PDA

View Full Version : Where has this year gone to?? (1 year progress).

little_cherry
December 12th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Yes...Indeed. Around this time last year, I joined LHC. It has been a very interesting experience trying to find out what's best for my hair. About a year prior to joining LHC, I decided to try henna. With my limited knowledge but massive enthusiasm, I hopped off to the health food store and picked up a box (gasp) of 'henne' henna in Mahogany. Little did I know that this particular brand of henna was loaded with Sodium Picramate! Here's a picture of my hair after that metallic salt laden henna, taken December 25th 2008...(pw for photobucket is longhair1)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/nessie1982/The%20long%20hair%20journey/25thdecember2008compoundhenna.jpg

Scary, huh? Even though my hair had been cut with layers only a week prior, that compound henna turned my hair into something only farm animals would love. :eyebrows:

At this point, I switched to sulfate free shampooing, but still used a coney conditioner.

Enter Lush henna.
One day I was happily strolling through the shopping center when a smell captivated my senses. Little did I know, I was actually about 3 stores away from the source! When I finally reached the store, the smell almost knocked me over. In the far corner, I noticed a little 5 letter word: Henna. I rushed over and checked out the ingredients; NO METALLIC SALTS!! NO PPD! I was sold and purchased a bar of rouge as well as a few other yummies like some reincarnate shampoo bar and jungle conditioner.

Here's my hair after an application of the rouge (11 January, 2009).
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/nessie1982/The%20long%20hair%20journey/11jan2009lushhenna.jpg

As you can see, my hair is in much better condition in the second photo. I ended up using lush hennas for a while. I loved the condition it left my hair in, but I was greedy-- I wanted a much more saturated colour.

This is where my love of BAQ henna and making my own products started. I moved away from the lush products because of the unnecessary ingredients that were irritating my scalp.

At this point, my hair was cut into an assymmetric cut. In February, I evened out the cut and was around collarbone-shoulder length. My laptops died and I never got around to getting a caddy for the hard drives, so these pictures aren't available.

I purchased some Jamila henna from Henna Sooq around the same time I joined LHC...I studied the henna Sooq webpage, among other henna pages and settled on Jamila because of my silvers. I fell in love with it straight away. The powder was so smooth and easy to mix. I also hennaed my nails, too. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of my nails and the henna has since grown out. At the time, I was also washing my hair with diluted baking soda and a dilute ACV rinse. My hair loved these, but I was so curious to give CO a try...off to the store I went. Suave was my friend for many months!

After reading the Henna Sooq website again, I fell in love with another henna...Yemeni. Let me just say, I really love Yemeni. It gives me a fantastic cherry colour. I have been using Yemeni for quite a few months now...
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/nessie1982/The%20long%20hair%20journey/yemeni.jpg

I did experiment using different 'cones and sulfates, but in the end my hair was just not happy with them.

About a month ago, I went crazy and thought "Why not try more types of henna?" So I did :cheese:. So far, I've tried Moroccan, Yemeni, Jamila and Rajasthani. All are wonderful. I recently did a blend of all these hennas.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/nessie1982/The%20long%20hair%20journey/IMG_6878.jpg?t=1292216565
As you can see, it is slightly darker, which I don't mind. I've been toying with trying honey lightening..

Recently, I switched to Indian herb washing and I think I've found something that my budget, the environment and my hair love. I love to make my own deep treatments, conditioners and hair oil blends. At the moment, I'm working on a pumpkin conditioner and a choco-banana conditioner using only natural ingredients. My current routine is in my profile.

I'm am pretty pleased with my growth and condition. I do have quarrels with my hair, but that is due to the water being loaded with calcium and magnesium. I rectify that by doing a club soda soak once a month (thanks, Ktani! and rinsing my hair with ACV. ).

Here's my growth timeline:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/nessie1982/The%20long%20hair%20journey/hairgrowthMarch-December2010.jpg

A recent length shot.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/nessie1982/The%20long%20hair%20journey/IMG_7023.jpg
To that day, I have lost over 50lbs, too.

My photobucket link (http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/nessie1982/The%20long%20hair%20journey/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16).

I'd like to thank LHC and Henna Sooq! :)

christine1989
December 12th, 2010, 11:55 PM
You have beautiful hair and your growth this year has been phenominal! :)

serious
December 13th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Fantastic growth! Congratulations!

And, your color is beautiful :crush:

ericthegreat
December 13th, 2010, 12:20 AM
The later henna shades that you had were just beautiful! I especially love the third picture, the one where you used Yemeni to achieve that lovely cherry red color.

