PDA

View Full Version : Comb overs

CastaDiva
December 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I saw a man the other day with the most elaborate comb over I`ve ever seen:D The fact that some men with thinning hair have comb overs made me realise even more how important hair can be and I`m sure that it can be quite a challenge to make a comb over as "neat" as possible and I can imagine that it requires more than a few minutes in front of a mirror in order to get it right:) I don`t want to offend people with comb overs, because losing ones hair can be a big deal so I have nothing but respect for men with comb overs:thumbsup: and I really don`t mean this as a thread to make fun of people who are losing their hair, I was just wondering what you think of a comb over as a "hair style":)

Dragon
December 14th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I like comb over’s and know hair. I guess I like comb over’s because it’s a sine that they haven’t given up on there appearance and they are doing the best with what they have got. And I do think it looks good.

bumblebums
December 14th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I think there is a generational divide with respect to comb-overs. Younger men (40 years old or younger) tend to just shave it all off; perhaps the rise of prominent shaved celebrities such as Patrick Stewart and Michael Jordan has something to do with that.

I think comb-overs can certainly look very weird. I know an older gentleman who has one, and whenever he gets caught in the wind, the hair stands up on end like an asymmetrical sort of mohawk. Just odd. He has a nice skull, too--he could totally pull off the shaved look.

lapushka
December 14th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I think there is a generational divide with respect to comb-overs. Younger men (40 years old or younger) tend to just shave it all off; perhaps the rise of prominent shaved celebrities such as Patrick Stewart and Michael Jordan has something to do with that.

There is a difference between generations, that's for sure. I think it's rare or even non-existent these days for young, balding men, to have comb overs. It's something of generations past.

Personally, I don't much like them. I think they're odd, and even though it's hard to lose your hair, if it were me, I'd rather bite the bullet and go bald, maybe wear a wig or look for some other type of solution.

enfys
December 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Yes, I think the biggest down fall of combovers is the wind issue. I know DH would never go for that look.
Generally I think shaving their head works out easier in the long run, and is less stressful. Imagine all that precise combing for a gust of wind to spoil it! And I imagine it needs a mirror to fix.

littlenvy
December 14th, 2010, 10:10 AM
hhmm ... one of my co-workers had a very good barber who would cut his hair so that it didn't look at all like a comb over.
It was longer at the sides but tapered and he comb it forwards so it looked old Roman style.
But I have seen VERY bad ones too; when the part starts right above the ear :lipssealed:

spidermom
December 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I've seen some bad comb-overs, too, but I always have more than a little compassion for it. Doing the best you can with what you have should count for something.

I do prefer the shaved head to a comb-over, though.

MissLala
December 14th, 2010, 10:30 AM
My brother went to Purdue University and their old basketball coach had the ultimate comb over. Look him up. His name is Gene Keady. You'll be shocked. I also must applaud Donald Trump for how he handled baldness. :p
I really want longer hair and have been thinking about cheating hehe. A little bit of hair extensions (http://www.proextensions.com) and some highlights are really tempting. I'll try to stay true though :blushing:
(http://www.proextensions.com/)

Arya
December 14th, 2010, 10:40 AM
well, there are impressive feats of combover win, and there are sad combovers that make you feel sorry for them. Baldness always looks better IMO.

jojo
December 14th, 2010, 11:28 AM
well I am going to be honest and mean no offence to anybody but I think comb overs look ridiculous, almost as silly as men who grow a pony tail to compensate thinning on top. Personally I think a shaved head looks quite sexy and makes the man look younger than with the comical comb over just my opinion and no offence meant to anybody who like them.

Shellby
December 14th, 2010, 11:36 AM
In my experience with some friends who have/had this hair style, the comb over starts with just a little and then as the hair continues to recede it gets bigger and bigger. At first it looks fine but then they get more and more elaborate. I have a friend who had his so combed over and twisted around that his one side of his hair was about to his shoulder! It took him forever to get it just right. A gust of wind and it would wave at you. At some point he just got fed up. Shaved head is a much better look!

Nae
December 14th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Yeah, sometimes they can look good but whenever I hear the words comb over I think of my high school english teacher he had a huge comb over.

It looked okay most of the time but oh my goodness, when he dropped the chalk or got overly animated it would flop down to his shoulder and then that was all you could look at. Talk about a distraction in class, every 15 year old in the room couldn't keep their eyes off of it.

He was a great teacher though, one of the best ever.

RachelRain
December 14th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I like comb over’s and know hair. I guess I like comb over’s because it’s a sine that they haven’t given up on there appearance and they are doing the best with what they have got. And I do think it looks good.

