PDA

View Full Version : feeling horrible-Hair DISASTER

Cleopatra18
December 16th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I really need to let this out and also hoping it may help someone.few weeks back,I decided to try black tea rinses to have more control over my shedding (It was within normal,just not that low).so I added it as a final rinse after my washing routine.at the same time,i got really lazy and during a 2 weeks period,I washed 4 times (everytime ending with black tea rinse),and I only detangled twice lightly during that period,and rarely gave any attention or product after the washing.It was too bad that sometimes i even kept the same bun till the next wash (approx. 4 days)without even redoing it.
Result: extremly dry tangled hair.Roots are all tangled up in really tight dreads that wouldnt undo no matter what.
over the course of a week i tried to detangle each day to remove abit of the tangles but it was impossible to put a comb in the roots part.
Diaster # 2 ----> I read on some website on using ghee as a moisture treatment with the deep conditioner,I thought it would be like oil just a little heavier which my hair seem to need.I thought it will help to comb through the hair.so I did it.
result : it was too cold the ghee was in clumps in my hair.Didnt wash out at all.It made the rest of my hair form tight dreads sealed with the ghee (think of wax used in forming real dreadlocks).

so today I hopped into the shower,shampooed my hair really well and then put a ton of all the conditioners i have at the moment,and detangled to the last bit.good news is I finally got rid of all the tangled.bad news: The amount of hair that came out was unbelievable.I expected to have alot of hair but not close to this,because over the past week i already got a ton of hair out with the detangling sessions i was trying to do.
exactly the same time last year,i went through a horrible phase of shedding that had me going to a dermatologist and spending a fortune.I would be devastated if this is happening again.I just had a shedding in May-June,and a breakage setback in march and I cant deal with another setback right now.My hair is in horrible shape and my fairy tale ends are worse than ever even with the microtrims I am trying to do.
I know this is mainly my fault but I honestly up to my eyes in work from college and exams etc,besides its freaking cold here right now,and thats defently not helping my hair :(
Thank you so much if you read my entire post,I just feel very discouraged and needed to get it off my chest (my friends irl think im hair obssesed)

cataphract
December 16th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Could it just be that all that shedding was just the accumulated shedding of a few weeks that was stuck in the bun?

:( At any rate, I hope your hair is doing better now.

Night_Kitten
December 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I hope your hair will get back to itself soon :grouphug:
Maybe a deep moisture treatment can help?

heidi w.
December 16th, 2010, 01:19 PM
When we have hair disasters like this, it's normal to shed A LOT of hair, especially if we haven't been able to fully detangle our hair. I wouldn't fret over that.

What I would recommend is that you find someone with YOUR hair type and see what they do.

I would only do one thing at a time, one new thing that you want to try, and see how it works.

I would cease trying all this exotic stuff. Hair grows best when pretty much left alone. Wash rinse, condition, repeat. Keep the hair clean, sleep on a slippery surface, wear hair up, and get a good trim once-in-a-while to work on that hemline.

The most exotic is maybe if you have a fair amount of body, condition only washes.

I mean, ghee? do you know what ghee is? It's essentially a form of lard. Last I knew lard doesn't clean a thing. Nor does it condition. The biggest idea of good hair care is treat the hair like old antique lace....easy does it. Use a wide tooth comb. Condition well. Hair washing is not for the hair as much as it is for cleaning the scalp skin. It's a hygenic practice. Last I heard, ghee doesn't clean. We don't clean a thing with ghee, not a pan, not a bathtub, not the skin.

Black tea. What's that supposed to do? I would check with LHC, a more reliable source of information with plenty of fairly experienced folks who've been at it a while. If you read this board at all, I'm pretty sure that using ghee and black tea is pretty low on the list of mentions to do.

There's no quick anything you can do to hair to make it do anything fast. Long beautiful tresses is the art of patience. I strongly recommend you find a "hair twin" who's hair is very similar to yours, pay attention to what they do (and I'm betting it's going to be fairly simplified process). You should not be in the shower 4 times a week. Maybe twice, at best washing hair somehow. Find a routine that works, and stick to it. Avoid the exotic.

When people get in trouble is when they stray from a routine that works based on some fling of reading a bottle description, or listening to some inexperienced person, or being flighty in their commitment to the cause.

IF you ask us who are uber long hairs, we'll all tell you one thing. Leave it alone. Stick to your routine. That's it. None of us are busy scoping out websites for the exotic. We look at this crap with jaundiced eye.

Hopefully I'm helpful. Your goal should you choose to accept your mission: find your hair twin.

This tape will blow up in 10 seconds...9, 8, 7....(jes bringing levity to the table).

Take heart, all things will improve if you just take it easy and avoid the exotic. In 2-3 months you'll be in a different place. Trust me. This too shall pass.

heidi w.

breezefaerie
December 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
That's no fun. :(
I'm also thinking that it could be the hairs that you would have normally in that time frame all coming at once since they were stuck.

I hope your hair is back to normal soon!

