PDA

View Full Version : Share your hair horror stories!

musicallberrii
December 12th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Sorry if this thread has already been done before! :o I want to hear everyone's hair horror stories--it can be about a dying mistake you made, a treatment you did that turned out disastrous, a horrible hair cut, or something physical that happened to your hair.

I'll go first: My worst hair horror story happened about a year ago, I was trying to S&D some split ends and the scissors slipped and I cut about 8 inches out of one side of my hair.. talk about looking ridiculous. Another bad one is when I was 10 and my mom demanded that I had ridiculous thick bangs cut into my hair. I got mad and tried to thin them out with a razor.. and ended up shaving my bangs off. I wore fabric headbands for months to cover up my hairline-buzzcut.

Also, this one isn't mine but I had a co-worker with tailbone length gorgeous hair that she always wore up. I asked if she ever wore it down in public and she told me that the one time she wore it down in public was at the park with her son. She had to go into a slide after him because he wouldn't come down and her hair got caught on one of those metal bolts and it ripped out a chunk the size of her fist. shudder: I cringed so bad when she told me that!

Roseate
December 12th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Mine is just standard-issue idiocy; I attempted to bleach my hair to platinum, resulting in vibrant baby-chicken yellow hair that snapped off near my scalp and poofed up in an Einstein-like 'do.

What really made this a great move is that I did it the day before getting my drivers' license picture taken... so I had to have a picture of myself looking like a radioactive dandelion in my wallet for ten years!

musicallberrii
December 12th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Roseate, that is too hilarious! Not to laugh at your misfortune, but your description of a radioactive dandelion had me cracking up

erika_d
December 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hmmm...let's see...

I turned my hair gray, not once, not twice, but THREE times dyeing it ash blonde

I've had bad short haircuts (although i do like my hair short, and generally have had good short cuts, some have been BAD)

I bleached my hair twice to get the dark brown dye out of it.

i permed it.

Roseate
December 12th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Roseate, that is too hilarious! Not to laugh at your misfortune, but your description of a radioactive dandelion had me cracking up

Oh, laugh away! :D I actually enjoyed having such a ridiculous looking license after a while, it always gave liquor-store clerks a chuckle.

Xandergrammy
December 12th, 2010, 05:27 PM
This is my ultimate gross hair story. It was about 37 years ago- 1972/73. One of my boyfriend's friends who had moved away to live in the mountains of New Hampshire was getting married. We drove up there and all the wedding guests camped out on the property. There was no tub or shower, so all of us (about 20 or so), on the morning of the wedding, went to the lake to bathe. There we were, all naked (of course, we were BATHING) and sharing a bottle of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Oil Soap. Anyway, we got all nice and clean and went back to the house for the wedding, which was outside with the mountains as a backdrop. Beautiful. Well, one of the wedding guests gifted the newlywed couple with a goat. I was sitting on the porch eating when all of a sudden, I felt a really odd tugging sensation . At that moment, my boyfriend says "The goat's eating your hair". Sure enough, this goat had my waistlength hair in his mouth (and down his throat??) up to my ears. Tyler was able to remove my hair from the goat intact, but you have never smelled such a stinky mess in your life! (and all I could do was rinse it with whatever water was handy because there was no running water and the lake was too far away!!). Ugh. I feel sick just writing about it and I make sure to stay away from goats now.

(P.S. I copied and pasted this from my blog, hence some unnecessary details. :gabigrin: )

C. sinensis
December 12th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hmm...well, after getting all excited about using the oil clensing method for my skin, I started wondering if it could be used for hair! Google was no help, so I decided what the heck, I'll try it. I didn't get the oil out of my hair for almost a week! :roll:

But hey, I knew that was a possibility, so I just wore it up and it looked fine. And on the plus side, it was an incredible deep conditioning! :D

joiekimochi
December 12th, 2010, 07:42 PM
When I had thick blunt bangs, I had to trim them regularly to keep them sharp and cute. One day I was impatient and thought it would be time-saving if I just gathered my bangs into a ponytail and hack it off at my eyebrows.

When I released the ponytail my bangs went diagonally up, starting from my brows on the right and ending an inch above my left brow.

I ran to my brother in despair. Convulsing with suppressed laughter, he suggested cutting my bangs straight. So I went and evened out my bangs so I had this mini-fringe an inch above my brows.

When my dad got home from work he looked at me and said, "Oh dear, I've got the village idiot in my house."

IcarusBride
December 12th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I decided to cut my own bangs in 6th grade, and I cut them too short, it looked ridiculous.

Then back in 2007 I decided I wanted to go from dyed-black hair to blonde, and let my friend, who dropped out of cosmetology school, do it for me... She applied THREE boxes of bleach to my hair that day, one after another. It was HIDEOUS! All of my hair was white, except for the ends which were highlighter-yellow and the very end was bright orange. My friend said "You know, a lot of people pay a lot of money for this look!" My hair was soooooo straw-like. And I had to go to work like that! When my boss saw me he told me to never show up at work looking like that again, just call out! Haha. I went and bought brown dye and had my mom put it in for me, and cut more than half of it off. Since that day I've never and will never dye my hair again! Luckily by now I'd trimmed out almost all if not all of that previously-dyed hair, I think I've got all-virgin hair now...

musicallberrii
December 12th, 2010, 08:09 PM
This is my ultimate gross hair story. It was about 37 years ago- 1972/73. One of my boyfriend's friends who had moved away to live in the mountains of New Hampshire was getting married. We drove up there and all the wedding guests camped out on the property. There was no tub or shower, so all of us (about 20 or so), on the morning of the wedding, went to the lake to bathe. There we were, all naked (of course, we were BATHING) and sharing a bottle of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Oil Soap. Anyway, we got all nice and clean and went back to the house for the wedding, which was outside with the mountains as a backdrop. Beautiful. Well, one of the wedding guests gifted the newlywed couple with a goat. I was sitting on the porch eating when all of a sudden, I felt a really odd tugging sensation . At that moment, my boyfriend says "The goat's eating your hair". Sure enough, this goat had my waistlength hair in his mouth (and down his throat??) up to my ears. Tyler was able to remove my hair from the goat intact, but you have never smelled such a stinky mess in your life! (and all I could do was rinse it with whatever water was handy because there was no running water and the lake was too far away!!). Ugh. I feel sick just writing about it and I make sure to stay away from goats now.

(P.S. I copied and pasted this from my blog, hence some unnecessary details. :gabigrin: )

Oh my gosh! I died laughing at this one.. I would be mortified if that happened to me! So gross!

boomtownrat
December 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I can't possibly approach the level of horror in Xandergrammy's story, but here goes! When I was in high school, I got a body wave put into my hair, which was in a bob just past chin at the time. What I wanted was bigger waves (my hair only tends to get wavy once it's at about shoulder length, or at least that was the case when I was 16). Well, I wound up with poodle curls. It was also dyed a very deep brown at that time and I had bangs, which had also been subjected to the curly treatment. :(

ETA: Oh yes, I also cut off the cowlick that's in my bangs once when I was about five, thinking that would be the best way to get rid of it. :roll:

christine1989
December 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I tried to cut my own hair once when I was about 6 or 7. The stylists where I got my hair cut made it look so easy that I thought it would be a breeze. I ended up with something that resembled a mullet on one side and a shag on the other. My mom took me to get it fixed but it was a good year before I had it looking normal again.

myria
December 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Not really a disaster but it really made me panic. Last year after reading about shea butter leave ins I decided to try it. Couldn't find shea butter here so decided cocoa butter would do instead. Got some, set the jar on a radiator so it warmed up then put some of the liquid through my hair (maybe 4 or 5 tbsp worth - enough to soak the ends). And put it in a bun like I would with oil as a treatment. When I took it down it had solidified. Like wax. :shocked: And the coils of the bun were stuck together and I couldn't get my hair untwisted!! I was panicking - thought i might have to get the scissors :scissors:
It washed out (thankfully)and Ive now quit putting stuff in my hair without instructions.

redwoman
December 12th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I dyed my hair black. Which was fine until I decided that my hair looked better red....so I let the dye grow out. I was black with this red stripe down the top of my hair. I looked like a mutated skunk!!! I stuck with it and grew it out to virgin hair but I looked ridiculous during the process and I will never do that to myself ever again!!

