PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Hair Styles

BellCat
December 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Since joining LHC i've been braiding my hair at night to protect it from tangles and damage, but I really hate braid waves in my hair. How can I sleep with it so it doesnt wave as much or at all. I don't have a sleep cap or know where to buy one that isnt online. Is there any other styles or 'homemade' sleep caps that anyone uses?

Thanks

Ravenne
December 14th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I got a sleep cap at wal-mart. I don't know where you are, but they're really cheap there. But they're really simple. If you google sleep cap patterns, I bet you can make one out of some silk/satin and some elastic. =)

I can't really think of a sleep style that wouldn't give waves though...

prosperina
December 14th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I don't know if you're in the US or not, but I second the Walmart sleep cap suggestions. Mine cost a dollar. It's a bit of satin with some elastic around it, very easy to make I think. I don't care for Walmart, but I only spent a dollar--now if I could just keep the thing on my head at night!

xovictoryxo
December 14th, 2010, 11:21 AM
some girls wrap their hair first.
I havent yet mastered this technique yet

WaitingSoLong
December 14th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I made one. I cannot find anything like it and I cannot tell you how to make it. It took me forever to make one and it is not pretty but it does the job.

Looks for pic....
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/P1030516.jpg

ETA: I made it from a pair of silky pajama pants I got at Goodwill for cheap. The stretchy kind. I had to cut the pair in half, I used the elastic from the waist of it as the part around my head. It took some major trial and error to get it somewhat tapered around my head and then I tapered the length. It is open on the bottom, I stick my h and through it, grab my hair and pull my hair through it and place the elastic around my head. I cover my ears with it because it is more comfortable and stays on better, too.

cmnt831
December 14th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I wear a top-knot (really a loose cinnabun on top of my head) to sleep in and it straightens my curly/wavy hair out, but I don't know how it would affect your hair-type.

BellCat
December 14th, 2010, 11:26 AM
im not in the US unfortunately :( theres no walmart! :( i dont mind big waves just dont braid waves :/

I love that sleepcap :P I was thinking would I be crazy to wear a shower cap lol

skaempfer
December 14th, 2010, 11:27 AM
oh! somebody just posted a couple of pictures about that and it had worked for her really well. Who was that? She had lovely blond hair.

Back in a sec; going to see if I can find it...

Found it! It was Praisecheeses (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60917&highlight=wrapping+hair). She had a couple of photographs- and a link to another thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17291) for instructions. Perhaps that will work for you?

Good luck. :)

redwoman
December 14th, 2010, 11:28 AM
You could try a simple ponytail on the top of your head and let the tail hang over the top of your pillow.

Kathie
December 14th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Heres a link from Habioku's channel. I believe she is a member here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Habioku#p/search/0/a4sgyOyBpbo

From about 2:15 onwards it shows her making a low pony-tail with multiple ties along the length to keep it straight.

GeoJ
December 14th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I made my own sleepcap. I bought a yard of silk satin, draped it over my head and roughly marked a big circle. Stitched the edges by hand to form a tube, ran a piece of elastic through the tube and tied it to the correct tightness for my head.

cataphract
December 14th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I had tried a Gibson tuck type style with the holder WAAAAY down at the ends and had forgotten about it and slept on it. The next morning I didn't have any added waves and my hair usually takes on the shape of anything.

Haha, it was a busy enough day that I 'forgot' I had done something with my hair. What a dork I am.

BellCat
December 14th, 2010, 11:46 AM
thanks for all the help everyone :) im goina try at few things out when my hair dries :P

Anje
December 14th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Check your local drugstore/pharmacy or anywhere you might buy haircutting scissors. Look among the combs and hair doodads for one. I've noticed that they're often marketed toward women of African descent, so if there's a subsection like that in the store, check there too.

My (store-bought) sleep bonnets are essentially large circles of satin (not sure how big... bigger than a frozen pizza, though. Maybe 16" in diameter?) with a tube of fabric around the edge and a drawstring in that tube. Pretty easy to make, except that sewing satin has a bit of a learning curve. You could put a regular drawstring or elastic in the tube, but I'd say to leave the ends long and hanging out so the tension can be adjusted over time, even if you use elastic.

I'd suggest using thin satin if possible. Also, be aware that you still might get waves, but they don't look like braidwaves.

tinti
December 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Sometimes I just put my hair in a looped bun and put a buff over, it does the job :)

Kristin
December 14th, 2010, 12:54 PM
This is going to sound bad to some people, but I usually sleep with my hair loose. I let it dry overnight and it would NEVER dry if I put it in a braid or bun. I use a satin pillowcase. No damage. If I want waves/a little volume, I do a cinnamon bun on the top of my head and secure it with 2-4 spin pins. I've tried doing hair ties down the length, but that just made kinks with stick straight ends; not cute, in my opinion.

Melisande
December 14th, 2010, 11:59 PM
BellCat, why not simply cover your pillow with a silk scarf? That's what I did. I have a sleep cap but it pinches my ears OUCH!, and a sleep net which scratches my head EECH and I'm uncomfortable with a bun and too lazy to braid.

I have been sleeping with a lovely soft silk scarf over my pillow for four years now. I toss it into the washer regularly and it's still soft and very pleasant to the touch. Good for my skin, too. I simply spread it over my pillow and fix it with two knots on the underside of the pillow. That's it.

No split ends, no frizz, open hair at night and no problems ;-)

allurose
December 15th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Waitingsolong I love your cap! It's nice and long, I bet it prevents tangles a lot better than the muffin cap style. I might try that...

To OP: I got my "satin" cap at Walgreens. It was $4 but it's only silky on the outside (dumb, right?), so I use it inside-out.

allurose
December 15th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Forgot to add, I thought about a silk pillowcase too, but it just didn't make sense for long hair like mine. 80% of my hair hangs over the back of the bed if it's not braided or capped or something. So it doesn't seem like a pillowcase will help that much. I might still try it though, I dunno.

Mina83
December 21st, 2010, 02:30 PM
I wrap my hair to sleep

BelleBot
December 21st, 2010, 03:37 PM
I put my hair up in a cinnabun/bee butt bun on the very top of my head, secure it with a little clip. And then wrap a silk scarf just around the bun and knot it at the base of the bun, keeps it protected and secure.
I never have much luck keeping a silk scarf on my head during the night as I toss and turn so much, but just over the bun seems to work fine. :)

fairy_ends_girl
December 21st, 2010, 05:49 PM
allurose, i bought the same one as you and i wear mine inside out too!! i dont understand why on earth they put the satin on the outside and that horrible poly on the inside!! i do however find the cap a bit uncomfy, the band hurts my head. i was going to try a satin pillow case but i'd rather keep my hair all snuggly in a cap instead of getting all tangly down. i really dislike sleeping in braids, they are very uncomfy.

pennylane
December 21st, 2010, 06:28 PM
A week ago I "discovered" that sleeping with a simple bun gives me nice controlled waves when i let it down in the morning! :cheese:

(of course if i am with my significant other at night, my hair is loose! ;):D)