PDA

View Full Version : Confused about tying back hair

KarenSJ
December 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hi All,
I'm confused about which hair ties to use. I like to wear my hair back in either a braid or pony tail, and I usually use the soft scrunchies or the flat ponytail (no metal) bands. But now I have read that all tie backs are bad for your hair, especially if you tie back in the same place every time. Hair sticks just slip out of my hair, same with clips, even the octopus ones. What should I use? I can't wear it down all the time, and I would like to keep it at least braided, but I don't want my hair breaking off where I put the ponytail band at the end. Help!

Karen

Peter
December 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I've been using elastic bands (no metal) for a couple of years now with no problems. My hair is in a braid almost 24/7, tied at essentially the same spot, and I haven't noticed any significant damage. I microtrim my ends every few months and that helps keep them healthy. I don't think you need to stop using the ties you currently use unless your ends are split/broken/damaged.

Madora
December 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I've been using ouchless slip off tiny black rubber bands for years with no problem.

On occasion I've also used the fabric covered elastics that you can find at walmart or target.

If you feel unsure about the placement of the elastics at the end of your braid, then just vary how much "tassel" you leave hanging.

myria
December 12th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I agree with madora, if you're worried about damage vary where you put the ties though I wouldn't worry about it too much since you're using no-metal elastics.
You might want to try cutting an old (clean!) pair of tights across the legs to make hair ties. They'll certainly not damage your hair. I like using them for braids I'm going to bun but they tend to slip down if they're just in a ponytail.

redwoman
December 12th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I use plain elastic (no metal) hair ties. They do not seem to damage my hair. Of course every three months I dust my ends so maybe that helps. Walmart sells the "ouchless" ties.

Ash
December 12th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I braid as far down as I can and put a non metal elastic there. Every so often I trim up my ends so I figure this is getting rid of any potential damage from the elastic. As for ponytails, perhaps you could have a high one some days and then a low one on others. One of those big poufy things could help to lessen damage, not sure of their proper name though. The main thing would be to not tighten the ponytail after the elastic is in place as I believe that causes the most damage from rubbing the hair shaft upwards.

KarenSJ
December 13th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the swift replies! The last one was especially helpful- I do tend to "snug up" my ponytail after putting the elastic in it. I'll also try to vary where I put the end of my braid. :)

Karen

nytquill
December 13th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I think it's all about just not doing the same thing every time. Sometimes for a specific hairdo I need to "snug up" the ponytail to make it work, but I do this only once in a while knowing that it's not the greatest for my hair. When you put your hair back, sometimes do a low pony, sometimes a high one. Same for braids and vary how much length you leave off at the end so it's not being tied off in the same place every day. I also find doing different braids (e.g. 3 strands, french braid, 4 strands) probably helps because you have less chance of exposing the exact same hairs to the exact same stresses when the strands are divided differently from the start.

I use the Goody ouchless elastics, the round ones. I do have splits at the ends but everybody does, there's just too much damage and dryness the hair has dealt with by the time it gets that long, but I S&D regularly and I don't notice a halo of breakage around where I tie off my braids or anything. I admit the flat ones might be better if you're using it as a tool to start your updo (the round ones seem to snag a few hairs once I start messing with them trying to do the updo around them) but to tie off a braid or a plain pony I've had no problem (I don't usually wear plain ponies though cause the weight of my hair tends to pull unevenly and hurt my head). Scrunchies are great too, probably better in fact, as long as they're soft and not too grabby. Some people will even use ribbon to tie off their braids or a piece of fabric - it doesn't hold quite as well I find but it certainly is minimal friction.

Anje
December 13th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Those "ouchless" silicone elastics don't get along well with my hair. Most hairties seem to give me a few nasty scrunched up hairs where they go by the end of the day. So, my latest discovery is that I can make strips of that stretchy bandage material that sticks to itself (Vetrap is one name for it) and wrap those around my braid ends. Definitely the gentlest securing method I've found for them.

