PDA

View Full Version : Curlies - What Do You Do...

Patchouli
March 12th, 2008, 03:46 AM
... With you locks at night? Do you leave your hair loose and free or braid it?

Whether leaving it loose or braiding I always lose a bit of curl through the night.

So what do you do?

Neon Gloss
March 12th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I leave it loose, but I avoid sleeping on it to prevent flatter hair the next morning.

When I lay down, I lift my head a bit and finger brush my hair above my head so that it hangs over the bed. It certainly adds volume, if you don't have enough of that already. However, if you don't finger brush ALL of it above your head (even from the front of your head), you'll most likely end up with a dent in your hair.

shrimp
March 12th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I either braid or dampen then re-plop my hair. A lot of the curl gets dragged out from being up during the day so I'm not too precious about it (as it'll be hidden in another updo again the next day)

Curlsgirl
March 12th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I can't stand to wear my hair secured at night in any way. I take it and sort of throw it over the pillow but I am sure it doesn't stay that way all night ha ha. I have pretty good curls in the morning anyway though. By the third day after washing I am usually wearing it in an updo anyway. I started using my satin pillowcase again and I can tell that since it's longer it really helps. I couldn't really tell that much at shorter lengths.

yzkaloha
March 12th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I don't wear my hair out much, and when I do, Its hard for me to get second day curls that aren't flattened out. Glad to know I am not the only one with this problem:).

In the past, I have tried wearing my hair in a really loose high ponytail to sleep, and that method worked the best for me. I would still have some flattened out girls in the underneath layer but everything else was maintained pretty good. Now, I wear my hair in a loose bun to sleep since 90% of the time my hair is in a bun or a twist. HTH.

Kittee
March 12th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Well I have two problems currently.

1. Leaving it down invites either me or the hubby to roll over on it during the night effectively pinning me down like a pins through butterfly wings.

2. Braiding it into one long rope...seams like I always roll over on that now too and laying on that little knot where the elastic is...OUCH.

But usually I braid it up, if not I have one hellova frizzy mess in the am.:o

harley mama
March 12th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I go to bed with my hair just as I wore it that day. I am lazy and it is seldom that I do any nightly pampering to my tresses before I head off to bed! Sometimes I will detangle if it is really bad.

redcelticcurls
March 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I pineapple with decent results. Braiding takes out way too much curl.

cuddledumplin
March 12th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I just wear it loose. I know I should put it up in some way, but I just find it uncomfortable.

Kittee
March 12th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I pineapple with decent results. Braiding takes out way too much curl.

Ok you've got me. What is "pineapple?"

CurlyNinja
March 12th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Pineappling is when you take all your hair and put it in a loose pony at the top of your head with a soft scrunchi.

I never get "second day hair," so I usually wear it up if I can't wet, detangle etc. in the shower. I've been putting my hair in a braid at night to help keep it out of my way while I sleep and minimize the tangles.

Sanela
March 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM
If you want to "repair" your curls try moisturising them with water...wet palms of your hands and go through your hair few times. Repeat that process if your hair is thicker. If your hair is naturally curly it shoud get more volume and that perfect round shape curls. Then detangle your hair tips with either fingers or brush..and if you want your hair to shine apply some oil onto it. Thats all.

coppercurls
March 12th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I go to bed with my hair just as I wore it that day. I am lazy and it is seldom that I do any nightly pampering to my tresses before I head off to bed! Sometimes I will detangle if it is really bad.

Me too most days. I will plop occasionally with decent results.

hrimfaxi
March 12th, 2008, 01:00 PM
A lot of the curl gets dragged out from being up during the day so I'm not too precious about it (as it'll be hidden in another updo again the next day)

This is the case for me as well. Sometimes it'll maintain the curl (or wurl) no matter what I do to it, but for the most part I end up pulling the curls out fairly quickly by having it up all day. If I braid it, which I usually do, it actually tends to get some curl back at night in the tassel if I leave a long tassel...

rhubarbarin
March 12th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I wear it loose. I haven't had problems with tangling, and I don't lose much curl during the night.. the only problem is frizz, and that isn't helped by wearing it braided or bunned to bed, or by my silk pillowcases.

