PDA

View Full Version : any self-trimmers out there?

myria
December 16th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Watched a video on youtube by diesushibitch (sorry, can't find the link) where she trims her hair by putting it in a ponytail, sliding it all the way to the ends and then trimming them very slightly.

Has anyone ever used this method? What shape ends did it leave you with? Wouldn't it leave your ends in an upside-down u shape?

Ive only seen feye's method and I don't think I could get my hair even with it. I need a trim and don't trust the hairdresser. Last time I got a trim was this time last year - I asked for 2in off and went from just below waist to bsl :mad: Will not be back there (and yes, I kicked up a huge fuss and refused to pay so would probably not be welcome anyway :p)

HoneyJubilee
December 16th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I've trimmed using Feye's method.
I think the shape you end up with depends on whether your head is tilted downward or upward. I didn't really trim enough off to notice a change in the shape of my hemline, though...I only took off between 1/4 and 1/2 inch.

squiggyflop
December 16th, 2010, 07:36 PM
i trim my own hair all the time.. i dont like getting professional trims because i cant find a person i can trust to do them.. the hemline i get is the one you see in my siggy

luxepiggy
December 16th, 2010, 07:56 PM
The description of the video sounds exactly like Feye's self trim to me . . . however, I don't use Feye's method for self-trimming (my hair is too slippery, the elastic would just slide right on off the ends), so perhaps I'm wrong.

If you've got a friend you trust, perhaps you can self-trim using Feye's method, then ask your friend to help check for any uneven bits?

How long is your hair currently?

shikara
December 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I have been self trimming for years. I divide my hair in half and bring each side up to the front (clean hair). In the mirror I will give it a gentle brush or combing, then just use two of my fingers to 'catch' the hair where I want to trim, then bring it closer to me so I can easily do so. It has always looked just fine at the back - even and straight across. I don't trim off very much at all

Juneii
December 16th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Fairly certain that is Emichiee here on LHC. It does sound like Feye's self trimming method. I found it to give me a slightly tapering hemline for some reason. So I trim my hair like Shikara does, it gives my ends a bit more of a blunt cut. :)

ETA: Here are both ways you can trim your hair: Feye's Self Trim (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) I found the parting to the front works best, but it does get a bit harder as your hair gets longer..

Nae
December 16th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Fairly certain that is Emichiee here on LHC.

Yeah, that is definately our Emi, I haven't seen her around too much lately but I am glad to see her channel is still out there educating the masses. I hadn't seen that particular vid before, it is really interesting.

It looks like Feye's method but I haven't seen pictures of it done on such long hair before, very cool.

luxepiggy
December 16th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I have been self trimming for years. I divide my hair in half and bring each side up to the front (clean hair). In the mirror I will give it a gentle brush or combing, then just use two of my fingers to 'catch' the hair where I want to trim, then bring it closer to me so I can easily do so. It has always looked just fine at the back - even and straight across. I don't trim off very much at all

That's how I trim mine too . . . but I think one's hair needs to get to a certain length in order to do it this way. Or be super flexible perhaps (^(oo)^)v

IcarusBride
December 16th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I self-trim too! I'm pretty sure she wrote right in the video that she was demonstrating Feye's method.

MissManda
December 16th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I have been self-trimming since August and like many others here, I have had great success with it. :) I've seen a vast improvement in my hemline since I started trimming.

Alexannee10
December 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I trim my hair that way since 3 years now .. I don't trust hairdressers anymore lol

GeoJ
December 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I use the trimming method mentioned (the video is here (http://www.youtube.com/user/DieSushiBitch#p/u/6/hWRJ57j1AyI)). I get a straight hemline from it.

