PDA

View Full Version : *Rant*

PineappleJello
December 15th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I've been trying not to post this for a few days. However my frustration keeps getting worse and worse. It drives me up the wall when people compare their hair to mine and either
-My hair use to be longer than that
-My hair is thicker than yours

There are two coworkers of mine. The first believes that she had longer hair than me a few months prior to meeting me. From pictures I have seen of her I can't confirm.

It is the second coworker that bothers me the most. On Sunday she was going on about how she couldn't stand having long hair and that hers use to be longer than mine (we're the same height, I'm currently either waist or hip) I have looked at pictures of this girl from the past 8 years, not one picture would her curly locks have even made it to the longer side of BSL. Then she goes to say that her hair is thicker than mine (upon inspection I decided that mine was substantially thicker) Her reason "I put stuff in my hair that thins it'

Sorry for the long rant, it's just I've worked hard to reach waist and have as healthy as it is so when other people try to say that the hair they have in their memories is better I get a little twitch in my eye.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 15th, 2010, 12:38 AM
yea yea yea...Everybody was a superstar in their teens! :D

Don't let them bother you, i can clearly tell they're jealous of your hair.

Peter
December 15th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Don't pay any attention to them. You know what they're saying is ridiculous, so why get frustrated about it, right? :) I've been there before and I know it can be very annoying. In my experience, the best thing to do is just nonchalantly agree with whatever they're saying, and they'll stop talking.

Real life example from me:

"You know, my friend has long hair too, and his is even longer than yours."
"Oh. Okay. Cool."

It works for me. :flower:

Athena's Owl
December 15th, 2010, 12:45 AM
"And the cheddar on my sandwich is sharper than the cheddar on your sandwich."

and when they say, "That doesn't make any sense," you say, "Exactly." and then wander off.

MrsGuther
December 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Sheesh! Some people have absolutely no tact whatsoever when it comes to commenting on other's hair. I bet they are really jealous of your hair. Take their snide remarks as a compliment, because they must be thinking about your hair quite a bit to be commenting on it all the time! I say you should tell them to mind their own business and tend to their own hair!

christine1989
December 15th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Textbook jealousy! These co workers are obviously are envious of your hair so in a really annoying way you should feel complimented. Still, I can feel your pain since two of my managers act similarly toward me. Since they seem to be desperate to win this silly "hair war" I would suggest you treat it as the insignificant matter that it is. They are really the ones looking riddiculous by making such a huge deal about something so trivial.

2peasinapod
December 15th, 2010, 01:29 AM
How ridiculous! I'm not usually one to jump in and say "they're jealous", but in this case, I think it's true! I just checked your album, and your hair looks amazing. Ignore these petty coworkers; there's no way your real hair right now is not better than their hair as they remember it! :flower:

milagro
December 15th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I'm sorry but if this makes you so seriously frustrated it is your problem. Normally you'd just just shrug on hearing obviously invalid comparisons. And hair is not everything however beautiful it is. Maybe you're being under stress and get too irritated.
Take it easy :flower:
PS You hair is very pretty.

meggykins
December 15th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I too think that they are jealous! And i find it really silly that they have to compare not only hair length, but hair thickness. Just grow your hair for a bit longer and they wont really have much to say anymore.

Purdy Bear
December 15th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Oh some people just love to hole diggers and put their foot in it. They just cant help themselves.

One quotation that keeps me sane is the following:

"Others peoples opinion is none of my business!" It was said by a women on one of our TV shows called 'Loose Women'.

Sheltie_Momma
December 15th, 2010, 07:30 AM
You are hanging with the wrong people. I teach Sunday School to 33 Kindergartners. The little girls love it when I wear my hair down, they pat and compliment and "style" it...It makes me feel great to hear them say I have princess hair!

enfys
December 15th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Yes but is their hair longer/thicker now? No. The present is all that really matters, especially with looks.

UltraBella
December 15th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I know EXACTLY what you mean !!!!!!!! This happens to me too. I really can't explain it but it drives me nuts. Longer hair, thicker hair, blah blah blah. Most of the time my hair is in a bun and the person can't tell how long and thick it is, but when they tell me how they had to cut their super long hair off because it was just so incredibly thick, long and heavy....... I just chuckle. Especially when they don't have half the hair that I do. It's funny, just have a little giggle at their hair insecurity and enjoy your day :)

cataphract
December 15th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Some people are silly! I agree with everyone else, they must be jealous to make those comments so much. You have such pretty hair! All that *really* matters is that you know that.

