PDA

View Full Version : Hair & Perfume

LissaJane
December 12th, 2010, 08:01 AM
So I was walking through a department store, looking for Christmas gift inspiration, when I was pounced on by a lady, with the scariest and most colorful make up I've ever seen, armed with two bottles of perfume asking if I wanted to try them, before even getting a chance to respond, she spritzed my one arm... I kinda smiled and rubbed it in with my other one and she was quite upset that I'd wasted perfectly good space for the other perfume. In typical 'crazy makeup perfume lady' (as I have affectionately dubbed her) fashion, before I got a say in things she spritzed the ends of my hair! On both sides!

Not have I had to walk around with this nauseating perfume wafting into my face all day, but my ends look significantly less happy than they were before I went shopping.

My dilemma is that I've pretty much just washed my hair and I'm trying to stretch my washes. Could I just rinse it, or will shampoo be needed to remove the perfume?
I'm not sure exactly how damaging something like perfume would be, but I know that it has alcohol in it, which dries things out, non? could I just oil them, or would that be like simply coating the problem?

Any advice? :o

lapushka
December 12th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Maybe rinse (even wash) the ends and put some leave-in on if you're that worried about it. Me? I'd just leave it until the next wash.

But that lady? Talk about rude!

Sooze
December 12th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Doh! Dontcha just hate that?

The alcohol/perfume itself will evaporate fairly quickly, but I'd use maybe jojoba oil, or coconut or whatever your hair likes on the ends to combat any drying effects.

TrudieCat
December 12th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I think perfume would only be damaging to hair in larger amounts than just a spritz or two. I use one half to one full spritz of perfume on my hair almost every day, and it doesn't seem to have caused any damage.

But I can't stand smelling too strong and would never use an eau de parfum on my hair - always use eau de toilette. If I was sprayed down in a random perfume attack, I'd probably just wash it out. You won't ruin your hair by washing it two days in a row as long as you take care of it and are gentle, etc.

LissaJane
December 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Oh haha, so it's not actually that bad. (Can you tell I'm pretty new to the whole caring for my hair thing?)
I reckon I'll just rinse 'em and oil them up a little. The smell is not nice :/

Yeah, she was pretty rude and people like that are the exact reason I avoid malls and the likes as much as possible. I mean, I know they're just doing their job, but I wish they'd realized that I'm definitely not their target market and leave me alone.

Thanks for the advice, I musta come off kinda drama queen-esque (Onoes, mine endz!), heh :p

Delila
December 12th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Ugh! Honestly, I'd have complained to the store management, but I'm super sensitive to some fragrances, and some of them give me one of those 'spike through the eye' headaches pretty much instantly.

luxepiggy
December 12th, 2010, 09:45 AM
OMG. I advise you to curtail further visits to said department store post haste! Do you mind if I ask which one it was, so I can avoid it as well? ( ' (oo) ' )

The woman who sprayed you was extremely rude indeed!! I've never, ever been directly sprayed with fragrance at a department store! Even when I ask to smell a certain fragrance, they always spray it on a card. Once when they were out of cards I think they sprayed it on a piece of blank receipt paper from cash register. I would definitely have complained to management.

boomtownrat
December 12th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I'd file a complaint with the management of that store and/or mall, being as specific as possible about the employee (her name if you can remember it, but if not, hopefully you can remember which line of frangrance/cosmetics she worked for). People who do things like that need to be told in no uncertain terms that what they're doing is practically a form of assault for some of us. People prone to migraines and allergic reactions would thank you. :)

lapushka
December 12th, 2010, 09:54 AM
The woman who sprayed you was extremely rude indeed!! I've never, ever been directly sprayed with fragrance at a department store! Even when I ask to smell a certain fragrance, they always spray it on a card. Once when they were out of cards I think they sprayed it on a piece of blank receipt paper from cash register. I would definitely have complained to management.

