PDA

View Full Version : Do these ingredients include silicone?

Bibliophile
December 14th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Hi folks,

I'm currently using traditional products but am trying to avoid silicone (seems to be helping my hair thicken up). My favorite hair product is by Aveda, it's their Light Elements Texturizing Creme. I emailed the company to ask for the ingredient list, and they sent it to me. However, looking at it, I'm not sure if there's silicone in here or not. It doesn't SEEM to have any, but I'm not familiar with all the different names for silicone - can anyone else tell me if they spot silicone in this stuff?

Water\Aqua\Eau [] Glycerin [] Dimethicone [] Cetyl Esters [] Octyldodecyl Myristate [] Stearic Acid [] Batyl Alcohol [] Camellia Oleifera Seed Extract [] Sasa Veitchii Extract [] Phellodendron Amurense Bark Extract [] Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract\Extrait D'Orge A Deux Rangs [] Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax\Candelilla Cera\Cire De Candelilla [] Beeswax\Cera Alba\Cire D’Abeille [] Lecithin [] Glyceryl Dibehenate [] Arginine [] Jojoba Esters [] Squalane [] Tribehenin [] Acrylic Acid/VP Crosspolymer [] Glyceryl Behenate [] Oryzanol [] Pullulan [] Gluconolactone [] Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride [] Fragrance (Parfum) [] Limonene [] Geraniol [] Citronellol [] Linalool [] Benzyl Benzoate [] Citral [] Cinnamal [] Eugenol [] Calcium Gluconate [] Ethylhexylglycerin [] Phenoxyethanol [] Sodium Benzoate <ILN35660>

Thank you!

OhioLisa
December 14th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Dimethicone is one for sure, and very high on the list. Steer clear.

jujube
December 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Dimethicone is a very common silicone. FYI silicone names often end in -cone, which is why we name them 'cones at LHC.

Many choose to go completely cone-free, but some still use them, it's up to you to experiment and find out what you like. A healthy hair routine can include them. If you really like the product, you might end up using it despite the silicones, but if you're really commited to avoiding them, find an alternative.

Anje
December 15th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Yep, #3 on the list is dimethicone. I don't see any other silicones in there, though.

Don't worry. As you get used to the names, you get good at spotting the things.

Bibliophile
December 20th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks all! I'm bummed, that stuff is SO NICE! Oh well. I'll find an alternative. :)

MinderMutsig
December 20th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks all! I'm bummed, that stuff is SO NICE! Oh well. I'll find an alternative. :) If your hair likes it I would just keep using it. Go by what your hair tells you works for you, not by what others tell you works for them.

In2wishin
December 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM
If your hair likes it I would just keep using it. Go by what your hair tells you works for you, not by what others tell you works for them.

I second this advice! Everyone's hair is different and everyone's preferences are different. It is all trial and error to decide what is good for you but let your hair tell you, like MinderMutsig said.