PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Hair Care Routine-Honest Feedback Please!

Kaya
December 14th, 2010, 12:51 PM
So, I'm a complete newbie here, though I could be considered a lurker on this community for the last few days. I've been totally blown away by amount of information available. It's crazy, in a good way! :bluebiggr
I made the decision to grown my hair out after discovering, as selfish and horrible as it might sound, what good hair I have. I know, I sound very conceited, but I didn't realize Indian hair is what's used in all those expensive hair extensions and weaves. It actually made me angry when I researched the whole process, but that's a different story.
Anyways, I figured I would embrace my heritage and grow my hair out, long and lovely. I've always loved long hair, but never considered truly growing it out long until now. I was thrilled to find this community, since there really isn't anyone around here that truly understands how long I intend to grow my hair out to.
So, I'm hoping to get some honest feedback on my hair care routine. Just helpful suggestions or tips. Even opinions are welcome.
Right now, my hair is about BSL and I'm aiming for tailbone length. My hair history isn't too painful, I think. I tend to shy away from hair appliances. No hair dryers, curlers, rollers, crimpers, etc. I will use a flat iron every so often, since I do love my hair when it's sleek and straight. Maybe once a month, if that. Obviously, I get blasted when I go to the salon to get a trim, but that happens maybe 2-3 times a year. I have also had my hair dyed a grand total of three times: twice to get red highlights, and once to have everything dyed back to my original color.
I've switched to wide tooth combs for my hair and tossed my plastic pin brush. Recently, I purchased an inexpensive 100% BBB, which I will use every other day, to help distribute natural oils. My hair and scalp feels better after a gentle brushing.
I will admit, I shower everyday and I cannot stand shower caps or pinning up, so my hair gets wet everyday. And my wet hair tangles to no end. I will either wash and condition, or just condition. I bounce around with my products a lot. I'm trying out cone-free products and got rid of the shampoos that had ammonium-based ingredients. Though, I think my hair enjoys cone-based products more than cone-free ones.
I'm always careful with my wet hair, combing and detangling with conditioner in it, and never brushing it. I use a Turbie-Twist afterwards. I shower before bed, so I almost always go to bed with damp hair. I braid it and tend to either trail it out on the pillow, or coil it up and lay on it. I plan to switch to a satin/silk pillowcase in the near future.
I favor braids during the day. Generally a single english braid down the back. I'll either rebraid it while it's still damp from the previous night, or let it air dry first then braid.
Recently, I discovered hair oiling and incorporated that into my hair care. Usually I do a heavy oiling once a week. I want to experiment with doing light oiling every day. Vatika Coconut oil has been my main choice, but I've ordered some Brahmi oil to try, It's basically coconut oil with a lot of Indian herbs. I also have been looking into Monoi oil. Mainly because of the scents. Might be good for daily use.
Ok, it seems like I've spilled my hair care guts to the world! I would appreciate some feedback, even constructive criticism is welcome.
Thank for listening to me drivel on! :hollie:

Madora
December 14th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I can't advise too much since I'm pretty much a minamalist when it comes to what I use on my hair.

To avoid hair tangles when showering (since you don't wish to pin your hair up or use a shower cap), I'd suggest to braid your hair while showering. It will still get wet, but at least it will be confined and not free flowing.

I'd also suggest brushing with your boar bristle brush every day (be sure and use a wide tooth comb to remove all tangles before brushing!).

Not only does regular brushing impart a lovely shine, it also makes your hair soft and brushing exercises your hair follicles and removes any particles that may have lodged in your hair.

Good luck on your hair quest!

redwoman
December 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Welcome to the long hair community!

spidermom
December 14th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I thought that I couldn't shower without at least rinsing my hair for the longest time, but I've developed the habit of using a shower cap except for wash days (twice per week). I can let the warm water rain down on the shower cap to get a similar sensation, but when I'm all done, my hair is dry.

Other than mentioning that, I can't find fault with your routine, and I imagine that you have very strong hair since that seems to be typical for Indian hair. Welcome to the community; have fun!