PDA

View Full Version : Diet and hair growth (My experience)

Yasmine91
December 14th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I don't know what it is about VLCD diets that made my hair and nail growth so fast!

I will be going on lighter life which is VLCD diet and I am not only excited for the guaranteed weight loss but also for how my hair reacts to these kinds of diets.

2 years ago my gair grew so fast, my hair grew from shoulder legnth to BSL within 6 months.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

I hope it happens again :D

2peasinapod
December 14th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Does VLCD stand for very low calorie diet? If so, I can't imagine how it would be good for the hair and nails. The one and only time I crash dieted, my hair stopped growing and got thinner. I've heard a bit about the benefits of calorie restriction, but personally, it just made me sick. :(

I'm glad you found something that works for you, though. Shoulder to BSL in six months is impressive! I'm aiming for BL right now! :)

Yasmine91
December 14th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Yes they have been known for hair loss, for me it has the opposite effect.

Aww sorry to hear they made you ill. VLCD's such as lighterlife are different because of the nutrients that they put in the pack so, i guess it's alittle different then when you actually restrict yourself when dieting using conventional foods.

It is insane on the hair growth though! absolutely crazy!

Good luck on your journey! I hope you reach all your targets :D

lastnite
December 14th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I haven't experienced it, but usually hear the opposite and that a VLCD causes hair loss, which is why I'm afraid to try them.

maybe like you said, the nutrients in the product help. usually VLCD are high in protein and use protein shakes... so maybe you are getting more vitamins and protein compared to your regular diet. :)

luxepiggy
December 14th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Lucky you! Slimmer body, longer hair sounds pretty good to me! (^(oo)^)

I wonder if perhaps your experience has to do with the fact that the packs are nutritionally complete - I suspect most of us probably don't achieve the ideal nutritional balance in our regular day-to-day eating.

Yasmine91
January 2nd, 2011, 08:06 PM
I haven't experienced it, but usually hear the opposite and that a VLCD causes hair loss, which is why I'm afraid to try them.

maybe like you said, the nutrients in the product help. usually VLCD are high in protein and use protein shakes... so maybe you are getting more vitamins and protein compared to your regular diet. :)

I definately do get more vitamins then what I got from all the crap I used to eat LOL

Hair loss only affects some people, you never know unless you try them :P which is rlly annoying lol. The hair does come back when you return to conventional food again :)

Yasmine91
January 2nd, 2011, 08:08 PM
Lucky you! Slimmer body, longer hair sounds pretty good to me! (^(oo)^)

I wonder if perhaps your experience has to do with the fact that the packs are nutritionally complete - I suspect most of us probably don't achieve the ideal nutritional balance in our regular day-to-day eating.

I know right!? can't wait!

it could be, they say though that hair loss is very common but for me it just didn't happen. Could of been the nutrients, or I could just be lucky :/

Igor
January 2nd, 2011, 08:20 PM
I wonder how much protein you get from such a diet?
Although I canít point to an exact source, I think what I have gathered of hair-knowledge by now, is that if you get plenty protein and the vitamins and minerals you need, even on a very low calorie diet (Yes, that can be done) you will not suffer any hair-health trouble

x0h_bother
January 2nd, 2011, 11:57 PM
I was thinking VLCD was very low carb diet which may make sense...in my experience very low calorie diets are bad for hair :(

x0h_bother
January 2nd, 2011, 11:59 PM
I know right!? can't wait!

it could be, they say though that hair loss is very common but for me it just didn't happen. Could of been the nutrients, or I could just be lucky :/

Maybe the duration of your diet wasn't long enough or it didn't show up on the hair until later? I'm not sure those details so I can't speculate on it.

ETA: I took a look after at the plan here http://www.lighterlife.com/how_does_lighterlife_work/your_faqs/what_is_a_vlcd.aspx and it seems like the vitamins may have 'saved' your hair, but I'm not certain.

If you did this for 6 whole months, I'm not sure how your body faired on 500-800 cals a day...that is a starvation diet.