Xandergrammy
December 13th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Oh my gosh! I died laughing at this one.. I would be mortified if that happened to me! So gross!

This story is still a joke in my family. Whenever my hubby sees a goat, he says, "Better hide your braid, Leni"

milagro
December 13th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Oh it's bad but these stories are hilarious :D
Mine:
Loooong time ago. I was walking in a park with my then bf and he took pictures of me on various spots. We were like 2 weeks together and I laid myself out to be gorgeous and seductive :D There was a picturesque fallen tree and I leaned against it and let my hair roll all over it. The pic turned out magnificent but when I got up I discovered some of my hair was stuck to it and full of sap, the back of my shirt too. It's not that easy to be gorgeous with disheveled glued hair and a bf howling with laughter, on your hands I tell you.
PS At home I had to use lots of white spirit to remove the stuff off my hair.
So ladies beware of fallen trees! They may look dead but they're after your hair!

bonnie1735
December 13th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I cut my Dad's hair once ..... while he was sleep .... I was only 4 years old. He used to work swing shift at Dupont and would have to sleep during the day sometimes and I got hold of a pair of scissors and did a very bad job of cutting his hair. Then since he was such a good boy for being so still to get his hair cut ..... I decided to share my M&M's (candy) with him. So I poured a handfull into his mouth while he was still sleep. He about choked on the M&M's. So he wakes up finding me there with a bag of M&M's, a pair of scissors, hair & M&M's every where. He had the prettiest wavy, thick hair that all the women used to coment him on and I had cut it all different lengths. He ended up going and getting his head shaved and starting over.

Nastasia
December 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Mine:
Loooong time ago. I was walking in a park with my then bf and he took pictures of me on various spots. We were like 2 weeks together and I laid myself out to be gorgeous and seductive :D There was a picturesque fallen tree and I leaned against it and let my hair roll all over it. The pic turned out magnificent but when I got up I discovered some of my hair was stuck to it and full of sap, the back of my shirt too. It's not that easy to be gorgeous with disheveled glued hair and a bf howling with laughter, on your hands I tell you.
So ladies beware of fallen trees! They may look dead but they're after your hair!

Oof. I got sap in my hair once, right up near the roots. Shampoo wouldn't get it out, and this was at a campground, so my resources were a bit limited. Fortunately my friend's makeup wipes got it out. Those things are magic.

lapushka
December 13th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I don't have wild adventures to share, but I have definitely grown more careful around dye. Dye is not like clothing you pick out from one day to the next and that goes for both natural as well as chemical dye. A few years ago, some chemical dye ended up darker than it was supposed to even though processing time was respected. My scalp got burnt (and needed treatment), my hair was chemically cut in some places, and fell out in chunks in others. I'd been switching back and forth between natural dyes and chemical ones and there was even bleach involved at some point. My mother warned me every time, and I refused to listen. It's been a few years since there was dye on my head and it's probably going to stay that way for at least some years to come.

I ended up with a bob and at that time I'd almost gotten to BSL!

DARKMARTIAN
December 13th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I once got my hair wound up in a table top fan. I wanted to sound like a Transformer so I stuck my face there at the back so I could talk into it and my hair got sucked in..:o

MissyMel
December 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM
my hair is thick/coarse and wavy, i decided on the Japanese straightening method, i got it done 5 years ago, my hairdresser didn't tell me that u can't relax hair that is highlighted (blonde) - 6 hours later my long hair melted and wasss sooooo damaged to the root, i couldn't shave my head so i started trimming my hair ev 3 months, it eventually got healthy.

A year ago i decided to go for highlights again, i never learn, went to another hairdresser, did it too light, my natural hair colour is very dark brown, and it fried my hair...to the roots again, i got a bob, i'm so upset, i still have 2 inches of damage that i have to cut off:( it feels like my hair will never be long and healthy again.

musicallberrii
December 13th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Mine:

Sap is horrible! This one made me cringe!

musicallberrii
December 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I once got my hair wound up in a table top fan. I wanted to sound like a Transformer so I stuck my face there at the back so I could talk into it and my hair got sucked in..:o

Oh my lord.. haha. I busted out laughing at this! The mental image is just too hilarious!

All these stories are so great.. they're awful things, but at the same time its cracking me up!

NouvelleNymphe2
December 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
These stories are great! I'm glad I'm not the only one who refuses to learn the first time around. I have had many of the same mishaps with chemical dying, and have since totally quit the habit and encourage you all to do so as well! One particular story sticks out in my mind, but it really isn't my own. My little sister wanted to put highlights in her hair, and refused to go to a salon. My mother was convinced that it was easy enough, and said that she would do it for my sis. So they're in the kitchen with their chemical mix all ready, the application brush, some sheets, etc. and I'm just standing there saying I will have nothing to do with this. So my mom starts by applying very thickly the chemical dye, and trying her best to separate out "layers" near the front of my sister's face. 10 minutes later my sister is like, mom my scalp is on fire! And it really was, my mom had applied the chemical extremely thick and it was resting against my sister's scalp. So we had an emergency rinse because it was truly painful, and oh my goodness the results were horrifying! She had like one big clump of blonde right around the forehead. And it wasn't just blond it was like orange! We had to run to the store and buy a box of brown just to hold her over long enough to get to a salon and have her hair totally colored and redone. Poor thing, it was traumatic for her.

Intransigentia
December 13th, 2010, 01:20 PM
This didn't happen to my hair while it was attached to my head, but the goat story made me think of it.

Apparently cats that live with you will ingest your shed hairs from time to time. I have evidence these hairs are indigestible. Don't read any further if you're easily grossed out.

So my kitten was using the litterbox, and then there was a noise that startled him, and he took off running mid-poop. This was complicated by the fact that the poop in question seemed to have formed around a length of my hair, like a string of poop-beads, and when he started running, a good length of the hair had not yet been excreted. He trailed the string of poop-beads after him as he ran, which was even scarier than the noise that scared him in the first place, so he started jumping around, and the string of poop-beads started twirling like a poop-bola, which was still scarier to him.

He did eventually escape. I did eventually get all the poop off the carpet and the wall.

C. sinensis
December 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM
This didn't happen to my hair while it was attached to my head, but the goat story made me think of it.

Apparently cats that live with you will ingest your shed hairs from time to time. I have evidence these hairs are indigestible. Don't read any further if you're easily grossed out.

