PDA

View Full Version : Updo on man?

Avvoltoio
December 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM
What updo, braid, are not too feminine, and looking good on a man?

I am curious, and i would try some, cause i always wear my hair down.

ETA:

i try to make all style what are suggested here :), now only i did the most easiest
Half-up, low and high ponytail:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62355
My first braid:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62416

All picture can be found in my album too

GrowingGlory
December 10th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Historically Muslim, Hindu and Jewish men have worn updos, usually fastened with a fork or a stick. Indigenous men still wear braids and sometimes fasten them upward for riding horseback.

silverjen
December 10th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Either a low ponytail, or a single braid. Both look masculine to me.

Victorious
December 10th, 2010, 05:21 PM
The Navajo Indians in south west USA wear a masculine bun. I'll try to get you more info and a pic.

Victorious
December 10th, 2010, 05:52 PM
try youtube Frybread & Navajo Bun also try Man hair buns lots of videos
BTW great music on your facebook page

princessp
December 10th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Top knot (Samurai Look).

TwilightBloom
December 10th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I have seen low braids, but never an updo, hmmm i second the youtube, search and see what you find..:cool:

HannahDelicious
December 10th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I think anything you wear would look pretty masculine considering that you are a guy. It's all in the facial structure and whatnot. :)

But I get the point that fancy hairstyles would probably stand out too much for comfort. I think regular and even french braids can look really good without getting too flashy. Low ponytails also look good, and I have seen some medium ponytails look pretty awesome on guys.

Artsy
December 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM
:cheese:I'm a fan of dutch braid on guys. To me it looks attractive, way more attractive than tangled pony

christine1989
December 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I second the dutch braid. A 5 strand braid also looks nice but not too overtly feminine.

Nat242
December 10th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I'm not going to weigh in on what's masculine and what's not; my partner wears his hair in a single french braid, a ponytail, a banded ponytail, and on special occasions, a cinnamon bun or a nautilus bun, held by some lovely stainless steel hairsticks custom made by Nightshade (Nightblooming store on Etsy). I think all styles look very handsome on him.

ddiana1979
December 10th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I really like low ponytails & braids on men. I've never seen one on a person in real life, but one of those rope braids that Torrin Page shows how to do on her YouTube videos could be extremely masculine. . . after all, they're based on twisting fibers for rope & nautical knots, etc. Also anything based of of Legolas' styles in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. . . well, IMO, that'd be hot. :) I wouldn't begin to know where to look for "how-tos" but lots of male warriors historically had long hair. . . the Samurais etc., would by default be masculine. And of course there are gorgeous Native American styles for men.

akuamoonmaui
December 10th, 2010, 08:17 PM
A Samuri (?) bun done well is sophisticated.

Coan-Teen
December 10th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Just like short hair can be feminine, I think most updos can also be masculine. It's all in how you carry yourself. Anyone who would think otherwise is not worth your time. ^_^ Just try them out and see what you like.

C. sinensis
December 10th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Personally, I'm rather fond of the half-up/half-tail look on guys. :-)
Not exactly an "updo", but it's still different than down...

*relurks*

Wind Dragon
December 10th, 2010, 10:05 PM
You can pull off whatever you can feel comfortable and confident in. ;)

Personally, I'm rather fond of the half-up/half-tail look on guys. :-)
Not exactly an "updo", but it's still different than down...

*relurks*

Wwhenever any of my fellas have had long hair, a half-up has always been the "dressy" do. :D It's never failed to look hot to me, at least on my guys.

swiftbn
December 10th, 2010, 11:53 PM
well im a guy and if i do happen to have an up do it would be to wear it up in a bun and this to me would be the best way for me to have it completely up off of my face and clearly out of my eyes. as long as my hair is i couldnt see myself with a pony or even with the braid. its way too long and way too thick and heavy, and besides id still have to push it out of my eyes every 3 seconds.

Dragon
December 11th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I think a low ponytail, or a single braid looks best on men.

Long_hair_guy
December 11th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I will always say 'if you can rock it then wear it'.

I hate going out with my hair down, low ponytail or single plain braid. I would start out easy ponytail then braid, rope braid etc and you should only be limited by your own imagination.

keepmyhair
December 11th, 2010, 01:28 AM
You can pull off whatever you can feel comfortable and confident in. ;)

I second that. If you are comfortable and confident, then most styles will look good.

As for updo styles, I think a bun, braid, ponytail (low or medium) will all look good.

A half updo with hair pinned behind is definitely very comfortable. Though I am not sure how it looks. I may try it outside one of these days. Will post reactions I get from people.

Khiwanean
December 11th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I will always say 'if you can rock it then wear it'. That is an awesome way to put it. I agree.

milagro
December 11th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I vote tight French braid or low pony.

