PDA

View Full Version : wearing our hair up although we love it really long

swiftbn
December 11th, 2010, 10:18 PM
For most of us that possess really long and pretty locks, we love our hair, but we prefer wearing it up instead of wearing it down. Would you agree that if you take the time to grow it out past your shoulder blades that you should have it down instead of wearing it up 95% of the time?

AnnaJamila
December 11th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Well, at least 85% of the time I'm doing something where very long hair would get in the way (i.e. working, cleaning, running around doing errands) my hair is down most of the time I'm not actively doing stuff though. Keeping it up just prevents it from getting messed up in the process of living. Also, it prevents it from driving us nuts and prompting a chop because it keeps getting in the way!

erika_d
December 11th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I'm curious ton find out if I'll wear my hair up more once it gets really long. Right now I always wear it down, but it's only shoulder length.

rhosyn_du
December 11th, 2010, 11:56 PM
For most of us that possess really long and pretty locks, we love our hair, but we prefer wearing it up instead of wearing it down. Would you agree that if you take the time to grow it out past your shoulder blades that you should have it down instead of wearing it up 95% of the time?

I think the only "should" as far as hairstyles go is that people should wear their hair however they want to, whether that be up, down, or covered in :cheese:

ravenreed
December 12th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I did wear mine down every day, right up to waist. However, I have rather sturdy hair and not everyone can do that. At that point, I was stalling and to get more length I had to change my routine and wear my hair up more often. I still wear it down from time to time.

Be careful with the "shoulds" as everyone's ideas what should happen are different.

Bene
December 12th, 2010, 12:16 AM

Nope, not at all. I don't grow my hair to show it off so it seems silly to put my hair at risk of damage by leaving it down.

teela1978
December 12th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I'd say that if I can ignore my hair long enough for it to get past my waist that I should definitely keep wearing it up and out of the way so I can continue to ignore it :)

I like wearing my hair down, but it tends to get in the way of many daily activities as mentioned by AnnaJamilia. When I have the chance to wear it down and I feel like it it goes down. When its bugging me it goes up. That's one of the major benefits of hair past your shoulder blades. You can put it up and its like you have no hair at all!

Tia2010
December 12th, 2010, 12:40 AM
It depends on what I'm doing. When I'm hanging at home , cleaning, or running errands ; I think having it out of the way suits me best . When I go out with dh or friends I like to wear it down.

That may change as it gets longer and I learn some updo's. But for now I don't feel the need to wear it strictly up or down ...it's just based on what I'm doing and how I'm feeling.

milagro
December 12th, 2010, 12:49 AM
I grow my hair for the very purpose of wearing it up, I find it both beautiful and practical :) There are so many updos I can't manage with my current length/layers.
One may let long hair down whenever they like, too.

Dragon
December 12th, 2010, 12:58 AM

The thing I like about long hair is that you can wear it up and down and they both look good. Some people will put a lot of time in growing it because they want to be able to wear there hair a certain way.

Igor
December 12th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Would you agree that if you take the time to grow it out past your shoulder blades that you should have it down instead of wearing it up 95% of the time?

Definitely not. I grew my hair long because I could wear it up.

Masara
December 12th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I love my long hair but if I had to wear it down 95% of the time, I would probably cut it back to shoulder length or shorter.

My hair is very 'floaty' so it gets in my face all the time and tangles fast when it's down. That would be OK if all I'm going to do is sit around looking interesting, but not for living my life. When I wore it down before, I had to spend a lot of time brushing it to keep it looking good.

And then, if I could only do updos 5% of the time would be so frustrating! That's one of the things I like the most about having long hair

joiekimochi
December 12th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I grow my hair long so I would have a HUGE bun when I put it up.

Roseate
December 12th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Updos are one of my favorite things about long hair.

I don't want my hair either too long or too short for a good updo; if I'm ever at a length where it is too heavy for me to easily wear up, I'll be cutting back.

ritza
December 12th, 2010, 02:25 AM
http://hosted.pikistrips.com/comic_strip/s/image/35/221/228/comic-p.jpg (http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/35221228)

My hair is in buns,braids & twists 95% of the time..Growing it long so I can have a Super huge BUN!