*snip*

Ahahahahaha! :laugh:
A good laugh always makes my day, even if it was gross. Thanks!

meggykins
December 13th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Hahahaha! That cat story is so funny, i couldnt stop laughing for several minutes!

PolarCathy
December 14th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Compared to what I have read in this thread mine is nothing. I was in a training camp and during the night, my roomates cut my hair just for fun. Obv unevenly. About 15 cm. So on the top of that it cost me because I had to go to the hairdresser to get a decent haircut. They also shaved my legs (I felt a little offended about that ;)) and I was so tired that I overslept the whole thing. I's good to have friends like that ;)

EmiliaF
December 14th, 2010, 10:51 AM
OMG!! They cut it 'just for fun'???

Most of the other stories were accidents... that's unfortunate... but cutting for fun is just pure evil :steam

If anyone ever did this to me... I can't even imagine what I'd do (.. of course I can, but that might be a little to graphic to share it here :D )

My hair got caught in a mixer once... after that I had waist length hair with a few pixie strands on the left side... :rant:

PolarCathy
December 14th, 2010, 10:59 AM
OMG!! They cut it 'just for fun'???

Most of the other stories were accidents... that's unfortunate... but cutting for fun is just pure evil :steam

If anyone ever did this to me... I can't even imagine what I'd do (.. of course I can, but that might be a little to graphic to share it here :D )

My hair got caught in a mixer once... after that I had waist length hair with a few pixie strands on the left side... :rant:

Yeah evil is the right word. We were like 14. My hair was in a thick long braid and they just cut the braid. But I am a forgiving person ;)

It wasn't that bad after all, I needed a haircut. I had some split ends but certainly not 15 cm (about 6''). : ))))) Actually I was lucky, another girl got a much worse haircut, a thick portion of her hair on the top of her head was cut off. She could do nothing but go short.

jojo
December 14th, 2010, 12:04 PM
The worse thing I did was try shaving my widows peak off, plus my side burns, plus my eyebrows......I was only 11 at the time but looked totally strange!

My daughter also shaved her sideburns and eyebrows off at 11 too (must be a family thing) we were sat on a train and I kept looking at her, wondering what was different when the penny dropped; " Emma have you shaved your eyebrows?" I asked her, "No" she replied, " you have" she then touched her eyebrows, went beetroot red and replied " they must have just come out!" ha ha still wind her up about it!

PolarCathy
December 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM
..she then touched her eyebrows, went beetroot red and replied " they must have just come out!" ha ha still wind her up about it!

: )))) Sweet! : ))

I did trim my eyelashes around that age because I wanted them to grow. I am not sure they grew. :D

Vorvolaka
December 14th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I was sitting a bit too close to a bonfire one time and some idiot put an accelerant on it. Cue Vorvolaka having singed hair on one side.

I've also tangled it up majorly on a round brush trying to create curls (I was very young). Almost had to get it cut off but lots of conditioner and my mum's epic patience prevented that.

AnnaJamila
December 14th, 2010, 01:05 PM
This made me laugh sooooooooooooooooooooooo hard!!!! OMiGosh!!!!!!!! Ahhahahaha!!!!

I cut my Dad's hair once ..... while he was sleep .... I was only 4 years old. He used to work swing shift at Dupont and would have to sleep during the day sometimes and I got hold of a pair of scissors and did a very bad job of cutting his hair. Then since he was such a good boy for being so still to get his hair cut ..... I decided to share my M&M's (candy) with him. So I poured a handfull into his mouth while he was still sleep. He about choked on the M&M's. So he wakes up finding me there with a bag of M&M's, a pair of scissors, hair & M&M's every where. He had the prettiest wavy, thick hair that all the women used to coment him on and I had cut it all different lengths. He ended up going and getting his head shaved and starting over.

Alvrodul
December 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM

This is just incredibly funny! Picture me rolling on the floor, laughing my head off! :blueeek: :laugh:

The things kids do! Poor dad!:laugh:

So my kitten was using the litterbox, and then there was a noise that startled him, and he took off running mid-poop. This was complicated by the fact that the poop in question seemed to have formed around a length of my hair, like a string of poop-beads, and when he started running, a good length of the hair had not yet been excreted. He trailed the string of poop-beads after him as he ran, which was even scarier than the noise that scared him in the first place, so he started jumping around, and the string of poop-beads started twirling like a poop-bola, which was still scarier to him.

He did eventually escape. I did eventually get all the poop off the carpet and the wall.

:rollin:

jenjen10
December 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I guess the worst thing I did (and wish I could say I was younger than I was to blame it on youth!) was shaving my hairline in front because I hate my low forehead. It actually wasn't too bad but the regrowth was kinda hard to hide!

Jeno86
December 20th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Tried to get a white streak in my hair. The hair was so damaged it literally crumbled when I toughed it. Lost a few inches of hair with that one.

DuckyDot
December 20th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Tangled my hair around a finger and had to get the scissors out :( Luckily no-one noticed.....

2peasinapod
December 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I guess the worst thing I did (and wish I could say I was younger than I was to blame it on youth!) was shaving my hairline in front because I hate my low forehead. It actually wasn't too bad but the regrowth was kinda hard to hide!

LOL, when I was ten, I tried to get rid of my widows peak by cutting the hairs of the point. It didn't work, and my parents and hairdresser gave me a really funny look when I had to get a haircut. And yes, the regrowth was awful!

MissCharizard
December 20th, 2010, 06:02 PM
When I was about 16 I tried to give myself a "hime" haircut which involved cutting the sides of your hair up to chin length and leaving it long. I cut too much and ended up having to cut my about APL hair to a bob. I cut the bob myself and my hair looked absolutely AWFUL. Not to mention I hate bobs on me. I was so upset!

joiekimochi
December 20th, 2010, 07:15 PM
When I was about 16 I tried to give myself a "hime" haircut which involved cutting the sides of your hair up to chin length and leaving it long. I cut too much and ended up having to cut my about APL hair to a bob. I cut the bob myself and my hair looked absolutely AWFUL. Not to mention I hate bobs on me. I was so upset!

Oh dear, despite the simplicity of the hime-cut, it needs a lot of skill and precision to make it look just perfect, plus a lot of maintenance! I had a hime-cut professionally done a few years ago and the upkeep, plus the severity of the cut (not very flattering), led me to soften the bangs and side-pieces into a wispier, less geometric cut.

LadyG
December 20th, 2010, 07:28 PM
These stories are great. When my sister was in Jr High School, she wanted to pluck her eyebrows. Needless to say, our Mother said no. She took a pair of scissors and attempted to cut them. She missed. She cut off half of her left eyelashes. I took months for them to grow back.
The worst things I ever did was get a perm, it was so curly and my hair is so fine you could see through it like a brillo pad. I hated it.
Last week I was using a dremel tool, and forgot to put my hair up. Yep, a one inch section in the front got caught in the darn thing. It was a dreadlock all the way up to my scalp. 15 minutes and conditioner later, I only had to cut the bottom inch off. It was knotted shut.

shawty
December 20th, 2010, 08:08 PM
A few different people have posted about this same problem before, but I need to talk about it as much as possible to get the word out so no one else makes the same mistake! I WISH I'd seen one of the other posts or threads about this before I tried it!

DO NOT EVER, EVER PUT GARLIC OR ONIONS ON YOUR HAIR.

