PDA

View Full Version : Henna and Length?

Erinshay
December 11th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I have been using henna off and on for 8 yrs. Yet, I have never had long hair untill now. I was wondering what long tern effects the henna will have on my hair as the lenght grows out... My hair is currently past BSL and almost to the small of my back. I have always had fine hair but now the texture is completely different: smoother, thicker, stronger, and slighty more coarse. It's pretty dry after the henna but after a couple oil treatments its fine. I was wondering if anyone had tailbone length hair with the henna and their experiences. Also, I am starting to have scalp pain/burning sensation , is it possible the henna adds to much weight for the my scalp and follicles? I naturall have fine hair and a decent amount, I am worried as it grows the henna will add too much weight for already burdened follicles. Maybe I am just over thinking it.

Thanks,
:)

jojo
December 11th, 2010, 04:32 PM
There are lots of very long haired henna heads on here. I have been hennaering for only 4-5 months, but my fine hair feels thicker and breaks less. Henna is great for strengthening hair and adding body. I was lucky as normally it kills waves and curls but mine have stayed the same, my hair feels as silky as before but I truely believe its allowing me to retain length,, even when my hair was all virgin it broke as its naturally fine and fragile but henna has toughened it up.

heres the discussion board for everything related to henna! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Erinshay
December 11th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I naturally fine and fragile hair as well! I can run my fingers throught my hair and it doesn't matter how gentle the hair still breaks. Henna has changed all that for me but I was a little worried that whats been helping now could hinder later.

maus
December 11th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I have been hennaing for not too long (a few month, and a few glosses), and my hair is definitely thicker/stronger since I've been doing it.

Anyway, regarding your question regarding too much weight - I don't think Henna can add that much weight. Plenty of thick-haired ladies (and gents) here on LHC, and while I have read of folks mentioning buns and updos being heavy, I don't think the weight Henna adds would be so much that it would be damaging in any way or be causing so much pulling that you would get a "burning" sensation. Did you change anything else in your routine? Or maybe it's the winter - dry air can dry out your skin quite a bit, as well as the scalp, which would cause it to feel "uncomfortable"

Erinshay
December 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I think part of the scalp issue was due to wearing my hair in updo's that caused some tension or unbalanced styles. I can wear pony tails high up anymore...causes issues.
Perhaps, the dry air also made an impact. I have been putting coconut oil and aloe on my scalp as a healing salve. (So far so good)
I just don't want to over burden my hair follicles ( naturally fine ) with hair too heavy for what they are genetically designed to support... Maybe I am over thinking this a bit LOL. =/
I guess I am trying to figure out whether I should keep henna'n my hair for as long as it'll grow of slowly fade it out. It seems to really benefits my hair so far.

maus
December 11th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I think part of the scalp issue was due to wearing my hair in updo's that caused some tension or unbalanced styles. I can wear pony tails high up anymore...causes issues.
Perhaps, the dry air also made an impact. I have been putting coconut oil and aloe on my scalp as a healing salve. (So far so good)
I just don't want to over burden my hair follicles ( naturally fine ) with hair too heavy for what they are genetically designed to support... Maybe I am over thinking this a bit LOL. =/
I guess I am trying to figure out whether I should keep henna'n my hair for as long as it'll grow of slowly fade it out. It seems to really benefits my hair so far.

That's probably it (the high up ponytails and updos), as well as dry scalp. I use olive oil on my scalp before I wash my hair, leaving it on for about 2 hours. Works wonders, no itches anymore. :) .

I think Henna is awesome, but hey, again, I have only been doing it for a couple of months, so don't really know. I would say if you like the benefits, keep doing it. Or maybe try to do Henna glosses for a little while, and see how you like it. :poot:

Good luck!

princessp
December 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Hip length henna hair here. :) Try massaging some castor, coconut, and/or jojoba oil on your scalp and see if that helps. Castor oil has definitely helped my hair grow faster. my scalp was acting funny but now it feels pretty good after starting with the oils. I also got rid of the fragrances in my shampoo/conditioners (could have been the culprit). I water my shampoo down and do a CWC with an ACV rinse. All this seems to really help.