PDA

View Full Version : Weird question

Eirinn
June 4th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Today I let myself drink some coke and realised that since few moths I think about it like "letting myself" because I started to drink water and juice instead for my hair. Have you done any "habits change" for your hair which wasn't strictly hair-related like washing, putting up etc?:p

Saranne772
June 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I hate taking tablets of any kind really except for my hair Ive been taking loads of different vitamin suppliments.

buttons
June 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I hate taking tablets of any kind really except for my hair Ive been taking loads of different vitamin suppliments.

Ditto. I'm the worst at swallowing any kind of tablets/softgels/anything and I've started to do so for my hair and overall health (but mainly my hair :o.)
I've also been trying to lay off the caffeine recently, and forgot that I was doing it. That's saying a lot considering I used to be the person who had at least one coke a day. Guess that means I'm getting good at it? :eyebrows:

camara
June 4th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Ok, weird answer:
I´m trying to get in better shape, because I feel I can´t pull off long hair when I´m flabby.
Or rather, I feel bad about myself when I´m fat, and this makes it impossible for me to enjoy my hair (which is one of my best features, I think).
So, in a way, I´m making serious attempts to change my lifestyle, just because of my hair.

Strangely, though, in other people this doesn´t bother me one bit. Whenever I see someone with pretty long hair, I just think 'Wow, that woman/man has really beautiful hair' and will gladly compliment her/him (if the situation allows). Her/his size doesn´t matter at all.

Magicknthenight
June 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM
yes i now take fish oil vitimans- the directions say to take 2 a day so i do..
and hair, skin, and nail vitimans which say to take 3 a day! so i have been doing it!:o
At first it was really hard to take a bunch of vitimans but now its easier...Though the bottles say they help with other things hair was the whole reason i started taking them! :p
The other benefits besides helping my hair is just kind of an added bonus haha

Sana
June 4th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Yes, I have been drinking lots of water & cutting down on coffee. Also I make sure I take my vitamins tho' I hate it:)

whiteisle
June 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Let's see......

taking vitamins - normally hate them!

drinking only water - BIG change for me (ginger ale junkie
here!)

exercising - yes, I started solely for hair reasons, with the
extra benefit of getting in shape :p

suicides_eve
June 4th, 2008, 02:03 PM
yes, i stopped drinking soda b/c it stunts the hair growth, i also take vitimans and started sleeping on silk pillow cases (got one for dd too)

Lova
June 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I've been thinking about taking some supplements for my hair now.. We have alot of random one's lying around, but I'd love to have some especially for hair, nails, skin etc etc..
The only thing I drink anymore nowadays is water, for the overall health benefits!

lora410
June 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I started drinking maily water two weeks ago. Ihad a few sips of 7up , but I am about ready to pour it down the drain. I am just used to water now mainly

Patrycja
June 4th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Lots more water here but I haven't completely cut down on the caffeine.I am a mother of 3 boys with zilch energy lol

Pikkukala
June 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Today I let myself drink some coke and realised that since few moths I think about it like "letting myself" because I started to drink water and juice instead for my hair. Have you done any "habits change" for your hair which wasn't strictly hair-related like washing, putting up etc?:p

Maybe this is a slightly dumb question on my part - but what effect does drinking coke have on hair? I've never heard anything bad about it in regards to hair (but then again, I've only recently found this place and until now only knew the same stuff the hairdressers/companies say). I know I pretty much live on coke and similar drinks.

CurlyNinja
June 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Lots more water here but I haven't completely cut down on the caffeine.I am a mother of 3 boys with zilch energy lol

Not with three boys, but I was always so overworked at school I HAD to have my caffeine to get everything done and function on my 4-6 hours of sleep a night. (The cycle was endless, and I didn't have time to break it) I did become a lot more conscious of how much caffeine I consume though, and now that it's summer I'm "detoxing" and trying to be a more "informed consumer" when it comes to my coffee and soda. When I have something caffeinated, I THINK about it first, and whether I actually want to put that in my body, instead of just going for it.