I've found that sometimes if you make an big deal about it ('Really?! You MUST give me tips on that, that is SOO amazing') that people like that either feel like they've gotten the attention they need or they are so taken aback that they don't make those comments anymore or at least with less frequency. :)

Jezerellica
December 15th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Koots~I call those people "co-irkers". How annoying. Like you care what they looked like 30 years ago. Pfft. They are jeaous and trying to turn the attention on themseves. You must have been having a rock star hair day when they felt obligated to attempt to brag about the past!! Remember we are here to rant to any time you need us. *going to admire your hard earned waist length hair*

curlymarcia
December 15th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Who cares how long or thick their hair were? The only important thing is that your hair is long and healthy. You should ignore these coworkers.

Sheltie_Momma
December 15th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Koots~I call those people "co-irkers". How annoying. Like you care what they looked like 30 years ago. Pfft. They are jeaous and trying to turn the attention on themseves. You must have been having a rock star hair day when they felt obligated to attempt to brag about the past!! Remember we are here to rant to any time you need us. *going to admire your hard earned waist length hair*

Co-irkers. bahahahahaha. Hilarious!

NebraskaChick84
December 15th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I agree, ask for tips and they will shut up!

My hair used to be long and perfect. Since it is now almost exactly like it used to be 10 years ago I can only assume that the thickness is because it was too short. The only thing I really miss are the fairytale ends. where are my fairytale ends?!

Also I am very jealous, I wish my hair was as long and thick as yours! (I don't know exactly how long and thick your hair is but the fact that people are trying to lie about their own hair to match up to yours I assume it's super long and super thick hair)

Unofficial_Rose
December 15th, 2010, 09:48 AM
You could respond with a sympathetic look and "Oh, I'm so sorry. What happened to your hair then? Hormones? Ageing? Do you think it will recover?" :) :twisted:

PS: I was a dead ringer for Scarlett Johannsen when I was young. Yes, yes I was. ;)

nytquill
December 15th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I think I understand why this would drive a person nuts, especially if you hear it a lot. Because it's not just jealousy, it's one-upsmanship. Like your hair CANNOT be allowed to be better than theirs (not that you want to fall into the trap of comparing) even if technically right now it is, so they have to find some way that at some point in time they were better. I WIN! Eesh.

These are the same people that when you say "Oh man, my feet hurt from standing all day," will respond with a story of one time how they got their foot run over by a car and crushed...or something. Or if you say you're not feeling too well they'll tell you how they almost caught ebola that one time. They just can't stand to let anyone else have a moment in the spotlight or have a conversation that doesn't in some way relate back to THEM.

If I had more spunk I would probably say something like "Oh man! If I'd known we were having a contest today I would've a different outfit!" But I'm more the type to say "oh really" in a disinterested way and then go home and grump :lol:

Bonkers57
December 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM
That's what I'm thinking! If it were me I would have said, "Good on ya...what happened to it?"

Yes but is their hair longer/thicker now? No. The present is all that really matters, especially with looks.

Centaur
December 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I've been trying not to post this for a few days. However my frustration keeps getting worse and worse. It drives me up the wall when people compare their hair to mine and either
-My hair use to be longer than that
-My hair is thicker than yours

There are two coworkers of mine. The first believes that she had longer hair than me a few months prior to meeting me. From pictures I have seen of her I can't confirm.

It is the second coworker that bothers me the most. On Sunday she was going on about how she couldn't stand having long hair and that hers use to be longer than mine (we're the same height, I'm currently either waist or hip) I have looked at pictures of this girl from the past 8 years, not one picture would her curly locks have even made it to the longer side of BSL. Then she goes to say that her hair is thicker than mine (upon inspection I decided that mine was substantially thicker) Her reason "I put stuff in my hair that thins it'

Sorry for the long rant, it's just I've worked hard to reach waist and have as healthy as it is so when other people try to say that the hair they have in their memories is better I get a little twitch in my eye.

Koots, best thing you can do is shrug it off. It isn't even about you. I don't know why some people are desperate to one up everyone, but there are people like that out there. I used to be friends with one.

How do they expect someone to respond when they say something like, "My hair was longer than yours." Answer: "That's fantastic, congratulations on your success" or "Bully for you." I have no idea. I just say, "That's nice." and walk away.

spidermom
December 15th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Remember - nobody can upset you without your cooperation - and I think these comments don't rate a second of your energy beyond perhaps an "oh really?" Then get on with your life. Maybe they think this is a way to relate to you. Who knows really; human beings can be a strange lot.