PDA

View Full Version : Hair length and hair sticks

monsterna
December 15th, 2010, 11:24 AM
So what would you guys think is the minimum length for hair stick usage? You can see where my hair is at from my album pic. I'm interested in trying them out but no idea if I can. My buns are small and my hair is F/Mish. I'll probably have to wait a while. But I was wondering if anyone here has been able to use them in their hair while it is/was shorter!

Anje
December 15th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I link this a lot, but that's because it's a fairly short-hair friendly hairstick bun, and it does a great job at demonstrating the technique of using the stick to just hold the whole bun together.

So give the 10sec quick bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YIyUGn2pI) a try with a pencil or something. If it works, you're definitely at a hairstick-able length.

monsterna
December 15th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I link this a lot, but that's because it's a fairly short-hair friendly hairstick bun, and it does a great job at demonstrating the technique of using the stick to just hold the whole bun together.

So give the 10sec quick bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YIyUGn2pI) a try with a pencil or something. If it works, you're definitely at a hairstick-able length.

Okay, thanks! I'll give it a try but I think already I won't be able to, haha.

jesis
December 15th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I'm going to try this, too. I have been looking for something to see if I like hair sticks because I found some pretty ones on Etsy.

cataphract
December 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I was able to do a bun with medium (6") hair stick at about shoulder length if I used just the top half of my hair.

I also did a weird twist thing at a little more than shoulder length that I don't know a name for. I basically just gathered my hair up and held it away from my head and then maneuvered the stick under the hair and twisted it up and over the hair and down through the underside again (sorry if this is vague, I re-write with instructions if you want to try it)

I think the minimum hair length would depend on thickness, too, though.

bunzfan
December 15th, 2010, 02:14 PM
The first bun i could do was the lazy wrap have you tried that?

monsterna
December 15th, 2010, 02:20 PM
The first bun i could do was the lazy wrap have you tried that?

I've heard of it but never tried it. I wonder if my layers will be an impediment....

ddiana1979
December 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM
IMO, it's not so much length, but texture (and probably thickness) that make sticks a problem. I still can't use sticks yet for actually holding a bun. My hair is so slick they just slide right out in minutes. I use Goody Spin Pins to make my bun and then use a hair fork or sticks for decoration. :)

There are a couple of three prong forks I own that now hold my hair, so maybe forks hold straight, slick hair easier?

Vorvolaka
December 15th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I've heard of it but never tried it. I wonder if my layers will be an impediment....

I find my layers make it look better, it goes a bit messy, which I like. My hair is getting a bit long for it to be all messy now though. Both a good thing and a bad thing!

bunzfan
December 16th, 2010, 11:42 AM

I have layers to but mine are about shoulder length it depends how long your layers are. I can use hair sticks but because my hair is quite slippery i had more success with hair forks i can use them on freshly washed hair:)

heidi w.
December 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I looked at your album pictures, and I would say based on the March 2010 picture, you're going to have a little trouble. But if you can form small buns, then you can use a stick. You don't need a lot of hair to use sticks per se. The use of sticks doesn't involve one must have longer hair. Bunning of any kind, up of any kind mean you just need enough hair to get it up (sorry how that came out, don't mean it crudely).

heidi w.

HoneyJubilee
December 16th, 2010, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the video link! Most of my buns fall out quickly, but I just tried this one and it feel pretty secure.

DecafJane
December 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
If you are happy to use them in something else apart from a bun, I think you have a good chance of getting them to work in a french twist or a peacock twist. I could use them from shoulder length in french twists and I have very thick hair which would couldn't do a lot of buns even just past BSL due to the thickness.

luxepiggy
December 16th, 2010, 02:20 PM
IIRC the girl who taught me to use a hairstick many years ago had hair about your length (^(oo)^)

Anje
December 16th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the video link! Most of my buns fall out quickly, but I just tried this one and it feel pretty secure.
I like that one... As I said, it illustrates how to use a hairstick really well.

Oh, and if you keep winding the ends around before pulling that loop over the base, you get a Nautilus bun. It's a good way to deal with more length than she has in that video, and I think it's one of the few buns that keeps working for just about all lengths following, without any major adjustments.

monsterna
December 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I will see what I can do with my hair. I think my top layer will definitely give me trouble, as heidi w. said. Oh, well; in time!