This is hair related and also not-hair related, but thinking about taking care of my hair has gotten me into a lot more of a "my body is a temple" frame of mind. I'm attempting to get into better shape, eat a more balanced diet (and really think about and enjoy what I'm eating while I eat it) and live a more healthful life. The thing that really got me up and going about it though was my hair. I'm naturally a pretty thin person, so a few pounds here or there never bothered me enough to get serious about living healthily, but my hair and skin were physical cues I could respond to.

Elainehali
June 4th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I still have two or three lattes a day. (I work in a breakfast place so at least they are free) but after 11:00 I start drinking organic orange juice.

Eirinn
June 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Maybe this is a slightly dumb question on my part - but what effect does drinking coke have on hair? I've never heard anything bad about it in regards to hair (but then again, I've only recently found this place and until now only knew the same stuff the hairdressers/companies say). I know I pretty much live on coke and similar drinks.

As I know soda drinks and coffein (which coke does contain) suck up water from organism, so that means your hair doesn't get enough inner moisture:) (If I'm wrong someone please correct me)

MsBubbles
June 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Yes! Drinking less caffeine (can't quit yet), and trying for 2.5 litres of water a day. And making myself remember my thyroid hormone supplement pill (I always forgot before I started my long hair journey), as well as iron, B vits, multi vits and calcium pills. Oh and satin pillow cases (sleeping on, not swallowing).

I also try to get enough sleep. :sleep:

ALL and ONLY because I want my hair to look good!!

RavennaNight
June 4th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Wow This thread is so informative! I never knew this about soda! I drink it very rarely, if ever, because of hiccups and stomach discomforts. I mainly stick to water, though. Its the only thing that really quenches my thirst. Back on topic, I've changed a habit, which is making darn sure I don't forget my multivitamin and 300mcg biotin every day, and I try to balance my diet better

jojo
June 4th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I did not know that soda's can stunt growth, I practically live off diet coke and coffee. I will make more of an effort to drink more water from now on though, thanks for sharing this.

socks
June 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Actually, caffeine speeds hair growth and has been used to cure baldness. No reseach has ever found hair growth to be stunted by caffeine.

One of the many articles I've found on the subject:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-430669/Coffee-hold-cure-baldness.html

Well, it's only been studied in men so far, but it could easily hold true for women as well.

salamander
June 4th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Caffeine speeds metabolism, and thus would improve hair growth (a little bit, this is like the amount that it improves weight loss). Unfortunately, soda does not only have caffeine in it. It has a lot of empty calories and some nasty chemicals, which do impede hair growth. In addition, too much caffeine (such as a lot of sodas have) will dehydrate you, and dehydration makes for bad hair. So, drink all the tea you like, but keep the Mountain Dew to a dull roar.

ETA: That article is referring to the topical application of caffeine, anyway. It says ingesting it has a negligible effect, and you don't get enough caffeine to the hair follicles unless you apply it as a cream or something. Maybe we should see if energy drink scalp rinses improve growth; stranger things have worked.

socks
June 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Well, a lot of people here do plenty of tea rinses. They may not have enough caffeine to make a difference, but then again, maybe they do?

biggity
June 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I've begin drinking plenty of water, and taking multiple supplements consistently. This may not seem like much, but I have a very short attention span, and have a terrible time with routines.

Forever_Sophie
June 4th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I've become diligent about vitamins & cutting back on caffeine for my hair :)

Eirinn
June 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Well if coffeine increases growth I should be already Ropunzel:lol:

Islandgrrl
June 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
About the only thing I did was to start taking my supplements like I'm supposed to! I've never been very consistent about that. So far, I can tell it's making a difference in my nails, so I'm guessing it's helping the hair, too. Easier to tell with the nails...they grow like crazy. I already eat a really clean diet - not a lot of room for improvement there: no soda, no junk, minimal amounts of processed foods.

vidgrl007
June 5th, 2008, 04:35 PM
The suppliments I started taking for my hair are msm,L-arganine 500mg,biotin 5000 mcg and a high potency hsn vit/min suppliment.I've always been one to drink lots of water.I also cut my soda consumption to 1 soda a day.I used to drink a six pack a day at the very least.

DecafJane
June 5th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I have bought satin pillowcases, a gazillion kinds of shampoo/conditioner, moisturise the ends every day, and bun/french twist my hair the whole time, to protect it from as much damage as possible

mommy101405
June 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I am better about taking my prenatals now for my hair than when I was pregnant :(