View Full Version : Ugh-I used temporary hair dye and it's NOT temporary!

erika_d
December 14th, 2010, 10:16 AM
:mad: I was growing out my left over dye jobs...it actually looked pretty decent in terms of natural hair meeting dyed hair-the colors were pretty good. But my hair is SO ASHY that I CANNOT stand it. I loathe my natural hair color. but I was trying to like it.

I know that most people only see "dark blonde" but I see dishwater. :puke:

And since I refuse to spend money at the salon, I always did my own color. Since I had been growing out my hair naturally anyway, and I knew I mostly just wanted a change so opted for a 28-washes dye.

It was supposed to wash out!!!??? I admit, I knew I was taking a bit of a risk because how can a dye lighten your hair temporarily?! IT's not possible! You need peroxide to do that, or ammonia of whatever...both of which are permanent. But I did it anyway and there is no way it's washed out.

The good news is that it is such a close match to my natural hair color the roots are very bearable. It almost is my natural hair color but it's a more neutral/golden base and just not ashy.

Also, I do love the color, and my hair doesn't damage easily at all, so from now on if I keep just doing the roots (which won't be that noticeable until about 2") I should be okay.

Finally, I do get to see my new growth every month!!!

^that's me trying to cheer myself up.

GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! :rant: /rant

Thanks for listening. :o

spidermom
December 14th, 2010, 10:27 AM
My niece did "temporary" black over her ash blonde hair, and it was permanent, too. It happens. I'm glad the color change is not too drastic in your case.

redwoman
December 14th, 2010, 12:07 PM
At least you love the color.

erika_d
December 14th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Yeah, at least there's that. lol! I'm such an idiot...

Viechen
December 14th, 2010, 12:16 PM
HA, I did "temporary black" except that it was not temporary. So, $100 and four hours of bleaching by a stylist that didnt know what they were doing later I ended up with half my hair and vowed to never repeat the experience again :)
Im glad you like your color now and being able to see your growth is a cool thing :p I wish I could do that but my hair damages sooo easily...

SpinDance
December 14th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Ha! The semi-permanent or 28-washes dye is not temporary. At least not on me. That's what was used on my hair during the 3.5 years I had it died, and what would have been my silvers are still gold-tinged and the rest is a warm brown. Warm colors are not good on me, and my naturals are coming back in white and very dark ash brown. I've still got probably 3 or so years before all of this dye grows out. -sighs-

juliaxena
December 14th, 2010, 12:55 PM
So, you are sayin your dye had no peroxide and ammonia and it made your hai lighter? Which one is it then?

Dreams_in_Pink
December 14th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Head and shoulders. You make 4 pigtails, lather them with that and let it sit for 1+ hours. You can tie the tails with a plastic bag to prevent drying and dripping. Sooner you start, more dye will fade out.

Don't touch your scalp though. Letting that thing on your scalp for that much time will irritate badly.

The dye you used sounds like a demi permanent, which i used. I managed to go from blue-black to natural brown with this method. Not the whole dye washed out, but mine was BLACK so it has more staying power than any other one.

Anywhere
December 14th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Yeah, those "temporary" blonde dyes aren't really temporary.. I found a dye this weekend that I was going to use on my hair, it was demi-permanent. supposedly washes out in 28 shampoos. I looked on the box and the second ingredient was hydrogen peroxide. Needless to say I put that box back (it was for a dark brown).
I use Clairol Loving Instincts when I need a temporary change. It washes out in 6-18 shampoos I think? It has no peroxide or ammonia but it does say on the box that if you choose a color darker than your natural hair color it will not fade out in the 6-18 shampoos.

Jeno86
December 15th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I know how that does. I dyed my hair purple not too long ago. It was such a lovely color that faded to blue then to green. However, the green would not come out...at all. I tried everything I knew of short of bleach. After about three months of trying, I gave in and had my mom take me to her hair lady. Lucky for me though she used a very light bleaching method which did little if any damnage to my hair and got it all out. Good times.

UltraBella
December 15th, 2010, 08:07 AM
If it was a 28 day wash out, it is a Demi color and it does have a developer, most likely peroxide. The developer is weak, it is supposed to be just enough to open the cuticle so color can be deposited. It is not supposed to lift your natural color but it can, but not by much. I use a Demi color to get my coppery red shade. On me it slowly fades to a strawberry blonde but it takes a really long time, much longer than 28 washes. Luckily, I love my color and want it to last as long as possible :)

Fethenwen
December 15th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Well, if you like your hair having a more neutral/golden base as you put it, maybe you could try using cassia? It might give an ashy tone a more golden one, pluss that it somewhat strengthens the hair the same way as henna does. But remember to do a strand test if you try it.

You might need to use cassia about once a month to keep up the golden hues, I'm not sure how much or quickly it fades really as I haven't used cassia as a colourant as such.