PDA

View Full Version : Oils for Curls? Help!

jesis
December 12th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Okay, so a while ago, before I came to LHC, I went to Beauty Brands and asked them for something that would moisturize my curls because I've noticed a little bit of frizz with the colder weather. They sent me home with some stuff, but it ended up leaving my curls droopy and lifeless. NOT WHAT I NEED!

What can I put in my hair that won't weigh it down, but will moisturize it and get rid of the frizz? I use a little bit of gel after showering and some argon oil, but it isn't cutting it.

Will CO help get rid of the frizz? I plan on starting it, against the advice of my stylist.

Will doing my honey/evoo treatments more often make my hair stringy? I had that experience in the past, but my hair wasn't nearly as dry.

Could the frizz be from damage? I don't see much when I look at it, but could I be missing something?

I would appreciate any advice! Thanks :D

chopandchange
December 12th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Frizz isn't always due to lack of moisture. Sometimes frizz just is.

(Hmm..maybe i should make that my new signature. LOL)

I have frizzy hair and it's very nice and miosturised thanks to doing CO. It's also smoother, but not entirely frizz-free. Before CO, it was even frizzier but the frizz was partly due to dryness and partly just because, well, that's just the way my hair is - frizzy!

P.S. Why does your stylist think you shouldn't do CO? Has he / she not heard of it before? It's not a "conventional" practice so I wouldn't be surprised if they advise you against it, but I say go ahead and try it anyway!

jesis
December 12th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Frizz isn't always due to lack of moisture. Sometimes frizz just is.

(Hmm..maybe i should make that my new signature. LOL)

I have frizzy hair and it's very nice and miosturised thanks to doing CO. It's also smoother, but not entirely frizz-free. Before CO, it was even frizzier but the frizz was partly due to dryness and partly just because, well, that's just the way my hair is - frizzy!

P.S. Why does your stylist think you shouldn't do CO? Has he / she not heard of it before? It's not a "conventional" practice so I wouldn't be surprised if they advise you against it, but I say go ahead and try it anyway!

I love your signature already! Lol, every time I see it it makes me laugh.

I have never had frizzy hair and I refuse to submit!

I am definitely going to try CO. My stylist told me "NEVER condition your hair without washing it first" and she gave me one of those looks like "YOU WILL DIE IF YOU DO THAT". So I just didn't. Haha.

chopandchange
December 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM
But you ARE going to be washing it. Just not with shampoo. :)

You know that, right? It doesn't mean you skip the "washing" step; it means you use conditioner to wash your scalp with, as if it were shampoo. Then, if you want to, you put MORE conditioner on afterwards, on the lengths of your hair this time, like you normally do. It's much milder than shampoo so it doesn't dry out your hair, but with some vigorous rubbing with your fingertips, you still get that squeaky-clean feeling. (I apologise if you know all that already, but from your hairdresser's reaction, either you didn't explain it properly or else she misunderstood and thought you were going to stop washing your scalp).

P.S. You don't HAVE to tell your hairdresser (or anyone else) that you are giving up shampoo. Most people's reaction is "yuck!" because they think your hair will not be clean (they only think that due to ignorance, because they've never tried it themselves - that's what I thought when I first heard about it). It's sometimes best not to tell people. There's this one lady I know who keeps touching my hair and gushing over it and asking how I get it so soft. I just tell her "I use a lot of conditioner" which is certainly true! If I told her "I've stopped using shampoo" she would probably jump away in disgust and suddenly decide that my oh-so-soft and pretty hair was now disgusting. LOL

milagro
December 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM
My 2 cents: From what I learned here oils don't moisturize rather than help keeping the water already in the hair. Mere oiling won't do the trick if your hair lacks water. So I think you need combo moisturizing treatment + oil. I liked Caramel Treatment (my own light version) very much, you may search it and other similar DTs in the Recipes.

CO does a good job to keep hair moisturized and minimize frizz. I've been less than 3 weeks into it and I can see the difference already. HTH

GrowingGlory
December 12th, 2010, 02:14 PM
A light moisturizing mist (Kimberlily's Antifrizz, aloe mixed with a little light oil and diluted with water) might reduce frizz.

jesis
December 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM
But you ARE going to be washing it. Just not with shampoo. :)

You know that, right? It doesn't mean you skip the "washing" step; it means you use conditioner to wash your scalp with, as if it were shampoo. Then, if you want to, you put MORE conditioner on afterwards, on the lengths of your hair this time, like you normally do. It's much milder than shampoo so it doesn't dry out your hair, but with some vigorous rubbing with your fingertips, you still get that squeaky-clean feeling. (I apologise if you know all that already, but from your hairdresser's reaction, either you didn't explain it properly or else she misunderstood and thought you were going to stop washing your scalp).

