PDA

View Full Version : What order? DCT, ACV, etc.

WaitingSoLong
December 14th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Ok, you would think I was a newbie with this question.

I like ACVR's, but now that it is winter I am not washing as often. I use Coconut oil and leave-ins between washes so I feel the need to use shampoo to get all the excess.

I want to do a DCT, I realized I have not done one in awhile and it may solve the issue I have with my ends.

Does it do any good to do a DCT before a wash? Won't I just wash away everything? My poo does have sulfates. I have yet to find a poo that doesn't that my hair likes.

Or maybe I need a SLS free poo and do more ACV's then I won't need sulfates?

And cones. I need cones. Can you do a DCT without cones?

I wish you could do a search for DCT but the search engine will not accept all these abbreviations.

So what order do I do this? I am still searching for the perfect hair care routine with ACV, DCT's and shampooing. I was going to wash my hair today but wanted to do a DCT first (because I do it on dry hair).

I feel like I need to start over! Everything was fine until they stopped making my favorite shampoo.

I am thinking I do not ACVR enough, that I would not need as much conditioner if I did it more. Easy enough. Can you ACVR too much?

I am just so frustrated and I dread washing my hair.

luxepiggy
December 14th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I was pondering this very topic last weekend! I stopped by a high-end salon to purchase some Shu Uemura products, including a moisturizing hair masque. A very helpful stylist there advised me to apply the masque to hair that is partially air-dried, but still damp, following a normal wash.

She explained that when hair is dry, the cuticle is relatively closed, so the masque wouldn't penetrate as well if applied to dry hair. However, if you apply a treatment to wet hair in the shower or directly after, the excess water in the hair effectively dilutes the treatment! That's why the best time to apply treatments is to damp hair, because the cuticle is still partially open, but the hair is not totally waterlogged and will better absorb the beneficial ingredients in the treatment.

Based on her advice and my own experience (I also need cones, and I've started using coconut oil, which I like), I would probably go with:
Coconut oil applied a few hours pre-wash
Regular wash routine
Allow hair to air-dry until damp
DCT; leave on hair for at least 5-10 minutes (I leave mine on for 20)
Rinse out DCT, ACVR to seal cuticleThat's the order I used yesterday (except I did a beer rinse instead of ACVR), and my hair is most extraordinarily happy right now (^(oo)^)v

cataphract
December 14th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I have a dumb question: What's DCT?

Sorry!

WaitingSoLong
December 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM
DCT= Deep Conditioning Treatment

Thanks Luxe! I dislike the idea of having to step into the shower twice, especially this time of year when I am freezing all the time. I will give it some thought, tho.

I did my DCT on my dry hair. Since I use heat with it (hot towels), it opens the cuticles to absorb the moisture. I do wet it slightly, because it is too gloopy with just the conditioner. I slather it in then spritz it with water until it is mostly damp, then cover with a hot, wet towel. I reheat the towel until an hour or more is up then I shower it out.

Today I tried something new:
I did a DCT with my BCB (Biolage Conditioning Balm) (which I have never done because the stuff is $$$). I showered it out then tried the baby shampoo 50/50 with coconut oil. I followed with Pantene conditioner (their new stuff which I have not been impressed with). I rinsed with very diluted ACV between the shampoo and conditioner, then again after the conditioner and HOLY WOW.

Even wet my hair was super soft and now that it dried it is uber soft and shiny and slippery!

Probably a one time deal. I had quite a bit of C.Oil in my hair from the past week. Nothing that ever works, works twice! It tamed my ends quite nicely.

I usually use the BCB as a leave in. I have not had luck with it as my only conditioner (it is cone free and I have to have cones). Baby shampoo has *ruined* my hair before so I was skeptical. I also added a tablespoon of epsom salts to the shampoo/oil mix (4 oz each). The concoction turned white! It looks like elmer's glue LOL. Very low lather (which I figured with all the CO) but I don't care about lather. Combed right through it after the shower! I am excited, I was about to give up and cut off a few inches because of the tangling issue!
Ah well, I am happy for today. If this works without the BCB DCT, it sure is a cheap way to keep my hair silky!

cataphract
December 14th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks, WaitingSoLong! :D

bluesnowflake
December 14th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Could a white vinegar or lemon rinse replace the ACVR? My hair is fairly light and the ACV brings out odd red tones that I don't want.

luxepiggy
December 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM
DCT= Deep Conditioning Treatment

Thanks Luxe! I dislike the idea of having to step into the shower twice, especially this time of year when I am freezing all the time. I will give it some thought, tho.

I did my DCT on my dry hair. Since I use heat with it (hot towels), it opens the cuticles to absorb the moisture. I do wet it slightly, because it is too gloopy with just the conditioner. I slather it in then spritz it with water until it is mostly damp, then cover with a hot, wet towel. I reheat the towel until an hour or more is up then I shower it out.

Today I tried something new:
I did a DCT with my BCB (Biolage Conditioning Balm) (which I have never done because the stuff is $$$). I showered it out then tried the baby shampoo 50/50 with coconut oil. I followed with Pantene conditioner (their new stuff which I have not been impressed with). I rinsed with very diluted ACV between the shampoo and conditioner, then again after the conditioner and HOLY WOW.