Jorchet
March 13th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I put my hair up in a pineapple to bed. I used to sleep on a low ponytail, but that was aaaaaages ago before discovering the CG method, I think that nowadays curls would go flat if I slept on them.

Now I pile up all my hair on top of my head and secure it loosely - but not too loosely otherwise it gets dragged down by its weight - I get pretty good hair after pineappling all night.

This is my pineapple, btw (click on thumbnail for full size)

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/Jorchet/Curls/th_DSC8607-vi.jpg (http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/Jorchet/Curls/DSC8607-vi.jpg)

Shufro
December 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
I just let it lay over my head on my pillow or else it might get a bit flat cuz my hair isnt that curly its more wavy.. hehe

girlcat36
December 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
I also 'pineapple' for decent second day curls.

GlassEyes
December 3rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
My hair is too short to do anything with it without damage, so I sleep with it loose.

Maybe if I get a scrunchie or something...

Copasetic
December 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
i usually put in a loose braid on the side of my head. i dont like how it feels when it is right down the middle of my neck. or i just leave it down.

DotDotDot
December 3rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
I wear it in an infinity bun with my ficcare, unless I plan on wearing it down and curly the next day, in which case I throw it over the pillow and it's fine in the morning.

Lady Lilya
December 3rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
I generally end up with a pineapple type thing to sleep. But the next day, if I want to wear it (or any part of it) loose, I have to re-wet it. Otherwise I wear it in an up-do.

Pierre
December 4th, 2008, 06:35 AM
In summer, I do two Dutch braids and cover them with a Buff. But at this time of year, I don't care what my curls look like; they're tucked in a Polar Buff for warmth. So I just pile the hair on top of my head and put the Buff on.

Ryanne
December 4th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I braid it, or put a few scrunchies around the length.

Anne~
December 4th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Braid it and tuck it into a silk nite cap.

Heidi_234
December 4th, 2008, 12:17 PM
If you air dried your hair in a rope braid for barrel curls, sleeping in a rope braid keeps the curls perfectly. With rope braiding at nights you can have the same awesome curls on day 6 as you had on day 1, and maybe even better because they are more defined. I swear by it!

boomygrrl
December 4th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I cannot sleep unless I'm absolutely comfortable, and even then not so well. I have insomnia.
So, preserving my hair is not an option for me. My sanity is.
I just let it be when I sleep. I like washing my hair in the mornings anyways. By washing, I mean water washing, CO washing, or occasional shampooing. And I need the moisture provided in conditioning my hair everyday.
Plus, my body feels dirty if I don't "wash" my hair in some form or fashion. That's even when I shower all of my body, except my hair.
So, I let it mess in the night and just "wash" it in the morning. That's what works best for me.

RedFrizz
December 6th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I usually braid my hair in pigtails or wear it on top of my head in a bun. I never get the 2nd day curls without washing (WO usually) my hair in the morning before going to work, and during these colder month this is quite frustrating sometimes.. I hope that by the time my hair gets longer I'll be able to do good looking up-dos and I wouldn't even have to worry about 2nd day curls.

Honey39
December 6th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I leave it loose, and if I'm not going to be washing it again the next day, I put conditioner on the ends, and then add loads of water and scrunch up the ears. I get lovely, soft, frizz free second day curls using this method, which is pretty good. I can't take it to a third day though, because there is too much conditioner on my hair at that point. But I like washing my hair, to be honest, so it's not a problem

I've always felt that when I do secure my hair at night (eg if oiling), then my hair feels like it gets more traction and pulling damage at the temples, which worries me.

RedButterfly
December 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I usually leave it loose, thrown over my pillow. I use a satin pillow case.

I sometimes do a single braid and put a silk scarf over my hair.

~GypsyCurls~
December 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I either leave it loose or just put it in a very loose ponytail...wearing a satin bonnet is good too, although maybe not the sexiest option ;)

Satin pillowcases are also very gentle on curls.