I did it once, in one treatment. Yes I had a spurt of growth after that, but IT WAS NOT WORTH IT. It's been more than four months and the smell's not worn off yet. And that wasn't 4 months of just normal washing, it was four months of trying EVERYTHING I could come up with to get rid of the smell, sometimes washing my hair 5 times in a day! 5 different ways! For one person it took 11 months.

PLEASE DON'T DO IT. NOT EVEN ONCE.

misslicorice
December 20th, 2010, 09:24 PM
A few different people have posted about this same problem before, but I need to talk about it as much as possible to get the word out so no one else makes the same mistake! I WISH I'd seen one of the other posts or threads about this before I tried it!

DO NOT EVER, EVER PUT GARLIC OR ONIONS ON YOUR HAIR.

I did it once, in one treatment. Yes I had a spurt of growth after that, but IT WAS NOT WORTH IT. It's been more than four months and the smell's not worn off yet. And that wasn't 4 months of just normal washing, it was four months of trying EVERYTHING I could come up with to get rid of the smell, sometimes washing my hair 5 times in a day! 5 different ways! For one person it took 11 months.

PLEASE DON'T DO IT. NOT EVEN ONCE.

Oh no! I can only imagine how awful that would be! It's bad enough when the smell of onions/garlic gets on your hands after you chop them up. :shocked:
My horror story - I once put turquoise dye over my extremely faded pink hair, thinking it would turn out fine. Well, I ended up with a grayish greenish purple color! One of my more poetic friends called it "mermaid hair" but it was just awful.

owlathena
December 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Once my mom's hair caught on fire from standing too close to the menorah. My worst hair horror was just bleaching my entire head. There was some damage of course, and I really don't look good as a blonde.

rena
December 21st, 2010, 01:53 AM
Tried to flat iron my wet hair when I was 13...Yeah...

2peasinapod
December 21st, 2010, 03:56 AM
I remember that thread where it took that poor person eleven months to get the onion smell out of their hair! :shocked:!

I am also cringing at all the other stories. I was thinking that nothing could be worse than misslicorice's hair color disaster an then I read the hair and the menorah! :blueeek:

Kamama
December 21st, 2010, 12:47 PM
My sister, who is two-years younger than me, and I have always been a little hair obsessed. We always were trying to change our hair even while quite young. My sister was notorious for giving herself trims. My mama frequently had to fix her hair or take her to a salon to be fixed.

One time my sister decided to cut me some bangs. Unfortunately, I was napping at the time. When I awoke I had a two-inch section of hair 1.5 inches long. After one cut, she stopped! If this section had been in the front, I could have just gotten more cut to match and had bangs. The cut section, however, was two inches to the right of my temple! Not a good look for anyone...

My mother took me to the salon and consulted with the stylist. After much deliberation, they decided that a layered cut and a perm to fluff up and hide the missing section was the best option. It did look a lot better until the section started getting long and straight. I think I had a spot perm there later.

Princess89
December 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM
Bleaching my hair from black to blonde (very rarely professionally)...i can't remember how many times.

I've cut my fringe numerous times between the ages of 9 and 15, there was always one section that was about an inch shorter...my mum was always able to fix it after i'd hide it for a few days.

Mina83
December 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM
bleaching my hair from dark to....orange ! and two days ago, I was , once again, dying my hair into dark

MandyBeth
December 21st, 2010, 03:03 PM
My brothers and I convinced our sister that pinking shears would remove her curls. Then she just hadn't cut enough till it got to 1 - 3 inches all over. We were all old enough to know better, she's the baby and was 12 years old at the time.

SoulOfTheSea
July 17th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Me straightening my hair everyday for 3 years is a horror story in itself.... O_O

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 07:01 PM
My daughter also shaved her sideburns and eyebrows off at 11 too (must be a family thing) we were sat on a train and I kept looking at her, wondering what was different when the penny dropped; " Emma have you shaved your eyebrows?" I asked her, "No" she replied, " you have" she then touched her eyebrows, went beetroot red and replied " they must have just come out!" ha ha still wind her up about it!

lol :-) too funny !!

in the 70's I had the Farrah do, everytime it wouldn't "flip" I'd trim a little, well this one time I trimmed a bit too much so had to even it up on the other side, uck, all I can say is I must have had a bad scissor day that day, I wore a cap to hide it, after about the 3rd day my Mum was like 'have you over trimmed your hair' I said 'no' she took the cap off me and took me to the salon .. why do we do that ?? lie, when they know !! lol .. my daughter cuts her own hair, she feathers it and she is very good at it .. but she blowfrys and straightens and dyes and back combs and wears extentions - and wants hair like mine !! lol, she's a beautiful girl with a big heart .. :crush: my baby

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I've also tangled it up majorly on a round brush trying to create curls (I was very young). Almost had to get it cut off but lots of conditioner and my mum's epic patience prevented that.
oh, yeah this !!! I've done this .. major "how does that happen" why on earth do they still make this style of brush !!!

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 07:15 PM

*snap*

OMG - lol .. too funny :-)

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah evil is the right word. We were like 14. My hair was in a thick long braid and they just cut the braid. But I am a forgiving person ;)

It wasn't that bad after all, I needed a haircut. I had some split ends but certainly not 15 cm (about 6''). : ))))) Actually I was lucky, another girl got a much worse haircut, a thick portion of her hair on the top of her head was cut off. She could do nothing but go short.

friends like that are no friends of mine .. I really don't find things like that amusing no matter what age, there are other ways to amuse oneself when a "friend" is passed out .. I have seen pics of what can be done on the internet !! lol, they are funny if you don't know the people BUT I'm sure glad I never knew them ..

RitaCeleste
July 17th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Okay, as a kid I had nicer hair. Then it was 80's and time to try perms. Once I was getting one from best friend's grandma and she sprained her ankle while it was in my hair. She put it in setting rollers to try and make it look better. I tried washing it out, but I had a kinky fro, my grandfather died laughing after he saw me. My Grandma got straightener. It looked better but it went to frizz. So did the next perm. I peroxided it until it turned to elastic. So finally decided I was gonna grow it out natural virgin hair. I grew it out natural down to my waist. It was wavy so no brushing, just comb wet and finger comb. The hairdresser was feeling my hair and she actually cringed when I told her it was virgin hair. My natural texture is pretty coarse and rough and being natural was definitely not solving my hair problems. I decided to color it and actually felt better instead of worse. Maybe you can't get much worse than my natural hair? My first protein treatment was a horrible mess because I didn't know about deep conditioning and I came out looking like a Pomeranian. It bothers me most that growing out my hair natural was actually so bad for me. How unfair is that?

Mesmerise
July 17th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Hmm... the worst for me probably come from hairdressers lol. At the end of 2008 (not quite three years) I was having quite a few inches off to get rid of the worst bleach damage from having blonde foils in my hair. My hair was cut to SL, but it curls more when short so looked like a bob that wasn't quite touching shoulders. But that wasn't the problem. The problem was that the hairdresser who had cut my hair decided to dry it with a hairdryer...quite normal, true... but my hair doesn't dry fast enough apparently, so she held it too close to my hair and it was too hot and she literally FRIED the ends. Yes, the freshly trimmed ends. I went home and had to cut out all the frizzled fried bits, thus giving myself layers lol. Fortunately as I had enough waves/wurls at that length, you couldn't tell! (My hair seems to lose a lot of curl as it gets longer so it looks much straighter now).