I see you're at 21" right now. Do consider trying hairsticks again in a few inches... There are some tricks to them, and you need enough length to get them to serve as sort of a linchpin to keep your hair holding itself, especially if you have slippery hair. Start with Eadwine's 10sec quick bun or Nautilus buns.

You might also want to look at getting a Ficcare. They're expensive, but they hold better than just about anything else.

shikara
December 14th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Ooh, I was happy to find this thread as I have been wondering about the same thing. If, and until I can have an updo that doesn't pull bits of hair, I am quite happy to keep the side braid going for a while and maybe incorporate some where the hair is tied at the top of the braid, and again at the bottom. I expect that good protection with oils, conditioners, etc. helps. I recently bought some 'stylize no snag' ties but don't know what they are made of, even after googling. Latex perha:waving:ps? And is latex safe for the hair?

Tia2010
December 14th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I use to wear ponytails alot and never did find an elastic that didn't pull / damage my hair . I finally started using scrunchies instead of elastics, it helped but I still got a little damage . BUT this was pre LHC and I was rougher with my ponytails and hair in general, so the results may have been from the overall treatment of my hair rather than just the scrunchies or hair ties. Maybe try to find a silk covered hair elastic and don't always use it in the same spot ?

Kalamazoo
March 4th, 2019, 06:06 AM
For now, I've given up using elastic hair ties to tie off braids. Even the "ouchless" and "no damage" ones seem to dent my hair. They seem to be OK to make a pony tail, close to the head; but at the ends, just above a braid's tassel? Maybe it's because my ends are too dry. So I've been English-braiding my hair, & then wrapping the braid(s) around my head & bobby-pinning them in place.

meteor
March 4th, 2019, 07:26 AM
^ For a braid, one of the least damaging ways I know is simply to fold a silky ribbon in 2 halves, add that ribbon to hair as you are continuing braiding it. Basically one half of the ribbon is added to one strand of the braid and the second half of the ribbon is added to a second strand of the 3-strand braid. Keep braiding your hair the same way as before the ribbon was added, as if the ribbon is part of the hair. Then tie (a knot or a bow) with the two ends of the ribbon at the end of the tassel.

Usually, silky ribbons would come off a braid tassel if you use it directly to tie the braid because it's so smooth, but if you weave/add it into the braid as you are braiding the hair along the way I described, it stays put really well.

Catnappen
March 6th, 2019, 01:06 PM
I found these really neat hair ties on Amazon. They come in basic colors and colorful colors. They are very stretchy but hold my slippery hair well and don't seem to cause the same kind of damage/breakage/pulling out hairs that other bands do.

https://www.amazon.com/Seamless-Stretch-Ponytail-Holders-Headband/dp/B07BPT79H4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=MMXJ8BOBCZE3&keywords=hair+elastics+no+damage&qid=1551902736&s=gateway&sprefix=hair+elastics+no&sr=8-3

Rowdy
March 6th, 2019, 02:15 PM
I found these really neat hair ties on Amazon. They come in basic colors and colorful colors. They are very stretchy but hold my slippery hair well and don't seem to cause the same kind of damage/breakage/pulling out hairs that other bands do.

https://www.amazon.com/Seamless-Stretch-Ponytail-Holders-Headband/dp/B07BPT79H4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=MMXJ8BOBCZE3&keywords=hair+elastics+no+damage&qid=1551902736&s=gateway&sprefix=hair+elastics+no&sr=8-3

Oh I love these! I have the black ones and I can still wear a high pony at HL with them.

Hairkay
March 6th, 2019, 03:06 PM
I have used scrunchies and the elastics without metal bits but mostly I just leave my hair bare. Mine will stay plaited/braided more or less as it is. I can even get it to stay in a bun without any added help. I'm a hair minimalist.

SimplySmile
March 8th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Scrunchies!!!!

I love my scrunchies.

I got mine from Amazon. I bought a 40 pack of velvet scrunchies for about $12. Best investment ever. Plus I am weird and I like to match my scrunchie to my outfits.. Lol.