PDA

View Full Version : Wrapped Buns?

Pixna
December 15th, 2010, 06:44 AM
My hair is currently BSL+ and fast approaching the mid-back abyss. I have been wearing my daily Pencil Bun, but it doesn't work quite as well as it used to. So now I am alternating with a Lazy Wrap Bun, which is working better than it used to. With each stage of growth, one of these buns works better than the other.

Are there any other good wrapped bun styles (that don't require an elastic or pins) that can be held with a fork or single hair stick that would be suitable for my current length?

Videos and/or detailed instructions (esp. for a left-hander like me) would be most appreciated. Thank you! :flower:

Yozhik
December 15th, 2010, 07:04 AM
It looks like we're at about the same length, Pixna! :flower:

As my hair has gotten longer, I've also begun to enjoy the lazy wrap more often. :)
Other than that one, I use my stand-by, the cinnamon bun. Lately the figure-8/infinity bun also seems to be working quite well. Now I'm off to try the Artemis again!

Last time I checked I still didn't have enough length for the nautilus, though . . .

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what other good ideas people have. :)

torrilin
December 15th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Handedness doesn't have a whole lot to do with fixing your hair :). Thank goodness, if it did I'd be toast. I have a terrible time reversing the way righties do things.

Hypnotica's you-tube tutorials are really helpful to me. My hair is a couple inches past BSL, and while I couldn't get any of her stuff to work for me when I was just BSL, the Artemis bun seems to be working well now.

Pixna
December 15th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Handedness doesn't have a whole lot to do with fixing your hair :). Thank goodness, if it did I'd be toast. I have a terrible time reversing the way righties do things.

Hypnotica's you-tube tutorials are really helpful to me. My hair is a couple inches past BSL, and while I couldn't get any of her stuff to work for me when I was just BSL, the Artemis bun seems to be working well now.

Actually, it does, in terms of what direction the hair is twisted or wrapped, which hand is used, and what direction the hair toy is inserted. Fortunately, all of Hypnotica's videos are done left-handed (which may be why you have found them so helpful), so they are easy for us lefties to follow. Other people's, not so much. I'm going to watch the Artemis Bun video again and give that a whirl. Thanks!

Yozhik
December 15th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Hah! I should have realized that's why Hypnotica's videos are so helpful! I'm another lefty here :waving:

I went back and tried the Artemis and it didn't seem to work as well as I had remembered -- the Gibraltar holds like a dream, though, and I have it in right now! :)

Pixna
December 15th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Looks like we're all lefties here so far -- what an interesting coincidence!

Yozhik, the Gibraltar Bun looks like a good option for me. Although I would prefer a bun that isn't twisted at all, it's really a combination of both twisted and wrapped styles. Thank you for the suggestion!

*Pixna scampers off to give the Gibraltar Bun a try*

teela1978
December 15th, 2010, 10:13 AM
The nautilus bun is another one similar to lazy wrap and pencil buns that wraps rather than twists.

Pixna
December 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks, Teela. It seems my hair isn't quite long enough for a Nautilus yet :( (unless you have suggestions for how to adapt it!).

melrose1985
December 15th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I'm watching.... Mine is heavily layered from about APL to a couple inches past BSL. Because of this my hair seems to thin to hold well and not really long enough because I don't have the thickness yet. I love wrapped buns though.

Love23101
December 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM
What I do is twist my hair tightly then coil it into a bun and I stick the ends of my hair into the bun...

It stays for about 2 hours for me. And I move around a lot.

Anje
December 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Not sure if you're long enough yet, but have you tried Spidermom's "Bun that stays"? It's basically an un-twisted infinity bun, as near as I can tell.

torrilin
December 15th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Actually, it does, in terms of what direction the hair is twisted or wrapped, which hand is used, and what direction the hair toy is inserted. Fortunately, all of Hypnotica's videos are done left-handed (which may be why you have found them so helpful), so they are easy for us lefties to follow. Other people's, not so much. I'm going to watch the Artemis Bun video again and give that a whirl. Thanks!