The other hairdresser disaster I personally had was when I asked for long layers, meaning layers that were almost as long as my BSL+ length hair (couple of inches shorter, and some face framing ones) and I ended up with a thick chin length layer and other longer layers that made my ends really thin... not long after I must have chopped off 3" or so of the longest layer to the next layer because it was so ridiculously thin... *sigh*.

I remember one day during textiles class my friend decided to "trim" my fringe. Now, I always self trimmed, and did a fairly good job (it was always straight) and I never cut it too short (like above eyebrows)...and yet my friend did... so I ended up with this short fringe that made me feel sooooo self conscious for weeks afterwards!

Another friend trimmed her own fringe, but obviously lacked my ability to trim straight ;). She turned up to a friend's party with a fringe that was less than 1" long... she'd been trimming and trimming trying to get it straight and couldn't quite manage it!!

One of the worst things I did was tried to give my 9 or 10 year old sister an undercut. I didn't realise at the time that they did it with clippers, and thought they just cut it. I could NOT get it to look right... NOT AT ALL... lol. Fortunately it was an undercut so nobody saw it. Boy did I feel stupid when I realised you needed clippers to do it properly (although a trained hairdresser could probably do it with scissors I guess... obviously not my 13 year old self).

My other personal hair disasters weren't so much from bad cuts or things like that...but generally from over processing. There was one time when my hair was just breaking off when I ran my hands through it because it was soooo damaged. When I think back on what was done... it involved lots of dyeing, perming...straightening...and then perming again. I think it was that perm/straighten/perm that did it... Well it was actually straightened first by me (with perming solution that I did at home) and it worked okay but not perfectly, so I went to a hairdresser and got it straightened again. At this point it actually wasn't TOO bad... but the next perm I got did it in... then it was destroyed!

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 07:47 PM

LOL :-) this is funny ..

yes, I read backwards - from last post to first :D

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM

lol - reminds me of Denice the Menace ..

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 07:52 PM

lol .. boys and their toys !!

VanillaTresses
July 17th, 2011, 07:52 PM
My worst hair horror story ever happened when I slathered Vaseline into my hair in a desperate and misguided attempt to substitute something for mineral oil. I had used mineral oil in my hair before and it does come out after several shampoos. Stupidly, I thought that Vaseline would be the same thing as mineral oil and so before doing any research into it at all I had slathered a whole bunch (half a bottle?) into my poor, poor hair. It was beyond horrible. No amount of washing, powdering, paper toweling... you name it... could get it out. It was a living hair nightmare-- something that I never, ever wish to repeat.

Ladies & gents, for goodness sake, keep your hair away from Vaseline AT ALL COSTS!

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM
What really made this a great move is that I did it the day before getting my drivers' license picture taken... so I had to have a picture of myself looking like a radioactive dandelion in my wallet for ten years!

OMG !! hilarious :D

Mesmerise
July 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM
My worst hair horror story ever happened when I slathered Vaseline into my hair in a desperate and misguided attempt to substitute something for mineral oil. I had used mineral oil in my hair before and it does come out after several shampoos. Stupidly, I thought that Vaseline would be the same thing as mineral oil and so before doing any research into it at all I had slathered a whole bunch (half a bottle?) into my poor, poor hair. It was beyond horrible. No amount of washing, powdering, paper toweling... you name it... could get it out. It was a living hair nightmare-- something that I never, ever wish to repeat.

Ladies & gents, for goodness sake, keep your hair away from Vaseline AT ALL COSTS!

Ooooh yes!!!! Vaseline is BAD! I put it in part of my hair to stop henna from getting on that streak, and it was JUST a streak...and it was soo hard to get out lol. I slathered it in cornflour which is supposed to help remove it, and I washed it lots of times with CO or with clarifying shampoo and so on and so forth and it took days before it wasn't greasy anymore. I can't imagine how bad it would be to cover your whole head in it!!

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 08:02 PM

lol .. I live rural and we once had a goat .. man, they eat anything !! this is very off topic, but our goat had this thing for Mulberry leaves and we also had a chilly bush my mean children would wrap a chilly in a leaf and feed it to the "Nanny" goat and laugh at her "hot mouth" antics, she always came back for more !! :-)

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 08:08 PM
It bothers me most that growing out my hair natural was actually so bad for me. How unfair is that?

awwwww :confused: lol

wvgemini
July 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM
The goat and the kitten had me rolling! :lol: too funny!!!

I guess the worst I ever did was when I was about 20. I was still active duty and decided to dye my red hair back to blonde. By myself. Needless to say, I ended up with pink hair. I had to go to work the next day and we had physicals. I went in first and one of my friends was in an hour or so later. Our doc (we saw the same one at the post clinic all the time) asked her "What the heck did she do to her hair?!" :justy: Needless to say, I went to a dark brown that night.

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Hmm... the worst for me probably come from hairdressers lol.

I think it was that perm/straighten/perm that did it... Well it was actually straightened first by me (with perming solution that I did at home) and it worked okay but not perfectly, so I went to a hairdresser and got it straightened again. At this point it actually wasn't TOO bad... but the next perm I got did it in... then it was destroyed!

LOL :-) after LHC I agree ..

OMG !! you didn't know what you wanted, curly or straight ..

Slinks
July 17th, 2011, 08:17 PM

wow !! thank you for that warning .. who would have known ..

Leucothea
July 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
RitaCeleste! You and me both!! My hair in it's natural state is... Well. Scary. But when I got it dyed a slightly darker shade than my natural color it turned from Beast to Beauty! Go figure. I always hear people saying how awful dye is for your hair, but I find my hair loves dye.

Flossy
July 17th, 2011, 09:35 PM

That can happen with babies too. 'nuff said. ;)

brielle87
July 17th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Hi there all, I am a new member, but thought I would share a horror story about my hair.

First off, I have mostly had long hair my whole life, mid back to knees depending on my age; two shoulder length cuts along the way also.

But when I was in my mid-teens and my hair was almost to my waist, I noticed on the top of my head, to the right toward the front, I was missing a patch of hair about 3in/7.5 cm in diameter. I was also missing hair at the nape of my neck on the right side also roughly the same size. I was so devastated and did not know what to do, except wear my hair in a low ponytail over to the right side behind my ear. This was to conceal the missing hair in both areas.
My mother took me to the doctor, who referred my to a Dermatologist, who diagnosed my with Alopecia areata, and had to give me a series of cortisone shots directly to the scalp in both areas.
Thank heavens within a week I had these baby fine hairs growing in both areas. I have never been so happy in my life.
My mother always says this is probably the reason I will not ever cut my hair, nor take it for granted. I have since that time take fastidious care of my hair and treat it very kindly.

leoninnu
July 17th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Well, well... First one happened when I was a small kid. I think I had just seen a picture of hair model, with her hair stiffened with products and then this shape cut in to the middle of the hair. The sort of one time only styles. Well, I decided to try it out. Except I had no idea what a hairspray or styling mousse was... Luckily I only tried it on my bangs which looked quite ridiculous for some time.

Then I had this really bad itch on the back of my head on some holiday when we were driving back home from somewhere in our car. I was sitting in the back seat and suddenly I noticed that the seat was made out of very nice material to rub my head against to take the itch away. So I did. I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed... When we got home the horrible truth dawned to me. I had this huge tangled ball of hair on the back of my head as a result. It was almost impossible to untangle it. It certainly took lots of tears and screaming.