Happy Hair Growing!

JulietCapulet
December 12th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Long hair worn up is kind of like sexy French or Italian lingerie. No one can see it but the wearers confidence is boosted just knowing it's there!!

But I do prefer to wear it down.

ravenreed
December 12th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Not for me, sorry. I feel very, very frumpy with my hair up. When it is down, I feel 1000% better about myself.

Long hair worn up is kind of like sexy French or Italian lingerie. No one can see it but the wearers confidence is boosted just knowing it's there!!

But I do prefer to wear it down.

Carolyn
December 12th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Would you agree that if you take the time to grow it out past your shoulder blades that you should have it down instead of wearing it up 95% of the time?No I don't agree with that at all. Should? No. I see that wording implying that my hair is long for someone else to look at. Nope. My hair is for me. If I wear it down it's because I want it down that day not because I think I should wear it down for whatever reason.

trillcat
December 12th, 2010, 05:15 AM
I also have very "floaty" hair, and though I do like to wear it down occasionally, it involves the use of a blow drier and much silicone to get it to "behave" the way I want it to, which is not tangling up when there is the mere suggestion of a breeze 7 states away. Say the word "wind" to my hair, it will laugh thinking farts, then tangle into a mess. :)
I like having the option for pretty braids and such, when people tell me I may as well cut it because I wear it up most of the time, I just laugh and remind them of my pixie. The "Oh, the pumpkin head cut!" generally reminds them I so do not look good with short hair. :D

nytquill
December 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I love wearing my hair down. The longer it gets the more I like to see it when it's down. But if I wore it down all the time it wouldn't GET any longer! My hair just racks up too much damage from various things (wind, bag straps, zippers, cleaning products, me sitting on it, DH sitting on it, etc.). In fact I had been stuck at mid back for most of my adult life and just figured my hair wouldn't get any longer than that...until I started wearing it up nearly every day for work and a year or so later I'm a bit past waist and heading for hip in the near future (I'm short so that's not as much growth in a year as it sounds - but it's still GROWTH which I never had before when leaving my hair down all the time.)

I feel pretty frumpy with my hair up, I agree. But at the same time I know that I put it up for me, because I want it to get longer, so that I can enjoy the length even more, whether up or down. When I go out with it down, all I can think about is how much damage my hair is incurring and I cringe at every little tug and every gust of wind. That's not fun either. At the length my hair is now, we're talking 6+ years of my life invested in it. If you had a project, a thesis or a novel for example, that you had invested 6 years of your life working on, you'd put it in a sheet protector or a notebook or something if you had to take it with you somewhere, wouldn't you?

So I agree, be careful with the shoulds. Having an opinion on something is great but that doesn't mean you can speak for everyone - or that you know why another person does/thinks what they do. Your hair is yours and you can do what you think is best, what makes you feel the best with it and in the end, short long up or down that's all that matters - how you feel about your hair. My hair is mine and I do what makes me feel the best...that doesn't make you wrong for doing it differently ;)

nytquill
December 12th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Oh and I just wanted to add - my hair isn't really long enough yet to get noticed just for being long, when I have it down. I just look like "another college-aged girl with long straight hair." Those are a dime a dozen around here.

When I have my hair UP, I get comments on my hairsticks, I get comments on my braids...I mean, yes, as others have said my hair is for me and it doesn't matter what other people think of it. But I do like to be noticed and complimented and quite honestly that happens more when I wear my hair up. Anyone can grow their hair out if they want - all you have to do is not cut it, at least to start out with - and until you reach a less common length like hip or tbl it doesn't necessarily stand out. But it takes some skill and effort to do pretty buns and braids, and that, people notice.

Madora
December 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Personally, I rarely wear my hair down. Even as a young adult I rarely wore it down for the simple reason the tangling that ensued wasn't worth the time it took to untangle.

Wearing hair up is more attractive..and more eye catching (I've been asked on several occasions, "how did you do that?").