Congratulations on your first anniversary here.

yellowchariot
December 13th, 2010, 12:23 AM
little cherry, you have made excellent progress, and the color and texture of your hair is wonderful! Keep it up! Your hair looks healthy! :thumbsup:

DARKMARTIAN
December 13th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Progress can be a wonderful thing, and youve certainly achieved it Lil'_c....:hifive:

Great color, and great hair on a great girl....:)

cubedcoley
December 13th, 2010, 12:40 AM
What beautiful pictures. I am too intimidated to try henna! But, I love how cassia thickens and strengthens my fine hair! Thanks for sharing! :flowers:

Loreley
December 13th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Congrats! Your hair looks great, I love the colour! :)

pennyroyal
December 13th, 2010, 01:22 AM
WOW! Your hair is getting so long, cherry! & that color is absolutley gorgeous!!! I want it! Your hair looks very healthy too. Congrats & happy anniversary! I cannot wait till my hair is as long as yours. :)

nereida
December 13th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Wow, your hair just looks awesome :) - shiny, healthy and your hair colour is very nice
Nice job :)

milagro
December 13th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Just - wow. It looks like you got a totally new hair in one year. It's beautiful :flower:

Bianca
December 13th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Congrats :cheer:

It looks great. Lovely color :)

freckles
December 13th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Wow, pretty shiny hair! I love the colour :)

skaempfer
December 13th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Oh, wow! That is beautiful, like chocolate-cherry! congratulations!

Qadupae
December 13th, 2010, 03:54 AM
You and your hair looks fantastic little cherry ^_^

Yozhik
December 13th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Congratulations, little cherry -- that's a lot of progress!
I love all of your different reds, too, especially the ... well, er, the cherry one. :D

LocustSpawning
December 13th, 2010, 04:09 AM
You have a gooooorgeous colour!

Dragon
December 13th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Looks great :)

Dreams_in_Pink
December 13th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Your hair looks...ALIVE!! i mean, really, from the roots to the ends!!

mrs_coffee
December 13th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Your hair is beautiful! I love the shade of it and you've had some really great growth too.

To that day, I have lost over 50lbs, too.

Fantastic and well done! :)

Vorvolaka
December 13th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I love that cherry colour!

cmnt831
December 13th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Beautiful hair and wonderful progress all around! :cheer:

KittyLost
December 13th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Congratulations on your weight loss and hair growth!

Your hair is lovely :)

Avital88
December 13th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I see your hair has grown alot but your ends still look thick! really nice progress! congratulations!

melrose1985
December 13th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Kudos to your hair and your weight loss!!!

spidermom
December 13th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Good growth. I'm glad you found henna.

ingvild
December 13th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Your hair looks amazing! And the texture & growth kind of looks similar to that of mine. :D I'm itching to try some "real" henna, but I'm going to use up my Lush stuff first. This post is really inspiring, thanks!

ButterCup02
December 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Wow your hair is gorgeous! Love the henna and it looks so healthy! Congrats on the weight loss too :)

princessp
December 13th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Congratulations little cherry! Awesome progress and beautiful hair, I really love your final color!

Firegarnet
December 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Lovely progress (hair and weight)...congratulations!

ooo
December 13th, 2010, 01:38 PM
congrats, nice progress. Your hair looks healthy too :)

jeanniet
December 13th, 2010, 03:14 PM
It looks beautiful, little_cherry, and great growth, too! Can I ask what you used to get the color in the November photo? I've been doing hendigo, but indigo just doesn't stick in my hair, so now I'm toying with the idea of doing straight henna--but I need to find the right one that will work with my silvers and my very dark hair without looking odd.

You should be proud of all the work you've put into figuring out the right routine for your hair. It's really paid off! :cheese:

dropinthebucket
December 13th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Great growth! congrats on anniversary. Love the deep cherry-just-almost-burgundy you got with the Yemeni!

sami
December 13th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I love the colour you got with henna blend, its beautiful. Something to aspire to!

MissManda
December 13th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Congratulations on one year! :) Your hair is a gorgeous color! :)

hazelnut
December 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Your growth and your hair color are amazing! Congrats!:)

triumphator!
December 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Congratulations, your hair has come such a long way and it's so gawk-worthy! :)

Shany
December 13th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Great progress and nice color!! Congrats on your weight loss :)

Fadedbluedreams
December 13th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Wow! On my screen your August picture looks blood red. Very interesting :)

little_cherry
December 13th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Oh, wow.. :o Thanks, everyone! :flower: It has been my goal to have nice hair since I was 13 years old. Unfortunately, I have spend a fortune trying to get it to look nice. Little did I know that I only need to spend a little! ;)

Every one of you has been an inspiration to me. :)

This place is fantastic! Not only did I get the hair that I've always wanted, I've also made some fantastic friends! :flower:

Your hair looks...ALIVE!! i mean, really, from the roots to the ends!!
Thanks! :) If it was, I'm sure it would try and strangle me and convince me to buy every awesome oil.....oh, wait... ;)

It looks beautiful, little_cherry, and great growth, too! Can I ask what you used to get the color in the November photo? I've been doing hendigo, but indigo just doesn't stick in my hair, so now I'm toying with the idea of doing straight henna--but I need to find the right one that will work with my silvers and my very dark hair without looking odd.

