PDA

View Full Version : winter mist mix

Heartwillfollow
December 16th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I have been working on a mist mix and finally I got the amounts just right.. We had our first snow fall today with the temps staying cold all day I wanted to try a mix since my hair was feeling dry when I woke up ..

The mix is castor oil, evoo oil, honey, and spring water..

Best way to discribe the measurements is the cap that is off a regular water bottle
1/2 cap full of castor oil
2 caps full of evoo oil
1 drop of honey
Spring water in an 8oz mister bottle..

shake well before use

I parted my hair all over, to reach all areas of my scalp , then misted the ends. Used a wide combed to move the excess mix from top to bottom of my hair, simple braid and put my snood on.. that was under my hoodie while I was out in the cold doing chores for the animals..

it came out perfect, soft, fluffy and light... It also feels really good on your skin :)

HairFaerie
December 16th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Ohhh! That sounds wonderful!

I have a few questions...
What would the shelf life be for this?
Do you apply it on wet hair and then leave it in?

Thank you!

Heartwillfollow
December 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Ohhh! That sounds wonderful!

I have a few questions...
What would the shelf life be for this?
Do you apply it on wet hair and then leave it in?

Thank you!

Shelf life, as long as it wasn't exposed to extreme heat I feel it will keep until you use it up..

I put it on completely dry hair,, it feels slight damp after applying it,, not saturated.. I use a heavier mix to saturate my hair for a deep pre wash soak and wrap it with plastic wrap and a snood to sleep in before washing it the next morning So too much of ingredients will make your hair heavy, or crunchy especially the honey..

These are the ingredients I use on mending owies on the animals so I know it has good properties for healing.. Especially 3 geese that a dog I brought in from VA tore large portions of the skin off their necks (the dog didn't know any better) I was amazed that all the geese excelled in healing, (honey prevented any infections from happening) and the skin grew back completely without scaring, even all the feathers grew back,, you can't tell they had lost all the skin off the entire neck area down to just exposed tissue.. I was so impressed to see it..

it was just a matter of working on the amounts, for hair.. so it wouldn't turn out too heavy or too crunchy...

Love23101
December 16th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Sounds awesome!

shikara
December 16th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Seems like something that would be good to try! Winter here is dry and can get to minus 30 Celsius with windchill of minus 40, although its been a warmer one so far. Would this be a good solution to mist on once or twice during the day, or do you think build-up (crunchiness) would be too much? I thought oil didn't mix with water....

Heartwillfollow
December 17th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I honesty think it would build up being crunchy or be heavy,, with frequent applications.. That was the issue I was having when I was using more of the ingredients.. Had put it on yesterday morning after waking up with my hair so dry from the heat on in the house and not sleeping with it covered. Kept it covered while I was outside and while I slept last night.. Hair is still soft this morning not heavy or crunchy. So I wouldn't attempt to use another application unless it was dry again. Just know from experience too much would turn heavy or crunchy . Hope that is helpful.. :)

minicana
December 17th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Thank you for sharing this. I have been wanting a mist for my hair, but I didn't know where to start. This has been most helpful.

HairFaerie
December 17th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I think I might add a few drops of essential oils...because I love the smell of them! :)

Hmmmmm....maybe lavender, orange & mint. I will experiment.

Thanks again!

Heartwillfollow
December 17th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I think I might add a few drops of essential oils...because I love the smell of them! :)

Hmmmmm....maybe lavender, orange & mint. I will experiment.

Thanks again!

That is great HairFaerie, do try it with and without the honey and let me know how you feel about it the difference.

Thanks for the support everyone. I want to CWC only twice a month and hopefully a good mix will keep my hair soft and flexiable between them, ( winter is a new challenge)

squiggyflop
December 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
um doesnt um water repel oil? how do you keep the oil from just sitting on the top.. i mean.. how do you get the oil to come out when you spray it? because it floats and spray bottle usually have the straw thing all the way at the bottom

Heartwillfollow
December 17th, 2010, 03:53 PM
um doesnt um water repel oil? how do you keep the oil from just sitting on the top.. i mean.. how do you get the oil to come out when you spray it? because it floats and spray bottle usually have the straw thing all the way at the bottom

I just keep shaking the mix before spraying .. It is very watery but the other ingredients are there without being over powering... :)

Heartwillfollow
December 22nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
just a quick update I have been spraying my hair in the morning since the 16th and sometimes at night with the mix I made. Haven't washed it yet. Still very happy and not experiencing build up.. , still soft and light to the touch.. I just section to spray my scalp comb through spray my ends braid and put my snood on before I go and work outside in the cold temps we are going through here in Colorado..... Other heavier mixes I made using more ingredients did feel sticky crunchy and heavy and make my hair color look darker.. This new mix is not doing that... :)

jesis
December 22nd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Is this heavy? Would it be too heavy for curly hair? I often find what works for those with straight hair doesn't so much for us curly heads.

Heartwillfollow
December 22nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
I have straight average hair.. to me once it absorbs my hair feels light and not heavy :)

edited to ask
do you think wearing my hair covered causing heat, instead of being exposed to the eliments is the reason I am getting such a softness

HairFaerie
December 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM
I made my own variation of this mist and I LOVE IT!

I was nervous about the honey for some reason so I omitted it.

I used a small amount of castor oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil & several essential oils for scent. I used mostly water in small, 2 oz. bottle. You do have to shake it very well first before each spray so the oil gets around.

I spray it on after I dry it and it leaves my hair very smooth and wonderfully scented! Definitely a good cure for winter static!

Thanks again for the idea!

Heartwillfollow
December 22nd, 2010, 03:05 PM
That is excellent HairFaerie !!! very happy it's been helpful.

Fairlight63
December 22nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
I made the recipe that Heartwillfollow posted & shaked it up very good.

I had just washed my hair & it was about dry & getting frizzy. I sprayed it real good with the mixture & my hair is so much better! It turned soft & formed ringlets! I LOVE this spray! It is better than any store bought leave in that I have ever used.:p

Thank you Heartwillfollow for posting this recipe, it is my new staple.

Uni&Corn
December 22nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Sounds super moisturizing. I might have to try this for my dry ends!

Heartwillfollow
December 23rd, 2010, 06:33 AM
I made the recipe that Heartwillfollow posted & shaked it up very good.

I had just washed my hair & it was about dry & getting frizzy. I sprayed it real good with the mixture & my hair is so much better! It turned soft & formed ringlets! I LOVE this spray! It is better than any store bought leave in that I have ever used.:p

Thank you Heartwillfollow for posting this recipe, it is my new staple.

Thanks Fairlight63 for the feedback :).. I hope it works well long term as well.