Then I too, of course, have once decided that I can cut my own hair short. How hard can it be? The result was such that had I robed myself in brown I would have probably been a very convincing monk...

Slinks
July 18th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Then I too, of course, have once decided that I can cut my own hair short. How hard can it be? The result was such that had I robed myself in brown I would have probably been a very convincing monk...

:lol: that image !!!

WillOTree
September 22nd, 2017, 02:01 PM
Never thought I would have one. Now I do! I went to fantastic sams to get bangs cut in, and she didn't gather enough hair and it looked ridiculous. I then went to a different salon after I tried to fix the bangs and took too much off, and asked for a short layered bob. I had a bad feeling and should have left before she cut it off because she just took it up to my chin and didn't blend it with the back at ALL. It was so boxy. I then went back to fantastic sams and asked for it to be fixed and she seemed so peeved that I didn't like the bangs she cut, so she kind of blended the back but still didn't blend it with the front. I left with two different haircuts.

Today I went to Aveda in dire hopes that someone could fix it. The woman who cut it (bless her!) kept exclaiming "What did she do? What did she Do?!?!?!" There was a part under my ear that had a whole peice missing, nothing was point cut so it had no movement and made it boxy, and one side was longer than the other. But she fixed it all! I am sooooo happy I found someone who listened AND knew what she was doing.

Dendra
September 22nd, 2017, 03:17 PM
Never thought I would have one. Now I do! I went to fantastic sams to get bangs cut in, and she didn't gather enough hair and it looked ridiculous. I then went to a different salon after I tried to fix the bangs and took too much off, and asked for a short layered bob. I had a bad feeling and should have left before she cut it off because she just took it up to my chin and didn't blend it with the back at ALL. It was so boxy. I then went back to fantastic sams and asked for it to be fixed and she seemed so peeved that I didn't like the bangs she cut, so she kind of blended the back but still didn't blend it with the front. I left with two different haircuts.

Today I went to Aveda in dire hopes that someone could fix it. The woman who cut it (bless her!) kept exclaiming "What did she do? What did she Do?!?!?!" There was a part under my ear that had a whole peice missing, nothing was point cut so it had no movement and made it boxy, and one side was longer than the other. But she fixed it all! I am sooooo happy I found someone who listened AND knew what she was doing.

Oh thank goodness! I'm glad that had a happy ending...it was not looking good for a minute there.

I'm sure a hairdresser took their bad day out on my hair once too.

WillOTree
September 22nd, 2017, 03:52 PM
Oh thank goodness! I'm glad that had a happy ending...it was not looking good for a minute there.

I'm sure a hairdresser took their bad day out on my hair once too.

I was really starting to think I couldn't find anyone to fix it.

I think she's just inexperienced (I hope) because it was the second time she cut my hair unevenly (the one who tried to correct it). With short hair it was SO noticeable.

I know people have gotten worse, but I was so miffed.
I have my bangs pulled back in the second pic, but look at the bottom!
https://i.imgur.com/hfFAfdu.jpg

Dendra
September 22nd, 2017, 04:52 PM

I think she's just inexperienced (I hope) because it was the second time she cut my hair unevenly (the one who tried to correct it). With short hair it was SO noticeable.

Oh my goodness!! That is sooo uneven, how could she let you leave the salon like that? I feel like I could do a better job myself. The pic on the left is looking great though :)

Mrstran
September 23rd, 2017, 07:32 AM
When I was 14, I dyed my hair black twice. After the second dye session while rinsing I lost a ton of hair in the drain. I didn't really care but soon changed my mind about the color and attempted to remove the dye. I was left looking like a calico cat. (Sp?) Red patches, black patches, orange and yellow. I had spots and stripes! I had to wait to try and strip it again, so my sister came to the rescue. She said maybe if we layered it, it could look at least a little better. Little did I know, she had zero experience with scissors. She "layered" ..no.. more like cut STEPS on each side of my head. Imagine the first step being your bangs, and the last step being at your ends in the back. Stairs!! It was so bad that when my mom seen it, she immediately took me to a salon. It ended up really nice, somehow.

Snackpackdino
September 23rd, 2017, 07:33 AM

Dang, that's an uneven cut!

I had a similar experience, I wanted to get my bob trimmed and ended up with one side being 5cm shorter than the other. As a bonus I got one blunt, short, thick "layer" that wasn't blended and it was just standing there. :/

Twig
September 23rd, 2017, 06:35 PM
When I went to Navy basic training, we weren't allowed to have hair past the lower edge of our collars when it was combed straight down. (I don't know what's allowed now.) Anyway, the "stylist" whose chair I ended up in went a little extreme and I went from APL to pixie. I lost a lot of hair all at once. It was August in Orlando, FL and it was a lot cooler, but it was a shock.It's really burned my on stylists who think now that I'm middle aged I should go short. Once we were out of boot camp, we could wear it in an updo but you couldn't have "bobby pin shine" or visible loose hair ends. That was a difficult transition.

Jo Ann
September 23rd, 2017, 08:05 PM

OMG, can I RELATE!

I was about eight-years-old at the time, and I got it into my head that I, too, could have a pompadour like my male cousin, Lee, so I took a jar of Vaseline into the bathroom and slathered it into my hair. Went to bed and, when Mom saw it the next morning, she tried to comb it into my usual style (another pixie, growing out) and gave up, putting it up into a ponytail--and Mom always pulled my ponytails slanty-eyed TIGHT!

When I got home, she started washing my hair to get the Vaseline out--she washed it, and washed it, and washed it, and washed it some more. When it dried, I looked like I had stuck my finger in the electric socket and lived to tell the tale!

I never did get the pompadour thing correct, either :(

Jo Ann
September 23rd, 2017, 08:10 PM
Mine is just standard-issue idiocy; I attempted to bleach my hair to platinum, resulting in vibrant baby-chicken yellow hair that snapped off near my scalp and poofed up in an Einstein-like 'do.

Oh, what a deterrent to getting a ticket! What I mean is, you didn't do anything that would get you in trouble. :tmi:

Did you?

StartingFrom0
September 23rd, 2017, 09:47 PM
So I was in high school and I guess I had some issues because I randomly decided to dye my long hair black , then cut uneven layers with a rasor, keep cutting, eventually having to cut it into an emo bob style up to my ears and yeah...this is how my social life died.

Stray_mind
September 24th, 2017, 12:51 AM
When i was a child, i decided that i could curl my hair with the round hair brush..

Long story short, it had to be cut out by the very roots of my hair.

Another time we were out camping and i was using a match to light our gas stove. I lighted it and blew the match out, Or so i thought. My head got an itch and i reatched to scratch it while still holding the match which i thought i blew out, in my hand. Then my friend who was next to me said "Your hair is burning!". And it Was! Only one small strand, but still scary.

And the other time,when i still used to smoke, my friend was lighting my cigarette and my strand got caught on fire again.

Salwety
September 24th, 2017, 06:30 AM
In my early twenties I went to the salon to have a deep treatment and straightening. When the "specialist" was about to rinse the conditioner off, he opened the water and put it right on my head without testing its temperature with his hand. It was really really hot that I even couldn't scream. I just sit there and tears were pouring out of my eyes. It was horrible. I couldn't bare to have a comb near my head or even finger comb, so I asked him ( by gesturing I wasn't able to speak) to cut it short just below my ear. He did as I said. Ironically he asked me to pay for the deep treatment and the hair cut. And I was almost unconscious, unable to speak, and just wanted to go home I paid. ( I wish if I had punched him instead).
For days my head was radiating heat, headache, and my scalp was full of burning splitzers, and I was crying involuntarily.
Eventually I recovered and it didn't leave a scare or bald patch. it is full of hair as it should be.

