PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take your hair to dry?

Phalaenopsis
June 4th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Just curious. :)

Mine takes about 3 hours. That's faster than I thought.

So how long will it take you? And second, does it bother you when it takes too long?

Riot Crrl
June 4th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Probably about the same, maybe 2.5 hours. It used to take a lot longer, and my hair wasn't even THAT much longer. Getting it in better condition seemed to help it dry faster.

Unless it is in an updo, then it takes about 238493 years.

Phalaenopsis
June 4th, 2008, 03:35 AM

How do you know, you've not lived that long yet :p

Riot Crrl
June 4th, 2008, 03:37 AM
And my bunned hair still hasn't dried! Ahaha!

Newniepg
June 4th, 2008, 03:39 AM
It depends, if I dry it outside in the sunshine it takes about half an hour. If I dry it indoors with a towel around my shoulders then it takes about 3 hours. I don't know why, my hair isn't particularly thick or long. Maybe my hair is just cantankerous.

Sceleste
June 4th, 2008, 04:34 AM
If I have shampooed and conditioned it takes about 3-4 hours for my hair to dry. Sometimes I rinse my hair with water only and drying time is a lot less, maybe 2,5 hours.

Florida Mom
June 4th, 2008, 07:16 AM
When it is just down, and indoors, it takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Up in a damp bun, it hardly dries after the whole day.

rhubarbarin
June 4th, 2008, 07:25 AM
It always takes longer if it's rainy or humid.

It used to take 4 hours+ with the leave-ins I used. Now, using just coconut oil, it only takes two hours or so, sometimes less! Since my hair is so fluffy, when it's not weighed down by lots of product it lifts itself up and air circulates a lot faster.

I know thick hair takes longer to dry than thinner hair, but wonder if straight hair, that lies flat and sticks to itself, usually dries slower than curls or puffy waves?

In a bun or braid, it is still wet inside for 12-14 hours.. after that I usually give up and let it down for a while to finish drying. So I rarely put it up wet, I prefer to wash the night before and leave it down so it's mostly dry, then put it up in the morning.

mira-chan
June 4th, 2008, 07:35 AM
In the sunshine it takes 5 ish hours to dry when down. Inside it can take 10 hours or more. In a bun or braid it will be wet indefinitely.

Leisa
June 4th, 2008, 08:11 AM
One hour:) (did I mention I live in the desert):D

AJoifulNoise
June 4th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I would say 3-4 hours, usually. But, if I'm going somewhere I bun it after 1 or 2. If I put it up soaking wet it never dries and my scalp screams bloody murder.

Arniky
June 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Drying time would depend on climate and length of hair.

Alva
June 4th, 2008, 09:45 AM
For me inside when down about 5 hours, in a bun it stays wet like forever. When I sleep with it when its wet it wil still be damp the following morning also.

Minx
June 4th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I haven't let my hair dry outside a bun in forever. I have no idea how long it takes these days. I do a medium tightness bun or braid and it's usually still damp the next day.

Because I'm usually bunned or braided I don't notice that it's wet or damp so it never brothers me!

florenonite
June 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Down, 3-4 hours. However, I usually leave it down for a wee bit then bun it, in which case I wash in the morning and it's still damp when I take it out at night and I put it in a French plait for bed and it'll be dry come morning.

hurricane_gia
June 4th, 2008, 10:07 AM
It depends. During a drought, it only takes three or four hours to dry my hair. But if it is humid outside, it takes longer. During the extremely humid seasons, you know, when there's condensation on the windows, and your clothes get soaked from the humidity as soon as you go outside, the it takes maybe eight hours to get my hair from 'wet' to 'damp' and then it stays 'damp' for another eight hours or so.

This is one reason I only wash my hair once a week during humid weather.

Curlsgirl
June 4th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Yes it bothers me. I hate it when my hair is damp for some reason unless it's in an updo cooling me off but then it NEVER dries. BUT it takes on average inside about 4-5 hours or more to dry leaving it loose. I do use quite a bit of leave-in conditioner but it has always taken a long time anyway. If I go outside which I do in the summer it is a lot quicker.

Islandgrrl
June 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Depends....Inside the house and down probably about 5 hours. Bunned or braided, a lot longer. Really a lot. More than 24 hours sometimes. Outside and down, 2-3 hours. The longer it gets, the longer it takes.

LynnM
June 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM
When it is just down, and indoors, it takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Up in a damp bun, it hardly dries after the whole day.

Ditto for me! I often braid my hair to avoid tangles and it still takes the whole day to dry...

It takes forever to blow-dry my hair, too. It just seems to hold a LOT of water.

Do products really make that much of a difference in drying time? I only add shea butter after a shower, although I use a lot of cones in my shampoo/conditioner. Hmmm... :hmm:

Saranne772
June 4th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I washed today at 8-30 and I was still wet at 12-30 so I would say it takes about 5-6 hours to dry naturally

Boon
June 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I don't know how long it takes. A few hours, 3-4 I guess. Longer in a bun or braid or something. I don't really care if my hair is a little wet as long as it dries before I go to sleep :)

Gladtobemom
June 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM
If it's bunned while damp, it can stay wet all day.

If I comb it out and flip it up over the back of the couch or just keep moving . . . about 3-4 hours.

If I use a silk scarf to lift the weight off (sort of making an open boat in the back to lift the hair up) it takes about 4-5 hours.

If I put it up on Magnetic curlers and sit on the sun porch (where it's warm and very dry) about 3 hours.

