PDA

View Full Version : Things I have changed since joining TLHC

patienceneeded
December 14th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I've only been a member for about a week, maybe two, but was shocked at how much I have already changed in my haircare routine! Here goes...

1. I stopped brushing! I now only use a comb. In fact, I bought my first wooden comb today!

2. I started taking vitamins for general health and hair health.

3. I bought 100% Argan oil and use it! It makes my wavy hair have more defined curls, which is nice. On a side note, the oil has cleared up the nasty excema breakout on my arms. I just rubbed it on my arms 2x daily and the excema is GONE!

4. I have not touched my blowdrier or straightening iron.

5. I bought a tangle teezer to use on my daughter's hair. She LOVES it.

6. I switched to Aubrey's Organics Honeysuckle Rose shampoo and conditioner and really like the results.

7. I think I have become a tad obsessed...this is normal, right? RIGHT?

Just thought I'd share. It might be fun to hear from others as to how much your changed your haircare plan/routine after joining TLHC!

Jenw777
December 14th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I've straightened my hair 3 times since July. I oil my hair like a mad woman, and bought a wooden comb, when I had never been able to get a comb through my hair before.

Once you're in, there's only one way out.....Wahahahaha!

Tia2010
December 14th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Your list looks like mine when I joined :) I loved making small changes and seeing big results ! One tip I can give you is don't try too many treatments / new products at once . You wont know what product did the amazing thing or awful thing to your hair if you use to many new products / treatments at once ( like I did :rolleyes:)

luxepiggy
December 14th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Fun! Piggy will play too (^(oo)^)

1. I abandoned shampoo in favour of CO-washing
2. I stopped using the "high" setting on my hair dryer
3. I started using coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment
4. My hairtoy collection has grown at an alarming rate :p
5. I find myself constantly wondering how to make my hair shinier :D
6. I have hair tinsel in constantly! SPARKLE \(^(oo)^)/

LissaJane
December 14th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Mine are, in no particular order:

1. Abandonded the Baking Soda + ACV regime upon finding organic shampoo <3
2. Started using a rinse + oil instead of conditioner
3. Stopped brushing, started combing
4. Experimenting with lotsa updos and finally got over my fear of learning how to french braid
5. learned to self-trim
6. Haven't touched les blowdryer
7. I wash my hair a lot less than I used to
8. definitely a little bit obsessed and I touch my hair a lot more than I used to

Shellby
December 14th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Fun! I wanna play too. :)
I am in love with coconut oil. For my hair and skin.
Catnip is awesome. No conditioner for me anymore. Just catnip.
More updos. Learned so many new looks.
I now own 2 hair forks.
I bought some hair sticks and have begun to decorate them to match my clothes/mood.
I have gone to work with wet hair in the bitter cold morning air rather than blowfry my hair. :D

I want some sparkles for my hair!

I am still planning on having my hair colored again in January, but now I know how to prepare it so the damage should be limited.

joiekimochi
December 15th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I'll jump on the wandbagon!

1) I stopped brushing and purchased 2 horn combs and I LOVE them.
2) I stopped using cones and proteins.
3) I put my hair up everyday unless I have to style otherwise.
4) I learnt to light oil dry hair, and to damp oil after washing and conditioning, and I LOVE it.
5) I stopped bleaching and dyeing my hair. My hair loves me for that.
6) I broke up my long-term relationship with my curling iron and learnt to embrace my natural straightness.
7) I can't stop measuring!!!!

christine1989
December 15th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Before LHC I was already in a habit of using coconut oil, combing, taking biotin and taking pretty good care of my hair but LHC has really introduced me to some great new things;
1. Non SLS shampoos- way less shedding
2. Sweet almond oil
3. Castor oil (made my hair a bit thicker)
4. Self trimming/S&D
5. Damp bunning for nice waves
6. ...and the realization that protein is my hair's worst enemy. ;)

EmiliaF
December 15th, 2010, 01:56 AM
1) stopped brushing, started finger-combing
2) switched to CO
3) sorted through all of my hair care-products and removed everything with cones
4) started using Jojoba-Oil (great for skin as well)
5) discovered hair-sticks (finally something that keeps my hair-up all day)
6) am mentally preparing myself for a return to my natural haircolor without highlights
7) am only blow-drying if absolutely necessary and then only with cold air

Haven't measured or taken hair-pictures yet for fear of getting obsessed... shudder:

Birch
December 15th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Before LHC: olive oil, Lush henna, vinegar in henna mixture, biotin and other hair+skin+nails vitamins, no brushing.

