PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Curls... Le Blah

jesis
December 14th, 2010, 02:36 PM
So I started using Aubrey Organics conditioner along with my regular Shampoo/Conditioner. Just to have an extra condition when I shower. I'm not quite ready to move onto CO yet. I also began using coconut oil at the same time. I've noticed that my curls aren't nearly as defined as they were before and they lose their curl much easier. I'm not sure if I'm overdoing the oil? What's going on here?

I also have more tangles. Before I never had tangles! Even after not washing/combing for 2 or 3 days, I would barely have any tangles. Is the new stuff causing this?

Ugh, I don't want to give up on coconut oil yet, I've heard so many good things about it on this forum.

Any suggestions? Advice? Help! :confused:

cataphract
December 14th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I would like to know as well. I am having a similar problem with my latest coconut oil experiment and the loss of my curls/waves.... If nothing else, I'm in the same boat! :)

jesis
December 14th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I might have to kick it out of my regimen unless I'm straightening my hair (which I don't do very often).

Anyone know what we can do?!

Love23101
December 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I think it might be that you are using too much oil. I started off with VERY small amounts and have never had a problem... Plus, I have curly hair

Nice to meet you ;) I'm new here

jesis
December 14th, 2010, 05:37 PM
How do you distribute it through your hair?

Nice to meet you too! :D Welcome to LHC, I haven't been here too long myself.

little_cherry
December 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Perhaps you took on too many things at the same time and your hair freaked? How have you been using the coconut oil?

What is in these shampoos and conditioners? Do you wash with warm water?

jesis
December 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I just damp oil with it right after showering. It could be, my hair does tend to get oily easily. It all might be weighing my hair down.

Should I run it through my hair after it's dry?

jesis
December 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I'm not using too much either, just a couple of small drops on my ends and the length of my hair.

little_cherry
December 14th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Since you have 2 conditioners, I suggest the CWC method to wean yourself to CO. Who knows, perhaps you'll love CWC!

jesis
December 14th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Yes, I am planning to do my research as soon as I'm done with finals!

I'm not sure why it would be causing more tangles though. That's the part that bothers me most and the biggest reason why I posted this.

little_cherry
December 14th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Somethings I'd like to know:

When was the last time you clarified and do your conditioners and shampoos contain protein and/or 'cones and 'xanes?

spidermom
December 14th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Oil on clean hair causes massive tangling for me because it attracts dust and lint to my hair. I get much better results from oiling rather generously the night before I wash it (or at least an hour or two before). There is some evidence to suggest that oil doesn't really benefit your hair until your cuticle is raised from warm water and shampoo, then it penetrates and does its magic.

Remember, when you are trying new things for your hair, make ONE change and observe for two weeks. If you don't get a good result, abandon the change.

Love23101
December 14th, 2010, 05:58 PM
You rub the oil in your hands to heat it up, then you massage it like you would if you were shampooing. Then comb your hair to distribute it... or you can apply it to your tips if needed.

You can also separate your hair into chunks to make sure you are getting the scalp.

I do that, then wait for an hour or over night and rinse and shampoo two times. Then after my hair is dried from the shower, I put a VERY small amount throughout my hair.

jesis
December 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM

When was the last time you clarified and do your conditioners and shampoos contain protein and/or 'cones and 'xanes?

I haven't clarified yet, but I've had bad experiences in the past clarifying my hair. It dries my hair out and makes it feel brittle. My shampoo and conditioner have all of those things, hence why I bought Aubrey Organics. But I'm starting to wonder if my hair doesn't like cones.

Oil on clean hair causes massive tangling for me because it attracts dust and lint to my hair. I get much better results from oiling rather generously the night before I wash it (or at least an hour or two before). There is some evidence to suggest that oil doesn't really benefit your hair until your cuticle is raised from warm water and shampoo, then it penetrates and does its magic.

Remember, when you are trying new things for your hair, make ONE change and observe for two weeks. If you don't get a good result, abandon the change.

I will try that then, I use evoo and honey regularly and have always had good results with that. Thanks for the advice!

And I will leave the coconut oil out for now and try CWC. :) Thanks sooo much! I just want my curls to look their best.

little_cherry
December 14th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I haven't clarified yet, but I've had bad experiences in the past clarifying my hair. It dries my hair out and makes it feel brittle. My shampoo and conditioner have all of those things, hence why I bought Aubrey Organics. But I'm starting to wonder if my hair doesn't like cones.
As a rule, I always make sure I do a deep moisturising treatment after clarifying or a protein treatment. Perhaps you could try it that way and see if there are any improvements?

If your shampoo and conditioner have cones and protein, it does sound like you're getting lots of build up very quickly with the coconut oil. I highly recommend clarifying followed by an SMT made with a cone free protein free conditioner. I found I couldn't use as much oil as usual when I was using cones....cones also seemed to dry my hair out even after I clarified.

girlcat36
December 14th, 2010, 06:24 PM

I used to think that my hair couldn't tolerate clarifying, but it really has made a world of difference! What you describe sounds like build-up on your hair and it needs to be removed, especially if you are going cone-free.
I clarify with Joico chelating shampoo, or just baking soda well diluted in warm water. Clarifying with baking soda must always be followed up with an ACV rinse.

cataphract
December 14th, 2010, 09:35 PM

For me, I use baking soda with a vinegar rinse about 2.5-3x a week. If my hair is especially oily (which it isn't often as my hair tends toward the dry side of things) I will use borax instead of baking soda and continue as usual. I put coconut oil on just my ends, from about the collar bone down (I have nearly BSL hair). I'll run my thumbnail backwards across the solidified top (we keep our house a bit chilly) until I have a full pinky and then warm it in my hands. The most I've done at once has been 2 pinkies full through my pretty thick hair.

jesis
December 15th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Okay, I'll get some clarifying shampoo! Thanks everyone :D