PDA

View Full Version : which way is faster for hair growth?

sayshell
December 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I want waist length hair, and right now I am focused on quantity not quality. Which way is faster to grow, never trim it and just let nature do the work, or trimming split and damaged hair? Please speak based off personal experience only. (don't copy paste some random article)

What I am really wondering, is the rate at which split hair breaks off larger than the rate at which it grows?

Or is my hair just at terminal length? It has been stuck at an inch above elbow length for a year. (it has grown maybe a cm) Right now I don't cut off split ends and just try to be as gentle with my hair as possible. Is their any actual way of verifying whether hair has stopped growing, stalled, or is growing way slower.

joiekimochi
December 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM
From January 2008 to October 2009 I let my APL hair grow to TBL with only 3 trims in between, but due to chemical and mechanical damage (I didn't know about LHC then) I had to cut back to BSL and start over. Maybe if I had known LHC I wouldn't have to do the chop; I could've just slowly pampered my fried strands and regularly trimmed the damage off, maintaining at TBL, instead of now desperately measuring my hair every day and throwing live sacrifices for the hair gods. On the other hand, I have really nice waist-length hair now.

sayshell
December 13th, 2010, 06:57 PM
From January 2008 to October 2009 I let my APL hair grow to TBL with only 3 trims in between, but due to chemical and mechanical damage (I didn't know about LHC then) I had to cut back to BSL and start over. Maybe if I had known LHC I wouldn't have to do the chop; I could've just slowly pampered my fried strands and regularly trimmed the damage off, maintaining at TBL, instead of now desperately measuring my hair every day and throwing live sacrifices for the hair gods. On the other hand, I have really nice waist-length hair now.

but if you never cut it would it have reached their faster? remember im after quantity not quality

Madora
December 13th, 2010, 06:57 PM
If the split ends aren't addressed, they keep splitting up the strand, effectively ruining it.

Best to trim every 4/5 months to keep splits under control.

How you brush/comb, also can effect the quality of your hair.

Personally, I always trimmed when it needed it. No use growing to any length, only to have to cut back because the length looks poorly!

Rivanariko
December 13th, 2010, 07:06 PM
My hair was stalled at BSL for years before I discovered LHC. For me, regular microtrims definitely have helped the growth. The ends get so thin that they seem to disappear and they tangle a lot easier, which means more mechanical damage.

Remember, trims don't have to be several inches. I trim approximately every 3 months or so (when my hair feels like it needs it), but I only trim about 1/4" at a time, sometimes less. I also S&D regularly, which is very helpful in keeping it from getting more tangly and splitting up the shaft.

Really though, it all depends on your individual hair. There are people here who haven't trimmed for years, and there are those of us for whom regular trims are an important part of our routine. You have to figure out what will work best for you.

sayshell
December 13th, 2010, 07:07 PM
everyone keeps not answering my questions...

ETA:
o nm you posted that right after i said that thanks. I will try microtrimming then.

torrilin
December 13th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Splits can and do travel up the hair shaft. On my fine hair, this can grow into a horrid mess that means I have to chop off 3-4 inches. For someone with stronger hair, this won't be as big a factor.

Careful handling means I can trim every 6-9 months tho, and it only needs to be a half inch or so of trimming. When I started stretching trims, I could only stretch things out every 3 months or so. That was nearly 15 years ago :). As I've gotten older, I've gotten better about mechanical damage. I know going a year or more is theoretically possible, so maybe someday.

Lune d'Loup
December 13th, 2010, 07:35 PM
When i was growing my hair from shoulder to waist, it stalled for about 9 months at BSL. later i realized the breakage was causing this since i had not trimmed or cut since i started growing from shoulder. i believe you should trim the ends at least once a year unless very damaged. and remove the damage as soon as possible so it will not go up the shaft. once i started trimming once every 6 months it grew fast. but since my hair is fine and tangles easily i have to keep it in a braid or bun to keep damage away and even then, the damage was done while sleeping or wearing coats (rubbing damage) so i kept the braid bunned during the day and the damage was lessened.

i never trimmed more than 1 inch every time i trimmed unless there was damage. i suggest trimming once every 6 months just 1 inch, take extreme care of your hair and treat it with delicate care. at least for me, it has worked to trim once every 6 months, but a tiny trim helped to let my hair grow better since i was usually taking the splits off, they didn't go up the shaft to cause more damage.

HTH. happy growing.

1nuitblanche
December 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I think that trims are important. If I leave my hair more than 6 months or so without trimming, I don't seem to gain as much length as quickly I think because the ends get too fragile by then. So, once every 2-6 months, I usually trim about 1" off and it always seems to come back fast.

In March, I cut from past hip to BSL and have been at waist again since November with 1 trim in between. I only trimmed once in that time.

The last time I grew from BSL to waist, it was the first time I went much past BSL and the length was thinner (probably because I was actually growing out from a pixie, so many hairs had stopped their cycle at a shorter length). This meant that it was more delicate and that I trimmed more often because I don't like scraggly ends. Therefore, it took longer.

Jenn of Pence
December 13th, 2010, 07:50 PM
My hair is moderately damaged from some severe heat styling a year ago. Granted, I got two inches chopped off because it was so bad (this was before I found LHC, actually the reason I ended up here), so I can't speak for growing out the absolute worst damage. But what I have is indeed still damaged. However, I have gained a stead 1/2 inch each month without a trim since this April (so, eight months now). It still splits and has broken ends, but I S&D some, though I could do more. My hair is thick, so even if I do get some breakage or snip some off with S&D, my hemline and thus my overall average length hasn't suffered; this might vary with thinner hair. So, for me at least, my moderately damaged hair has gained length (that is, growing plus no noticeable loss of length due to splitting or breaking) with no trims.

1nuitblanche
December 13th, 2010, 07:53 PM
So, basically, to sum up what I just tried to say, I think that you're better off doing some trims and keeping your hair at least somewhat healthy and protected. For me, once my hair starts feeling damaged, it stalls and once I trim, I always get that length I trimmed off back much faster than my hair was growing when it was damaged.

Angeletti
December 13th, 2010, 08:12 PM
It depends on whether your hair breaks off easily and how you take care of it. I haven't cut my hair in three years and it seems to work for me because I baby it and it doesn't break off, so if your hair is like that then I would say just let it grow naturally if your looking to get length as quickly as possible without worrying about a thinner hemline. If your hair breaks off easily and you don't baby it then I would recommend doing trims every now and then to help prevent breakage.

bumblebums
December 13th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I want waist length hair, and right now I am focused on quantity not quality. Which way is faster to grow, never trim it and just let nature do the work, or trimming split and damaged hair? Please speak based off personal experience only. (don't copy paste some random article)

No problem. In my personal experience, not trimming at all is faster. But then I don't allow my hair to get damaged, so it may or may not be useful advice to you.

What I am really wondering, is the rate at which split hair breaks off larger than the rate at which it grows?

That depends on what is causing your hair to split and break off. I have certainly had hair split and break so rapidly that it got shorter in the course of a few weeks. I ironed it and it was dyed, and by the time I realized what was happening, I had a lot of breakage. On the other hand, now, my ends are essentially virgin, and there is no breakage at all. The hair grows. So there is no way of answering your question without knowing why your hair is getting damaged.

Or is my hair just at terminal length? It has been stuck at an inch above elbow length for a year. (it has grown maybe a cm) Right now I don't cut off split ends and just try to be as gentle with my hair as possible. Is their any actual way of verifying whether hair has stopped growing, stalled, or is growing way slower.

I am guessing you wear your hair down all the time--it is common to reach a growth stall around BSL for those who wear their hair loose, as it starts rubbing against chairs, backpacks, etc. So care to describe your routine for us?

Welcome to LHC, by the way.

prosperina
December 13th, 2010, 08:42 PM
In addition to your routine, it would also help to know your hair type. Is your hair fine? Is it coarse? Is it fragile and on the thinner side? or is it thick and curly? One type doesn't grow faster, but sturdier hair can be more resistant to dammage. Furthermore, do you flat iron? comb your hair roughly? Do you color? At home or in the salon? This things all affect how easily your hair breaks off and hence how long it will grow.

Cereus
December 13th, 2010, 08:50 PM
My hair grew faster when I didn't trim it. I suppose it depends on your hair though mine is fine. I do look back and wonder if I would have enjoyed the journey to hip more if my hair hadn't been as scraggly though.

spidermom
December 13th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I have grown with several trimming/nontrimming systems.

With trims every 6-8 weeks, I gained 4.75 inches of new length in a year.

With trims every 3-4 months, I gained 5.5 inches.

With no trims whatsoever, I gained 7 inches.

Really, that's not a lot of difference, especially between trimming every 3-4 months and not trimming at all, plus my ends get thinner and more straggly looking when I don't trim them. This year I decided not to trim until I get to my goal length (top of thighs; I'm soooooo close), then maintain that length with trims for at least six months to a year to improve the appearance and condition of the ends.

If your hair isn't getting longer, it might be worth trying teeny-tiny trims on a regular basis because your hair might be breaking off and that is why it isn't getting longer.

HintOfMint
December 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM
If you don't care about the hair looking nice, then it really depends on how your hair reacts to damage. I used to blowdry and flat iron and my hair would split and get dry but most of it wouldn't break off, so my hair still grew a ton without trimming in 9 months. It looked like crap, but I gained the same length that I did with healthy ends. However, if your hair breaks off due to damage (white dots and the like) then you're not going to get much length by just leaving it alone. It just depends on your hair type and what kind of damage your hair sustains.
I hope that answers your question.

jenjen10
December 14th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I think it also depends on your tolerance for "awkward" stages with your hair... for me, I need to trim every six months or so to even out my hemline or I start to feel that my hair looks icky and get the urge to do a big chop.... obviously, that would definitely undermine me gaining length!

If you are good at putting it up and forgetting about it, you might be able to let it go without noticing those stages. However, it seems to me (from reading the previous threads) that although people gained a lot of length, they ended up cutting just as much in the end as if they had trimmed all along. I guess it comes down to what your goal is... more length to be able to do up-do's or presentable hair along the way. JMO.

feralnature
December 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM
It depends on whether your hair breaks off easily and how you take care of it. I haven't cut my hair in three years and it seems to work for me because I baby it and it doesn't break off, so if your hair is like that then I would say just let it grow naturally if your looking to get length as quickly as possible without worrying about a thinner hemline. If your hair breaks off easily and you don't baby it then I would recommend doing trims every now and then to help prevent breakage.

I went 3 years without a trim also.

I have pics in my albums that show my timeline.

frodolaughs
December 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM
In my experience hair grows faster if you don't trim it. However, if you're trying to gain length it's also important to avoid damaging your hair. Many people find that keeping their hair up in a bun or some other protective hairstyle helps keep the ends from getting damaged and breaking off. I trim about once a year and keep my hair up nearly every day. If your hair is stalled around BSL it may be because it's getting damaged and breaking off on bag straps, the back of a chair, or something else it rubs against regularly. Trimming won't help you avoid this kind of damage--you have to figure out what's causing the harm and change things so that the breakage is no longer occurring before you can expect your hair to grow beyond this point.

I think that the main thing trimming does is give you an even hemline, which will make your hair look thicker at the bottom of its length than if it ends unevenly. Which look you prefer is really a matter of personal taste.

Anje
December 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Depending on how much damage you currently have, you might get away with not trimming. If your hair's stuck, though, you should at least concentrate on doing some deep treatments to help maximize the health of your hair, since it's evidently either breaking off or shedding out at the length you're currently at.

Start minimizing tangles and breakage by wearing your hair with the ends tucked up against your head, where they won't rub on things, get caught, tangle, and break. Use conditioner. Don't use hot appliances. Don't perm or bleach. Don't use a comb or brush that has sharp edges that rip hair, and carefully work out tangles rather than ripping through them.

Once you've managed the above, report back in. We can fine-tune what your hair needs and doesn't need based on how it behaves and reacts, but what I've got above will get your hair a long way toward its maximum potential length.

BellCat
December 14th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I say if your hair is breaking off trim it and then let it grow. I went 2 years without a trim and damaging my hair nearly everyday with heat. Then in May 2010 I got a good trim it wasnt cut too short id say it was cut to BSL and my hair reached waist in 6 months...the longest its every been and the fastest it's ever grown.

thatjengirl1
December 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM
To me, not cutting it makes it grow faster.

Messyhair
December 15th, 2010, 07:55 PM
When my ends are split, my growth tends to stall. I definitely have to trim off the damage as it comes, though I usually just do S&D to trim only what needs trimming.

ravenreed
December 15th, 2010, 08:26 PM
For my hair, no trims means more split ends which means more tangles which means more damage. It does far better with the occasional micro or mini trim than to be left alone.

terrylillyd
December 15th, 2010, 08:35 PM
For me, not trimming for a couple years was the only thing that got my hair to grow long. My ends tend to not split badly. When I would trim, the ends would eventually split and I would eventually trim again. And I would never get any real growth past a certain point. When I stopped trimming, my hair just grew and grew, and the growth was much faster then the splitting of my ends.

jojo
December 16th, 2010, 10:32 AM
It depends on how undamaged your hair is, if you have split ends or hair that breaks on the ends, sure your hair will grow but it wont retain the length as it will snap off. You could try oiling the ends and bunning daily; that way you protect the length.

Growing hair is easy, it does it all by its self; the secret to long hair is retaining the amount grown, damaged hair as I said above will snap-period!

heidi w.
December 16th, 2010, 10:42 AM
TRimming in and of itself does not improve growth rate. Hair grows at its rate.

My hair guru informed me that the longer hair is, the longer the replacement phase to grow to length, thus hair can seem to stall out at a certain point, but be patient and suddenly one day it'll start growing again. I had a period of about 2 years where my hair stayed at pretty much my knees, and then it started growing suddenly again, just as he stated. So patience.

I will argue though that good quality equals good quantity. Hair that doesn't have a ton of damge looks nicer, doesn't continue up the hair strand splitting or causing tangles and such......

If you eventually want a nice hemline too, then keeping after that hemline matters.

At elbow length you have plenty of length to commit some of your focus to quality of hair. Cause it's no fun to gain say a year's worth of growth (minimally 6 inches), and end up having so much damage and such an uneven hemline, and possibly a weak spot, that you have to cut off 3-4 inches.

If you want to improve growth rate, then think about hair vitamins, which utilize high dosages of Vitamin A. Think about zinc and that kind of thing. I can't remember the hair vitamin name that many I know have used. I even used it but couldn't handle the high dosage of Vitamin A and began itching from the inside out......These work by minimizing hair loss, or natural shedding. If you stop using them shedding picks up.
heidi w.

heidi w.
December 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Another vitamin to look into: Biotin.

The B complex, particularly 6 and 3 and 12.

Personally I also liked COQ10.

Zinc is big among long hair enthusiasts.

some women do prenatal vitamins.

There's a vitamin I'm presently trying desperately to remember, and it just escapes me at the moment, and all my searches so far aren't producing it. Derned!!!
http://www.iloveindia.com/nutrition/vitamin/vitamins-for-hair.html

And of course, there's no making up for poor nutrition. So eat well. In term's of the body's hierarchy, hair is last on the list, so to get hair healthy via nutrition, one needs to consistently eat healthy.

And once again, there's no statistically proveable way to increase hair growth. I recall that just beyond elbow length, however, I went through quite the growth spurt for a while. Something in the arena of 3 inches a month, which is pretty incredible. I give that factoid up to great genes. My mother had beautiful long hair.
heidi w.

sayshell
December 18th, 2010, 12:52 AM
I don't do any heat treatment or colouring, and in terms of thickness I think its pretty normal. The tensile strength is slightly higher than the average person. Mechanical damage is basically impossible to prevent. I am really into biking and I spin a lot when I ride so it gets whipped really hard against my body. If I have to wear it in a bun or pony tail or something it kind of defeats the whole purpose. I love having it whip around. I don't mind trimming it and stuff but I am not willing to prevent mechanical damage. Am I out of luck? What if I took good care of it till its waist length and then started neglecting it again would it stay long?

thatjengirl1
December 18th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I don't mind trimming it and stuff but I am not willing to prevent mechanical damage. Am I out of luck? What if I took good care of it till its waist length and then started neglecting it again would it stay long?

Neglecting hip length hair might not be the best idea. You have no idea how tangly it can get if you dont take care of it somewhat. You can't have your cake and eat it too. you have to take care of your hair.. to have nice hair. Goodluck with growing it out.

Arctic_Mama
December 18th, 2010, 01:44 AM
It really does depend on your damage. I went almost two years without cutting mine, and then I only trimmed an inch from the bottommost layer, leaving the rest as is. I trimmed to improve the feel of it, but I wasn't actually damaged badly beyond a few splits and dryness.

I went from shoulder length to halfway between waist and hip in two years.

For me, not trimming went fine, so long as I wore my hair up and minimized mechanical damage. It still needs to bottom four inches chopped to even the layers and gets rid of the heat and color damage, but it isn't breaking off in any appreciable way, nor are my splits traveling up the length as far as I can tell. So for me, babying it means I can get away with few to no trims. But the damage will indeed have to come off eventually.

ddiana1979
December 18th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I don't mean for this to sound snarky, but if you're not willing to prevent mechanical damage, best of luck to you on getting to your goal. Unless you have fabulous genes for an exceptionally long terminal &/or practically indestructible hair, all the mechanical damage you're accumulating is probably what's keeping your length from changing.

If you took good care of it until waist length & then started neglecting it again, it will probably stay long (at least for awhile), but eventually it will start to look ratty and uneven with thin ends. You mentioned you were looking for quantity over quality though, so IMO, that's your best bet to get to goal length.

ericthegreat
December 18th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I don't do any heat treatment or colouring, and in terms of thickness I think its pretty normal. The tensile strength is slightly higher than the average person. Mechanical damage is basically impossible to prevent. I am really into biking and I spin a lot when I ride so it gets whipped really hard against my body. If I have to wear it in a bun or pony tail or something it kind of defeats the whole purpose. I love having it whip around. I don't mind trimming it and stuff but I am not willing to prevent mechanical damage. Am I out of luck? What if I took good care of it till its waist length and then started neglecting it again would it stay long?

I don't mean to sound rude but it doesn't appear that you really care too much about the health of your hair then. If you aren't willing to take the protective measures to protect your hair from damage by wearing it up, then you are indeed choosing to allow your hair to become damaged especially with all the other physical activities that you do. That damage may very well prevent you from reaching your length goal.