PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use bobby pins?

shikara
December 13th, 2010, 08:06 PM
After four years of braiding, I am oh so ready for updos. At first, the bobby pins tugged at a few hairs here and there and drove me around the bend and up the hill!! Now I find if I pin a small 'cord' of hair beside the bun, and attach it to the body of the bun rather than to or near the scalp, it seems to sit very nicely! Naturally, when removing the pins I am every so gentle. Haven't been able to locate hairsticks in my city yet, but think they may also tug hairs. Would love to hear experiences of securing updos!

nytquill
December 13th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I used bobby pins a lot when I first started doing buns and such last year. I personally don't like them very much but that doesn't mean they're "bad" or anything.

I found them to pull/break the hair a lot, or not hold my hair up well, or fall out, or get bent open so they didn't work very well. No matter how many tutorials I read about how to use them I was always either suffering through them, or worried about them/checking on them, or both!

Then back in the spring I went and bought a pair of chopsticks, cut them down to size, used a pencil sharpener to shape the end, and made myself a makeshift hairstick. It didn't look terribly elegant but oh my goodness, so secure and SO comfortable! And so much more gentle on my hair. Granted if you cross two sticks in an X it can be tricky and a bit pinchy, but parallel sticks work great for most buns that need 2 sticks, and there are a lot of buns that work well with 1 stick so you don't have to worry about it.

I've also recently bought my first hair fork, it's only a little 2-pronged one but I LOVE it! Very secure and comfortable too.

Personally I only use bobby pins now occasionally to pin the ends of a bun that tends to unravel otherwise, like a Chinese bun. I do use clippies though to tuck up the hair behind my ears. I dunno how damaging that is relative to bobby pins but I find them a lot easier to deal with so I use them.

Shellby
December 13th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I haven't used bobby pins in a lonnnng time. I love my hair sticks. Now I have 2 wonderful hair forks. Both options can hold my updos very securely. I have some decorative bobby pins that just go in for decoration. Have you tried some sticks?

shikara
December 13th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Will have to check more stores in the city for sticks - having trouble finding them. I even checked a store selling Chinese items! They had barrettes, but no sticks! The search goes on - no quitter am I:eyebrows:

erika_d
December 13th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I (unfortunately) wear them a lot because my bangs are growing out and they're at that impossible length where they're too long to leave down and don't tuck behind your ear yet. :justy:

So I often pin mine up somehow...I do notice they can pull out a hair here and there. :(

LaurelSpring
December 13th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I quit using bobby pins because they always pull my hair. I like my Good Days Hair pins the most for securing updos. They are cheap and readily available at Walmart, drug stores or online. I also use clippies to hold updos. Another cheap and easy way to get a hair fork is knitting needles. Many members here get them and bend them in the middle and use them as hair forks. I have done this also. I have also used chop sticks to make hair sticks. I have also purchased some really cheap decent ones on ebay.

redwoman
December 13th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I don't use bobby pins because my hair is blissfully all one length now, except for my bangs which never get pinned anyway. I use hairsticks for my updo's and like LaurelSpring said I use a bent knitting needle as a fork. Claire's sometimes has hairsticks. They are usually plastic but they are serviceable. I think in the useful links section of this website they have hair toy links where you can find sticks of all different prices. I can't remember where but I know I saw it. Maybe someone else with a better memory than mine can direct you.

Alcenaia
December 13th, 2010, 09:11 PM
When I crown braid, I use bobby pins to secure the "extra" braiding left over after I go all the way around my head. I also use them to secure Heidi braids and French twists, although I'd like to find myself a nice, strong, wide French comb for twists.

I am ruthless about bobby pin quality--if the rubber on the tips is fraying, I chuck the pin. Ratty tips are what causes breakage for me.

I have several plastic hairsticks from Claire's. I'll second that they're perfectly serviceable, and add that their plastic ones won't warp or discolor in damp hair.

lundmir
December 13th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Bobby pins hate my hair, so I try not to use them often. They always pull when I have to take them out.

supermanok03
December 13th, 2010, 09:16 PM
If I have left my hair down for the day at work, I end up using a bobby pin or two to pin my face framing layers to the side to prevent them from falling into my face. However they do tug at hair when I remove them!
To secure my buns, I like the Goody spin pins (I find them at Claire's Accessories), my baerreis finny, or my new ficcare! My comfy go-tos are a pair of really cheap plastic hairsticks I found at Claire's for a couple dollars. Regular chopsticks are way too long for my head.
I find that the one hairstick is enough to hold up a bun and doesn't pull at my scalp at all! I find that the thicker the fork/stick, the more it pulls, so a thin stick works great!

shockinglength
December 13th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I use bobby pins once every week or two!

eezepeeze
December 13th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I use old fashioned hair pins--also called u-shaped pins or Amish hair pins--the most for updos, followed by GoodHairDays hair pins, then bobby pins. I use the first two more for structure and strength of an updo and bobby pins more for finishing touches or for bumping up my "bangs" in front or smoothing down an errant piece of hair. I bought a box of about 1000 (or more) bobby pins from Sally's so that when I bend them, stretch them, etc. I have a billion more to choose from. I go through a lot of pins in general, in addition to hair ties. I should buy stock, really.

