PDA

View Full Version : Dissolving Caffeine Powder

sasimi
December 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I'm looking for a way to make my own caffeine topical. Basicallly, looking for some kind of (cheap) liquid, that is also easily absorbed in the scalp[so no water]. Any ideas?

Anje
December 12th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Caffeine's water-souble, so you're not going to have much luck if you want to mix it in oil. Maybe lotion?

Fractalsofhair
December 12th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Water should be easily absorbed. Make the concentration fairly strong and only apply a small amount?

sasimi
December 13th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I see, but water doesn't dissolve the powder easily. I've already tried boiling water, still not enough though. =(

Anje
December 13th, 2010, 04:05 PM
That's bizarre. It's supposed to be really water soluble. (2.17 g/100 ml (25 °C); 18.0 g/100 ml (80 °C); 67.0 g/100 ml (100 °C) according to Wikipedia) And you probably shouldn't be applying more than say, 500mg to your skin at any given time, because it will absorb and hit your bloodstream within a few minutes. Even that much would give you a pretty good buzz unless you normally have coffee injected intravenously.

I'm wondering what you have, or if it has some insoluble carrier debasing it. Be careful with the stuff -- too strong a concentration on your skin will give you a serious case of the jitters!