Angellen
June 4th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Five hours or so. I think. It's quite a long time. And if I bun it wet, it won't dry. Ever. It needs to be down on my back (and making me cold) in order to dry at all. I like to drape it over chairs so it doesn't get me -too- chilled. :)

toodramatik
June 4th, 2008, 11:21 PM
More than like 7 hours. It seems to love to retain dampness =[[

rhosyn_du
June 4th, 2008, 11:47 PM
It depends on my wash method. If I CWC or use a 'poo bar, 2-3 hours. If I CO, it takes about 5.

Finoriel
June 5th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Depending on humidity, temperatures and what I´m doing, anything between 1 and 4 hours is common.
4 hours: winter, sitting inside and doing paperwork
1 hour: summer, busy doing something outside in the sunshine

(One time it took over 8 hours to dry :p but that was in winter and I had been outside the whole day... frozen braids do definitely not dry! :D )

renarok
June 5th, 2008, 07:30 AM
In a bun my hair can take 8 hours to dry, but boy is it soft!! If it is loose my hair takes about 2 hours.

Morag
June 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Just curious. :)

Mine takes about 3 hours. That's faster than I thought.

So how long will it take you? And second, does it bother you when it takes too long?

Mine is not very long yet. It takes 2-3 hours to dry if left down, and forever if it's up. I think the relatively quick drying while down has a lot to do with climate - there is little humidity here most of the time.

Yes, it bothers me when it takes too long to dry. I don't like having strings of wet hair hanging down my neck (although if I start putting it up I suppose it will help keep my head cool this summer) and I have other things I want to do, that I often don't feel I can do if my hair is flapping around waiting to dry.

Isilya
June 5th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Inside and loose it dries in 3 to 4 hours (although one time it managed to stay damp for 7 hours).

Outside and loose it takes about 1 hour. Probably because I only go out with wet, loose hair when the sun is shining.

Damp bunned hair doesn't seem to dry at all. If I take the bun out at the end of the day, it will still be as damp as it was in the morning.

And yes, my hair taking too long to dry annoys me sometimes :)

Forever_Sophie
June 5th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Approx. 3.5 hrs. I'm used to it, I don't mind...

flapjack
June 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM
This is easily the most annoying thing about my hair. It takes so long to dry. In the desert, it takes 4-6 hours when loose. In LA, it takes about 8-10 hours loose. When I was in Georgia for a month, it NEVER dried completely and I showered every other night. I was about 12 years old at the time, so I was actually scared that my hair would grow mildew or something, hahaha. If it's up in a bun or braided, the parts of my hair that are surrounded by other hairs or a hairtie won't dry entirely at all.

eadwine
June 8th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Between one and two hours, it dries really quickly :)

NorthernDancer
June 9th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Mine takes 3-4 hours if left down. It's quicker if I play with it, rather then just letting it sit there. If I put it up it can stay damp for DAYS!

I do wish it would dry faster. Mostly because I shower at night, and I would prefer to not have damp hair when I go to bed. Lately I've been letting it dry as much as possible, then putting it in a bun, then I just deal with it in the morning.

longhairedfairy
June 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Probably about the same, maybe 2.5 hours. It used to take a lot longer, and my hair wasn't even THAT much longer. Getting it in better condition seemed to help it dry faster.

Wow. Doesn't it mildew in that amount of time?:p

I haven't timed it recently, but the part close to my scalp takes for-freaking-ever to dry. I don't like the feeling of wet hair, so sometimes I even blowfry that part. :run:

flapjack
June 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
The part on my scalp is dry in about 2-3 hours and so are the ends on top... but the ends next to my back and then the whooooooooooole area between about ears to bsl just seems to stay wet forever.

ZaBasDa
June 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
This is one of the few things I hate about my hair. It takes a good 7 hours to dry my hair. If up everything but the outermost layer is indefinitely wet; I do live in a rather humid environment though.

-Lisa-
February 27th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I don't stop the time, but I think it takes 2-3 hours to dry.

JamieLeigh
February 27th, 2009, 08:48 AM
If it's down, it can take close to 4 hours nowadays. (It's fine, so it doesn't take nearly as long as it did when my pony circumference was bigger...)

I don't bun it to dry...I get impatient with it! :)

Henrietta
September 7th, 2010, 10:27 AM
In the summer-one hour. Really. When it's down. During coldest seasons about 2-3 hours. When it's down. If I have it braided- a whole night or even more. Sometimes I wake up with damp hair inside the braid.

TinaDenali
September 7th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Also depends for me. Just down it takes about 3-4 hours. In braids about 5-6 hours. In a bun... it could take all day and night and still not be dry.

MandyBeth
September 7th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Loose, it's less than it was at 4 hours. If I don't oil it, or use my lemon rinse (as for my attempt at typing), at 7 hours, it's not fully dry.

With a pony tail, hahahahaha, sorry. 12 hours later, it's damp.

Braid or bun - I've put one in on damp+ hair, and taken it out 36 hours later to find it had not dried at all. If I give it a start with the blow dryer, it helps.

Grrr....

ZoeSophia8
September 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM
My hair usually dries in half an hour to an hour. :o

BUT my overall circumference is on the thin side.

Whijun
September 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Air dry after using a microfiber towel, about 3 hours.

MPringle
September 9th, 2010, 08:37 AM
my hair takes about 3 hours to dry, and it does bother me because my hair looks ugly when its damp at all. i much prefer my hair dry.

Mirsha
September 9th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Depending on whether I condition or not: 2 to 5 hours. I absolutely can't let it dry in a bun or braid since it irks me when wet.

Usually it takes a whole night to dry after deep conditions :o!

sunrain
September 11th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Indoors, combed out, and down, it takes about an hour. In the sun, maybe 30-45 minutes.

He is
September 11th, 2010, 01:19 AM
It always takes forever because I always throw my hair in a pony tail or bun.