Since I joined:
- final decision of leaving SLS
- ordering 15 samples of poos and soaps from CVS for the first time
- found my hair sticker and started to using it again
- started to wear few new types and styles of braiding
- found about sock bun technique; for curling too - havn't try it yet, but I definitely will
- bought my first coconut oil and just had my first prewash overnight treatment with it (love for pancakes too but I used at least 4 times more for my hair...)
- planning to buy aragon 100% oil soon (It's just so expensive...)
- after used up my mask I'll completely stop using and buying cones
- planing to buy jojoba oil
- wearing a lot more different styles and having much more fun with it
- just care and love my hair more
- feel more special cos I have long hair :)
- be abel to finger brush
- my scalp is getting healthier more and more every day and I'm cutting my really bad habit of scratching it everytime I feel nervouse

nereida
December 15th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I joined your community a few days ago, so I will write what I've changed since I started to fight with my hair loss (about 4 months ago)

- first I throw my plastic comb and old brush away
- I bought my first wooden comb with medium spaces between its teeth
- I bought a real wild boar brush which I use every morning to improve my head blood circulation
- I divide my hair into 4 parts and I brush each section 50 times
- I stopped using shampoos with SLS
- I stopped using "professional" conditioners with silicone and half-silicone ingredients
- I bought a shampoo and a gel against hair loss
- I bought a special conditioner to moisturise my dry ends and give them nice blonde glow
- I ordered 0,5l of coconut oil, not refined and I try to use it at least once a week for at least 10 hours
- I started practising "baggy method"
- I comb out my hair using my fingers when it's almost dry
- I am taking good vitamins
- I wear a hat when I go outside (hard winter here!)
- I use birch water on my scalp before washing

My hair plans for the near future:
- I need to trim my hair just a little
- I want my hair back to the one length!
- when I win with my hair loss I want to try another oils and I would like to try it on my scalp
- I would like to start my henna treatment
- I want to dye my hair on a brighter colour
- I would like to try rinse my hair with balsamic
- I want it shiny, healthy and loooooong :)

Jessica Trapp
December 15th, 2010, 03:15 AM
7. I think I have become a tad obsessed...this is normal, right? RIGHT?

Yup. Perfectly normal. :D

mrs_coffee
December 15th, 2010, 05:15 AM
The biggest change for me was learning about CWC. I have thick, somewhat coarse hair and it was always so bushy, wild looking, and rough-feeling when I tried to grow it out that I'd end up cutting it out of frustration. The condition improved when I stopped washing it every day, but after I ended up here I tried CWC and my hair has completely changed. It's still thick, but it's soft and shiny and nice.

I started taking vitamins too, but haven't noticed a huge change from that yet. Can't hurt though, right?

Dyefree
December 15th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Pheeeew where to start?

1. I stopped using extensions
2. I stopped dyeing my hair
3. I stopped blowdrying
4. I stopped using flat irons and curlers.
5. I stopped ripping a brush through my hair.
6. I oil regularly with evoo, coconut oil and castor oil
7. I cwc or co alternately
8. I stopped using harsh sls and dandruff shampoos!
9. I deep condition my hair weekly
10. I sleep on a silk pillow case
11. I keep my hair in an up-do constantly- helps me forget about it
12. I take vitamins- though really I should have been doing this a loooong time ago as I'm still breastfeeding

Many many many more little things like s&ding, watching what clips I use... But I'll be here all day if I carried on ;)

proo
December 15th, 2010, 05:41 AM
oil shampoo
shampooing once a week
lemon rinse

LocustSpawning
December 15th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I don't have much to add that nobody else has mentioned, haha, but I still think it's crazy that I went from being someone who straightened their hair twice a day to not using it at all. Can you believe I used to just let my little sister straighten my hair for hours on end (on full heat!!) just because it felt nice and she liked playing with it?!!! I can't begin to imagine how much damage that caused... along with ripping a brush through it and chemically dying it aswell. Eugh...