Shell
December 13th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Linked to my sig is an article on how to use hairpins and hairsticks. The same principles would apply to bobby pins. Take a look and see if this technique improves on the pulling problems. Best of luck. :)

shikara
December 13th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Shell, many thanks for your link. I'd hug you if you were here! I can't believe I didn't know the proper way to use something as seemingly simple as a hairpin or bobby pin. (blushing) In the beginning, I had just been pushing them into the bun. Silly me.... Well, I know something I didn't when I woke up this morning, and that is always a good thing!!!

cataphract
December 13th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I use bobby pins most days. I don't often get pulling, though fairly frequently my hair pulls the bobby pin right out of shape lol.

I find that when they do pull a little I can just reposition it at a slightly different angle and catch a few more hairs and it tends to alleviate it.

Tia2010
December 14th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Right now , never. But I don't do updo's yet ( except a hair clip) so I haven't had the need. That may change when I start learning updo's.

meggykins
December 14th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I use bobby pins all the time. I notice that certain brands of bobby pins will pull more than others, but generally i never have the problem of them breaking or damaging my hair.

Masara
December 14th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I never use bobby pins. I use hair pins (Amish pins) a lot plus loads of forks and sicks (not all at the same time!) but bobby pins only irritate me. I have a pack of them hanging around somewhere for when I put my duaghter's hair in a crown braid, but even on her, I'm happier using hairpins or little claw clips.

Maybe it's because I've got a small head, but they always seem to be too long so they stick out instead of laying flat along my head. I always manage to get hair caught in them and however careful I am when putting them in, they slide out over the day. I expect any updos or accessories to stay put all day; when I put a hair pin in, it stays there.

I'm always impressed with people here who can hold a bun with bobby pins. I certainly can't. But maybe it's because they were never something I thought about using for anything other than holding whispies in place. My mum has the kind of hair that eats bobby pins, so when she did my hair as a child, She never bothered to use them.

Loreley
December 14th, 2010, 01:16 AM
I don't use bobby pins. They never hold my bun. I prefer big amish pins, they work well. Although, hairsticks and forks are the best. :)

milagro
December 14th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Sorry I'm a bit lost with the term :) If you mean hair grips as bobby pins I don't use them to fix a bun. Hair pins (those U-shaped things) are way better for me, they don't pull hair and don't mess when rearranging.
Bobby pins aka grips are great for clipping away stray hairs and bangs though.

keepmyhair
December 14th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I have been using bobby pins often because all my hair does not get into a ponytail yet.

I too found them to be a bit tight, and they would pull out a couple hair at times.

I used a trick which may help others. I pulled the pin apart just enough so that both the sticks of the pin no longer touch each other, but rather have about 1 mm between them. This way they are much easier to insert in the hair and also do not pull hair as much. Some people may find that they drop of easily. The straight ones do, but the ones which are just slightly curved do not drop of so easily, even after doing the little trick to make them loose.

Amelia
December 14th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Since I got my Amish pins I very rarely get the old bobby pins out.

FullMoonTrim
December 14th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I quit using bobby pins because they always pull my hair. I like my Good Days Hair pins the most for securing updos. They are cheap and readily available at Walmart, drug stores or online. I also use clippies to hold updos. Another cheap and easy way to get a hair fork is knitting needles. Many members here get them and bend them in the middle and use them as hair forks. I have done this also. I have also used chop sticks to make hair sticks. I have also purchased some really cheap decent ones on ebay.
Is this the one you buy ? http://www.goodhairdays.com/magic-grip-files/40101-new%20pack.JPG[/U][/B] . I can't figure out how to use bobby pins and I'm looking for an alternative!

may1em
December 14th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Not overly often. Sometimes to clip my bangs back, or to secure a loose bit near an updo. I also like the decorated, jeweled ones as something extra next to my face.

jenjen10
December 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I use bobby pins all of the time since I don't have many hair toys yet to secure my hair... also I am at an "in between" phase where my hair tends to have the ends sticking out of buns.

My BF and I joke that our carpet must be the perfect "fertilizer" for bobby pins as at any given moment you can probably find 10 - 20 on any floor of any room in our house... I must shed them throughout the day! :p