PDA

View Full Version : Developing "fairytail" ends

feralnature
December 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM
"Fairytail" or "Fairytale"...I have seen it spelled both ways.

I would like to know how you ladies or gents with long, fairytail ends have developed them. Did you trim your hair at all as your length grew out? Did you trim in a "V" shape? Did you S&D? What did you do?

Do you have pics you can share?

I love fairytail ends and want to know more about growing long, pretty, healthy ends. :)

heidihug
December 14th, 2010, 03:15 PM
They just sort of happen for me. Don't cultivate, don't even particularly like them. Though they are handy when making updos, as that long wispy tail wraps and tucks in easily. I'd prefer a blunter hemline, but hate to lose the length.

Here's a pic taken last week - the curls are artificial, I have quite straight hair...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=611&pictureid=90443

feralnature
December 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM
heidihug your hair is beautiful, and your ends go on forever! When was your last major trim?

ArienEllariel
December 14th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I hope I get fairytale ends one day.. :)

christine1989
December 14th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I have the beginnings of fairytail ends (the result of over a year of no trimming) and am slowly micro trimming them away. They are most prominent when my hair is left straight. When I damp bun for waves it hides them and gives the illusion of a straight hemline. I would love to just keep growing and cultivate my fairytail ends but unfortunatly my hair does not look as amazing as heidihug's with fairytail ends :(. Rather it just appears unkempt. My best advice if you want them is to not trim for as long as possible. Stick with S&D only and you should get them pretty quick.

Angeletti
December 14th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Before I started growing my hair out 3 years ago I had some layers and a U shaped hemline, so not cutting for over 3 years plus the layers developed over time into my fairytale ends that I have now. There are a few pics in my hair album that shows them.

tigerlily38
December 14th, 2010, 03:56 PM
i had thought of trimming to get a thicker hemline, but for now i am embracing my fairytales ;)

Jessica Trapp
December 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I s&d and trim occasionally. They sort of "just happen."

AnnaJamila
December 14th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I'm of two minds about them, I think they look beautiful on curly hair ~99% of the time but on straight it varies... Plus I'm obsessed with my hemline!!! The way I know to get them for sure is cut into a deep V or U and leave it alone, they'll happen pretty quickly.

spidermom
December 14th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Don't trim; you'll get them. At shorter lengths, I hated the idea, but once I got close to goal length, I was more willing to leave my ends alone to see what they did (which is what I've been doing since January). The sooner you quit trimming, I think, the thinner those ends are going to be, down to the last 3-4 longest hairs.

jenjen10
December 14th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I'm of two minds about them, I think they look beautiful on curly hair ~99% of the time but on straight it varies... Plus I'm obsessed with my hemline!!! The way I know to get them for sure is cut into a deep V or U and leave it alone, they'll happen pretty quickly.

I agree with this statement... I think fairytale ends look much better on curly hair. I don't think it would work with my straight hair at all so I trim to try to maintain a blunt hemline. If I had curls, I would work the fairytale ends though! :D

feralnature
December 14th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Before I started growing my hair out 3 years ago I had some layers and a U shaped hemline, so not cutting for over 3 years plus the layers developed over time into my fairytale ends that I have now. There are a few pics in my hair album that shows them.

I went 3 years without trimming and then self-trimmed 2 inches becasuse of old dye and damage. I would like to get to virgin hair and then let the ends fairytail.

SoI will have to see if my hair looks ok then or if it just looks stringy.

ddiana1979
December 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I think fairytale ends can look quite nice on straight hair that is iii thickness or near it. To each his or her own though. I think I'll try to maintain a U hemline when I get to my destination. I don't think I have the thickness to pull off fairytale. It'll just end up looking like I got run over by a lawnmower. :(

Artsy
December 14th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I have a tendency to get them naturally over a few years without trimming. I find that twisting and trimming method contributes to the thinned out ends.

feralnature
December 14th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the comments. As my hair changes and lengthens, I get more and different ideas. I entertain thoughts of all sorts of hair.

curlymarcia
December 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I started with V shape and layers, I think my fine hair, S&D and even some chemical damage contribute to my fairytail. I cut every 3 or 4 months.

