PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your curly hair?

Love23101
December 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
What tips or tricks help you keep your curls healthy?

:p

Love23101
December 16th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I use coconut oil 2 hours before I shower and I use a lavender shampoo... I let it air dry. I don't comb my hair too much because my hair can pull out easy sometimes.

Nae
December 16th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Conditioner only works really well for curlies. That type of hair seems to love moisture over all.

I am no where near a 4a/4b but I do have some curls. I use a lot of coconut oil, I usually do a deep soak before my washes and then a touch of coconut oil in afterwards. I usually use a shampoo bar from Chagrin Valley Soaps. Various types, right now I am rotating using Carrot Milk and Honey, Mud and Clay and Olive Babassu. I love them, right after I use them, while the cuticles are still open I use some Garnier Fructis Triple Condition, which is cone-free so it works well with my shampoo bars. Then I finish with an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse.

I jump out of the shower; add the coconut oil and lob some cone free Suave conditioner in as a leave in and then run some Aloe Vera gel through my hair. I then let it air dry without touching.

If I find myself too lazy to use the shampoo bars I grab a bottle of Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet shampoo and conditioner. Still usually use the coconut oil, leave in and aloe vera gel. But using Burt's is only an occasional thing.

Here is a great thread for Wurlies and Curlies, you might want to check that out!!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369

ETA: Never mind, I see you are WAY ahead of me and found that thread already.

ETA2: Nightblooming Panacea is awesome for frizzies! Nightblooming's shop can be found on etsy.

cataphract
December 16th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Deny. Get angry. Bargain. Get depressed..... and then accept.

Juuuust kidding :) I'm still working on my ideal routine however, I have found that I have to be conservative with the oil or my texture goes away. Chamomile hydrosol (or tea) spritzed all over before bed makes it happy though. Makes sleeping happy too, incidentally.

One drop of lavender oil with one drop of jojoba or vitamin e rolled between my hands and scrunched into my hair helps when I have frizz halo.

redneckprincess
December 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Lots and lots of conditioner, (no shampoo,) coconut oil, and little combing.

curlymarcia
December 17th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I usually CO, but I take deep treatment and wash with shampoo once a week. To style I use a leave in conditioner and then flax seed homemade "gel" for fixation and definition, and comb while still wet. To avoid frizz the next day I sleep in a satin cap, I have satin pillowcase but the satin cap keep better the curls. The haircut/length is also important, when my hair was just passing shoulder length (or shorter) I had a hard time controlling it.

EbonyCurls
December 18th, 2010, 05:12 PM
- my fingers are the best tool
- work in small sections (when detangling, when conditioning, when applying product)
- detangle hair with fingers, in sections, BEFORE wetting and washing
- when wearing curly I use a moisture-retaining, alcohol and wax-free clear gel. It keeps my hair clumped together and contained, instead of flying everywhere and getting tangled. Gel also keeps my hair clumped which creates a dense, protective shield that retains moisture. I realized this when one day, on day 2 hair, I broke open this fat clump at the back of my head and the hair inside, while not wet, was smooth, soft and almost moist.
- I always use leave in conditioner before putting on gel.

Copasetic
December 18th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I really don't do anything special to my hair. I try not to wash it every day. I condition it every time I get it wet. I use a curl cream, and a gel. That's it.

PrincessTieflin
December 22nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
Co every other day coconut oil sometimes a smoothing product (most in the summer), blowfry bangs.. do some sort of bun, or braid to loosen the curls a bit.. and leave it alone till I take it down

Siava
December 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
My hair is usually put up so I don't normally use styling products. I do have gel and hairspray for special occassions. When washing, I switch between diluted shampoo or full strength dandruff shampoo since I'm prone to flakes, and condition every time. I sleep on satin pillowcases and use my fingers or a wide tooth comb. My hair is fairly fragile so I try not to mess with it too much.

jesis
December 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
I just started CO, I apply my products to wet hair, only use a wide tooth comb or my fingers, never use a towel on my hair, avoid heat, protect my hair from the wind (because curls are hard to put up I've learned!), deep condition often, and just generally avoid messing with it throughout the day.

CurlyTresses
December 22nd, 2010, 08:54 PM
These are just some of the things I have consistently been doing lately for my curls/hair and it's helping my hair tremendously. Also reading loads of information here on LHC. This community has a wealth of helpful information. ;)

-Doing weekly deep treatments of coconut milk, sometimes adding honey.
-applying olive or coconut oil on hair ends, sometimes mix with unrefined shea butter and apply throughout hair before a wash.
-I mainly do co-washes, or use a low-sulphate shampoo maybe twice a month.
-Sometimes add honey to my rinse out conditioner
-ACV rinses after co-washes
-Lately have been wearing hair in a braid or in updo.
-Always use leave-in conditioner
-Recently started using henna.
-Very rarely use heat on my hair
ETA: also use wide-tooth comb to detangle and I don't use a towel, only tee-shirt on hair

09robiha
December 23rd, 2010, 03:42 AM
errr lets see - what works for me??

Conditon, conditon. conditon! I spray my hair damp then apply condish and let it sit for a good 30 - 60 minutes and then rinse it out. This is the one thing that has made the biggest differance to my hair. Instead of absorbing lots of water my hair absorbs the condish instead!

Protein heavy products and regular protein treatments.

Never comb or brush (I work out any tangles with my fingers when wet with conditoner)

A little curl creme and gel helps me to get nicely formed curls

A put my hair on a ponytail on the top of my head when I go to bed to keep it out of my face/off my back/stop it from strangling me lol :D