PDA

View Full Version : Anti-frizz??? Help!

Love23101
December 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM
My hair is VERY curly... and I need a shampoo or natural remedy to cure my 'frizzyness'. I'm currently using 'Whole Foods 365 lavender shampoo'. Before I shampoo, I use coconut oil. It usually get's rid of the frizz, but once I wash it out, the shampoo makes it frizz. Do you guys have any ideas of what shampoo I can use? Or... What natural remedy I can use?

triumphator!
December 16th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Perhaps the shampoo is washing out the good the coconut oil does? You're in luck though because there are so many natural remedies on here! Have you tried aloe vera gel as a leave in? Or perhaps CO washing? I hear that people with curly hair really benefit from it on the frizz front. Good luck :)

little_cherry
December 16th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I second the CO washing. It will help to settle the frizzies. :)

Also, there is Kimberlillys defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=defrizz+spray), and flax seed gel (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/recipes-%97-hair-body/61208-no-fail-flax-seed-gel-i-finally-did-twice.html). Also, have you tried a light coconut oiling your hair when it's damp?

Copasetic
December 16th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Are you using a conditioner? You really should be. Conditioner will really help with dryness and frizz. You might also want to try a curl cream and a gel.

eyesofsummer
December 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Conditioner! Curly hair needs plenty of moisture to keep those curls well-defined. Also, a cold rinse at the end of your showers could cut down on frizz, because it helps to seal the cuticle. I've also found that minimizing how much I touch my hair while it's drying helps control frizz.

Love23101
December 16th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks everybody! Yeah, I was only using a shampoo because I thought that the coconut oil would be the conditioner... so maybe instead of washing with a shampoo, I wash with a conditioner!

triumphator!
December 16th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks everybody! Yeah, I was only using a shampoo because I thought that the coconut oil would be the conditioner... so maybe instead of washing with a shampoo, I wash with a conditioner!

Fabulous! I love CO :heartbeat: !

Just be sure you look up the proper procedure. I think a lot of people try it out and then get frustrated because they don't do it properly. Good luck!! :)

Love23101
December 16th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Do you have any recipes for a leave in conditioner?

1hunky5monkeys
December 16th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Have you tried ACV rinses? They calm my hair. :) I use about 3 ozs. in my plastic 4 cup measuring cup and fill the rest of it with cool water. I pour it over my scalp and length and then rinse with cool water.

Love23101
December 16th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Nope, I haven't. I will try that sometime! Right now I just got out of the shower after using my sisters hair conditioner (tresemme) So... I'll try that if this doesn't work. :cheese:

Loreley
December 17th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Have you tried oiling your hair when it's wet? It works for me. A few drops of oil always do the trick.

Bellatrix
December 17th, 2010, 01:24 AM
For me it was less the products I used and how I treated my hair after washing it.

I can't towel dry. I have to squeeze out the excess water and then let the hair air dry if I want my hair to be frizz free. The water runs off it and smoothes it down...or something.

rena
December 17th, 2010, 09:29 AM
For me it was less the products I used and how I treated my hair after washing it.

I can't towel dry. I have to squeeze out the excess water and then let the hair air dry if I want my hair to be frizz free. The water runs off it and smoothes it down...or something.

Wow, I'm the exact same way! I can't do anything to my hair besides squeezing out the extra water and must keep it wet if I want it to dry decently...What an oximoron huh? :rolleyes:

Anje
December 17th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I'm just going to add a vote for CO washing. Shampoo makes my hair frizzy; I avoid using it.

You might want to look into the the Curly Girl method of haircare <naturallycurly.com>, or at <tightlycurly.com>. Conditioner, not shampoo, is going to be your friend....

eezepeeze
December 18th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I know you said you wanted to be natural, but sometimes some silicone is what you need to tame the frizz.

Frizz Ease AntiFrizz Serum in the purple bottle is my life saver!!! Since you are using shampoo, the silicones won't build up on your hair.

Also, it is REALLY hard to overconditions curly hair because it tends to be so dry. I actually do CO every other wash and use leave ins after every wash. I recently switched to olive oil because of winter dryness (rather than coconut oil) as a pre-wash.

For me, it's more about the post-wash treatment and products than the shampoo. Leave-in conditioner, serums, and curl enhancing gels are my go to products. I tried going no-cone for about 6 months, but simply couldn't conquer the frizz without them. Thank goodness I live in 2010 and not 1910!!!

ETA: I forgot to add the "treatment" part: never, ever, ever do I use a brush on my hair, wet or dry. Wide tooth combs only. When I get out of the shower, I squeeze the excess water from my hair and put it in a towel turban without roughing it up any--just wrapping. Then, I put the product in when it is soaking wet, focusing on my trouble spots and detangle with a wide tooth comb after the product is in. Then, DON'T TOUCH IT!! If I mess with it any more than that, it will disturb the curl pattern and cause the dreaded frizz

cataphract
December 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM
My hair is more wurly than curly, but I can get good results on a frizz day with some glycerin. I've recently also been doing lemon (vs acv) rinses with good results. Aloe with a little oil (barely enough to coat both hands when rubbed together) and swiped across wet hair also helps me.

BeccaAngel
December 18th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Always USE conditioner.... its a great difference trust me

Lianna
December 18th, 2010, 08:10 PM

If you totally quit shampoo, you must quit cones too. Like others said, please check the proper way to do it.

A drop of oil on damp hair takes away my frizz.

MajorasMask
December 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
The CO sounds like your best bet. I myself have wavy hair with curly ringlets. I have found that shampoo isn't the best to use on the length, but is most effective when used in just the right quantity to be used on the scalp only. The length can be "cleaned" with the CO just fine- no need to dry it out with shampoo.

MajorasMask
December 18th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Wow, I'm the exact same way! I can't do anything to my hair besides squeezing out the extra water and must keep it wet if I want it to dry decently...What an oximoron huh? :rolleyes:

Lol ditto!