PDA

View Full Version : Hair growth Vitamins and breakouts :(

MajorasMask
December 13th, 2010, 11:37 PM
So, last tuesday I bought maxi hair skin and nails pill, hoping that it would speed me along to my goal of waist. It has been about one week now of daily usage. I used to have extremely severe acne, and have cleared up in the last year... Which is why I'm DEVASTATED that I am breaking out everywhere. All over the face, my neck now, and even my chest area. I really don't want to waste $20 and stop taking it because I realllllly want waist hair.. But not with acne! Do you think it's a temporary thing, an initial breakout? Will the vitamins even really help my growth in the first place? I should note: I am an extremely small framed 17yr 5'1 girl, so instead of taking two pills I only take one :0

Aaaaand if any of you ladies (or gentlemen) have any remedies/advice/tips that would help me with my breakout meltdown I would *definitely* appreciate it and try! Thanks!

Sundial
December 13th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Just wondering: check if there is Biotin in the list. Biotin supposedly causes acne breakouts in some individuals. You can do a search on Biotin for more information

ETA: I just checked online :P If the "maxi hair kin and nails pill" you are referring to is the Country Life Maxi-Hair, then there is 2000mcg of Biotin per serving size of 2 tablets

MajorasMask
December 13th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Yes, it contains biotin... But aren't eggs high in biotin? I eat eggs on a regular basis, so that would be strange if I was reacting to the biotin. I guess it could be just too big of a dose for me. Hm.
Oh- sorry for the duplicate thread! My comp is very challenged lol.

Just wondering: check if there is Biotin in the list. Biotin supposedly causes acne breakouts in some individuals. You can do a search on Biotin for more information

ETA: I just checked online :P If the "maxi hair kin and nails pill" you are referring to is the Country Life Maxi-Hair, then there is 2000mcg of Biotin per serving size of 2 tablets

Yeah thats the name. It is 2 pills, but I am only taking one a day at the moment.

Igor
December 14th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Yes, it contains biotin... But aren't eggs high in biotin? I eat eggs on a regular basis, so that would be strange if I was reacting to the biotin. I guess it could be just too big of a dose for me. Hm.
Oh- sorry for the duplicate thread! My comp is very challenged lol.
One large egg contains about 20 mcg of biotin, which alone is 9% of your recommended daily allowance of biotin. The recommended daily allowance of biotin is 225 mcg and is found in very common food groups such as: Nuts, bananas, carrots, milk products, oatmeal and so on. To put it in short, it is actually difficult to avoid biotin in your diet. You get enough through your diet already unless you have some truly strange food habits.

It is not strange at all you react to biotin in the pills. There is a huge difference between 9% of your RDA of biotin in one egg and 444% from one single pill.

Your body showed you very clearly that these vitamins are not good for you. You can now choose to work hard to keep the outbreaks down with creams and treatments, or you can listen to it.

Peter
December 14th, 2010, 12:18 AM
One large egg contains about 20 mcg of biotin, which alone is 9% of your recommended daily allowance of biotin. The recommended daily allowance of biotin is 225 mcg and is found in very common food groups such as: Nuts, bananas, carrots, milk products, oatmeal and so on. To put it in short, it is actually difficult to avoid biotin in your diet. You get enough through your diet already unless you have some truly strange food habits.

It is not strange at all you react to biotin in the pills. There is a huge difference between 9% of your RDA of biotin in one egg and 444% from one single pill.

Your body showed you very clearly that these vitamins are not good for you. You can now choose to work hard to keep the outbreaks down with creams and treatments, or you can listen to it.
Perfect post. Seconded!

Hotrox
December 14th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I also break out from any fish, evening primrose oil or flaxseed oil supplements and from Zinc. I just daren't even try biotin.

I would just put it down to a learning process and step away form these vitamin pills.