Lemur_Catta
December 11th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I don't really like buns on guys, but I love braids! An English or a Dutch braid would look awesome on you. I don't really like French braids though, they look a bit too feminine...it probably doesn't make sense, I know :D
Once I dutch braided a friend's hair and it looked fantastic. It was wavier and thinner than yours though, but I bet it would look good the same.
Here, a lot of guys with long hair wear it in messy, high buns held with elastics, but I really *hate* that look, it just looks like they are never going to detangle it! Or they sport the same bun with elastic, but with heavily gelled hair. I don't like that either.
Clean, tidy hair in a braid or ponytail is much better for a guy, in my opinion!

linda g
December 11th, 2010, 05:59 AM
try youtube Frybread & Navajo Bun also try Man hair buns lots of videos
BTW great music on your facebook page

I looked this up and found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-t0eChjoc

About halfway through the video, it shows a Navajo bun being styled, very cool. I'm not a guy, but I'm going to try this, since it looks interesting!

Ludde
December 11th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Updos, single braid, french braid - oh yes to all! But my personal favourite on men are two low braids.

LisaButz2001
December 11th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I've personally seen a guy here with a french braid and another with a scrunchie held cinnamon bun, and whilst I was surprised that they were confident enough to sport them neither looked feminine.

KLin
December 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
My boys are young, but have mid back length hair. They wear low ponytails, or *half up pony for Karate class. *we call it jedi style because they are so into Star Wars.
When my husband had waist length hair and only a motorcycle, I would low braid, or section with elastics to keep it from being tangled by the wind. But he preferred it down most of the time.

Fractalsofhair
December 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Braids work well for guys. I do think most updos look a little girly, but I have seen guys with plainer looking buns that look fine. I think a bun with a poof at the top and (heat styled) curls coming down might look a little silly for a guy. I'd also go with plainer or more masculine looking hairsticks for guys. A bright pink hairstick with beads and dangles on it might not be the best idea, but a plain wood ones would be fine I think. (This is presuming you want a traditional masculine appearance. Nothing wrong with a guy wearing bright pink hairsticks and curled "prom/wedding" updos if he wants to.) And even then, if you look like a guy, your hair won't make a difference. Facial structures are generally pretty clear, and men don't have as defined waists and such as women, so I doubt you'll be mistaken for a woman ever.

C. sinensis
December 11th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Wwhenever any of my fellas have had long hair, a half-up has always been the "dressy" do. :D It's never failed to look hot to me, at least on my guys.

It is, indeed, an awesome dressy look. :D

I looked this up and found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-t0eChjoc

About halfway through the video, it shows a Navajo bun being styled, very cool. I'm not a guy, but I'm going to try this, since it looks interesting!

Whoa, cool!

DARKMARTIAN
December 11th, 2010, 05:57 PM
..... so I doubt you'll be mistaken for a woman ever.

Wish i could say that....
I think the facial hair helps to prevent that somewhat though. Nor is my body structure indicative of a female. But I still get mistaken for a woman when im driving.....:eyebrows:.
When I used to drive my old truck, one time I actually put a sticker on the side window that said "sorry guys" because I kept getting dudes who would pull up beside me craning their necks. And they either had big smiles that went away instantaneously or the exact opposite....:o

PraiseCheeses
December 11th, 2010, 06:07 PM
DARKMARTIAN, that is too funny!! LOL

In response to the general thread, here's another vote for simple low ponytails or English braids being very sexy on men.

Avvoltoio
December 13th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the good advices :)

I will try some, and as my friend gives back my camera i will upload photos from it :)

Victorious
December 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Linda g, thank you for adding the link for the Navajo Man's bun. It is called a Tsiiyeel or sometimes the spanish word Chongo. I tried it in my baby fine hair and it worked. No elastics and very comfortable.

Tia2010
December 14th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I rarely see guys around here with long hair and the ones I do see usually just have it in either a ponytail or braid. When I finally saw a guy wearing a messy bun with hair stick it was all I could do to contain my excitement and not stare at his hair like an idiot :rolleyes: so needless to say I think a guy in a messy bun with hair sticks looks rather good :D .Aside from that any style you wear that you feel confident in is a good choice.

Tom Steinberg
December 14th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I often wear my hair up in a simple bun. I see occasional guys who has the same style, so I can't be THAT out of fashion :)

midnightwolf
December 30th, 2010, 11:01 AM
i second the top knot/ samurai look. i just googled it and there seems to be a good few different styles that look good under samurai hair, for example there are some that are just in a high pony tail that still look masculine. i think its a matter of trial and error for what you feel comfortable in and what suits you.

