PDA

View Full Version : Do you 'dirty' or prep hair for secure updos?

shikara
December 16th, 2010, 06:53 PM
This may (or may not) apply mainly to those with slippery hair. Mine is slippery even a day or more after washing. When I was searching for updos on the net, so many of them said it was important to dirty your hair - with spray, mousse, etc - so the updo would hold. I'm not sure I would want to do that, mostly because it may cause tangling. What have been your experiences?

luxepiggy
December 16th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I have extremely slippery hair, and I've never done that for updos. I will, however, lightly oil my hair before braiding, which seems to help it stay neat, so maybe that's an option.

LaurelSpring
December 16th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I like to make sure Ive got some good braid waves or curls to hold updos. That helps alot. When my hair is slippery I have alot of trouble keeping updos in place.

Carolyn
December 16th, 2010, 07:14 PM
No because then my hair just looks like dirty hair that was scraped into an updo. I can't stand my hair not looking clean. I don't find that my updo's hold any better on day 2 or 3 hair.

MissManda
December 16th, 2010, 08:04 PM
When my hair has just been washed, I have to use oil or AVG to help me tame it a little because not only is my hair a bit slippery, it gets rather fluffy, too and all my hair wants to do is poof. It doesn't get uber-poofy/fluffy or anything, but it's enough to be annoying when I'm trying to braid or put my hair up. If I don't put anything in my hair, it won't mellow out until Day Three after washing.

squiggyflop
December 16th, 2010, 08:13 PM
lol it cracks me up when i hear people have slippery hair.. mine is never ever slippery.. oh and i hardly ever use mousse

but um i do find that my updos are more sleek when my roots are um greasy.. but this is because i have 2 curly cowlicks (1 on each side) that form spiral antennae if they arent slicked back stuck with oil.. but the rest of my hair stays up just fine clean

oh and um braided updos are maybe the most stable for me without a pony band base

spidermom
December 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I find that not combing my hair nice and smooth helps an up-do to stay in place better. I also use product sometimes. I've got a gel/creme product that I finger-comb through sometimes; it helps, too.

luxepiggy
December 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM
lol it cracks me up when i hear people have slippery hair.. mine is never ever slippery.. oh and i hardly ever use mousse

but um i do find that my updos are more sleek when my roots are um greasy.. but this is because i have 2 curly cowlicks (1 on each side) that form spiral antennae if they arent slicked back stuck with oil.. but the rest of my hair stays up just fine clean

oh and um braided updos are maybe the most stable for me without a pony band base

In high school my friends used to tie my hair into double knots because they liked watching them slide out of their own accord :rolleyes:

Madora
December 16th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Why one would have to "dirty" their hair to do a proper updo just floors me.

I loathe having anything on my hair and have never had any trouble doing styles..it's just a question of proper tools, dexterity and patience.

slythwolf
December 16th, 2010, 09:35 PM
My hair stays pretty slippery for the first couple of days, but I haven't found any of the updos I do with sticks to be any kind of problem.

Rivanariko
December 16th, 2010, 09:46 PM
My hair is pretty slippery, but I generally choose updos that work with it. There are several that I just can't get to hold, so maybe it's because I'm not "dirtying" my hair first, lol!

I do use Aloe Vera gel occasionally if I want an updo to stay tidy looking, as I tend to have little bits that spring free

orbiting
December 16th, 2010, 09:48 PM
If I want an updo, it has to be done while my hair is wet.

Period.

If I put hair spray, gel or mousse in my hair, it just ends up hanging there and it won't stay up... and if I just have my hair dry and clean, it won't stay up. And if I put any kind of oil in my hair, I just look dirty and unwashed.

And my hair, if you knot it (like a rope) also just slides out... in seconds.

little_cherry
December 16th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I prep by oiling with coconut oil Personally, I don't mind if coconut oil solidifies in my hair when I have it up (it's always up). I used coconut oil all winter last year and never had any ill affects from the solidifying-- it holds your updo's well outside and melts when you're inside. I see it as a little protective layer from the wind if I go outside quickly without a hat.

Arya
December 16th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I have to put my hair up fresh out of the shower or it doesn't stay. My hair pities hairspray and laughs at mousse. My hair will not be restrained by updos!

Braids seem to be an exception, mostly because I am the master of tight braids. Buns and those 'messy buns' require fixing every 20 minutes, 10 minutes if I'm walking. They need to come up with some sort of traction spray).

milagro
December 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM
My hair is not slippery but I use gel or mousse if I want it to be tidy. Otherwise I will have a lot of frizz, bumps and stray hairs.

lapushka
December 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM
What they mean is probably to never do an updo on freshly washed hair. I'm not sure if that's another myth or not.

My hair isn't that slippery, but on washday an updo can be tricky without some product to give it hold. It just isn't as cooperative as it would be on day 2 or 3. No idea why.