Babyfine
December 12th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I love my hair down-unfortunately I also have very fine, floaty, fragile hair. My hair seems to get tangled if I wear it down all day unless I constantly run a comb through it-which can cause damage. When it's up-not nearly as many tangles, in fact hardly any.
Plus the wind blows around here a lot, and my uber light hair gets blown around so easy and wind-whipped. Hmmm where I live the climate isn't very long hair friendly, it seems.(Unless you contain it)

So I compromise by wearing it up a lot but down about 1/3 of the time, too, since I honestly like my hair down better. I'm hoping that as my hair gets to my goal length(WL-TBL) my updo's will look bigger and better.

pepperminttea
December 12th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Not necessarily. After all, there's no point to having hair you don't enjoy, and if wearing it down all the time (and taking the inevitable damage which that normally incurs) works for you, then why not? I like wearing mine up, it's practical for me, and I'm not lucky enough to have hair of steel that can withstand being worn down much. And it's a good excuse to play around with updos! :D

spidermom
December 12th, 2010, 11:43 AM
As noted above, long hair down can be hot, a nuisance, and a hazard. I've been walking around the house with my hair down and gotten a few strands caught in the tiny space between a light switch cover and the wall. It hurts when hairs get stuck somewhere and yanked out. The longer my hair gets, the more I need to wear it up or braided. I do enjoy taking it down and combing it out, though.

The last few times I wore my hair down to go out, I wished I'd remembered to take something to enable me to put it up.

redneckprincess
December 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
My hair is between APL and BSL and I have just recently started wearing my hair up most of the time, why? Because I love all these new styles I can do. I do still love wearing it down and plan to as it continues to grow, but I can't wait to try other styles that require longer hair!!

squiggyflop
December 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM

depends on how long the hair is but the word should should have nothing to do with it, people dont need to show off things just because they have them, i have larger breasts than most of my friends but that doesnt mean that i should wear skimpy bikinis 95% of the time to show them off.. at the OP's length there was no reason to wear it up because it was short enough to not bother me.. but when it gets to the point were the hair is being caught in EVERYTHING then its usually the time when people start thinking that its better to wear it up.. shoulderblades.. hmmmm.. um... thats not long at all to me.. so i didnt understand that part.. i really only consider waist+ to be long.. and but waist isnt "really long".. its just barely long to my brain.. really long is tailbone+.. super long is midthigh+..

as someone with hair thats now a bit past my tailbone i can tell you that i hate having to worry about my hair.. i like wearing fleece robes around the house in the winter and fuzzy girly sweaters.. fuzzy anything is murder on hair and i would have to chop it back to bsl after just one winter wearing it down (which is too darn short, i dont consider bsl to even be near the long hair category, in my head thats short).. in the summer i wear it up because its hot.. too hot for my hair to be touching my neck.. in the spring i wear it down more often.. and also in early fall.. but i always keep something to put it up with, because im a college student and the school desks catch my hair and make my head yank back when i get up with my hair attached to the chair back screws..

also if i have my hair down i have to comb it like 15 times a day and carry a comb with me at all times.. wind causes mattes.. why wear hair down if you are going to have to spend 2 hours detangling it later

oh and once you get past tailbone there is the staring issue.. people stare at you if your hair is down so if you want to be incognito you gotta wear it up.. also if you wanna look professional..

meggykins
December 12th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Ive always been told, "why have your hair long if youre never going to have it down?"

But i think the only thing im guilty of (especially now after finding the LHC) is not putting it up in different insteresting ways, instead of the same ponytail day after day.

cmnt831
December 12th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I grow my hair long so I would have a HUGE bun when I put it up.

Hehe, that's my reason, too. :D

long&blonde
December 12th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Wearing my hair up is my best way to practice benign neglect, wash and fuss with my hair less. It keeps it out of my face, so it's out of the way for work and chores. I prefer it down however, my priority is; longer: though it's just about waist length. I had layers. A month ago I had color applied at a salon. The stylist measured & said 4 inchs to my waist. If I check my mirror though; most of it definitely halfway through my "tramp stamp" back tattoo. Which I always thought was "waist". All I do know is; the longer it gets; the happier I am. :)

KLin
December 12th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I have never learned good ways to put up my hair. I have one set of straight hair sticks, but I can not use them well. I do not like ponytails, yet need to use them to keep my hair back for karate. I do braids, but loose my ends with the hair ties at the bottom.