I'm not really seeing it. She uses S twist (so her hair slopes to match the shape of an S's crossbar), and is using her right hand to control twist. If she for some reason had to stop in the middle, she could use her left hand to anchor things, and would have her right hand free to use. If she were a handspinner, most people would presume she's a righty.

The reason I say handedness doesn't particularly matter is that righties are about equally likely to use their left hand for twist control, spin with Z twist, and set things up so they can easily free up their left hand. Then they get mad if you think they're a leftie.

Which one they pick seems to be far more tool dependent than anything else.

(lefties aren't particularly consistent either, but we're a *lot* smaller sample pool... and we tend to whine a lot less about having to do complex stuff with both hands.)

I haven't really been watching videos for twist direction, but it might be you have a really strong preference for S twist. A lot of people will strongly prefer one twist direction or the other, and I can see that causing a lot of trouble. It could be other stuff too. But please don't feel like it's your handedness giving you trouble. Most right handed people will have an even harder time, because they're not used to doing much with their left hand, and they're not used to thinking about alternative methods.

(um... yeah, handspinning-teacher button definitely got pushed.)

I usually figure on my first 15-20 tries at a new style will look hideous or not work, just because I haven't practiced much. On complicated stuff, it might be a lot worse. And wrapped buns are definitely complicated for me. I'm a lot more used to handling fiber with twist!

Pixna
December 15th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Anje, that's on my list to try. Thanks!

torrilin, a lot of the bun videos are definitely right-handed, and I just can't figure them out. It can take me upwards of 50 tries (or many more) to "flip" a bun (in my mind) that is twisted or twirled the "wrong" way for me. I just can't mentally grasp it. While I am fairly adaptable (as we lefties tend to be, fortunately!), I have a lot of trouble making the mental switch.

Neoma
December 15th, 2010, 02:39 PM
One of my favorite wrapped bun is the Celtic Knot. There are tutorials on LHC somewhere. It's my "go to" bun, and I've been making it since my hair was much shorter.

You may also want to try the Neoma Knot. There are instructions in the articles section. :flower:

Pixna
December 15th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks, Neoma! I'll check those out. I wonder who the Neoma Knot was named after? :hmm:

Neoma
December 15th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks, Neoma! I'll check those out. I wonder who the Neoma Knot was named after? :hmm:It's one of life's great mysteries! :D

teela1978
December 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks, Teela. It seems my hair isn't quite long enough for a Nautilus yet :( (unless you have suggestions for how to adapt it!).

This video shows how I usually do nautilus buns. I don't think they require that much hair. This woman seems to have bsl-ish hair... thicker hair would need to be longer I suppose... If you can do a pencil bun you should be able to do a nautilus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T4aQhKpweQ

Pixna
December 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks, Teela. This is a bit different from the standard Nautilus, which uses the whole hand, not just a finger. I'm going to have to experiment with this to see if I can get it to work. It seems like it would have a lot of potential, although my hair might be too thick for this bun at my current length. Thank you -- you've given something good to play around with!

teela1978
December 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks, Teela. This is a bit different from the standard Nautilus, which uses the whole hand, not just a finger. I'm going to have to experiment with this to see if I can get it to work. It seems like it would have a lot of potential, although my hair might be too thick for this bun at my current length. Thank you -- you've given something good to play around with!
I think the whole hand version is for people with very thick knee-length hair. That big of a loop is too much for my scrawny locks

Islandgrrl
December 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM
No brilliant suggestions. I struggle with wrapped buns - the LWB isn't working for me at tailbone. :(

I did want to say, though, that your hair has really grown! It looks great!

Pixna
December 16th, 2010, 06:39 AM
No brilliant suggestions. I struggle with wrapped buns - the LWB isn't working for me at tailbone. :(

I did want to say, though, that your hair has really grown! It looks great!

Awww, you are such a sweetheart, Islandgrrl!! Thank you!! :smooch: