PDA

View Full Version : Hair split up the shaft

BellCat
December 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Whenever I see my hair in the strong light, I always notice little hairs sticking out of the length all the way up to the top. Basically it must be my hair badly split from years of damage. My last trim was in May 2010. I know alot of people chop their hair for a fresh start but I just can't do it. Although my hair was this damaged before it was last trimmed it has grown alot since then. When people talk about not being able to gain length from this kind of damage, I wonder how long my hair has left untill it just won't grow and breaks off?

Has anyone else grown their hair long despite the hair being split up the length of the shaft?

jesis
December 13th, 2010, 01:47 PM
My hair will absolutely not get any longer if I have damage. It's a real pain, but I tried to grow my hair out for years and only now that I have been getting trims ~every 3 months am I noticing any growth.

halo_tightens
December 13th, 2010, 01:47 PM
It sounds to me like you're describing seeing the ends of many different hairs that are all at different lengths, not actual split hairs...

If you see one of those little ends sticking out halfway up, grab on and follow it up. I bet you'll find that you're following a perfectly healthy hair up to where it connects to your scalp. It's just not as long as the longest hairs you have.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a feeling. ;)

spidermom
December 13th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I agree with halo tightens. We all have hair like that. Hairs reach the end of their growth cycles and shed out every single day. New hairs grow in every single day. It's more obvious in some hair types than others, but if you start looking for it, I'm sure you'll see that everybody with hair longer than pixie length has hairs that are much shorter than the longest lengths.

excentricat
December 13th, 2010, 01:52 PM
They probably aren't splits, that's when one hair splits into two partway down. Most of them probably aren't breakage either. Your hairs all grow at different rates and times, so most of them are going to be normal, healthy hairs that just started growing at some point later than your longest hairs. Some of them, of course, will be broken off. If you have a whole bunch at one level, consider if this is where you pony tail often or whatever, I used to get a lot of breakage from that. Otherwise, do a little S&D on the real splits, and let the others grow. By the time the long ones are ready to shed, the short ones will have caught up to replace them.

ETA: and I type slow, I see others have said the same things.

christine1989
December 13th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Back in middle school/high school I heat styled daily and literally EVERY hair was split up the shaft, plagued with white dots and dry but it still grew long and pretty fast too. I don't think it is a good idea to keep the damage but as long as its not breaking off it is possible to still get some length.

BellCat
December 13th, 2010, 01:54 PM
omg i hope thats what it is. I got really freaked out when I realised I could have been treating my hair so well for it to keep spliting up to my virgin hair :/ when my hair is dry im going to see ... fingers crossed :P

luxepiggy
December 13th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I very much doubt that those are splits - just hairs that are at a different point in the growth cycle! We all have those, and they're not going to negatively impact your overall growth (^(oo)^)

If they bother you aesthetically, perhaps try some different haircare routines - switching from regular washing & conditioning (left, taken in August) to CO washing (right, taken this month) made a big difference for me:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=90381

prosperina
December 13th, 2010, 01:58 PM
The only thing that split my hair all the way up the shaft--from bra strap to above my ears--:scared: was bleach. I made my hair blonder at home. I should have gone to the salon and it would have been gentler.

You may have some splits that run up the whole shaft, but you could also just have baby hairs. I can't imagine getting that kind of damage from anything but bleach or chemical color....

As for cutting off all damage, or most of the damage, I prefer it because then if you do have damage that seems to travel up the hair (not sure if that's even true) then you'll be done with it. Although I wouldn't cut off all my hair, you could just do an inch or less trim and a deep condition and see how it feels.

BellCat
December 13th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I very much doubt that those are splits - just hairs that are at a different point in the growth cycle! We all have those, and they're not going to negatively impact your overall growth (^(oo)^)

If they bother you aesthetically, perhaps try some different haircare routines - switching from regular washing & conditioning (left, taken in August) to CO washing (right, taken this month) made a big difference for me:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=90381
Your hair is soooooooooooo shiney ^.^

I've been co-washing since i've joined LHC but with cones. Yesturday I bought tresemme naturals silicone free shampoo and conditioner. Right now I'm sitting with an olive and rosemary oil scalp treatment in my hair. But when it is dry I will do that test with a stand to see if it comes of my scalp or another hair :S

luxepiggy
December 13th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Your hair is soooooooooooo shiney ^.^

I've been co-washing since i've joined LHC but with cones. Yesturday I bought tresemme naturals silicone free shampoo and conditioner. Right now I'm sitting with an olive and rosemary oil scalp treatment in my hair. But when it is dry I will do that test with a stand to see if it comes of my scalp or another hair :S

I CO wash with cones. Lots of cones. As in, I've been CO-washing with Pantene (^(oo)^)

Sheltie_Momma
December 13th, 2010, 02:42 PM
You know the other thing that can make that happen is if you have ever had your hair thinned with thinning shears or if they razor cut it (where they slide the scissors down the edges). I know I have much much less of what you are describing now that all of my layers are grown out.

BellCat
December 13th, 2010, 02:48 PM
You know the other thing that can make that happen is if you have ever had your hair thinned with thinning shears or if they razor cut it (where they slide the scissors down the edges). I know I have much much less of what you are describing now that all of my layers are grown out.
my hair is so thin that I've never gotten it thinned out or cut with a razor. I have layers but they are literally almost the same length as the rest of my hair :P

BellCat
December 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM
okay i pulled a few and they are actually short hairs :P THANK GOD