You should be proud of all the work you've put into figuring out the right routine for your hair. It's really paid off! :cheese:
Aww, thank you! In the November photos, I used a blend of Yemeni, rajasthani, Jamila and Moroccan hennas. The Moroccan goes quite dark, so I basically treat it like indigo (it doesn't go as dark as that, but it really helps to darken the effect)..I think my ratios were 40g-30g-20g-10g with hibiscus tea. The Moroccan on its own has a browny-mahogany colour.

sunshine80
December 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM
great progress your hair looks so healthy:)

jaimers
December 13th, 2010, 06:10 PM
congrats on the growth, color, and weight loss!
I'm sure this belongs in a separate thread, but what have you been doing to lose weight? I've been on journey to a healthier body this past year, and just started my 'healthier hair' journey last month! I can't wait to have my own 1yr anniversary :)
congrats again little cherry!

Roscata
December 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Lovely hair and great progress. I have to try Yemeni henna now. It looks great! :D

little_cherry
December 13th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Thank you to everyone once again! :)

congrats on the growth, color, and weight loss!
I'm sure this belongs in a separate thread, but what have you been doing to lose weight? I've been on journey to a healthier body this past year, and just started my 'healthier hair' journey last month! I can't wait to have my own 1yr anniversary :)
congrats again little cherry!
I've limited the amount of sugars I consume, increased fiber, eating lean sources of protein, increased my water intake, exercise, and listen to my body.

Good luck with your hair care and weight loss! :)

missfortune9335
December 13th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Congratulations! Your hair is getting so long, and I love love love the shine. Looking good!

principesse
December 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Great progress. Your hair looks so soft and healthy :)

Dreams_in_Pink
December 14th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Thanks! :) If it was, I'm sure it would try and strangle me

Why would anyone want to strangle someone who's feeding them very well? I mean, you've outdone yourself with that pumpkin conditioner/mask thing! :D

Issmene
December 14th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Pretty! I really love the colour :)

Henna Sooq
December 14th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Absolutely amazing! What a great job you've done with your hair. and all naturally :) So happy for you. It grew so much and so quickly.

little_cherry
December 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Hi Khadija..thank you times a million! :) I've learned so much from you. :flower:

Dreams_in_Pink, you know how it is! ;) Hair can be very temperamental sometimes! ;)

Thanks, everyone! I had no idea I'd have this many posts! Thanks for being wonderful; it means so much to me!

jojo
December 14th, 2010, 09:59 AM
looks so healthy and youve gained length too well done

little_cherry
December 14th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks, jojo :) Your hair is looking fantastic!

feralnature
December 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Your hair is beautiful :)

jeanniet
December 14th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info on the Moroccan henna, little_cherry. I have some on order and can't wait to try it out!

redneckprincess
December 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM
looks amazing, I love the color!!

maxzeen
December 14th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I just have to say that I love your hair color. It is so pretty!

thatjengirl1
December 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Wow great progress and shiney :D

little_cherry
December 14th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Awww, thank you, everyone! You're all so sweet! :)

Thanks for the info on the Moroccan henna, little_cherry. I have some on order and can't wait to try it out!
I'm looking forward to your results! :) Moroccan is fantastic-- it has such a short dye release time (under an hour) and oxidises quicker.

NebraskaChick84
December 14th, 2010, 08:29 PM
absolutely gorgeous!!!

little_cherry
December 15th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Hey NebraskaChick84! Thank you! Your hair is looking fabulous!

NebraskaChick84
December 15th, 2010, 09:36 AM
thanks! I love your hair...I always wanted to go red, and it looks good on me but I don't have the inclination to keep it up since it doesn't stay on my hair. it's easier to just to go blonde and redo it a couple times a year!

little_cherry
December 15th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I was about to ask...I see your hair looks red in your avatar, but blonde in your 2 year post! Either way, it's very pretty!

Medievalmaniac
December 15th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Your hair (and you!!) look amazing! Awesome progress! Congratulations! :)

little_cherry
December 16th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks, Medievalmaniac! :)