I need to experiment and find fun, non-damaging ways to wear my hair up.

enfys
December 12th, 2010, 05:01 PM
If my hair wasn't up all the time except when it's wet or being brushed, I'd have a crew cut. I hate the feel of my hair on me. It's itchy and hot. Even if I'm sat still, I hate feeling it brush on me.

Why should I wear it down if I hate it that much? Who for? My husband likes it up too, and besides mine, his is the only opinion that could matter enough to change my mind on it.

Maybe it's because even as I child I always wore my hair up, but I never could work out that "why have it long it you wear it up" mentality. I felt there were dots to join that I couldn't see...

princessp
December 12th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I have never learned good ways to put up my hair. I have one set of straight hair sticks, but I can not use them well. I do not like ponytails, yet need to use them to keep my hair back for karate. I do braids, but loose my ends with the hair ties at the bottom.

I need to experiment and find fun, non-damaging ways to wear my hair up.

One word: ficcare

I sometimes try to go to work with my hair down, but almost always end up putting it up before long because of all the hazards out there. I can usually get away with a 1/2 up do. I always have a ficcare in my purse in case I need it. Not to mention I end up wasting a lot of time in conversations generated from others about my hair when it is down. I think it looks very nice down, but I do usually wear it up.

Superfine
December 12th, 2010, 05:25 PM
This may be strange, but I have (since I started growing my hair in '07) had a fantasy of wearing my hair up almost all the time & then, sometimes, "unfurling it" & letting it hand long. Perhaps mostly in from of my husband of 44 yrs. Makes it kind of special & private. Of course, on the practical, if up, it doesn't get in the way everyday. Long hair is so versatile. I love it!

Superfine
December 12th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Sorry for the typos: "hang long" and "in front of my husband". I am not a typist!

Rivanariko
December 12th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I don't have the option of wearing it down 95% of the time! I decorate cakes, and have to have my hair up and out of the way at work for sanitation reasons. Even a braid, at TBL, is a hazard as it can fall over my shoulder and into the cake! When I'm not at work, I'm working with my horse(s), in which case I usually keep it in a french braid to keep it out of the way without interfering with my helmet. My hair is fine and "floaty" as some people have said (love that! Perfect description!) so it tangles around EVERYTHING, gets in my eyes, my mouth...

But by keeping it long, I can french braid it back and it stays perfectly out of the way, as opposed to shorter cuts that either I can't pull back or I have to maintain by getting them re-cut every few months. I also love the way it looks when it's down and brushed out. I wear it down for special occasions, and sometimes in the evenings when it's just me and my DBF.

And, on a slightly more superficial note, I LOVE people's reactions when I take it down, especially if they're used to seeing me with a bun. My hair is so fine that my bun is pretty small, so when I let it down, I always get the "OMG YOUR HAIR IS SO LONG!" comments. Makes me glow a little bit inside.

swiftbn
December 12th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I don't have the option of wearing it down 95% of the time! I decorate cakes, and have to have my hair up and out of the way at work for sanitation reasons. Even a braid, at TBL, is a hazard as it can fall over my shoulder and into the cake! When I'm not at work, I'm working with my horse(s), in which case I usually keep it in a french braid to keep it out of the way without interfering with my helmet. My hair is fine and "floaty" as some people have said (love that! Perfect description!) so it tangles around EVERYTHING, gets in my eyes, my mouth...

But by keeping it long, I can french braid it back and it stays perfectly out of the way, as opposed to shorter cuts that either I can't pull back or I have to maintain by getting them re-cut every few months. I also love the way it looks when it's down and brushed out. I wear it down for special occasions, and sometimes in the evenings when it's just me and my DBF.

