PDA

View Full Version : Tyra show hair cut

Danaus plexippu
December 14th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I just ran across this...I thought it would garner some good discussion (I haven't seen the link posted here before). Warning...very long hair is cut! Not for the faint of heart.

< link removed - please remember that haircutting videos (except actual styling illustrations) are not allowed per the guidelines >

Maverick494
December 14th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Well, I have to say that though usually I´m like `NOOOOOO DON´T DO IT!!!` this time I actually thought her long hair looked bad on her. She never cut it in her life and it shows. You can see that at midback it thins dramatically. It´s very frizzy and she probably had dead ends all the way to her feet.

So this vid is proof for me that it is NOT about length, but about the health of the hair. I love superlong hair, but not like how she had it.

I´m not sure I like the bob on her either, but ofcourse they´re going to do something drastic with someone like her. But After was defenitely better than before in my opinion. Though I would have cut her hair to BSL or maybe even APL.

UltraBella
December 14th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I honestly have to say, I personally did not care for her hair being so long. She looked so old ! Her hair was not the only factor in that though. No makeup, frumpy dress...... it was all working against her.
On the other hand, I don't know why they had to cut it SO short. I think she looked better afterwards, but not because of the haircut. I love the hair color and the makeup, she looks beautiful. And the clothes are super cute. But the hair is just way too short for me.

kabelaced
December 14th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Augh! Why always in a bob!

She has a pretty face, yes, and it seems like she wore no make up before they did the "makeover." I wish they would have cut further down the line so it wasn't so drastic. The new clothes and make up AND hair AND getting married...I can see that being too much for that poor girl.

A security blanket maybe, but small amounts of trimming were okay - she said that she trimmed her own bangs. So why not take off quite so much and still allow her a unique hairstyle that doesn't traumatize the idea of haircuts?

Teaching her make up was what made her face look prettier, in my opinion; not that much hair needed to be cut off. Now she looks like a totally different person. Changing things up gradually is nice, but leaving so many parts of her "in the past" effectively seems like they're all trying to make her feel ashamed for who she used to be (and still is)!

Just my :twocents:.

OrangeStripe
December 14th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Is it just me or did it look like she hadn't had her hair brushed beore going out there?

Maybe she does look a bit better with shorter hair, but it's so hard to tell because EVERYTHING about her has changed.

I found the bit where Tyra says "you want to look like how you really are" very annoying- she already looks like herself, and makeup doesn't make you look any more like yourself.

Also Locks of Love. I'm glad we don't have a big thing like that in the UK.

ktani
December 14th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I agree about the length.

I do not think that the long hair itself made her look old. She has a young and beautiful face. She was not wearing her hair in any flattering way and it looked neglected at the ends.

I think that she would have looked just as beautiful with a long hair style that had some shape to it.

Danaus plexippu
December 14th, 2010, 08:00 AM
My thinking was they went along way to make her look extra frumpy for the shock value. I'm sure she probably would wear it up most of the time. I think she was very brave to let them have free reign, and of course the producers would have them go to extremes (at least they didn't give her a pixie). She has beautiful cheek bones and the make-up really made her eyes pop. She did look lovely. I hope she was able to really have a healthy attitude about it and not have a mental break-down. She did say her long hair was about security. I wonder if she'll grow it back out?

LaurelSpring
December 14th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I think they did make her extra frumpy. If they had her hair in an awesome updo with some great sticks, makeup and a nice suit it would have been a totally different story. The show should have been entitled "Great styles for awesome long hair" and had a totally different ending. These shows :tbear:

Loreley
December 14th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I wouldn't have cut it that short. I think waist or hip length would look really nice on her. I don't like bob cuts at all. She looked very pretty in the new clothes and with the make-up, though.

OR Cowgirl
December 14th, 2010, 08:06 AM
For myself, I'd have to wonder if I could maintain that style on my own. I'm fairly inept with blowdryers and straightening irons, etc.

I think they could have done a much more manageable style by leaving it anywhere between waist and APL, still colored, maybe some well placed layers. Very cute girl, she really just needed some makeup and more age appropriate clothes!

Merlin
December 14th, 2010, 08:11 AM
This video has been knocking around for ages

The fact that she's been dressed in an outfit which looks as though it's been remaindered at War on Want doesn't help - also under tv lighting a lot of people will look pale and washed out without good makeup. If you look at the after she appears to be wearing a lot more makeup.

I can't tell for sure, but the way her cheekbones are washed out and shiney in the 'before' makes it look as though she's being front lit which tends to lose a lot of the modelling, and there doesn't look as though there is much lighting to bring up the hair colours either.

Of course I'm not saying that they're trying to make her look old, but I don't think that in the before sequence they've done all they can to make her look as young and pretty as they might have done.

LissaJane
December 14th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Whilst I agree with what people above me have said about the hair not looking good because it had never been cut, and the dead ends and the not being so greatly cared for etc... I hate it when shows take the "before" picture with the nastiest clothes, no make up, no effort at all made for a fair comparison and probably told not to smile, at that.
Even with that haircut, you give that girl the same clothes, lack of make up and facial expression and she'll still look older than she is.

Obviously it's an emphasis technique, but it's irritating.

amaiaisabella
December 14th, 2010, 08:14 AM
This video has been posted before, there have been some pretty heated discussions on it, FYI :flower:

As for me, I liked the length where they cut off the ponytail at. I think it was around APL? The style was cute but would have been too much of a shock change for me. She did look a bit wide-eyed at the end like it still hadn't hit her.

