PDA

View Full Version : Anti-static recipes/products

nytquill
December 15th, 2010, 03:30 PM
So I have this party to go to on Saturday and after toying with a lot of ideas I think I want to wear my hair down or mostly down. My hair is stick straight and I really love it down (and most people at work have never seen it down). The problem is that winter static!

So what do you do to combat static? I've heard different ideas - coney products, products made specifically for static, homemade recipes, even dryer sheets.

My hair doesn't seem to be a big fan of aloe gel or jojoba oil at least on dry hair - if you use these, did it make a big difference for you whether wet or dry?

I already don't use any plastic grooming tools, just a wood-bristle brush, but I still get static from brushing. I guess the obvious thing would be to avoid brushing the day of the party but even so I will still have some static making my ends poof out and not be shiny and pretty (oh I'm not vain at all...)

Now that I'm using SLS shampoo again (mixed with coconut oil) I think I could get away with using a cone product especially if it's an easy-to-remove one. I don't know how much that will help the static or hinder the coconut oil treatment in the shampoo but I'd be willing to try it out for a little while.

I still have a little time to experiment - and even if I don't get it right before the party I still have the whole rest of winter that I'll be fighting this static - so I'm interested in hearing other people's static solutions :)

feb26
December 15th, 2010, 03:34 PM
spritz your hairbrush or comb with hairspray and give it a very light brush/comb..then DO NOT TOUCH!! there's also an anti-static/cling spray called Static Guard that works great on clothes, hair..I used it all the time when we lived in Winnipeg, MB. good luck!

Madora
December 15th, 2010, 03:35 PM
You can calm down the static that comes with brushing if you just follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand.

luxepiggy
December 16th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Static Guard (^(oo)^)

Spray on hands, very very lightly run over surface of hair.

dropinthebucket
December 16th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Winter static! I remember that from when I was in Winnipeg - worst static I ever had. Dry air. If I even ran my hand near my hair, it would all stick out like one of those electromagnetic balls that make peoples' hair go up! I never found a solution - just wanted to say yep, I know what you mean.

MandaMom2Three
December 16th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I HATE WINTER STATIC!!! I'm hoping that since where I am now is right between two great lakes that the air will be moister than it was back where we were!

UltraBella
December 16th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I don't have winter static issues anymore and I live in one of the driest places ever. I mist my hair with a coney leave in and lightly apply jojoba oil, on WET hair, not dry. It can not penetrate dry hair, so that makes all the difference in the world. I would be a greasy wreck if I applied it to dry hair.
Every day someone compliments me on how soft and shiny my hair is and I do not have one single flyaway from static. Love it.

heidi w.
December 16th, 2010, 09:12 AM
My personal biggest winter tip:

use a humidifier in your bedroom during the entire night.ETA: I got this tip from Lady Grace who has magnificent hair. She lives in Florida, and uses one even in the summertime. Just a wonderful woman, and it's been my distinct pleasure to come to know her more personally. END ETA

I have mine installed right next to my bed (hair drapes over the edge of the bed down the excess fabric of a satin pillowcase (king size). This helps those who tend to wake up dry skinned, dry mouth, and dry nose, even bleeding nose.

If you're into it, have at least 2 humidifiers (sometimes referred to as a vaporizor) in the house, one in the common area such as the kitchen or family room and one dedicated to the bedroom, or just keep moving the thing around.

I personally only use bottled drinking or distilled water because many city waters are too hard and gunk up the machine. I gave this tip to my friend and she loves it. She totally notices the difference.

I put mine on the high setting which means it uses water faster. I notice the bigger difference on the higher setting, although the lower setting also does make a difference a bit.

I like pumping in a lot of moisture all throughout the night.

Some, may want to also consider switching conditioner this time of year. Personally, I use a fairly thick conditioner, Biolage Conditioning Balm. I too am stick straight hair and very very fine hair.

For a special event, it's acceptable for an occasional special situation to use a product, even with silicone. It's not as though you're using it every day.

Try the humidifier. Typically this time of year they're being sold at drug stores such as Walgreens, for not that much.....$20. A nice Christmas gift.

At season's end, wash it out with a little vinegar or baking soda (vinegar is better). Allow all the parts to dry. Then store.

I use a tray under mine, an old aluminum baking pan, in case there are any spills or drips. (I have hardwood floors so don't want them ruined.)

Hope this helps. Have a great time at your event. I may be too late in suggesting this, but it'll still help the rest of the season -- and apparently winter hasn't officially begun!

heidi w.

feb26
December 16th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I just got an email about this product that's coming out, "John Frieda® Full Repair™ Touch-Up Flyaway Tamer", link to it is here http://www.totalbeauty.com/reviews/product/6434352/john-frieda-full-repair-touchup-flyaway-tamer

Don't know if it'll help or not but it could be worth a try. and if you do try, let us know the results!