Yeah she knew what CO was and she told me not to do it, but I've only ever heard good things about it. That's why I brought it up to her. I also asked her about starting Deva Curl products and she told me that they would do more harm than good for my hair if I "didn't use them right". So I shied away from that as well.

I did know that it cleansed your hair as well, but I'm not 100% sure how to do it. Is is something I should do every day? I'm washing my curls almost every day now because I can't seem to get good second day curls and my bangs are the hair underneath are at an awkward growing out stage because of bangs/chemical damage.

My 2 cents: From what I learned here oils don't moisturize rather than help keeping the water already in the hair. Mere oiling won't do the trick if your hair lacks water. So I think you need combo moisturizing treatment + oil. I liked Caramel Treatment (my own light version) very much, you may search it and other similar DTs in the Recipes.

CO does a good job to keep hair moisturized and minimize frizz. I've been less than 3 weeks into it and I can see the difference already. HTH

Good to hear that it's helping someone else out! :D

milagro
December 12th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Jesis, you just go for it and try (CO washing I mean). It's no harm anyway. If it doesn't work for you you will move on /back. Also, CO washing thread is HUGELY informative :)

chopandchange
December 12th, 2010, 02:29 PM
There's a thread about CO washing here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898). (Hope that link works)!

I don't know if I do it exactly the same as most people, but here's what I do:

I use some very cheap, fairly watery, cone-free conditioner (I buy loads of bottles at a time because I get through so much) and once I've wet my hair under the shower I just get lots of it and work it all into my scalp and start to rub. It will not lather and spread around in the way shampoo does, so you have to lift up the roots of your hair and make sure you apply it all over. You can't just put one little blob in one spot and expect it to spread in the way shampoo does; you may need LOADS! I often dilute mine to make it last longer. It will not strip off the oil from your scalp instantaneously in the way you're used to shampoo doing, so you have to remove it mechanically by lots of rubbing with your fingertips (NOT your nails). This actually feels nice and invigorating! I just keep rubbing and rubbing until my scalp feels squeaky clean all over, then I rinse it off. Then I condition my hair as normal (you can use a richer, thicker conditioner for the "conditioning" phrase if you want - I use one with silicones in, to help detangle my hair). Then I'm done!

Hope this helps. People do it in slightly different ways; that CO thread should help.

girlcat36
December 12th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I get frizz when my hair has build-up. My hair is baby-fine and NEEDS to be clarified frequently.
And yes, sometimes frizz just IS. Especially if you have fine hair.
Many of the products that are used to style and control curly hair contains waxes and silicones that ultimately build up on hair and cause it to be lank and frizzy in the long term.
You might want to check into this method:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025
It has helped my enormously.
I no longer use any styling products on my curls. Just oil shampoo and light conditioner. Frizz is at a minimum.
Because my hair is so fine, there will always be a little bit of frizz, but I can live with a little bit.

phistash
December 12th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I think you should try CO, and if that doesn't work (it didn't for me...scalp is too greasy), try CWC.
Two other things that have helped tame my frizzies immensely:
1)Use cool water for washing. When done, rinse hair with the coldest water you can stand. I know this is tough in the winter, but it works wonders.
2)Make a defrizzing spritz out of 1 tbsp. cassia and water. Just pour boiling water over a spoon of cassia, allow to cool, strain, and store the "tea" in a spritz bottle. I carry it around with me, and liberally spray my frizzy problem areas. It works really well!

Athena's Owl
December 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM
i think you need to take a look at the ingredients in your products and take a look at the dew point where you live. And in this case, don't listen to your hairdresser that CO is bad. but do listen about doing it right.

before you try it, research the method - you can do this online easily enough - and make sure you have the right kind of conditioners and such to do curly girl. read up on the scalp massage technique - the way you massage your scalp is quite thorough in a way that shampooing doesn't have to be.

jesis
December 12th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the help! I bought my first jar of coconut oil today :D and I bought some new conditioner and I am going to be researching CO. :D:D I'm excited!