PDA

View Full Version : little house on the prairie hair

squiggyflop
December 16th, 2010, 07:51 PM
anyone else seen some of the hair on little house on the prairie? i know a lot of it is hairpieces.. but a lot of them look very pretty.. all those braided buns and fancy twisted hairdos.. and they arent the kind of hairpieces that make the updos impossible with real hair.. they just make it so that you need very long hair to do them.. long hair like we have here on lhc

i just think that they make for great bun inspiration.. anyway thats all

PrincessTieflin
December 16th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I have been trying hard to duplicate Lauras bun when she is older.. some of them are way cool. Ma's bun is interesting But I dont think I can wear it lol

luckyduck
December 16th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Did anyone see the episode when Ma had her hair loose one night! It was beautifully long with bun waves. That is what I am going for.

squiggyflop
December 16th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Did anyone see the episode when Ma had her hair loose one night! It was beautifully long with bun waves. That is what I am going for.
huh.. what i saw there was that her hair was short (in comparison so my hair) and very short for the period.. (the real laura would have had much much longer hair too.. actually pretty much all the women who we see with hair down should have had longer hair)

ETA: well im a dork so i spent a whole 10 minutes tracking down how long lauras hair was.. she had knee length hair.. which wasnt uncommon considering that women wore their hair up the majority of the time.. its easy to have long hair when you never wear it down

bunzfan
December 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM
That show got me loving updo's.

MandaMom2Three
December 17th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I LOVE Ma's bun! I wish I could figure out how to do it! My hair is too short for it right now :(, but someday!

1953Diygal
December 17th, 2010, 11:09 AM
When I was little, I totally coveted Nellie Olson's "boing boing curls."

bluesnowflake
December 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I love the hair on this show! It was one of my inspirations for growing long. Funny thing. I used to think Laura's hair when she was little was so long and now I realize it was pretty short.

DarkChocolate
December 17th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I love Laura's hair:) I believe it is real. She had such thick braids when she was younger:) Laura's little sister Carrie's hair thickened up alot as she got older. One thing that I noticed is that the girl's hair got shorter as they got older... Mary's hair was cut alot and Carrie's hair was shorter after two season's or so. I am under the impression that for the most part the hair is real.

squiggyflop
December 17th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I love Laura's hair:) I believe it is real. She had such thick braids when she was younger:) Laura's little sister Carrie's hair thickened up alot as she got older. One thing that I noticed is that the girl's hair got shorter as they got older... Mary's hair was cut alot and Carrie's hair was shorter after two season's or so. I am under the impression that for the most part the hair is real.
the hair on the children was real, except nellie who had to wear a wig because they couldnt get her ultra straight hair to curl right.. ma's hair was also real.. however many of the women had fake hair added to their buns because the production people knew that the hair would be very very long and so the buns back then were very very big.. thats why mrs. olsen has such a big bun.. and many of the women who were not regulars on the show had fake hair too.. im fairly certain miss. beedles hair was a full wig.. but ma and the children had real hair.. and the reason ma's hair is so hard to replicate is because there was a hairnet put over the hair before it was bunned (its one of those so called invisible nets but you can see it on a high def tv with the dvds).. but with a hairnet im sure that one could replicate her style..

oh but when the actress who played laura grew up she had shoulder length hair that they styled and added a fake bun too according to Mellisa gilbert.. when she was out with her boyfriend she was seen with shoulder length hair..

yes its been confirmed miss beadle wore a wig and had very short hair.. but still those wigs had some of the nicest braided buns i ever saw..

mrs_coffee
December 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I begged my mom to let me have long hair like Laura Ingalls when I was young. I used to put tights on my head and pretend I had braids like Laura.

Carolyn
December 17th, 2010, 08:19 PM
huh.. what i saw there was that her hair was short (in comparison so my hair) and very short for the period.. (the real laura would have had much much longer hair too.. actually pretty much all the women who we see with hair down should have had longer hair)

ETA: well im a dork so i spent a whole 10 minutes tracking down how long lauras hair was.. she had knee length hair.. which wasnt uncommon considering that women wore their hair up the majority of the time.. its easy to have long hair when you never wear it downI'm a dork on things like that too. I did a lengthy report on Laura Ingalls Wilder when I was in the 6th grade. I remember reading she had knee length hair at one time and I was so awed by that.

SheaLynne
December 17th, 2010, 09:32 PM
See, if I'd only listened to what I was drawn to so many years ago, I wouldn't have spent all those years cutting and perming only to grow "long" (as far as waist) and repeat due to pressure to get it "styled".

I love, love, loved Laura and Mary's hair on Little House when I was a kid. Another *great* show to drool over hair updos (and hats) is the Anne of Green Gables movies. LOVE those hairstyles, and I'd probably give up all my modern conveniences to live in a time when women dressed so pretty!