PDA

View Full Version : Hairstlye for work Christmas party?

nytquill
December 11th, 2010, 08:27 AM
My workplace is having a dinner party for Christmas next Saturday the 18th (so, in a week). It's not crucial yet but I'm wondering what I should do with my hair! (I'm also wondering what to wear, but that's another story!)

Here are the factors going in: I'll have about a 20-minute bus ride to get to the restaurant. Also it's winter so below-zero (celsius) temps outside. At work I normally have my hair braided or up in a simple bun, so I'd like to do something different for the party, something that's more who I REALLY am than just who I am when I'm at work. But at heart I am a very casual person so if I have a really fancy fussy kind of updo I'll just be worried about it all night instead of enjoying myself.

I'm not sure if I want to leave my hair down (the damage, the tangling, aah!) or do a half-up (makes it more obvious how thin/fine my hair is) but those are possibilities too.

Is a puzzlement! Obviously I will have to make a compromise somehow and accept some downsides.

So...any ideas for a simple, but pretty hairdo that will let me show off my hair a little? :D

LisaButz2001
December 11th, 2010, 08:49 AM
French Twist, Gibson Tuck or that style where you do a French Braid and join them together to form a bun, not a cinnamon bun, but they're like a coronet, sorry it has a name just not sure of it.

bunzfan
December 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
What about this? http://www.youtube.com/user/IsabelleNaturelle#p/u/0/rrJYzX4cbXU it looks very pretty and is easy to do:)

Torrin Paige
December 11th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Once you decide what you're wearing, perhaps you can get a pretty scarf to compliment your outfit and do something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q_Rk5SOOWM
Your hair is a good length for it and it'll be fancy looking but won't take a lot of work for maximum impact. You also won't have to worry about it holding up. :)

Oh, but of course don't use rubber bands! Use a nice, metal free hair tie. I admit to cringing when she whipped out those rubber bands. Ahh!

Wish
December 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Try hair tinsel! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23916. Perfect for a Christmas party, and, once you get the hang of it, super easy to put them in.

Dragon
December 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Down but if you don't want to deal with the tangles, your favourite type of bun with your favourite hair toy.

nytquill
December 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Good ideas all! I will add them to the list of things I'm considering :)

Hmm...my hair is too fine for a fairytale braid to really look good, though I have done a similar hairstlye with the braids not braided in on the sides.

I've been playing around this afternoon to see if I could manage a cute retro looking ponytail but I can't get the crown lift to work right. I don't own a bump and I refuse to tease, I tried the topsy tail thing and I tried just rolling my own hair under but I couldn't get it right. I think it would be really cute if I could figure out a way to do the split front section, a hair-friendly bump and maybe some curls on the ends...but I don't think I can get that to all come together in a way that I will be confident wearing out. Le sigh.

Curse my round head/facial features and fine hair! :P

maus
December 11th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I go to this page whenever I am looking for a fancy hairdo...

http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/default.asp

pepperminttea
December 11th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Peacock twist? Shows off some length and condition, but not completely down, and more winter coat friendly. :)

C. sinensis
December 11th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Rosestem! :D

With or without French braids, with the stem braided or loose...it's a great style. :)

GrowingGlory
December 14th, 2010, 02:19 AM
There is a styling tool called the Conair Hi-Styles that would give your hair the retro bump. There is also a Goody Volume Boost Comb that does the same thing in a different way.

tinti
December 14th, 2010, 08:36 AM
What a side bun/braid?

nytquill
December 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I just want to thank you all for all your help and suggestions on my various threads this past week.

I'm all dressed and ready, leaving in about 20 min and I think my hair is PERFECT. Last night I clarified, SMTed with coconut oil added in, gently washed it out with an sls-free shampoo, and while my hair was still wet mixed 1-2 drops jojoba with a drop of bergamot EO in my palms and ran it through the lengths and ends. I also used a teeny bit of Pantene detangler that I had lying around (amodimethicone) for slip and anti-static.

I re-wet and re-oiled just the last 3 inches with another drop of jojoba earlier. I have never been so happy with my hair as I am right now I think. It's almost to hip, straight and shiny and soft. I got my new mid-calf boots on and I am ready to go knock them out! :D

I'll be wearing it in a lazy wrap for the ride over and back just so I don't incur too much damage, and I'll have the hairstick in my purse if I want to put it back while I'm eating or what have you. I finally learned lazy wrap today just for this purpose!