^^This. Talk about respecting someone's boundaries. :(

princessp
December 12th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I'm going to agree with others here. I worked with a girl who had a similar experience but in her case the perfume ruined her jacket (I think it was suede). This is so rude, people have allergies and all kinds of issues. I'd give a quick call to the store and ask them kindly to stop doing this.

As for your hair, hopefully it won't damage it. Perhaps the scent will subside and you won't have to wash again. Ugh malls during the holidays....I'm staying far, far away.

Carolyn
December 12th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't worry about it unless you keep smelling the perfume and it really bothers you. If that happened, then I'd wash my hair no matter my shampoo schedule. It doesn't hurt to wash your hair sooner than planned when something like this happens. Ya gotta roll with the punches sometimes.

Madora
December 12th, 2010, 10:43 AM
What IS it with these pushy sales people who think they MUST push product on unsuspecting customers?

Some people are very susceptible to scents and being spritzed, I don't care how lightly, can trigger allergic reactions or worse.

I guess I'm very sensitive about this since I can't stand perfumes/scents of any type. My nasal passages seems to "freeze" and it is harder to breathe when I'm near anyone wearing scent/perfume.

chopandchange
December 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM
people have allergies

I agree. People shouldn't be allowed to do that spraying thing. It ought to be considered a form of assault. Since the person they are spraying the substance onto is a perfect stranger to them, they have no way of knowing if they are allergic to perfume. I don't know if what I have is an allergy per se, as I've never told a doctor about it so don't have an official diagnosis, but my skin goes all red and itchy and blotchy if perfume gets on it. My lungs and nose hate it, too. It just smells so toxic and artificial and irritating. If someone did that to me, I would be really indignant and upset...

gizelle
December 12th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty sure that this is illegal in some places due to allergies and such. It would have been hilarious if you'd have dropped to the ground wheezing and pretended to go into anaphylaxis.

chopandchange
December 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM
It reminds me of another annoying scenario that ought to be classed as assult: when people try to get you to buy a sticker in support of charity, and even when you try to dodge them and say you don't want it, they stick it on you anyway - ON YOUR CHEST - and then try to demand money from you.

Pierre
December 12th, 2010, 11:48 AM
File a complaint with the management. Before any fragrance goes on my body, I want to see the ingredient list.

I regularly put perfume in my hair, but I mix it myself, so I know what's in it. And the base is jojoba, not alcohol.

Is alcohol even allowed in perfume in the UAE? I thought it was haram.

Fractalsofhair
December 12th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Pierre, my understanding of alcohol perfume in Islam(well rubbing alcohol, but the same concept), is that it's only bad to drink alcohol. If you need to get something wiped down, like a cut or skin toner, it's perfectly fine because it's a different type of alcohol, and you're not drinking it.(and well, if someone tries to get drunk off perfume, they might need some help.) I'm not a Muslim though, so hopefully someone who is can clarify.

ddiana1979
December 12th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I glare at perfume sprayers as I walk by, so I rarely get messed with, but if someone sprayed my HAIR with ANYTHING without my permission, I'd be incredibly pissed. I'll take your little paper cards, if I'm interested, but don't you dare spray something on me!

In addition to people having allergies & or asthma reactions to perfume, some people on chemotherapy are extremely sensitive to smells. When I was taking my dad to chemo every other week, we both got a handout at our first visit requesting that we not wear perfume, cologne, or heavily scented deodorants, shampoos, etc. out of respect for the other patients.

AnnaJamila
December 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I use roll on perfume mixed with my hair oil when ever I oil it. (I like jasmine the best!) I don't know if the roll on is of a different formulation (like mixed with oil instead of alcohol) but I've never had any problems with it. You should be fine washing twice just once, it's when you make a habit of it that problems develop.

ETA: Views on weither the topical application of alcohol is haram (forbidden) varies from scholar to scholar. Some take the view that the act of drinking alcohol is what is haram, some say that the alcohol itself is what is haram. As a generality, I use it and most of the muslims I know use it, but there are lines of halal (permissable) skin care products not containing alcohol for those who want to be extra careful. Also, when used to clean a cut or wound, some who will use it topically will ask for another cleansing method since the alcohol will be entering the body through the cut. Many also use non-alcohol mouthwashes since there is a risk of swallowing and limited absorbtion through the mucous membranes. Hope that clarifies some!