And, on a slightly more superficial note, I LOVE people's reactions when I take it down, especially if they're used to seeing me with a bun. My hair is so fine that my bun is pretty small, so when I let it down, I always get the "OMG YOUR HAIR IS SO LONG!" comments. Makes me glow a little bit inside.

i believe that if i could see you, i would really love to see you and your hair when it gets into your eyes. im pretty sure that you do receive raves from people that it is so pretty and so long. im pretty sure that if i saw you everyday with it down i would possibly annoy you by letting you know how much i love it, and by how pretty you are.

JulietCapulet
December 21st, 2010, 07:01 AM
I think women look great with their hair up, it's too bad men don't seem to like it as much. But there are some members on this forum who make updo's look absolutely gorgeous!

arc691
December 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
My hair is too long to wear it down, so I usually wear it up or in a braid. Even a braid can get in my way sometimes. I was looking for new ideas and ways of fixing my hair when I came across this forum! Yay! :cheer:

I also got a lot of good ideas from the Dressy Tresses website. :happydance:

(Of course, one of the major reasons I stopped wearing my hair down was so I wouldn't catch lice from any of the kids!!) :surprise:

Intransigentia
December 21st, 2010, 02:31 PM
If I hadn't found LHC and learned ways to put up not-thin, longer-than-APL hair, I probably would have cut it off because "it's so thick and heavy I just can't manage it" .. aaahahaaha dear me ...

As it is, I'm growing it long so I can wear it up more ways. It's like carrying an art project around on my body and I can make something new whenever I want!

Tabitha
December 21st, 2010, 02:47 PM
Hmm this thread was started by someone who's been banned for obvious creepiness! :nono:

Intransigentia
December 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM
On the bright side, Creeper is banned, and we're still having an enjoyable conversation.

Tom Steinberg
December 21st, 2010, 04:03 PM
I wear my hair up mostly.. it's just mre practical, and my hair tangles easily when it's out in the wind.

Lemur_Catta
December 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
My hair is like a fancy dress...I like wearing it down and showing it when I am out with my boyfriend, or just so he can see and touch it...but of course I don't want to put up such a show everyday! It would not be practical to wear my hair down at university, at home, or in the gym. Although I like to show my hair off once in a while so I can get the "oooh you hair has gotten long, it's so shiny and straight, how do you do it?" comments :D

Igor
December 21st, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hmm this thread was started by someone who's been banned for obvious creepiness! :nono:
Haha. I was just about to reply something like that. As a matter of fact I had just copied “I find it amusing that a lot of threads with this vibe to it has OPs that ends up banned… “ out of a word document when I saw you posting the same :lol:

Mírien
December 21st, 2010, 11:13 PM
One of my reasons for growing my hair was to have it in nice, big buns. :D The greatest advantage of long hair is that you can hide it if you wish (hip length hair in a bun stays more out of the way then shoulder length hair...) but when there is a special occasion you can let it down (and probably receive some nice comments...:eyebrows:). Grow, hair, grow! :cheese:

Vapunzel91
December 21st, 2010, 11:40 PM
I would say it's personal preference. I find that I like to switch between both. I don't like to put it up too much because I barely know anything to do. I mean I just did my first sock bun two days ago, and did my first pretty ponytail today (and it stayed in!). I like it when my roommate does it for me, but at the same time, wearing my hair up hurts. I also like that it keeps it out of the way, but it is always fun to wear my hair up and then take it down and people are like "OMG, that's how long your hair has been?!" For people who don't understand how much hair it takes for some hairstyles, they don't look like they take much hair when you need lots of hair (like the infinity bun).

Quezie
December 22nd, 2010, 12:09 AM
I wear my hair down when I want to look nice.

I don't want it down when I'm working, or doing anything where it can get tangled.

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Ive always preffered to wear my hair down.
My hair is only at waist now, so wearing it down isn't that big of a deal.
My goal is to gain 4-5 more inches, so i'm sure it will be more challenging. but i'm up for the challenge. I really dislike wearing my hair up i feel like a different person.