*snip*

I know what you mean about the showering twice! Even though I totally overheat my apartment, I just don't like it. Maybe I'll try your way next time. How do you keep the towels hot? I tried that once and I don't think it stayed warm for more than a minute (>(oo)<)`

PS - After extensive trials of about 5 different ones, I have concluded that the only Pantene conditioner worth purchasing from the new lineup is Color Preserve Shine. It comes the closest to the results I used to get from Ice Shine. It doesn't matter if your hair isn't colored - mine isn't and the conditioner still seems to work OK (^(oo)^)

Also, may I ask why the diluted ACV between shampoo and conditioner? Wouldn't that make the conditioner less effective when you apply it?

cataphract
December 14th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Could a white vinegar or lemon rinse replace the ACVR? My hair is fairly light and the ACV brings out odd red tones that I don't want.

I tried to find out with just a google search and came across this: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shampving.htm

Perhaps it is just preferred because it smells slightly different?

luxepiggy
December 14th, 2010, 04:23 PM

I rinse with beer (as do others; there's even a Beer for Hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55808&highlight=beer) thread!) - perhaps a pale pilsner would be suitable? (^(oo)^)

bluesnowflake
December 14th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I rinse with beer (as do others; there's even a Beer for Hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55808&highlight=beer) thread!) - perhaps a pale pilsner would be suitable? (^(oo)^)

I'm a long ways underage, but thanks for the suggestions!

WaitingSoLong
December 15th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Maybe I'll try your way next time. How do you keep the towels hot? I tried that once and I don't think it stayed warm for more than a minute (>(oo)<)`

Also, may I ask why the diluted ACV between shampoo and conditioner? Wouldn't that make the conditioner less effective when you apply it?

Luxe:
I microwave the towel for 1 minute. It is one of those twistie towels but not the microfiber kind (I hate micro-fiber) so it is not a big towel. I put my hair in a bun with the conditioner in it and then just loosely wrap the heated towel on top. You can also add a shower cap over that but I was too lazy yesterday. It helps keep the moisture and heat in.

And to the second question, I don't know! I was confused I guess. I was thinking I needed an ACV and then conditioner, but then after I did it, I rinsed again with ACV after the conditioner. LOL. It worked, tho.

I bought the Pantene Breakage to Strength for Medium-Thick hair. I do not have medium to thick hair but I couldn't find the Breakage to Strength for "fine" hair. I am so annoyed with Pantene! I have also tried their color treated hair shampoo (supposed to be protecting or something). I think my hair does NOT like protein but I cannot read those labels and tell what is what except cones and sulfates! Maybe the ACV between the poo and conditioner kept too many of the cones from sinking in? lol who knows.

I was talking to another LHC gal about maybe trying an organic mix, but if the baby shampoo and CO works, I will stick with that.

And I am ok with the gold/red tones that ACV may result. My ACV is so diluted anyway. I prefer the smell of ACV to white. :)

luxepiggy
December 15th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Luxe:
I microwave the towel for 1 minute. It is one of those twistie towels but not the microfiber kind (I hate micro-fiber) so it is not a big towel. I put my hair in a bun with the conditioner in it and then just loosely wrap the heated towel on top. You can also add a shower cap over that but I was too lazy yesterday. It helps keep the moisture and heat in.

And to the second question, I don't know! I was confused I guess. I was thinking I needed an ACV and then conditioner, but then after I did it, I rinsed again with ACV after the conditioner. LOL. It worked, tho.

I bought the Pantene Breakage to Strength for Medium-Thick hair. I do not have medium to thick hair but I couldn't find the Breakage to Strength for "fine" hair. I am so annoyed with Pantene! I have also tried their color treated hair shampoo (supposed to be protecting or something). I think my hair does NOT like protein but I cannot read those labels and tell what is what except cones and sulfates! Maybe the ACV between the poo and conditioner kept too many of the cones from sinking in? lol who knows.

I was talking to another LHC gal about maybe trying an organic mix, but if the baby shampoo and CO works, I will stick with that.

And I am ok with the gold/red tones that ACV may result. My ACV is so diluted anyway. I prefer the smell of ACV to white. :)

I, too, am annoyed with Pantene. I don't know which "consumers" they were allegedly listening to when they did their reformulation, because every consumer I know who used to love Pantene hates it now, including me. By the way, the Fine Hair version you were looking for has a different name, which is probably why you didn't see it; that one is called "Fragile to Strong" for some idiotic reason . . . . because, you know, fragility and breakage are so incredibly different :rolleyes:

I do think you'll get better results if the ACVR is the last thing in the order of operations though. Everything I've read seems to indicate that the purpose of the ACVR (or any acidic rinse) is to smooth down and contract the cuticle, sort of like doing a final cold water rinse, but more effective.

WaitingSoLong
December 16th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I thought the ACVR was to get out hard water build up? Ok, so I didn't realize it sealed down the shaft of the hair. Good to know! Thanks.

Bluegrass Babe
December 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM

Either will work fine. It is just a matter of personal preference (what smell you can tolerate, highlight enhancing, silver brightening, or adding red tones).

You can also use citric acid powder mixed in distilled water if you want no smell at all. It can be purchased at most health food stores. (cheap, too!)

Here is a thread on lemon rinses. (It's a shame not to see her before and after pics - the difference was amazing!)

By the way, the search engine can't use 3-letter words unless you put * at the end - oil* or mix*. I don't remember who told me that trick but it works!

patienceneeded
December 20th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Okay, I'm new here. I've got the acronyms mostly figured out, but I'm trying to figure out exactly why one would put ACV on your hair? What does it do? Also, doesn't it smell? I use it to clean the drains in the kitchen...

I had never purposfully put oil on my hair before joining LHC, and I do now, so I'm curious about the ACV's other uses! Thanks!

WaitingSoLong
December 21st, 2010, 12:41 PM
Patience, you can read this thread through, there are some uses for ACV already listed here.
:O)