PDA

View Full Version : new growth - good and bad

dropinthebucket
December 17th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Since starting supplements about 6 months ago, I have all kinds of new hair!! yeah!! :D

Ok, so now it's sticking out all over the place. Not just around the hairline, but everywhere. There's even whole hanks of it at the top, part way around, where you'd swear a hank of hair broke off! I thought I was losing hanks, until I checked the ends and saw they were tapered. So - new hair! and I have very fine, thin hair, so this is good, right?

Only thing is, it looks like my hair is very damaged because of all these bits sticking out everywhere. It looks like it's thin because it's breaking, not like it's thin and filling out with new growth.

I'm ecstatic to have the new hair, it's just that while it's shorter, it makes the length look damaged and tatty. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to help it while the hair was growing out?

sibiryachka
December 17th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I'm right there with you! Alas, the only solutions I've found are 1) wearing a scarf and 2) gritting my teeth and waiting for them to grow out long enough to be contained in a braid. Which aren't really solutions at all, just coping mechanisms.
As my little niece said when she was about 4: "I hate 'patient'; it means 'wait'!":(

spidermom
December 17th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Ah yes; the dandelion fluff stage; I know it well. When I'm in it, I stock up on styling wax, pomade, or putty because I just hate how I look with all those grizzled bits sticking up all over the place. I'd rather have helmet head, which I hope just looks like smooth hair to everybody else.

bumblebums
December 17th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Either slick them down or wash your hair less and let the sebum do the job. I have a lot of new growth that sprouted up during the end-of-summer spree, and it only lies down on day 3 after a wash...

excentricat
December 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Ah, yes, welcome to the world of dandelions :flowers:. I just use a little AVG and ignore the rest, or wear a hat. I don't have to look polished though, I'm not sure what to do if that's your goal.

principesse
December 17th, 2010, 11:06 AM
You can try using some hair wax to keep them down but what helps the most is just having a long-term perspective and knowing that in a few months max. those little hairs will sit properly and add to the thickness and beauty of your hair ;). It's just an awkward transition period and we all pass through those when growing out our hair :)