EmiliaF
December 14th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I also think that the really long hair did not look great because it was so damaged, but I absolutely hate how Tyra said over and over how terrible and old she looks with it... It might be true, but do they always have to crush people like that?!
And what about the the hair-guy who said that hair color should be used like make-up...
Yes, hair should be shiny and healthy, but not because of some hair-color... they should have just cut the hair to waist-length and showed her some make-up tricks and bought new clothes.

I once cut my hair from waist-length to bob and felt like I had lost part of my personality, because I am just not a short-hair-kind-of-person. I never felt like myself when my hair was that short.

So I really think that at some point she will really regret it. She was probably a little pushed into making a change that extreme. :rolleyes:

spidermom
December 14th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I think there's a policy here against posting haircut links.

Regarding the woman on Tyra: she was ready for a change. She got one. Period.

civetta
December 14th, 2010, 08:23 AM
What a crime. She did not looK old, she looKed shy and boring but special. Now she looKs liKe anyone else and even more boring. These people are criminals...

lapushka
December 14th, 2010, 08:30 AM
First of all, the title. "Age-defying makeovers". Yeah. Right. Ooowkaaay... :rolleyes: I guessed her age to be between 20 / 30, and I wasn't far off, though a little shocked because I thought she'd be closer to 30. But 40? I mean... Are they blind?

The cut was nicely done, but it didn't have to be that drastic. A bob *is* good if you want to grow it back out. I was surprised they didn't cut it to a pixie. She looked as if she didn't really want to have it cut and that was odd, even creepy, to watch! :(

BellCat
December 14th, 2010, 08:45 AM
omg you think thats bad, another girl with beautiful hip length hair getting it chopped off on the tyra banks show :(:(:(

< link removed - please remember that haircutting videos (except actual styling illustrations) are not allowed per the guidelines >

Dragon
December 14th, 2010, 08:49 AM
It’s a shame they cut it but here new cut does look ok.

enfys
December 14th, 2010, 09:08 AM
She either chose to be on the show or allowed herself to be bullied into it. Either way, she got a makeover on a makeover show.

If someone wants full control then there are salons everywhere they can go to.

I've seen the video before.

dropinthebucket
December 14th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I agree, this is the formula for all of these shows. They hold the "makeover subject" up to a cookie cutter standard, shame them for not conforming to this standard before, bring in "experts" to create a veneer of authority, and then, with specific camera work, lovingly detail the approving gaze of society as represented by the raptures of friends and family when they see the transformation, raptures the off-screen viewer is expected to share. What Not to Wear does this, too, and several others. It's painful to see how WNTW rips the participants' clothes away from them, in some kind of symbolic undressing, when they are forced to throw out all their clothes -- it's invasive and traumatic.

NOT having healthy long hair is a completely different issue than what they were interested in doing with this show, and as other LHCers have mentioned, she could have had it cut to where it was healthy. And then of course, there has to be make up and new clothes! why do they want to convince us we have to consume those products (which quite frankly, are killing our planet and in some cases, exploit sweat shop labour, all in the name of "fashion" and "trend")? One answer: this is called "beautiful" because this is what makes companies money. These shows are only less extreme versions of Extreme Makeover and The Swan - the procedures may seem more drastic in the latter, but they are all on the same continuum of a North American standard of personal beauty that has largely been created by corporations. Even Dove's Real Beauty campaign has been somewhat controversial. (where's that 2-cents icon? :) )

mellie89
December 14th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I'm pretty sure I know the video that is being referenced. She was a 23-year-old girl with ankle length hair, and the audience thought she was 40, right? She girl said that she wanted a makeover and a new look before she got married. Well, she got it. :shrug:

I don't think that they had to cut that much off to make her look younger, but it's TV... of course they're going to make her look extra frumpy before the makeover and chop off as much as possible. I'm sure she knew what she was signing up for. If she wanted more control, she would have gone to a salon.

littlenvy
December 14th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't have cut it that short. I think waist or hip length would look really nice on her. I don't like bob cuts at all. She looked very pretty in the new clothes and with the make-up, though.
I totally agree! :) Her hair wasn't totally damaged for it to be cut that short.

Personally, I think Tyra has something agains women and their long hair. I also watched other clips from her other shows where she cut girls hair ... and it was HORRIBLE to watch. Totally killed their hair.
I get the fact that long to short makes a dramatic change, but you don't have to butcher it all off. :shrug:

Elenna
December 14th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I can't bring myself to watch those kind of videos.

Another problem with make overs, particulary that drastic is that the person gets a totally new look with hair styling, make up and clothes. But what about afterwards, that lady will not have the time, money, resources, or know-how to keep her new appearance up. So in a way IMO, she'd be worse off because they took her identity away from her and left her with an illusion made with "smoke & mirrors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_and_mirrors)."

littlenvy
December 14th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I just wanted to add that since she wanted the make over before she got married, they could have tried cutting it to a healthy waist and then tried some beautiful updos. It still would have looked dramatic ... but NICE. And much more helpful in her situation.
There is not much she can do for a wedding with a bob.

Arya
December 14th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
MAKE/
/SUICIDE/
/OVER!!