PDA

View Full Version : Wedding hairdo suggestions

magicatt
June 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
My brother's wedding is June 21st. It's a second marriage for both of them so they are only having my brother's son as an attendant. This means that all the other relatives get to sit and enjoy the ceremony--which is a completely new experience for me with family weddings. That also means I get to wear whatever I want--no required bridesmaid dress. (YAY!!) I have just lost four dress sizes and now fit back into an amazing dress that I've worn only once before in 2001. It's a pale pink crocheted lace sleeveless dress with a matching short sleeve jacket. Here's a picture:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/magicatt/dressforwedding.jpg

This is where I'm hoping some of you can help me. I'm really not sure what to do with my hair. I'm really thrilled at how good this dress looks on me and I want to figure out a great hair style to go with it. I want to look awesome in all those wedding photos that will be in the homes and photo albums of all my family members.

Now to the details. My hair is at "can I call this hip" length, straight and I have a ton of it. I think I look better in half-ups (including half-up buns) than with all my hair up. I think the buns look better that way too because I can barely manage more than one revolution in cinnabun if I use all my hair. I also like braids--and I can do pretty much all styles of braid.

So far, the only idea I've had is a rose bun with a rope braid accent--essentially looking like a long stem rose. I'm really open to suggestions though. I want something elaborate enough to be eye-catching but something I won't have to worry will be falling out all over the place.

So, does anyone have a suggestion?

frizzinator
June 4th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Congratulations on the weight loss! I know you are happy to have this opportuntiy to dress up in your own style.

With your hair thickness, you can do just about any hairstyle. I'm only familiar with what works for thin hair; however, with such a lovely and romantic dress I can't help but suggest something like a Gibson girl updo or the Gibon tuck. You can frame your face with a loose roll on both sides. If you have trouble keeping the tail in the pocket, it can be made like 2 french twists with the openings facing each other, then of course, you would put something like maybe a flower or a beautiful comb or barrette to hold it together.

magicatt
June 4th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks, Frizzinator. I think you're right about the Gibson-esque styles being very romantic. I'll have to experiment and see if I can get one of those styles to work for me. I've only managed them once or twice and I want to make sure I can do it reliably or I'm sure I'll be doing it in the car on the way to the wedding! Thanks for the great suggestion.

hurricane_gia
June 4th, 2008, 08:27 PM
You say you can only do one revolution of a cinnabun because your hair is so thick, but what about dividing your hair into two parts; Like a half-up cinnabun, then take the bottom part of your hair and wrap it around the cinnabun again. A rose bun would look nice that way, too.

In another thread they were discussing a thing called a cameo bun which might be pretty: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6181&highlight=cameo

magicatt
June 5th, 2008, 04:26 PM
That's an interesting bun. I'll have to give that a try and see how it looks. My concern is that my braids are so thick that they could be considered deadly weapons--even when I only use half of my hair! I may have to do that style as a half up and use a quarter of my hair each for the two halves of the bun.