I dunno, I've always thought it looked better when you *didn't* put all the work into an elaborate combover... maybe it has to do with my dad and my brother both being baldies. My brother's only three years older than me and has a bald spot the size of a compact mirror in the back. It probably depends on the combover though... the ones they used to try to give my dad when he went in to get his beard trimmed were hilarious. I wish I had pictures. One seriously looked like a duck's wing, you'd all crack up.

(I'm not saying they all look funny, just the ones they kept giving him. I just like the 'own up to your baldness' type attitude.)

It might be because I'm less concerned with appearance than what your personality is like, though... I've been noticing that lately, especially compared to my boyfriend and the way he acts around new people.

LisaMonster
December 14th, 2010, 12:20 PM
My boyfriend is on his way to combover land, lol.

He's got some really thick, wonderful curls, but his hairline has started receding a little bit. Right now, he just pulls the uppermost curls forward, and it looks fine, but he's really self-conscious about it.

He had some pretty terrible hair about three years ago that he totally regrets. We laugh about it now, but I've promised to keep him in check about what looks good or doesn't. I imagine I might need to intervene in the future.

DARKMARTIAN
December 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I love comb overs......without them this world would be a much more sullen place to live.

xovictoryxo
December 14th, 2010, 01:26 PM
my dad has one. he keeps it very nice and trimmed and it looks nice on him. my sister makes fun of him for it tho. I think its waayyy better then a toupee! (spelling?)

feralnature
December 14th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I do not like comb-overs.

Bonkers57
December 14th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I cast my vote for shaving/trimming.

Anje
December 14th, 2010, 02:02 PM
My brother went to Purdue University and their old basketball coach had the ultimate comb over. Look him up. His name is Gene Keady. You'll be shocked. I also must applaud Donald Trump for how he handled baldness. :p
Wow... Is that a combover or a rug?

I'm definitely pro-clipper cut, given the alternatives. Though I pity the bumpy-headed guys. Hopefully my little brother never goes bald.

yellowchariot
December 14th, 2010, 02:52 PM
well I am going to be honest and mean no offence to anybody but I think comb overs look ridiculous, almost as silly as men who grow a pony tail to compensate thinning on top. Personally I think a shaved head looks quite sexy and makes the man look younger than with the comical comb over just my opinion and no offence meant to anybody who like them.

^ :( :bigeyes: :cry: :wail:

LOL j/k, jojo! I am thankful that i'm not going bald, enough though that trait runs on one side of my family! The other side, not as bad. So I guess I met in the middle ;)

mkmulwee
December 14th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I think comb overs look better than most rugs.

ArienEllariel
December 14th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I think comb overs look extremely silly (please don't be offended). At the same time though, the bald look isn't for everyone. I haven't seen that many men with comb overs though.

Lamb
December 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I had a prof at university who sported a comb-over. The sight of him tracking across campus on a windy day was something to be seen and remembered.:lol:

Angeletti
December 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I'd probably shave my head if I was a guy going through hair loss like that because it's just my personal preference, but for those who wear them I see nothing wrong with it, more power to them.

HairFaerie
December 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I am not a fan of the comb over. I would prefer a shaved head over them. Just my opinion...

DARKMARTIAN
December 14th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Why dont they just draw the lines on there........the wind wont blow THAT away.....:D

However the rain might pose a problem.....:)

DiablitaNoir
December 14th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I agree with the combover-haters...they look RIDICULOUS! Seriously, what makes these guys think that looks good? Sorry, but baldness is sexier than a horrible combover any day. If I were a guy who was losing my hair, I'd definitely shave it all off. It looks much more sexy and intimidating, anyway. ;)

pepperminttea
December 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I'm not a big fan of the combover, but I've never had to face the idea of being bald; if I did, who knows what I'd do to try and fight the inevitable. Incidentally, Bill Bailey and Patrick Stewart both rock the bald/balding look, although in rather different ways! :D

megpeg
December 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I haven't seen many comb-overs, but the ones I have seen have looked strange. Unsure if they all look like this, or if the cases were just individual. Not much a fan. sorry.

bumblebums
December 14th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Maybe we are all wrong about the motivation behind comb-overs. Maybe guys do it because their heads are cold.

DARKMARTIAN
December 14th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Maybe we are all wrong about the motivation behind comb-overs. Maybe guys do it because their heads are cold.

Hats....not hairs....:p

bumblebums
December 14th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hats....not hairs....:p

Think of the comb-over as nature's hat.

DARKMARTIAN
December 14th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Think of the comb-over as nature's hat.