LissaJane
December 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM
OMG. I advise you to curtail further visits to said department store post haste! Do you mind if I ask which one it was, so I can avoid it as well? ( ' (oo) ' )

The store was Debenhams, but all of the stores in Dubai do this, some of them ask, but when being asked to try perfume they very rarely have the sticks of paper. I'm sure the Debenhams in other countries have more sense-- It seems like Dubai is very backwards a lot of the time, nobody knows how to do their job and if they do it's almost always a half-hearted attempt. The marketing companies out here are ridiculous with how they tell their staff to get people to try the products, and, having worked for far too many of them, I feel that most the time I could easily do a better job. Blindfolded.

I'm going to agree with others here. I worked with a girl who had a similar experience but in her case the perfume ruined her jacket (I think it was suede). This is so rude, people have allergies and all kinds of issues. I'd give a quick call to the store and ask them kindly to stop doing this.

:eek: That's terrible.. If they would have ruined a nice jacket of mine I would have been very very upset and not only complained, I would have made them buy a me a new one, or at least given me money to compensate.

It reminds me of another annoying scenario that ought to be classed as assult: when people try to get you to buy a sticker in support of charity, and even when you try to dodge them and say you don't want it, they stick it on you anyway - ON YOUR CHEST - and then try to demand money from you.

This reminds me of something my dad told me about in Tanzania, apparently people stop you in the street, offering you jewelry ("gifts for your wife") and then refuse to take it back and ask/demand money? :/

-------

I have never been very good with my customer rights and complaining and whatnot (I'm very shy and I hate kicking up a fuss), but this actually happens all over Dubai in the malls (Sure, some of them ask first, but they can sometimes be pretty pushy), so I've decided to write into a very well known daily local newspaper's letter's page which has actually helped get a lot of situations like this brought to the attention of the right people. Everyone reads it. And if it happens again, I will go to management and complain.
Thank you all for your responses :)

sonng
December 13th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Oh dear :< That happened to me once, I was just walking when this saleslady just grabbed me on the arm and just spritzed perfume right near my face. I was so angry because I have really bad allergies and sensitive skin. My skin became all dry,itchy and red...:< but i didn't say anything which i regret.. I just made a gross face and walked away. :rolleyes:

milagro
December 13th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Oh I sooooo relate to what you feel. I hate obtrusive service and hate having any fragrance in my hair except the faint residue of my condish' smell. A lot of scents give me head ache after a couple of hours. This woman was not even thinking you could be allergic or particularly sensitive to scents. Or that alcohol is not good for hair either. Hateful :justy:
I think there must not be any significant damage caused, it's only one time. I would deep condition the length and forget about it :flower:

HoneyJubilee
December 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I try to stay away from cosmetics counters because I don't want to be attacked with perfumes, lotions, etc. I'm not happy if I'm attacked with products, and the sales people are always irritated if I ask to read the ingredients. There are tons of things I just don't want in my cosmetics, and I'm allergic to eucalyptus (which is in a surprising amount of products).

I also avoid stores that are so heavily perfumed that I can TASTE the perfume when I walk past (Aeropostale, Abercrombie).

HairFaerie
December 14th, 2010, 07:57 PM
My advice would be to go back and punch her in the face! Mwahahahaha!:patrol:
That's messed up! Don't people THINK? Well, apparently not...

I do like scented oils in my hair (made from essential oils) that I make myself. And, If I happened to spray on some perfume (that I picked out, purchased, and actually liked) and it gets a little in my hair, wonderful. But, to have a scent forced upon me like that would make me a bit upset.

Like others have said, it shouldn't damage your hair, but your "personal space" was definitely invaded and I agree with what someone else said about talking to the manager to prevent crazy makeup perfume lady from striking again!