ETA: I have wavy hair, so my hemline can look different everyday, but I feel like it's a straight hemline if my hair was straight (I hope that makes sense).

myria
December 17th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Thank you all for the replies and to geoJ for finding the link :flower: - that is the video I meant.
My hair is between hip and tailbone (sorry, I don't measure it) but the ends are really thin and uneven for the last 2 inches after no trims for a year so I want it trimmed back to thicken them.
I think I'll try it anyway and only trim an inch rather than 2 just to check it comes out ok. I'd prefer it blunt cut but I'll risk tapered. I don't really mind as long as it comes out some shape that looks intentional rather than like I've lost an argument to Edward Scissorhands :)

may1em
December 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM
My last trip to a salon was in April 2008, but I've still trimmed my hair regularly every two to three months. Usually, I use Feye's u-trim, but lately I've taken to brushing all my hair forward and doing the ponytail thing without the ponytail.

pepperminttea
December 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
There's quite a few self-trimmers here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=36430). :) I'm one of them, I too use Feye's method for a blunt trim. I really like it, and I can do it in less five minutes, for free. :D It's a good idea to cut off half the amount you actually want off to start with - you can always do it again.

GRU
December 17th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I did a fairly big (for me -- 1"-2") chop over the summer using the Feye Method to get rid of my really nasty ends and now I'm just S&Ding as needed.

Without layers, I see no reason to blow $20+ for a trim.... especially since I'm spending so much money on hairtoys now! :o

LaurelSpring
December 17th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I use a modified version of Feye's method. My hair is also fine and if I try to do it like Emichee it gets all uneven when I am pulling the tie down my hair. What I did that is working really well for me is that I pony band my hair all down the length every inch or so. This keeps all of the hair steady and firm and it does not shift around. Then, I am able to pull it around and trim it.

I have been self trimming for a couple of years now doing this with good results.

mellie89
December 17th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I use a modified version of Feye's method. My hair is also fine and if I try to do it like Emichee it gets all uneven when I am pulling the tie down my hair. What I did that is working really well for me is that I pony band my hair all down the length every inch or so. This keeps all of the hair steady and firm and it does not shift around. Then, I am able to pull it around and trim it.

I have been self trimming for a couple of years now doing this with good results.

I've only self-trimmed once so far, but this is exactly what I did. My hair is way too slippery to just slide the ponytail holder down and expect it to stay even. I also have layers, which only makes it harder. The multiple-ponytail holder method worked perfectly, though! I took off about a half-inch, and it evened up my hemline really nicely.

Emichiee
December 17th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Yeah, that is definately our Emi, I haven't seen her around too much lately but I am glad to see her channel is still out there educating the masses. I hadn't seen that particular vid before, it is really interesting.

It looks like Feye's method but I haven't seen pictures of it done on such long hair before, very cool.

Yes thats me ^^

I have been self trimming with Feye's Method since 2006.
I used it for getting rid of layers gradually, and right now, getting rid of taper after hair loss.

It trims fairly even although I noticed tilting your head back or forward it can affect the hemline a bit...I think forward could give it more of a U-shape and back the opposite? But I have not actually tried it.
I have sucessfully trimmed other peoples hair with Feyes Method too. Anything from shoulderlength to buttlength :)

jeanniet
December 18th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I use Feye's method to dust every month (U-shape). Works great for me, although if I had straight hair I'd probably be scared to do it. Curly hair is more forgiving of mistakes at the hemline.

christine1989
December 18th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I trim using the ponytail method you described and my hemline comes out straight across. It is eaiser on my hair though since it has a bit of wave to it so if my trimming was uneven it would not be too obvious.

freckles
December 18th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I haven't had a professional cut since September 2009 (before that I went ~2 years no trimming at all). Since then, I've trimmed myself 3 or 4 times I think (using Feye's self trim), but my last trim DBF did. I don't know whether that makes me a self-trimmer. More a sporadic-and-by-all-different-people trimmer. :lol:

Avvoltoio
December 18th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I have seen her video too, and i started to use that self trim method too, but i started it just only in august

feralnature
December 18th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I did a self-trim a few weeks back using Feye's method to cut a "V- shape". I cut off only a inch or so of fried looking, damaged hair. It had not been trimmed in 3 years.