PDA

View Full Version : Products containing Miconazole Nitrate that I don't need a prescription for?

BellCat
December 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I'm really excited about trying this to boost growth after reading alot of peoples experiences with it. Problem is I don't know how to get it without a prescription? Does anyone know if MN is in any other products (preferably cheap products) ?

RachelRain
December 11th, 2010, 07:40 AM
isn't that monistat? that should be OTC - at least, it was when I was in college, cuz I remember picking some up for my roomate while I was buying all kinds of OTC birth controls for a dorm floor project on safe sex.

nytquill
December 11th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Yep, it's a fungicide so you find it in some (maybe not all - have to read the ingredients) yeast infection treatments, which are OTC, and some foot fungus treatments too I think, which are also OTC. There are prescription-strength versions of these I'm sure, but you don't absolutely need a prescription just to get your hands on some :)

BellCat
December 11th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I just found something else called Clotrimazole which is in alot of anti fungal creams - one of its side affects is excessive hair growth :O ??

RachelRain
December 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I just found something else called Clotrimazole which is in alot of anti fungal creams - one of its side affects is excessive hair growth :O ??

ahh, I remember that one. Lotrimin!! my boyfriend's sister in law used it for a while and was complaining about that.

now, granted, I've never used this stuff on my head, but... it's a cream. wouldn't it be kind of difficult to get through your hair? you'd think most of it would just stick to and absorb into your hair...

monsterna
December 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'm using Monistat 2% MN right now -- well, the generic. Only done two applications so far. Here is one thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156&page=1) on it.

monsterna
December 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM
ahh, I remember that one. Lotrimin!! my boyfriend's sister in law used it for a while and was complaining about that.

now, granted, I've never used this stuff on my head, but... it's a cream. wouldn't it be kind of difficult to get through your hair? you'd think most of it would just stick to and absorb into your hair...

Most people in those Monistat threads find it easier to apply to damp hair. The cream doesn't get gunky, it pretty much dissipates as soon as reaching your hair. Some apply it with their fingertips while they bend over, so as to reach the scalp easier through the hair. Some dilute it in a couple tablespoons of water and apply it by using those bottles that are used to apply hair dye.

suicides_eve
December 11th, 2010, 07:01 PM
MN is found OTC in most places including Family Dollar.. No prescription is needed in the States.

RachelRain
December 13th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Most people in those Monistat threads find it easier to apply to damp hair. The cream doesn't get gunky, it pretty much dissipates as soon as reaching your hair. Some apply it with their fingertips while they bend over, so as to reach the scalp easier through the hair. Some dilute it in a couple tablespoons of water and apply it by using those bottles that are used to apply hair dye.

ah, that makes sense then. especially using a bottle... hmm.

Anje
December 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Depends where you are. In most of the USA, MN is available over the counter as Monistat, and usually located with all the female hygiene products. I don't know if it's in all states, though -- some states have things as prescription-only that other states sell OTC. I think one of the zillion Lotramin formulations uses it, but IIRC it was relatively pricey compared to other athlete's foot treatments. (Also, there are something like 10 different drugs for athlete's foot, so whether you find the right one where you look for it will be hit-and-miss.) I think in places in Europe there's an athlete's foot treatment called Daktrin that contains MN, but I haven't seen it over here.

It might work, but it's not the same thing.

If all else fails, I'm sure you can buy it online without needing a prescription. Here's some on Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/Miconazole-Nitrate-%25-Antifungal-Cream/dp/B00164LKQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292269846&sr=8-1)