PDA

View Full Version : Rosemary Oil :)

BellCat
December 13th, 2010, 03:45 AM
I just bought some rosemary oil and am excited to try it out! How do you use it? Has it made any difference to your hair/scalp?

:)

PolarCathy
December 13th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I just bought some rosemary oil and am excited to try it out! How do you use it? Has it made any difference to your hair/scalp?

:)

Woohooo! It will make your hair grow faster :-) I use it *very* diluted 1) in avocado and grapeseed oil and massage it into my scalp and then struggle with how to wash it off since I don't use shampoo or conditioner, and 2) mix a few drops in rosewater, put it in a spray bottle, shake and spray it on my hair whenever I feel like I can't wake up in the morning.

BellCat
December 13th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Woohooo! It will make your hair grow faster :-) I use it *very* diluted 1) in avocado and grapeseed oil and massage it into my scalp and then struggle with how to wash it off since I don't use shampoo or conditioner, and 2) mix a few drops in rosewater, put it in a spray bottle, shake and spray it on my hair whenever I feel like I can't wake up in the morning.
Yay! I'm excited to see results? Has your growth improved much? I don't have any oils to mix only olive? would that do?

PolarCathy
December 13th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Yay! I'm excited to see results? Has your growth improved much? I don't have any oils to mix only olive? would that do?

Well it is growing much faster but I am not sure if it's the rosemary alone or the avocado because avocado is said to have some effects like that too :) I used to rub it in my scalp once or twice a week now that I want my hair grow faster because I cut it a few weeks ago.

I am sorry I don't know about olive, my hair is so fine that I certainly wouldn't be able to wash that out at all with the water-only routine (maybe not even by shampooing twice) so I never use that. But there are so many lighter oils - I am in Sweden and here I can easily get: walnut, grapeseed, pumpkin seed, almond oil (these are light compared to olive), I'd use any of those. But I don't see a problem with olive if you can wash it out. GL :)

PolarCathy
December 13th, 2010, 04:03 AM
But PLEASE never ever put any UNDILUTED essential oil on your scalp.

BellCat
December 13th, 2010, 04:04 AM
haha of course :) Thanks

LissaJane
December 13th, 2010, 04:39 AM

Out of curiosity, why?
I've never used essential oils and I'm not actually sure exactly what is considered an essential oil..

PolarCathy
December 13th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Out of curiosity, why?
I've never used essential oils and I'm not actually sure exactly what is considered an essential oil..

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil) in small doses.

Thing is, essential oils are very concentrated. Many of them are toxic when ingested, for example peppermint oil (not the amount in toothpastes though) while it is safe to drink peppermint tea.. I think among the well-known essential oils there is only one that is safe to put on the skin undiluted, that is lavender oil, but I am not sure how the scalp would react. I often use lavender oil undiluted on my face and arms when fishing (it is insect repellent). Other than that, better to be safe with EOs.

Btw I forgot about rosemary that pregnant women shouldn't use it at all, nor people prone to seizures.

PolarCathy
December 13th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil) in small doses.

<-- forgot to delete

Night_Kitten
December 13th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I also like rosemary oil :)
I use it for pre-wash overnight oilings (diluted in a carrier oil), and I think I noticed more babyhairs growing in since I started using it (though it's too eraly to be absolutely sure, started using it not so long ago).
I started using it after I read somewhere it incurages hair growth, LOL :D

cataphract
December 14th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I love the smell of rosemary EO and used to have some curl enhancing product that had it as an ingredient that I really liked as well (back when I was using conventional products). I have some difficulty resisting the urge to roll around in my rosemary bushes all summer as I walk up and down the path next to my house, haha.

I haven't used it lately though because I've read something about it potentially bringing out darker colors in your hair. Is this true? Or is it blond safe?

BellCat
December 14th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I love the smell of rosemary EO and used to have some curl enhancing product that had it as an ingredient that I really liked as well (back when I was using conventional products). I have some difficulty resisting the urge to roll around in my rosemary bushes all summer as I walk up and down the path next to my house, haha.

I haven't used it lately though because I've read something about it potentially bringing out darker colors in your hair. Is this true? Or is it blond safe?
i looooove the smell too! :)
I have read it does darken over time but I think only with frequent use. Blondes are lucky though you get honey ^.^

I only use it now with olive oil scalp massage as I don't have a carrier oil but I don't use it often enough yet too see my already dark dark hair darker lol

PolarCathy
December 14th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I only use it now with olive oil scalp massage as I don't have a carrier oil but I don't use it often enough yet too see my already dark dark hair darker lol

You've got beautiful hair!

Henna Sooq
December 14th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Yes all essential oils well practically all, must be used diluted with another base oil or henna paste, or other ingredients to stretch it out so it's not full strength. It is very concentrated and can be harmful. Luckily that's also a good thing so that the oil goes a long way as well. :)

BellCat
December 14th, 2010, 08:39 AM
You've got beautiful hair!

PolarCathy
December 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Well, at least it has the potential to look like that ;) -- and when it doesn't, you can always have a look at the photo and feel better :)

BellCat
December 14th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Well, at least it has the potential to look like that ;) -- and when it doesn't, you can always have a look at the photo and feel better :)
hehe exactly!! :)

PolarCathy
December 14th, 2010, 08:53 AM
If it really darkens hair, I should use it more. I just noticed a few days ago (and it came as a shock) that I have some white hairs. Not grey, white. Silver. Found like ten, long curly silver hairs. I mean they have been there for a while, the longest I found was 15 cm+. I am a little bit young for that I think. (I would like to think.) Stress?...

But I've run out of it. Should get some. But come on, rosemary oil in the middle of nowhere? EBay? Takes weeks to get here :)

BellCat
December 14th, 2010, 08:56 AM
If it really darkens hair, I should use it more. I just noticed a few days ago (and it came as a shock) that I have some white hairs. Not grey, white. Silver. Found like ten, long curly silver hairs. I mean they have been there for a while, the longest I found was 15 cm+. I am a little bit young for that I think. (I would like to think.) Stress?...

But I've run out of it. Should get some. But come on, rosemary oil in the middle of nowhere? EBay? Takes weeks to get here :)
it's supposed to help alot with white/grey hairs so you should try it out and let us know if it helps :P

PolarCathy
December 14th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Probably it's getting white to blend with the (constant) snow ;) Like the arctic fox. Then rosemary can't help :)

cataphract
December 14th, 2010, 01:15 PM
i looooove the smell too! :)
I have read it does darken over time but I think only with frequent use. Blondes are lucky though you get honey ^.^

Cool, thanks! I guess I could always try it and then if it got darker just 'fix it' with whatever herbal lightening I'm into at the time, haha. Unfortunately honey just gave me velcro ends last time so I'm a little gun shy about using it again. I probably just did it 'wrong', haha.