Speaking of natures hat....I think I mentioned this once in another thread but there have been times when I was outside in cold weather without a hat so what I did was I took my hair and essentially gave myself an "under the chin" ponytail. That helped keep my ears, the sides of my head and a bit of my face from receiving direct exposure.
I looked funny....but it worked pretty good..:)

DreadfulWoman
December 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I think a combover is much better than a toupee, but neither is a great look really. Although, if you think about it, we are only really talking about unsuccessful combovers here. The successful ones are thick enough that they don't look like combovers at all.

I wanted to mention, too, that the shaved head look isn't for every guy. DBF used to shave his head, but growing it out his hair has been a great experience for him. (Yes, he is balding-ponytail-guy) For him, shaving his head had been part of an angry-guy image that didn't really fit with who he was anymore. I also think that plain old short hair (minus the combover) can look good on guys who are losing it.

Khiwanean
December 14th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I was just thinking as I read this thread: with how long some men have to have their hair on one side in order to do a comb over, wouldn't it just be easier to grow both sides and and just do something like a french braid down the middle? Then they wouldn't have to worry about it flopping around so much either. Granted, I'm not 100% certain it's possible, but I'd love to track down someone with the right hair/baldness to find out! :eyebrows:

DARKMARTIAN
December 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I was just thinking as I read this thread: with how long some men have to have their hair on one side in order to do a comb over, wouldn't it just be easier to grow both sides and and just do something like a french braid down the middle? Then they wouldn't have to worry about it flopping around so much either. Granted, I'm not 100% certain it's possible, but I'd love to track down someone with the right hair/baldness to find out! :eyebrows:

LMAO.....I just got a picture in my mind of some guy with a "devil-lock" made from the hair on both sides of his head grown COL ...........(comb-over length).....:D

bumblebums
December 14th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Speaking of natures hat....I think I mentioned this once in another thread but there have been times when I was outside in cold weather without a hat so what I did was I took my hair and essentially gave myself an "under the chin" ponytail. That helped keep my ears, the sides of my head and a bit of my face from receiving direct exposure.
I looked funny....but it worked pretty good..:)

LMAO.....I just got a picture in my mind of some guy with a "devil-lock" made from the hair on both sides of his head grown COL ...........(comb-over length).....:D

Okay, this thread is seriously cracking me up now :)

http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/

I am envisioning hair balaclavas and comb-overs french braids made out of beard hair and all sorts of things that will keep me up all night.

DreadfulWoman
December 14th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Oh my goodness! I'm so going to try that on him. :laugh:

eezepeeze
December 14th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I personally am not a fan of the combover, especially when they get caught in the wind. I'm not a fan of the shaved head look either, though. I prefer a balding man just keep his hair trimmed nice and neat, sort of like Harry Smith on the CBS morning show.

Whimsical wind
December 15th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Why not just go bald? Like Bill Bailey, his hair is awesome. :D

Gilly
December 15th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Why not just go bald? Like Bill Bailey, his hair is awesome. :D

I fully agree!!:cheese:

mrs_coffee
December 15th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I would rather see a bald head than a combover.

ravenreed
December 15th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I happen to find bald dudes sexy, and would rather see that than a comb over, but as in all things, people have the right to hairstyles that make themselves happy.

lapushka
December 15th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I was thinking of comb overs as these huge locks of long hair from the side going the opposite direction over a bald head. I wasn't thinking of smaller, subtly covered, bald patches - never thought those were comb overs, actually. If there's still a decent amount of hair on the head, it's not so bad as when all of it is gone on top and hair from the side is taken to cover it, reaching all the way to the other side. Those I don't like. In that case, I think it's better to just go bald.

Themyst
December 15th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I do not care for the comb over look at all. Or the horseshoe look, whatever that is called. I prefer simply bald if it's gone that far.

Ludde
January 24th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I love the horseshoe-look, and I love the bald look, just as I love the long-long-hair-look on guys.

The comb overs I have seen most often works in dignified movements but get impractical if the person has started to move more.

Mesmerise
January 25th, 2011, 01:46 AM
My dad has had a comb over for like... well forever! I've never known him NOT to have one! he was balding in his mid 20s so started then (at least the pics I've seen of him from back in the 60s had comb overs) and well... he's still got one and now he's 71!

I guess it's too late to change him now, and it would look weird for him to be any different!! He's been doing it almost 50 years LOL.

NotInPortland
January 25th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I guess if you're talking about small patches being combed over it could look ok, but the only comb overs I've ever seen (or at least noticed) are old men in at least their seventies with hair combed across their head and gelled on there to hide the bald scalp, but there's not even half the amount of hair to make it work on their heads so it looks utterly ridiculous and you can still totally see their scalp! But I'm not gonna judge, let them do as they wish, I think it gives them personality :D

Pegasus Marsters
January 25th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Personally I prefer no hair at all to a combover, but it's all personal preference really. :)

IndigoAsh
January 25th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I vote for shaving it all off, even if you don't have the head shape for it it'd still look better and be less embarrassing than a comb over.

proo
January 25th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Waterskiing, swimming, water parks - big no no's
OMG this thread is bringing tears to me eyes - I love to start my day with goofiness

walterSCAN
January 25th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Meh, I say let 'em do what they want... and pray I never go bald! :wink: I think it just depends on the guy, his hair, and his personality.