Francoise1606
December 15th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Things I have changed since joining LHC - EVERYTHING! :D
No seriously, I'm much more careful when I deal with my hair and only do damaging things to it once in a while (such as straightening, blowdrying, combing when wet, etc.)

monsterna
December 15th, 2010, 08:24 AM
In no particular order:

1. No more stupid, angry brushing
2. Comb only on wet hair, brush only when completely detangled (going to buy a seamless comb soon)
3. Started CO and I love it (except still need shampoo on bangs to get them to work for me whilst I grow them out)
4. Found a use for my coconut oil other than cooking
5. S&D
6. Monistat! Haha, I don't know if it's working or not yet!
7. Paying attention to ingredients in my products
8. Only using the warm or cooler settings on my hair dryer (which is a necessary evil for me)
9. Taking a multi-vitamin, biotin, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and fish oil supplements

More soon, I'm sure! I'm getting a bit obsessed when I was sure I wouldn't be....

rachelily
December 15th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Oh that's so interesting about the Argan oil, I may have to try that! Both for the waves and the arms thing, which drives me nuts.

I have changed:
-my general attitude toward my curly hair - I love it now, and never thought I'd say that
-no cones or sulfides
-gentler handling of my hair, in general
-much decreased use of heat on my hair

We are all learning so much!

spidermom
December 15th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I tried a lot of things, but these changes have become permanent:
1) CWC with diluted shampoo.
2) Pre-wash oiling with coconut oil.
3) No flat-ironing, except once in a very great while (less than 1 time per year), I will let the stylist do it.
4) Much less trimming. I've gone from a trim every 6-8 weeks (my hair grew 4.75 inches longer per year on that schedule) to waiting an entire year or more. Since I stopped the occasional flat-ironing, I haven't needed so much trimming.

Bene
December 15th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I've changed a few things, nothing drastic though. Before this site, I used Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner + whatever anti-frizz hair goo caught my eye. Now it's shampoo bars, ACV rinses, and oil. I traded in my hair elastics for forks and sticks. I make sure that the combs I use are seamless. The only difference in my hair care routine is that instead of bunning while my hair is soaking wet, I wait till it's just damp.

I think the biggest change I've noticed is my attitude towards hair care. Before, I considered it laziness. Now it's "benign neglect" :D

sarahbrownie
December 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I stopped brushing in favor of a wide-tooth comb.
BBBing the day before a wash-day. (Before LHC I had no idea what BBBs were)
Abandoned heat (only for special occasions)
I wear my hair up nearly 100% of the time.
Deep-condition more often.
Went into a small debt over Hair Toys. (thanks, anyway!)

cmnt831
December 15th, 2010, 10:11 AM
- I started using conditioner. (No, I hadn't used it before LHC :p).
- I started oiling my hair.
- I use a lemon rinse.
- I wear my hair up to sleep.
- I'm much more gentle in handling my hair than before.

Prior to LHC, I washed my hair only once a week, wore it up during the day and air dried. Those things I have continued.

nytquill
December 15th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Ooh fun way to look back at how far we've come!

-stopped using plastic brushes and combs
-learned about all kinds of natural products and chemicals and what they do
- started reading labels on any hair product before I buy it
-stopped using cones
-tried many different haircare routines (sulfate-free, CO, WO), currently tweaking a routine with coconut oil shampoo aka "haircare of stars from the past" method
-started using hairsticks (and the corollary, started leaving hairsticks in every room of the house and my bag!)
-stopped going out of the house without my hair bunned or braided! (99.9% of the time anyway)

Anje
December 15th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Let's see...

I switched to combs, recently got a TangleTeezer and am brushing again.
Started CO washing. Decided my hair and scalp are happiest with minimal shampooing.
Became even more of an ingredients-reader than I already was.
Started wearing a sleep bonnet.
Got lots of pretty hairsticks and a few Ficcares.
Started epilating, switched to an IUD, and lots of other non-hair-related things.