PDA

View Full Version : tangle problem

prof-annie
December 12th, 2010, 10:06 AM
The under layer of my hair seems to be always tangled. Does anybody have any suggestions about what I can do about this?
I often wear my hair in a ponytail, as my hair is very slippery and will fall out of most styles. In a ponytail the under layer, nearest my back and neck, gets very knotted. It is quite frustrating!

soopahgrover
December 12th, 2010, 10:20 AM
ME TOO. It's so frustrating.

I wish I had good advice. I've been battling this for years.
It seems to be best when I ask my hair stylist to cut it a bit shorter than the rest of my hair, because it's always more damaged than the rest. I put oil in it (coconut, jojoba, or argan) and that seems to help some. It also seems to do better when I use -cone conditioners every other shower. If I used -cones every shower, my hair overall would be too limp.

I would also suggest not wearing your hair in a straight ponytail, because that leaves you open to a lot of friction, with your hair rubbing back and forth against your shirt collar or sweater. This is especially a problem with winter clothes and dry air that contributes to static. Instead, I would try a braid or even better, some form of an updo.

Good luck!

Shany
December 12th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I had this problem too and I started putting conditionner on my underlayer from the ends to near the roots (around an inch or 2 from the scalp). It helps a lot, I don't get big knots anymore.

Madora
December 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM
While I think updos are best to avoid tangles, if you wish to wear your hair in a ponytail, then try banding the ponytail with pretty fabric colored bands (no metal) at strategic intervals down your ponytail.

Or you could try taking a small piece of hair from the left of the ponytail, twist it all the way down, then take the twisted hair and wrap it loosely down the length of the ponytail.

Repeat with a bit of hair from the right of the ponytail and fasten all hair with a hair friendly band.

prof-annie
December 12th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Thank you for the replies! I'll try the conditioner idea. I have tried braiding and wrapping, but it falls out after about 30 minutes!

berr
December 12th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Thank you for the replies! I'll try the conditioner idea. I have tried braiding and wrapping, but it falls out after about 30 minutes!

I use a leave in at my nape. Well, actually all through my length but I concentrate on the nape. Also, I use more than one band. I'll band the nape, then band down 2 inches, then band down another 2 inches. It keeps the friction down in the nape area. I use only woven no-dent bands with no metal. Scrunchies WILL NOT stay in my hair. The ones that are cloth sewn over elastic? They don't work for me. They just slide out.

I love these: http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?skuId=110402&productId=110402&WT.mc_id=Shopping_Feed_Products_Google_Free_Listin g

mkmulwee
December 12th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Have you tried hair sticks or forks? My hair slips out of everything but those types of hair restrainers.

prof-annie
December 12th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I am trying hair sticks, but still have the slip problem. Maybe as I get better at using them I'll find a way to prevent it, but, as yet my skills are limited!

Speckla
December 12th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I have shorter layers underneath either from baby hairs or breakage. Using a bobbypin to hold them up will keep them from tangling during the day. I add extra conditioner when I was and that helps to detangle easier and keep them moisturized.

WaitingSoLong
December 12th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I will not wear my hair in a low pony because of this. I have nearly cried over the knots I have had to untangle (because of the damage). If I want a pony, I have to make it a higher pony, not right at the nape. I never get the knots this way. I also do the multiple banding thing, but this can create a lot of friction damage against your shirt if it is not a slippery material. I have just switched to braiding. There is still a friction issue, tho.

tinti
December 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I struggle wit this as well, when I wear it down or just in a low pony. If you put some conditioner or coconut oil in your hair and play a bit more with your sticks:)

Torrin's stick tutorial may help :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/82/vWf4ElyLAAE