PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening scissors on the kitchen knife sharpener?

daaisychains
December 16th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Okay guys/girls.. do you think that it would be okay to sharpen my hair scissors (only used on my hair) on the kitchen knife sharpener thing?

I just wanted to ask because there has recently been a thread on using sharp scissors and wanted to know if this would be a suitable method to sharpen them. :D

Merci, x.

sunshine80
December 16th, 2010, 06:15 AM
no not a good idea at all...Im a dog groomer so I am constantly getting my scissors sharpened by a professional...I had one guy come and sharpen my scissors and he didnt know what he was doing at ruined a $148.00 pair a scissors...I just know that you can really hurt the blade if not done correct

good luck:) there are scissor sharpeners everywhere and it would only cost you like 10 bucks to sharpen them...look in your yellow pages...

daaisychains
December 16th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Thank you.. i sort of had a nagging feeling that i had done something wrong anyway.
Afterall i guess hair scissors are of a total different quality of er .. sharpness/precision than kitchen knifes.

Time to mend my hair :(

MandaMom2Three
December 16th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I ruined some great scissors that way :(

ravenreed
December 16th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I paid about $7.00 a pair at my local fabric store. I took in all my sewing scissors, but not my hair cutting scissors because they didn't need it yet. Well worth it since my sewing scissors were quite expensive.

lapushka
December 16th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Not a good idea. I had mine sharpened by this metal sharpening tool we had at home and it totally ruined the blade (it was uneven). It made the scissors even duller.

heidi w.
December 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I would not recommend it as the design of the scissors doesn't allow, in my mind, an easy way to sharpen the blades properly....holding the blades at the proper angle and having the proper flow all the way to the end as you need for sharpening any knives. Also, rods do age and don't sharpen.

Hair scissors shouldn't be used for anything else, which you likely know, so getting the right edge on the blades matters.

Even oiling the screw joint can be helfpul, and I imagine that a proper sharpener professional person would do that as well if the blades hidge in any way when closing. (These hiccups in flow of the movement can cause problems with a clean cut that is precise.)

heidi w.

Lianna
December 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I recently learned here in LHC about sharpening with glass. I'm still looking into it. Sandpaper has also been mentioned.

How to sharpen Scissors with Glass (http://www.ehow.com/how_4449703_sharpen-scissors-glass.html)
How to sharpen Scissors at Home (http://www.ehow.com/how_4710422_sharpen-scissors-home.html)

kwaniesiam
December 16th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Absolutely not. You'll ruin your scissors.

Tia2010
December 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM
How often do scissors need to be sharpened if they are only used for s&d or trimming?

kwaniesiam
December 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM
How often do scissors need to be sharpened if they are only used for s&d or trimming?

Probably not for a few years honestly. I get my scissors sharpened once every 6 months of near daily use on many different people and that works fine for them.

Tia2010
December 16th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Probably not for a few years honestly. I get my scissors sharpened once every 6 months of near daily use on many different people and that works fine for them.

Thank you :)

dolphin
August 20th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Been wondering about that, thank you :)

Rosetta
August 20th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Hair scissors shouldn't be used for anything else, which you likely know
I have heard this too, of course, but I would just like to know why..?
(Yes, this is probably a stupid question, but I'd just like to know! :))

Pierre
August 20th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Different kinds of scissors have different edge angles, for one thing. My hair scissors have an angle of about 45°. My kitchen scissors have an angle of maybe 20°. I have two (different sizes) in the kitchen and two in the bathroom. They seem to work fine on my hair, but it is hennaed and I cut it wet. If it were virgin and dry, I'd probably get crushed ends and more splits.