PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo Allergy

mediumhair
December 14th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I used pert shampoo for the first time. It reeks like chemicals. It was recommended to me for oil hair. Anyways, I got really itchy puffy eyes from one use. I washed my eyes out with cold water. Is there anything else I can do to stop the tingling in my eyes?

Anje
December 14th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Take some Benedryl (diphenhydramine). That'll help the allergic symptoms, though it'll probably make you sleepy.

No more Pert.

Babyfine
December 14th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Yes I second the Benedryl. I used Pert once many years ago when Ispent the night at a relatives house and forgot to bring my own shampoo. Made my hair feel like straw, took a long time to get back to normal. (But I didn't have the LHC knowledge I have now.)

Artsy
December 14th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I have just posted in the offtopic yesterday about a crazy reaction to a conditioner. My symptoms went away in about 3 hours but I made sure I rinsed it out very very well. With just water and nothing else in order not to cause more problems.
If you are trying to combat oily roots you might try just very basic clear shampoo. This helped me to see the difference thanks to ktani's oil shampoo thread.
Also Co wash was effective for my oily hair. I still wash every other day if I can stand it, but at least not twice a day.
Allergies from hair products are serious because your throat may get swollen, be very careful.
Good luck

little_cherry
December 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM
:O Pert was what caused all my scalp problems! I highly recommend using dry shampoos (equal blend of corn starch and cocoa powder and finding a sulfate free shampoo after you've healed. I second the benadryl.

My hair used to be very oily (it would look like an oil slick only hours after I washed). The thing that helped me and may help you is to slowly wean off sulfates. At first, I moved onto a sulfate free shampoo with conditioner, then I stretched out my washes to twice a week and used a dry shampoo (cocoa powder with corn starch), then I went entirely to COing. COing will give your hair the moisture an keeps the greasies away. It may sound strange, but Conditioner 'dilutes' the oils and removes the effectively.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon....and stay away form that pert. It's evil.