Coan-Teen
December 17th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have to put my hair up wet/damp if I want it to stay, otherwise it will come out and it will mock my efforts to put it back. My hair is also slippery enough to laugh at knots. It's almost impossible to tangle. I don't know about dirty-ing the hair, though. I've never tried it.

ravenreed
December 17th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I have trouble french braiding my hair when it is wet as the ends like to snarl. I prefer my hair to be as clean looking as possible, and updo's never look good when my hair is oily. I have purchased some hair wax that I might try to help with french braiding but for every day buns and whatnot, I usually just stick pins in until things stay in place. I haven't used the wax yet because I am concerned about buildup, so it will probably be a special occasion thing only. I have had success with dry shampoos making my hair more amenable to holding.

It seems ironic that as I get my ends in good enough shape that they are slippy and don't tangle so much, the rest of my hair is getting harder to keep in updo's.

bunzfan
December 17th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I used to have this problem when i used hair sticks but since i started using hair forks i can do an updo with freshly washed hair, if i want a neater finish (like when i have a French braided bun i put in styling cream first)

Putting hair up while still damp can help slippery hair.

enfys
December 17th, 2010, 03:10 PM
My hair is slippery at least all of the first day after washing. I just redo it all the time or pin it in additon to using my sticks and forks.

Using dry shampoo definitely makes my hair stay better but I don't use it until my hair is greasy.

Fiordiligi
December 17th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I was in a play once where I was told to come with dirty hair so that they could put it up securely and I absolutely refused, because I have rather fine and sparse hair at my hairline, and when that gets greasy it is really not a good look. And I do not like a lot of product in my hair.

I like to make sure Ive got some good braid waves or curls to hold updos. That helps alot. When my hair is slippery I have alot of trouble keeping updos in place.

This, however, works for me too. My hair needs a bit of extra fullness to stay put best.

clichepithet
December 17th, 2010, 04:30 PM
If I want an updo, it has to be done while my hair is wet.

Period.

If I put hair spray, gel or mousse in my hair, it just ends up hanging there and it won't stay up... and if I just have my hair dry and clean, it won't stay up. And if I put any kind of oil in my hair, I just look dirty and unwashed.

And my hair, if you knot it (like a rope) also just slides out... in seconds.

:agree:

I don't mind my length looking dirty and unwashed from oils, as it's up 99.9% of the time anyway. Have to make sure I don't put it anywhere above my ears and extra careful on any further brushing and combing. Anyway, an updo done on dampish hair will hold like a rock until I decide to take it down. Dry... not so much. Dry I'll use a tiny bit of oil and aloe mixed through if necessary, but still only on the length. It helps. Sometimes.

ETA: Very heavy, defined braid waves or the odd surprise curl simply make my updos look messy. Subtle braid waves are OK, though.

Oz
December 17th, 2010, 04:38 PM
style it when wet... then it will stay in place.

QMacrocarpa
December 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM
In high school my friends used to tie my hair into double knots because they liked watching them slide out of their own accord :rolleyes:
Hmm, I guess I don't have slippery hair! In high school a friend who sat behind me in class would stick pens and pencils in my loose hair, fascinated that they wouldn't fall out. Anything to amuse our friends, eh? :rolleyes:

ddiana1979
December 18th, 2010, 12:39 AM
It looks like we're hair twins. I use aloe for updos to deal with the slipperiness & flyaways. It makes my hair look & feel shiny & soft after I've brushed it out, and it definitely doesn't cause tangling. :)

PrincessBob
December 18th, 2010, 01:02 AM
My own hair is semi-coarse so this is not a personal problem, but I ha e dealt with it. My sister, and MirrimBlackfox both have super slippy hair. My sister uses mouse and sprays, and her hair still falls, the difference maker for her is bunch-tons of bobby pins, and MirrimBlackfox's hair will fall out anyways and look dirty...

NouvelleNymphe2
March 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM
My hair is slippery at least all of the first day after washing.

This is my hair too, except mine is short so is difficult to get up. After a wash it is extremely slippy, and there isn't much I can really do about it. Later in my wash cycle (2nd or 3rd day) my natural oils and bbb keep my hair up and fairly secure. Like many others I add oils and butters to my ends, and this helps to some extent on a wash day.

telegraph64
March 29th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I always put my hair up slightly damp, I can't do it any other way, as it will not hold, nor will it be workable. First, I de-tangle with either my fingers or a wood comb, and then I use a mister bottle to dampen the locks prior to twisting up.

Calanthe
March 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM
That is what I do as well. Just misting over some filtered water from an old plant mister, as I don't like to use wax/mousse/gel/hairspray. I still have some halo hairs during the day but I got used to that. Seems like it is a common problem with 1a/1b types :rolleyes:. Usually, it's better on the second day and just fine from day three onwards.

HintOfMint
March 29th, 2011, 12:11 PM
My hair is coarser and fluffier after a wash and that actually helps for updos. My hair won't slide out as easily.

selderon
March 29th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I suspect 1 hair is the main reason for that advice. In my case, hair washed one or two days ago tends to stay where it is put, while freshly washed hair tends to spring or slip into whatever position it pleases. I resolve that with styling product or by choosing a secure style and styling damp.

Tiina
March 29th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I have plenty slippery (and simultaneously stiff!) hair but I don't use anything to 'dirty' it. I just make my up-dos as tight as possible and use pins in addition to my fork or sticks if it is feeling especially uncooperative.