Bene
December 15th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I think when people write it fairytail ends, it's one of those their/there/they're type of mistakes.

heidihug
December 15th, 2010, 01:47 PM
heidihug your hair is beautiful, and your ends go on forever! When was your last major trim?
Major trim? Like more than an inch or so? I honestly can't remember - years and years ago! And, thus - my fairytale ends! I trim my hair about an inch every six months or so.

I agree about the fairytales looking best on curly-haired people. I have very straight hair normally, and I only wear it down in public once a year, when I set it in perm rods.

girlcat36
December 15th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I always trim my hair straight across, but within a couple months it just fairytales again.

melikai
December 15th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I'm cultivating fairytale ends by not trimming, and a while ago I cut my end into more of a V-shape with layers. My hair is sort of wavy, sort of straight, so we'll see if it looks horrid when I get there! :)

Schefflera
December 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I also get them by not trimming. They develop fairly quickly, which is a good thing because I always have trouble getting the ends tucked properly right after a trim!

C. sinensis
December 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I think when people write it fairytail ends, it's one of those their/there/they're type of mistakes.

Or possibly an analogy to "ponytail"? :)

OhioLisa
December 15th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I don't trim, so fairytale ends are inevitable. I don't think you have to be a curly for them to look nice. Then again, I am not big on blunt ends anyway. :shrug:

LovelyL
December 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM
as others have already said, it's all about not trimming, since each hair has its own rate of growth

maybe you can have pretend fairytale ends by doing a bodge-job of layering the hair :o

JulietCapulet
December 15th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I think they are pretty

NouvelleNymphe2
March 29th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Thank you for this thread OP:flower:. I am in love with the fairytale ends I see on some of the long hairs. I hope that I develop them once I reach APL or BSL. I like them curly, wavy, straight you name it. So not trimming gives you those lovely fairytale ends. Hmm...perhaps I might have to join no trims 2011 as opposed to trimming every 6 months!?!?:p

spidermom
March 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM
My ends ended up crunchy and lousy with split ends and white dots. Back to a defined hem at tailbone for me!

Misti
March 29th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Yep, no trims was my "method". (I have trimmed twice in the last 10 years.)

But I am starting to do more micro trims to see if I can't fill out the hem a little more. I don't hate fairytale ends, but mine or so thin and uneven that they annoy me.

jackiesjottings
March 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Mine happen naturally. Combination of fine and thin hair and only doing micro trims.

jojo
March 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM
My hair is so fine, medium thickness but fine. After 4 months of not trimming I had the beginings of them, I like them on others especially very, very long hair but my hair is too short yet to carry them off, maybe when I hit classic in a million years time I will sport them!

Mesmerise
March 29th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Before I came to this forum I didn't know what Fairytale ends were, but I would have said I didn't like them, BUT since seeing many pics here, I'm starting to think they look really lovely, but only under certain conditions lol.

For starters, I think they look better with wavy, wurly or curly hair than dead straight hair... I also think they look best in long hair (that is with the tails hanging longer than waist... so hair would need to be probably hip length I think).

It's just my opinion, but when it happens in hair shorter than waist, to me it just looks like a good trim is needed (especially if the hair is on the straighter side). I think it looks a little more "neglected" at shorter lengths, and I prefer blunt ends (straight or U shaped) shorter than waist. Longer than waist, I find more variety is okay!

I am not sure fairytale ends will ever work with my hair :confused:. At the moment it will probably fairytale easily after waist (probably before then lol) because my ends are already tapering badly, but for me I don't yet get that nice sorta hmm narrowish fairytale... my ends just spread out and look thin (it doesn't hang right at this length, which is probably why I prefer it on much longer hair, as the hair hangs more...or something?!). Weirdly my ends are kinda straight at the moment, and the middle section of my hair is much wurlier (I do NOT get this at all lol...) it sorta looks like I'm growing out straightened hair... I think it would look much nicer if my ends wurled a bit.