Incidentally, my mom once yelled at me (I was about 6) for trying to telling an older guy who was our neighbor that his hair was sticking up in the back (looked like a duck-tail to me). He had a bit of a comb-over too, and in retrospect I think that she thought I was going to say something about that! Heh. He looked like he was going to work, and I just wanted him to know it was standing up in the back... :shrug:

rose.grace
January 25th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I feel very sorry for people with comb overs. I really do. And I thank God for my hair.

squintinschool
January 25th, 2011, 07:26 PM
My grandfather has one, and I can't imagine him any other way. He still has a decent thickness of hair, so its not stringy, and he never moves in such a way that it flaps. And always wears a hat outside so no wind problems.

ericthegreat
January 26th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Not a fan of comb overs myself either.

I know, I know no one's here to decorate our world but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. The come over just really isn't a good look on anybody. IMHO, I actually also think a shaved head can be very sexy and attractive and I would much prefer the look of a confident, bald guy over a guy who spends half an hour in the morning sculpting the 10 remaining hairs on his head in a futile attempt to hide the fact that he's losing all his hair.

Again, I know this sounds harsh, but I'm of the opinion that if a man is that concerned with his hair loss, then he should take a more aggressive approach to keeping it (hair transplants, taking doctor prescribed drugs, Rogaine, Propecia etc.) or at least buy a few decent, realistic looking wigs. Its either that or again, accept that you are losing your hair and shave it all off.

swivelhop
January 26th, 2011, 12:53 AM
The comb over is not my style-preference. I have seem some I have to respect however! A dear friend of the family had the 'massive swirl' plastered in place. That's knee length hair swirled into the traditional men's short cut shape. At this point its art of its own.

I think yellowchariot said something like: "its the hair you have, not the hair you don't have."

alwayssmiling
January 26th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Yes I find it hard to use the term 'combover' without putting the word 'outrageous' in front of it.

Thankfully men don't seem to afraid of baldness these days (Bruce Willis still looking good). I don't really understand the recent trend for male celebs to go through the trauma of hair transplants when baldness can look so attractive and totally acceptable - just as men with lots of hair.

However, live and let live, I think we have learned an important lesson in the UK over the past few weeks that an 'outrageous' combover does not neccessarily make you a serial killer :rolleyes:

DavidN
January 26th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I have to be honest and say that I have never been a fan of comb overs. However, since I have a reasonable head of hair for someone 57 years old, I realize I am one of the more "fortunate ones", and for that, I am really thankful. I really sympathize with those who are making the most of what they have, and of course, I dread losing mine.

kwaniesiam
January 26th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Now THIS is a combover :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M2ap5JznqE

Edit: NSFW Language in the commentary.

Mesmerise
January 26th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Waterskiing, swimming, water parks - big no no's
OMG this thread is bringing tears to me eyes - I love to start my day with goofiness

Oh yeah...I remember my dad taking us swimming as kids... of course his comb over fell off (he usually uses hairspray to glue it lol), and he had all this long hair down the side of his head!

The sad thing is...I'm so used to his hair that if he DIDN'T have it, it would look so strange! I'm 37 now, and my dad's had it for my entire life! It's the only way I've ever known him lol.

My dad has a sort of round head (as a kid I used to call him Clarlie Brown cause he looked like the Peanuts' character!!) and would look very funny bald!

I guess in a few years time all those old guys with comb overs now will have died out... I can't imagine any younger guys doing it, even if they're balding!

That's a question actually: Have you ever seen a guy under 40 with a comb over?? (Now that is, not in 1973... when I guess it was more common?!)

proo
January 26th, 2011, 05:48 PM
YOu're right, combovers are becoming extinct! We should venerate the remaining.

LadyG
January 26th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I don't care for them, I'd rather see someone with great self esteem and embrace their perfect heads and scalps. That said, my Father does a major comb over, and he wavy white hair past APL in a pony tail. I love him dearly, but it takes huge self control not to shudder when I see his hair.

Ludde
January 27th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I love comb overs......without them this world would be a much more sullen place to live.

:love: :love: :love:

heynormy
January 27th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I actually haven't seen a comb over in a long time! Mainly guys just tend to shave it all off!

lyria
January 28th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Erm, I think the best comb overs are the ones you don't notice. And that can take a lot of hair styling!