PDA

View Full Version : Hair routine recommendations? (Pics inside)

Maverick494
December 15th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Hey everyone!

Like so many of you I want to grow my hair long in the fastest way possible without sacrificing the health of my hair. Now, I've always gone for regular trims to keep my hemline blunt and even, but though this method helps banishing dead/split ends, it's a really slow way of growing hair.

I went from this frazzled mess in december 2007:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9956/layers.jpg

To this in december 2010:
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7798/december2010.jpg

And jup, I dyed it as well. The below picture is dyed closest to my natural haircolor with a couple of inches of roots.

I want to reach waist, and TB at one point in my life.

So what do you recommend? S&D? What scissors will I need?
What's the best way to brush your hair? Even though I have a good brush now, my method doesn't seem good.

Astarte_1980
December 15th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I would buy a hairdressers scissors, to do only S&D.
I use a wide tooth comb and a brush for my hair.

SpeakingEZ
December 15th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Your hair looks fantastic. It really seems like you've been taking good care of it the past 3 years.

You and I have the same hair type as for waves. I really recommend a bone or other seamless comb and only use the brush to distribute oils. I noticed a LOT less splits after I made the switch-- and I was using a great quality brush!

Comb very slowly. If you feel a tangle, stop, locate the tangle, undo it with your fingers (I pull individual hairs up and out from tangles) instead of ripping through it. Remember, even if you rip through it slowly, you're still ripping it. Most of my splits were coming from this ripping. I even took a hair of mine with a white dot that looked like it was about to break and I ripped it to see what would happen. A split formed right there in front of my eyes. A big one, too.

For the trims, I second Astarte. Get a good pair of hair scissors and only do S+D. You're only a few inches away from waist. If you can hold out from trimming until you're an inch beyond waist, you can reach your goal faster and have your blunt end when you get there.

Madora
December 15th, 2010, 08:45 AM
The kindest brush for your hair, which looks lovely, is a 100% pure boar bristle brush.

It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg either. You can find BBBs at Walmart or Target or Walgreen's.

The bristles of the bbb should feel firm to the touch and the bristles should lie flat. Don't buy a "round" type BBB because that is meant for short hair.

Brushing:

Finger comb your hair first, then use a wide tooth comb. Work from the ends up toward the scalp, in small increments.

If you encounter a snag, detangle it with your fingers, not the comb.

When all the hair has been detangled, then you can begin brushing.

When to brush:

According to George Michael, the long hair expert, brushing in the morning, right after you get up, is the best time (it has something to do with your circulation being at its optimum).

Bend at the waist and bring all your hair in front of you like a curtain. Be sure it is thoroughly detangled.

Take the brush and start at the nape and brush down all the way to the ends. Follow each motion of the brush with the palm of your other hand (this removes any static the brush created).

Mr. Michael recommends 100 strokes per day...but start out slowly..say 20..and work up to the 100. The reason is because your scalp isn't used to this new posture of brushing and your follicles may hurt (at first). Every other day, add a few more strokes until you've reached 100.

Brushing is beneficial for your hair because it removes dead cells and other things that might have gotten in your hair, it exercises the follicles, and over time will impart a beautiful shine and softness to your hair.

I hope this helps!

princessp
December 15th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Wow your hair has really improved in four years! I kind of think whatever you are currently doing is definitely working!

Maverick494
December 15th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Thank you all for your lovely comments and advice, especially Madora for your elaborate response. I think I know where I can get BBB in my area and I will definitely get one! What kind of comb do I need? My dad uses a wide toothed comb but it's plastic, so defenitely not good. I've never heard of bone combs. Can anyone tell me what exactly to look for? Thanks in advance!