Edited to add: Or just listen to heidi w. as she has the best advice :)

gretchen_hair
December 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM
It's too late to have a do over, but I would suggest to stop using so many tea rinses, it could be drying out your hair. I would also suggest combing the tangles out of your hair nightly, before you go to sleep and adding conditioner, either straight or a leave in, or some coconut oil, shea butter, anything to keep it from being all dry.

If you want long healthy hair, you have to give it some amount of care, I know you can devote 5 minutes to combing and oiling and bunning before bed, if you don't, you wll end up this way week after week.

ETA: You can't detangle 2 times in 2 weeks or longer and not have tangled, knotted hair. You have to spend some time on it.

heidi w.
December 16th, 2010, 01:25 PM
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/black-tea-benefits.html
Apparently black tea is good as a hair colorant....hmmm.

Well, colored hair really needs a lot of conditioning, typically, and there are better and worse products for coloring hair. In fact, anyone considering coloring, I would recommend that a good expense of funds would be to do some homework before dipping the head and learn about products and what a given coloring will do to hair's condition from a professional colorist. Not all stylists are good at coloring. COloring is its own art form, and not a slight undertaking.

There are shampoos that need to be used for color-treated hair. That shine can dull significantly otherwise.

Mostly, hair in its natural state tends to look its best, and generally, the best colorists advise against coloring if one is rather young. It's well known that coloring can definitely dry and crack hair and upset the cuticle (the outer layer of hair).

Anyway, this will pass. Again, I wouldn't fret a moment further on the hair loss. What you describe what went on, that volume of hair loss is NORMAL.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 16th, 2010, 01:33 PM
It's too late to have a do over, but I would suggest to stop using so many tea rinses, it could be drying out your hair. I would also suggest combing the tangles out of your hair nightly, before you go to sleep and adding conditioner, either straight or a leave in, or some coconut oil, shea butter, anything to keep it from being all dry.

If you want long healthy hair, you have to give it some amount of care, I know you can devote 5 minutes to combing and oiling and bunning before bed, if you don't, you wll end up this way week after week.

ETA: You can't detangle 2 times in 2 weeks or longer and not have tangled, knotted hair. You have to spend some time on it.

I don't know what state of affairs your hair is in at the moment, but overall, I second Gretchen_hair's suggestions above.

You could wash the hair, then load up a bit on the hair length only (avoid the scalp hair, that is hair close to the scalp) with some version of conditioner, oiling, that kind of thing.....

You could lay do a heavy conditioning by washing the hair, apply conditioner, cap, get out of the shower, stay out for 30-60 minutes, hair capped meanwhile with conditioner in it (capping keeps the humidity so cuticle is open so conditioner can bond to cortex)......then back in the shower after about 30 min...or so......rinse it all out. Use good fairly warm water (not tepid). If you MUST detangle while wet, start at the bottom, and work your way up. Go SLOW. Easy does it.

Otherwise detangle after air dry.

But use a wide tooth comb, not a brush, and no pulling from the scalp. If you detangle while wet you'll lost more hair, and in this situation, even if you do it when dry.

You could consider purchasing a detangle spray such as they use for kids this round, to help you a bit.

From here on out, sleep on a slippery surface for the pillowcase.
Use a humidifer at night to help in winter dryness to put moisture in the air. It makes a difference to skin and nose and mouth. AND hair. (less or no static).

You can re-oil once a bit dry. Take it easy. It's easier to add more. If you're not used to oiling it can take about 2 times to figure out the right amount. If too heavy, just wait a few hours to a whole entire day, and the next for full absorption.

This will give silkiness to your hair.

Whenever we even just wash the hair, we're removing some "moisture" -- sebacious gland waxy-ester (oils). Generally we need to moderately replace what's been removed, particularly the longer the hair is as it doesn't generally go down the length by itself much beyond about 6 inches. So you have to help it. If you do a clarifying hair wash, such as Baking Soda, then you're truly stripping the hair of everything, and then you must replace what's been removed.

Again, avoid the exotic.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 16th, 2010, 01:38 PM
If you want to see some gorgeous hair, I recommend Madora's historical photos in her album.

She historically has gone with George Michael techniques, and I met her back in 2000 through friends. A truly interesting person and very knowledgeable about hair.

Lady Godiva is another person to think about looking into.

Denise has gorgeous locks.

Dave D has a lot of hair care experience and offerings.

GetoffmySkittle has lovely hair.

There are plenty of others that I know of, having had the good fortune to meet these folks.

Lady Grace (she's generally not on LHC; she is over at Floor Length Hair Club 2). There's others there perhaps for you to check out.

I would go after the folks that have longer hair than you, and have been at it a while and have their routine down.

You might also check out Long Hair Loom. Lots of wonderful women over there with a ton of experience, and it's free.

Hopefully one of these suggestions may even represent a "hair twin" for you to enter into dialogue with.

heidi w.

IndigoAsh
December 16th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Ok, so I know everyone answered already. I just want to say that I have to brush my hair out a LOT! Like omg buns especially, and braids... and after 'being' with my husband I get mats in my hair that can take all night to fix. I replace my bun 2/3 times a day and finger comb it in between on the back of my head especially to keep it from matting. I gave up on braids completely for the time being.
I get quite a bit of shedding when I end up in a hair fiasco. I never notice it much though. I suggest brushing or combing it once a day and give that a try. Hairs come loose and with kinky hair it tangles easy. I have strands of hair that knot themselves!!!

triumphator!
December 16th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Take a deep breath: everything is going to be okay. I recommend taking it down and combing it once a day, adding a thin layer of conditioner to the length, and bunning it for a couple weeks. Just take it easy, and only do the bare minimum. You're going to be just fine :)

cindy58
December 16th, 2010, 02:03 PM
heidi and gretchen are giving the same advice I would.

heidi w.
December 16th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Ok, so I know everyone answered already. I just want to say that I have to brush my hair out a LOT! Like omg buns especially, and braids... and after 'being' with my husband I get mats in my hair that can take all night to fix. I replace my bun 2/3 times a day and finger comb it in between on the back of my head especially to keep it from matting. I gave up on braids completely for the time being.
I get quite a bit of shedding when I end up in a hair fiasco. I never notice it much though. I suggest brushing or combing it once a day and give that a try. Hairs come loose and with kinky hair it tangles easy. I have strands of hair that knot themselves!!!

You could consider braiding for bedtime and being with your husband to reduce tangles. Being with activity definitely brings on the tangles for long, loose hair. I see you said you gave up on braids.....

Sleep on a satin, sateen or other slippery fabric. You'd be surprised to realize that cotton isn't that slippery. And no flannel pillowcases.

If you're bunning over&over again throughout the day, yep, can have some increase in tangles. It's then important to find a reliable updo that stays put so there's less hair fuss.

I never liked finger-combing. It doesn't remove enough tangles and fat fingers (as compard to thinner comb teeth) I found tended to break off my hair.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I just now went to your public profile and it seems you have incredibly curly hair, what some might describe as almost kinky.

I strongly advocate that you look in to condition only hair washes. Most say it takes a number of weeks to make the transition and get the scalp used to this method of hair wash, but I'm betting you're going to really like the results.

There's also a helpful book that advocates this hair wash. LHC's and this books' condition only hair wash are apparently somewhat different. One thing to note from the book, there's one where you DO apply conditioner to scalp skin and one you DON'T apply conditioner to scalp skin. You may be in the category of DO apply? The author of the book has even curlier hair than you and she's known in the US, contributing to major salon magazines and doing platform work turning the curly girl into something of a celebrity.

Link so you can see the book I'm referring to....
http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Handbook-Lorraine-Massey/dp/076115678X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292533758&sr=1-1
author is Lorraine Massey.

http://devachansalon.com/about/staff
some background about the author....check out her hair!!

Her recommendation is no-poo as in no shampoo (it overly poofs your hair type). She has a product line....let me go find it for you.... also check out the tab CURLY Qs... you might like to also check out the gallery.

same website, upper right, online store link
http://store.devachansalon.com/StoreFront.bok?cart_id=74062

Very curly hair such as yours needs a LOT of conditioner, or moisture.....

heidi w.

Cleopatra18
December 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM
wow heidi w.,thanks alot for the advice.Your first post kinda made me laugh alot,cause i just realised how stupid it was everything i did,especially the ghee.But honest to goodness,i saw some reviews from women who swear by it.and the black tea supposely reduces the shedding due to caffeine content,but it doesnt matter.I really need to keep my regimen simple.
I really started getting into tears as i read more and more,for the one reason that it's almost a year since i started "caring" for my hair and it's only getting worse.i dont know if it's because of the length as i have never been past waist before,but all the hair past this point is crumbling really.My hair type is extremly complicated.it's so dry and it doesnt have the same pattern overall.
In addition.I have been having alot of bad times this year,and just being in the depression mood i feel like i dont have the energy to undo that bun and just comb it through.I dont know why,I know it will only take 5 mins but somehow i feel like it's a huge load.
I thank everyone for their support really.
heidi w.,your contribution to any thread is really valuable,and much appreciated.

Oh P.S: I have scalp condition,it forms weird gunk and dandruff if i dont wash for more than 3-4 days,and nothing removes it but the shampoo.I tried shampoo bars but it didnt work for too long.CO washing makes my hair too heavy and doesnt help my scalp no matter how much i massage it in.CWC works great for me,but I felt it's almost the same as the regular poo and conditioner.

spidermom
December 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I agree with others - make time at least once per day to comb out your hair. I think that will prevent your biggest problem. I comb my hair out twice a day at least, once in the morning and once before bed. Pre-wash oiling with coconut oil is good, also CWC with diluted shampoo to scalp only.

Felix_D
December 16th, 2010, 04:51 PM
This thread has totally scared me off of do-it-myself herbal stuff. I'm comfortable sticking with my conditioners now.

little_cherry
December 16th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Black tea will build up on the hair like crazy. I would most certainly clarify and do a deep moisture treatment to get your hair back on track and remove all the build up. Catnip tea soak (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118) is a much nicer alternative that is very conditioning.

There's no need to be afraid of herbal hair treatments at all-- just have to find something that works for you.

gretchen_hair
December 17th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't be scared off entirely, the key is moderation. :)

This thread has totally scared me off of do-it-myself herbal stuff. I'm comfortable sticking with my conditioners now.