PDA

View Full Version : Bringing out the curl in 1b hair

Rapunzelwannabe
December 15th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I've recently fallen in love with the 'wavy hair, straight bangs' look that's rampant on my college campus. My bangs are doing their thing wonderfully- except for some tweaky hairs near the temples I've got gorgeous bangs, but the bulk of my hair mocks my attempts to tell it what to do. Braidwaves don't stay, bun waves are crazy unpredictable, and I'd hate to have to resort to curling with a flat iron (which I rock at BTW) to get a stylish wave. I'm just hoping you wonderful folks have some advice or theories as to what can work with my hair!

karenpetal
December 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hi RW firstly, you have really gorgeous hair !!! What braids are you doing to get the waves as if now - One thing I have noticed is if you tie multiple smaller braids the waves are lot more predictable and comes easily - also rope braid gives a nice wavy look

Hope this helps !!

ButterCup02
December 15th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I use a caruso hair setter, they are steam rollers :) UltraBella had a good thread on it a while ago. Works great and no damage! The hair in my signature was done with the large rollers.

Capybara
December 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM
What about no heat curling methods like rag curls, snake waves, etc? I've always gotten great results with foam rollers too :)

jujube
December 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Pin curls? Where you twist strands of damp hair around your fingers and pin them to your head. Let dry and take the pins off, you should have nice wurls that are likely to stay put.

spidermom
December 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM
In my experience (with my niece), there isn't a lot of curl to be brought out of 1b hair. We even tried small, tight rag curls, and they lasted a grand total of 3-4 hours.

torrilin
December 15th, 2010, 05:05 PM
How much wave are you looking for?

I type myself as 1b, because with air dried unhandled hair, I most often have 1-2 waves in my BSL length hair. But if I am very careful with curly hair care techniques, I can get up to 4 full waves in my hair, which is edging into 1c land. Hitting maximum waviness is definitely not a consistent thing for me... but caring for my hair in a way that enables max waviness also means my braid and bun waves hold much better, and tangling is not so severe.

Much better in this case means that braid waves have started lasting 48-72 hours, whereas before they might last as much as 4 hours. It's a very dramatic change that has happened over the course of about 3 months... fast in hair terms, slow in everyone else's terms.