PDA

View Full Version : A year without trimming HAIR CARE

Anisaa
December 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I am curious to know what your hair care routine is when you decide not to trim for a long period of time. I for example:
wash my hair only twice a week, I use absolutely NO HEAT, I deep condition and I do intensive hair masks every two weeks, I s&d often, I leave ion a hair condition, and I wear my hair up in a bun, I am also very careful with they type of hair brushes I use. I oil, using coconut, olive and vitamin E oil. Please share your hair care routine and happy HOLIDAYS!!! <3

spidermom
December 13th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I didn't do anything different. I had my last trim in January and don't plan another one until March.

Kristin
December 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
It sounds like you're doing everything you can already. Just keep up the good work!

Wally
December 13th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah. I do what you do. I just try to keep it moisturized as much as possible.

KLin
December 13th, 2010, 03:46 PM
This will be my first year without trimming challenge.

I am focused on a healthy head of hair, not just the hemline. The last year I spent trimming off old layers. The next year I need to learn some safe updo's, and moisture treatments.

I have not used heat in years and do not color my greys. Just going for longer healthy hair

GrowingGlory
December 13th, 2010, 09:59 PM
This year, I'm using Triple Moon Annointing Oil on my scalp and Panacea Winter Salve on my ends. Both are from NightBlooming's Etsy Shop. For me, they are Holy Grail products. The rest of my routine is described on my profile and hasn't changed.

Theobroma
December 14th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I haven't trimmed since late January or early February, and I'm not planning to trim for probably another year (or until I hit solid hip, whichever comes first).

Routine: Wash every six or seven days (CO washing since July), coconut oil on lower 50&#37; of length on most non-wash days, also on the crown to smooth down any frizzies, minimal blowdrying (only back of head; I live in a cold climate and can't airdry from sopping wet), protective updos as per the Wear Hair UP challenge.

My ends are in great shape, with pretty much no splits at all.

KittyLost
December 14th, 2010, 04:42 AM
When I decide to go a long time without trimming I don't heat style at all and avoid bleaching my hair, I either dye it back to my natural colour or use veggie dyes like Directions to add a colour shine when I get bored, otherwise my routine stays the same. It tends to be heat styling that causes the most damage to my hair so I gave up the straighteners when I decided to grow long.

Protective updos and lots of moisture, heat free rag curls or wrapping for special occasions.

EbonyCurls
December 14th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I haven't trimmed for 2 years though I am due for one. I started breaking about 6 months ago, but mainly because I wasn't washing/detangling as often as I should.

-I need to have sometime of frizz control at all time in my hair (like gel or leave-in) or my hair becomes static-y and clings together like velcro.

-I also do search and destroys (hair saver!) and don't straighten. I do wear my hair down 75% of the time but don't find that it damages my hair.

-When I'm sitting or driving I make sure my hair isn't trapped between my back and the chair (so there is no rubbing of the ends).

-I don't put anything other than water, conditioner, or gentle hair gels on my ends (no waxes or oils or pomades) because I find the least amount of build up allows them to drink up the water and conditioner better.

-Overall, detangling, S&Ds, and water and conditioner, and washing my hair (which I like to call "moisture balance resetting") at least twice a week MINIMUM (but ideally 3x/week) are the biggest things in keeping the health of my ends.

-Whenever I do get my hair trimmed, I am extra vigilant with the S&D's because I find that my scissors are sharper than most salons'.

feralnature
December 14th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I went 3 years without a trim. And plan to not get a trim in 2011.

I wash my hair only twice a week. I use Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Shampoo and conditioner from the dollar store.

I oil my hair faithfully with coconut oil. In fact, my hair pretty much "lives' with coconut in it at all times. I let the coconut oil just kind of build up on it. Then wash and slowly as the days go by, let the cocnut oil build up on it again. I do lightly, periodic applications of LouAna coconut oil from the baking section at walmart.

I only use a wide tooth comb, no BBB or anything else. I keep my hair in braids, one down my back, or two, like Willie Nelson.

I use no heat, no blow dryer, no flat iron, etc...ever.

I take vitamin suppliments.

I am patient and enjoy the journey of growing out my beautiful, healthy hair.

I am thankful that I have found this place and that I have learned from great teachers.