Dendra
September 24th, 2017, 08:34 AM
In my early twenties I went to the salon to have a deep treatment and straightening. When the "specialist" was about to rinse the conditioner off, he opened the water and put it right on my head without testing its temperature with his hand. It was really really hot that I even couldn't scream. I just sit there and tears were pouring out of my eyes. It was horrible. I couldn't bare to have a comb near my head or even finger comb, so I asked him ( by gesturing I wasn't able to speak) to cut it short just below my ear. He did as I said. Ironically he asked me to pay for the deep treatment and the hair cut. And I was almost unconscious, unable to speak, and just wanted to go home I paid. ( I wish if I had punched him instead).
For days my head was radiating heat, headache, and my scalp was full of burning splitzers, and I was crying involuntarily.
Eventually I recovered and it didn't leave a scare or bald patch. it is full of hair as it should be.

That is so awful! I'm angry on your behalf :steam I think I'm angry because I know I would have done the same, just paid up and left.

Salwety
September 24th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Thank you Dendra but don't be angry. These are all lessons we had to learn the hard way. And now we share it so others might not fall for it. For instance I will not let a goat near my hair ever :D
And regarding the part that I paid and left it is a part of me that avoid conflicts even if this means standing up for myself. Not something I am proud of but this is me.

Dendra
September 24th, 2017, 11:06 AM
That is me too! I avoid conflict at all costs, and most of the time I berate myself afterwards for letting people get away with things. But hey, it's better than being someone who seeks conflict out. And lol re the goat ;) that story is amazing!

Beeboo123
September 24th, 2017, 11:28 AM
I had waist length hair when I was 6. I had a quarrel with my sister, so my mother grabbed me by half my hair (the hair on the left side of my head), pulled me away, and in a swift stroke, snipped off that hair. Ended up with barely shoulder length hair on my left, and waist length hair on my right. I wasn't allowed to get a haircut for months.

Unsurprisingly, for years, I would cry whenever my mother made me get a haircut.

on_my_neurons23
October 6th, 2017, 03:06 AM
For my 13th birthday ,i went to pizzahut with my friends.At the time i had mid back length hair and short layers in the front (from growing out a terrible fringe).I leant over to blow out my candles and my short layers flew into my candles and caught fire!It was only for a second but everyone was laughing ,including me.Suprisingly i didn't experience much hair damage.

Jas
October 6th, 2017, 03:34 AM
Omg beeboo that's horrifying :( I actually think that's pretty cruel to do to a kid.

My hair horror story is probably when I got it done for my wedding - I was in another country and went to my mother in laws hairdresser there.. She ended up making my hair way lighter than I wanted and completely annihilated it with bleach. It felt awful for a long time afterwards.. Sadly I still didn't learn my lesson with bleach until the beginning of this year!

valkyrie90
October 6th, 2017, 04:03 AM
I got so drunk that I vomitted on my own hair . It was a real horror. Felt like a rat died on my hair. Ahh !

lapushka
October 6th, 2017, 05:45 AM
For my 13th birthday ,i went to pizzahut with my friends.At the time i had mid back length hair and short layers in the front (from growing out a terrible fringe).I leant over to blow out my candles and my short layers flew into my candles and caught fire!It was only for a second but everyone was laughing ,including me.Suprisingly i didn't experience much hair damage.

Wow, candles can be dangerous! I'd be careful in the future.

Welcome to the forum, BTW! :)

Joyful Mystery
October 6th, 2017, 09:59 AM

My youngest DS tried using Vaseline in place of hair gel once. He definitely regretted his decision and has never done that again, lol.

on_my_neurons23
October 7th, 2017, 05:19 AM
Wow, candles can be dangerous! I'd be careful in the future.

Welcome to the forum, BTW! :)

They are!It was years ago and id fry my hair with straighteners daily anyway so i weren't very bothered by it.
And hi!thank you!:D:D

embee
October 7th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Many years ago when my babies were little, I got tired of them pulling on my normally stick straight long hair all the time so got a short cut and a perm. OMGoodness, what a shock. Every time I saw a reflection of myself in the mirror at home I'd think, "Who is that????" - as it looked like a stranger was in my house. And yes, it really looked awful, I had old snapshots to prove it. Ugh. Took a long time to grow out too. :( Never again.

Shorty89
October 7th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Many years ago when my babies were little, I got tired of them pulling on my normally stick straight long hair all the time so got a short cut and a perm. OMGoodness, what a shock. Every time I saw a reflection of myself in the mirror at home I'd think, "Who is that????" - as it looked like a stranger was in my house. And yes, it really looked awful, I had old snapshots to prove it. Ugh. Took a long time to grow out too. :( Never again.

I think we need to see those photos. :P

queenbee1
October 7th, 2017, 09:35 AM
I think we need to see those photos. :P

I second it! :P

YvetteVarie
October 9th, 2017, 06:59 AM
I decided to get my hair bleached and dyed when I was in university just for the fun of it. I also had a relaxer, and the stylist had warned me I had to keep up with my deep conditioning to keep my hair the Christmas break, I wasn't able to keep up with the deep treatment regimen. After 3 weeks of not deep conditioning, I had no hair left in the back of my head. I ended up getting a big chop, and from then on I started taking better care for my hair. I also stopped bleaching my hair.

Stepo_NiNha
October 9th, 2017, 08:43 AM
When I was 16 I did a hair perm in my hairdresser. Never went there again. First, I didn't like to see curly hair on me. I love curls but they're not for me and I realized that after this mistake. One month later the curls totally disappeared and my hair was all strawlike, shapeless, dull and poofy.

I had to cut it all my WL to Chin and kept that length until the damage was all gone.

During my 20's I coloured my hair. Although it could be a little drier than virgin hair it was not a problem. In 2014 (age 25) I straightened my hair and all those old signs of damaged hair I had when my hair was permed came back but not as bad. Enough... lesson learned.

Now my hair is virgin, I'm going to grow it to waist again and I won't touch it!

lapushka
October 12th, 2017, 09:01 AM
When I was 16 I did a hair perm in my hairdresser. Never went there again. First, I didn't like to see curly hair on me. I love curls but they're not for me and I realized that after this mistake. One month later the curls totally disappeared and my hair was all strawlike, shapeless, dull and poofy.

I had to cut it all my WL to Chin and kept that length until the damage was all gone.

During my 20's I coloured my hair. Although it could be a little drier than virgin hair it was not a problem. In 2014 (age 25) I straightened my hair and all those old signs of damaged hair I had when my hair was permed came back but not as bad. Enough... lesson learned.

Now my hair is virgin, I'm going to grow it to waist again and I won't touch it!

