PDA

View Full Version : Updo ideas on longer knotted hair

Ludde
December 11th, 2010, 07:17 AM
At the moment I feel like trying new ideas for updos. I have searched youtube and googled some, but it's just like when I had unknotted hair; so many updos are difficult to get around when you have a little longer hair. I repeatedly seem to end up with too much hair left. Also, and this is where it gets tricky, I dream about updos that my fumbling uncooperative fingers can manage. As it is the most advanced I do is giant mouse-ears on top, four low braids, knot a couple of layers in back and the rest loose ... and that is it.

Anyone with a suggestion - or three?

eezepeeze
December 12th, 2010, 01:35 PM
What is knotted hair? like dreadlocks?

Ludde
December 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Correct :)

Aeltt
December 13th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Here (http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memories.bml?user=get_up_dread_up&keyword=Styles%20for%20Dreadlocks&filter=all) maybe ?
There are lot of ideas, but i'm too lazy to search..:p
Good luck !

(lovely locks by the way )

Anje
December 13th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Can you twist into anything resembling a bun, or is your hair just too big?

A massive french twist might work, but you'll need some massive pins/forks to secure it.

Ludde
December 13th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Aeltt; thanks for comment and link. There are a lot of ideas there, but I have had difficulty in making them work for real. They may look ok if I stand still by the mirror, but after having turned around to separate two puppies or, more common, two puppies, one cat and one child, most updos have already started their inevitable road downwards. One of the wraps work, though, even after I have been on horseback.

Anje, yes, I can twist all of it into a rather ok bun, but from there to get it to stick seems mindboggling. But writing this, I wonder; would a knitting needle do the job?

Intransigentia
December 13th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I use bent knitting needles as forks/pins for my much-smaller, un-knotted hair, so I bet they'd work for you straight!

Anje
December 13th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Knitting needles make good hairsticks, and they come in all kinds of lengths. Chopsticks are good too, though you'll probably want one with a smooth, pointy tip (Japanese style, not Chinese style chopstick). They're long for most folks at about 9 inches, but I imagine they'd be a decent length for locs.

I like to point people to Eadwine's 10sec quick bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YIyUGn2pI) as a good starter for securing hair with sticks, because it's the sort of bun that that just uses the stick to hold it all together. Of course, if you have more length, you can wind them around the ponytail, turning it into a nautilus bun.

DreadfulWoman
December 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Oh, definitely yes to chopsticks. :thumbsup: I use them all the time. And you can find them in a billion different styles and colors.

As far as updos, the only ones I use on a regular basis are a cinnabun that barely makes it around once before I tuck the ends in, and a low folded ponytail with the ends tucked into the loop on one side, and held with a big scrunchie because an elastic would not survive that.

A chinese bun is good, too. I make mine held with a chopstick, and start with two halves of my hair crossed instead of a ponytail.

Also, I have always founds hairpins (the U-shaped kind) to be very dread-friendly. I really want to try the folded-over-double-pointed-needle hairpin thing as well, but I haven't been able to decide on a set to sacrifice yet...

Some good ideas on that link, BTW. ;)