Focus on trying to eat a balanced and nutritious diet, this will help your hair and skin

MajorasMask
December 14th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Thank you guys, I think I will do one more week and it it gets any worse... I will definitely put it down. Learning experience yes.... Lol an expensive one! :0

supermanok03
December 14th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I know exactly how you feel! I always buy shampoo or conditioner or fancy hair products hoping that my hair will like them, then I get really disappointed when my hair hates them and I've wasted all that money.
I've also been taking biotin, but in capsule form by itself (not as a multi) and I think it's been making me break out too. I've been taking it for months now, and the breakouts aren't TERRIBLE, but I'm 22 now and still have consistent breakouts. So I think I'll take a break from the biotin too and see how my skin feels!

Igor
December 14th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Well, you could try not taking them for the weeks it will take for your skin to heal and return to normal and then cut the individual pills in quarters (If possible) and try that dose if you are annoyed at having wasted your money completely

Thank you guys, I think I will do one more week and it it gets any worse... I will definitely put it down. Learning experience yes.... Lol an expensive one! :0

Lamb
December 14th, 2010, 09:12 AM

Why wait a week?? :confused: Look, I used to have acne. It was BAD. It took years to clear up, and I didn't take any sort of snake oil that would have made it worse.
Hair grows by itself, you don't need multi-maxi-mega vitamins for it. It is unlikely that any vitamin would give you waist-length hair in the same time it would take for your acne to clear up again.

MClass
December 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I used to have reallllly bad acne and I was on medications for it. I am now on Bargello's regime and because I slowly increased my dosages, my break outs are very rare. I have been having a slight increase in break outs, but I am going to wait it out since I did another increase 6 weeks ago.

However I would recommend doing a honey mask, break up some aspirin and leave on your face about 15 minutes... its been helpful for me.

Also the Country Life pills are way cheaper on amazon and swansonvitamins.com :)

Igor
December 14th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I am now on Bargello's regime and because I slowly increased my dosages, my break outs are very rare. I have been having a slight increase in break outs, but I am going to wait it out since I did another increase 6 weeks ago.

If you have to “build a tolerance” your vitamin regime is too hard on your body.

Vitamins should be something your body needs and uses, and most of all wants. Not something you need to work into to keep the body’s pesky defence mechanism and reactions down.

Nothing you eat or take is for free. It comes at a price and your body is very clearly showing you how it affects it. Its dangerous to ignore these signs.

MClass
December 14th, 2010, 11:17 AM
If you have to “build a tolerance” your vitamin regime is too hard on your body.

Vitamins should be something your body needs and uses, and most of all wants. Not something you need to work into to keep the body’s pesky defence mechanism and reactions down.

Nothing you eat or take is for free. It comes at a price and your body is very clearly showing you how it affects it. Its dangerous to ignore these signs.

even with biotin? due to my sensitive skin I read it was best to increase this dosage over time

Kristin
December 14th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I was taking 5,500 mcg. of Biotin daily for about a month and nearly destroyed my skin (which had been near-perfect my whole life). About 3 weeks ago, I cut back to only the amount in my hair vitamins (still 167% DV) and my skin is starting to improve again. I really don't think that amount of anything is good for our bodies. Your hair will continue to grow without all that stuff.

And honestly, you can grow more hair; your skin will be on your face and body for the rest of your life.

maus
December 14th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I have read that MSM helps with the break out when using Biotin... Just a thought, maybe worth investigating. Supposed to help with a bunch of other stuff, too (like my arthritis).

Hylia
December 14th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Thats weird because I started taking biotin like a month ago or a bit before that and it seems like I have more random pimples then before. I thought it was because of dairy but I never thought about the biotin. Its possible, it seems to me like I had more then before.

Peter
December 14th, 2010, 02:41 PM
even with biotin? due to my sensitive skin I read it was best to increase this dosage over time
Yes, with just about anything. Taking way more biotin than your body needs will not only do nothing for your hair growth but may have negative effects, like the skin problems that people have been mentioning in this thread. The extra biotin won't just disappear... don't forget that your body has to deal with whatever you put into it.

imaplacebo
December 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM
i bought a european green clay powder to make a mask for my face and used it once, it's already helping :)