Sounds like something to hold yourself to! :thumbsup:

I had my fair share of perms. The thing for me is, curls are so much easier than the texture I have now. So I loved my perms, all 5 of them or so I had in my life-time (well, at least under 10). With my own hair? Sometimes my nape spirals, sometimes it falls flat. Sometimes I can enhance what's there, other times, not so much. Natural hair is wily. LOL

Jo Ann
October 12th, 2017, 01:16 PM
When I was about 15, I was experimenting with ponytails and curly tendrils in front of my ears. To make a long story short, the long hair in front of my ears came to a point, so I decided to trim it so the hair would be straight. Bad move. First one side was shorter than the other, so I tried to even it up; then the OTHER side was shorter, and on and on. By the time I got done, I went from just longer than APL to cheekbone--one side was above my cheekbones and the other side was just below. I put the scissors down (finally!) and worked on finding a way to hide my mistake. I hid my mistake by bobby-pinning my hair over my ears and combing the rest of my hair over the bobby pins.

All was well the next day, until I was notified at school that my Dear Nana was picking me up and I was not taking the bus home. She said my hair was messy and handed me a comb to fix it. She noticed the bobby pins while I was combing it and asked me what I had done. I showed her. Wouldn't you know it--it was "OMG! We CAN'T have that! It looks like Hell!" and off we went to The Dreaded Beauty Salon to have it "fixed."

Of course, working with my mistake (long layers would've been nice, but noOOoo) was out of the question. Thirty minutes later, I walked out, in tears, with ANOTHER pixie. :agape:

No wonder I'm just now trusting myself with trimming my hair.

Vanille_
October 12th, 2017, 01:24 PM
I think the worst thing I ever did to my hair was dye it black. I'm pale as all hell. Like, ghost white. It was NOT a pretty contrast. Then of course I went to a salon later and was told they'd have to "remove" the hair color. Lesson learned.

longmane
October 20th, 2017, 10:24 PM
I have curly hair and straighten it twice a year. In August this year, I straightened the 2nd time in 2017 and I put oil in my hair before I straightened it. I also had to pass the flat iron over some parts more than once. After I washed my hair I had straight pieces all over the top layer that I had to cut to shoulder length while the rest of my hair is MBL. Now I have one layer in my hair and I don't want to get a haircut now I would rather let it grow. All I can say is a learnt a lesson to not straighten my hair again.

RottenMango
April 27th, 2019, 02:38 AM
My hair had a texturizer put into it and was then relaxed from root to tip twice over the course of a year with relaxer touch ups in between. It gave my hair a hideous texture and feel.

Begemot
April 27th, 2019, 04:56 AM
A hairdresser once used a flatiron on my damp hair :( She kept saying that it's okay but the steam rising from my hair and the weird smell made me so uncomfortable. I'm just glad I'm now old and confident enough to firmly decline any service I don't want done to my hair.

forestwizard
April 29th, 2019, 09:58 PM
I have a childhood friend who spent her teens years CONSTANTLY bleaching and dyeing her hair. Every time I saw her, or a Facebook picture she had a new color. And for what it's worth, while her hair was damaged, she DID learn a lot about dyeing and was an expert in my eyes.

So at 16, my sister and I decided to dye our bangs over the summer. I had recently gotten crazy over hair care and was trying to grow out my hair as long as possible, so I figured I'd just do a dark blue over my brown hair, then gradually wash out it, with no damage!

Problem was, I asked my friend to do it, since she was the expert. I had never dyed my hair before and had NO clue about bleach, or "true color"; so when my friend said she had to bleach out my full blunt fringe and two long strips from behind my ears, I just said "okay!"

When I saw my dark brown hair turning sunflower yellow I finally realized what I had done and started to panic, but I didn't want to freak out and upset my friend. While I still had bleach on my hair, our moms checked in on us in the bathroom, and my mother and I had a crazy moment where we both wanted to freak out, but could tell the other one was about to freak out, and so kept cool to keep the other one calm.

And it turns out the dark blue dye over the crayola yellow produced a bright turquoise. My hair was about apl, and now my full blunt bangs and two inch-wide strips under my ears were bright turquoise. I felt like a discount anime character; in hindsight it was kinda cute and fun, but it was just so much NOT what I wanted for my hair I was really upset.

Looking back, I wish I had told my friend I wasn't upset with her, I was just angry at myself for being so stupid and not knowing basic dyeing techniques.

End of the story is that for the next three days I aggressively shampooed out as much of the turquoise as possible. Then my mom over-dyed it with a box brown that matched the rest of my hair, and did a perfect job. Over the next few years I just naturally trimmed away the bleached sections and would over dyed them with brown if they got too light.

The silver lining of the story is that in the end one terrible dye job didn't really affect my hair; it was healthy enough that I didn't notice any difference between the bleached and virgin sections. And now I tend to take things in stride because no matter how bad a situation might seem, there's probably a solution and no one but you will know the difference.

Haven
April 30th, 2019, 01:37 AM
When I was about 15, I was experimenting with ponytails and curly tendrils in front of my ears. To make a long story short, the long hair in front of my ears came to a point, so I decided to trim it so the hair would be straight. Bad move. First one side was shorter than the other, so I tried to even it up; then the OTHER side was shorter, and on and on. By the time I got done, I went from just longer than APL to cheekbone--one side was above my cheekbones and the other side was just below. I put the scissors down (finally!) and worked on finding a way to hide my mistake. I hid my mistake by bobby-pinning my hair over my ears and combing the rest of my hair over the bobby pins.

Just did something similar (but not quite as bad) on impulse :doh: I had layers in the front put in at a salon about half a year ago and thought I could just even them out. Have an odd cheekbone-length small piece on just one side now. It's not that bad with my bangs, but I think I need to keep away from the scissors for a while and just let the whole thing grow out.

Begemot
May 1st, 2019, 01:59 AM
Very small moment of horror, and it didn't even happen to me... My sister managed to make a tough looking tangle while she played with her hair. She showed it to me and was just like "oh dear, look at that! hehe" and pulled the knot even tighter :justy: I was so anxious for her and her hair. Nothing funny about tangles, sis :lol:

Aerya
May 1st, 2019, 02:33 AM
I've had so many mishaps but one incident really stuck with me. I was in the process of bleaching my already processed hair blonde, and I had gotten my hair light enough that I figured I only needed a few more levels of lift to reach my goal. My hair didn't feel that bad, so I got a bit cocky, and the colour was this horrible brassy gold/canary yellow that I didn't want to keep for longer than necessary, so after a few days I figured I'd bleach again. When I got to the store they didn't have the bleach kit I had been using up to that point, but it was just before closing time and I was impatient, so I grabbed a Schwarzkopf one. Big mistake! In retrospect I shouldn't have bleached my hair more at all at that point, and certainly not that soon, and definitely not with a crappy bleach kit that I hadn't tried before.

Fast forward to stepping out of the shower after rinsing it out, and my hair was soggy, slimy goop. It felt so, so bad. Even after a protein treatment and heavy duty moisturizer, it felt like gum. What's worse, when I tried touching it, big chunks just fell out. I made a very careful attempt at detangling the mess and the sink was full of hair; I ended up just leaving it, not detangling at all for a few days, and then just very carefully using my fingers for a long time. Even with this, I'd have pieces just snap off and I lost so much of my thickness. The lengths looked like straw, thin, frizzy, limp straw hanging down my back. To make things worse, my hair was so unevenly damaged from having different amounts of processing throughout, so when I tried to tone the colour it grabbed onto the toner in some places, turning various hues of grey and lilac, while others stubbornly remained yellow.

Typing this out made me really appreciative of my current hair, for all its flaws, lol. I still get anxious whenever I lose a lot of hair at the same time.