HairFaerie
December 30th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I think a braid/braids look good on men. Either Native American style single or double braids.

Also, styles that come from movies like Lord of the Rings look cool too! (I am thinking two small braids on the front down the sides or two braids in the front that are tied together in the back).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ozo7z2zkqWs/TC58Kl8L1YI/AAAAAAAAC5Q/YIB9A3xk4-c/s1600/legolas020.jpg

This one is AWESOME:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ozo7z2zkqWs/TC58LOpEdiI/AAAAAAAAC5Y/SGRGrAJd_aA/s1600/legolas1.jpg

Or like this:
http://stars.ign.com/articles/898/898576p5.html

I think any of these would look great on you.

Just my opinion...

sibylla
December 30th, 2010, 12:41 PM
The dutch braid called Mohikan is a good look I think (it takes time to make but it holds the whole day.I think Yellowchariot here on LHC wears it.(I have a picture in my gallery when I wear it).A personal favourite is a ponytail made with many small black or brown rubber band all the way down.

Irishred
December 30th, 2010, 07:23 PM
There are not many men around here that have longer hair and the few I see have one of 3 styles... loose, ponytail or simple braid. I do know 2 young men at school who barely make pony tails with their just below shoulder hair. Considering we are supposed to be learning how to be professional, I would LOVE to help them learn how to do a simple braid. Granted they are a drummer and a guitarist but even they are expected to look professional no matter what type of music they play.

My favorite male styles are a french herringbone braid, or a low french braid. Either can be done as half ups also. (adding a couple lace braids on the sides for that Legolas look :) )

As for a bun, some guys can pull it off while others cannot. I believe a low bun looks better but that is just me.

Sinisiew
December 31st, 2010, 01:54 AM
The herringbone braid tied off with a nice ribbon, eg navy, forestgreen or black in velvet or silk could be really nice

Les
December 31st, 2010, 04:50 AM
I wear a figure-8 or a simple bun quite often. I think they work well as a man's style.

caadam
December 31st, 2010, 04:55 AM
I think a braid/braids look good on men. Either Native American style single or double braids.

Also, styles that come from movies like Lord of the Rings look cool too! (I am thinking two small braids on the front down the sides or two braids in the front that are tied together in the back).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ozo7z2zkqWs/TC58Kl8L1YI/AAAAAAAAC5Q/YIB9A3xk4-c/s1600/legolas020.jpg

This one is AWESOME:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ozo7z2zkqWs/TC58LOpEdiI/AAAAAAAAC5Y/SGRGrAJd_aA/s1600/legolas1.jpg

Or like this:
http://stars.ign.com/articles/898/898576p5.html

I think any of these would look great on you.

Just my opinion...

The first and second image you gave are actually the same
hairstyle. ♥ You just can't see Legolas' lovely herringbone
braid behind his head in the image you linked. :D Also his
hair looks awfully messy in that picture. lol That's not your
fault, obviously; I was just noticing it because I'm weird like
that.

And way to suggest a Qui-Gon Jinn hairstyle! I love Qui-Gon,
and Obi-Wan.

Both are cool man 'dos.

Avvoltoio
December 31st, 2010, 05:12 AM
i try to make all style what are suggested here :), now only i did the most easiest
Half-up, low and high ponytail:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62355
My first braid:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62416

All picture can be found in my album too

Veer666
December 31st, 2010, 06:05 AM
I wish my partner would try some new things with his waist lenght hair. He rarely wears it down, only when we perform on stage with the band.
Every other day, even at night, he wears it in a low ponytail.

I've tried braiding it, but he just doesn't like it i guess...

Do you have any tips in how to persuade him? He has such beautiful hair that it is a waste not to do anything with it...

But in the end, it is his choice and i respect that.

Avvoltoio
December 31st, 2010, 02:38 PM
I wish my partner would try some new things with his waist lenght hair. He rarely wears it down, only when we perform on stage with the band.
Every other day, even at night, he wears it in a low ponytail.

I've tried braiding it, but he just doesn't like it i guess...

Do you have any tips in how to persuade him? He has such beautiful hair that it is a waste not to do anything with it...

But in the end, it is his choice and i respect that.

Hmm good question, my gf never wanted persuade me that, but i weared down my hair 99% of time, and i not wanted persuade her too :).

I think you should do for him some updo, bun, and the braid more time, maybe he will like some, show him some picture of men with updo, or when walk on the road with each other and see man with updo, suggest he should try it too.

To wear his hair down more time i don't really know good solution, get of the hairtie from his hair, make compliments more often if it is down :), try to speak with some of your gf to make a compliment on his hair when they see it down :cool:

Veer666
January 1st, 2011, 05:29 AM
Hmm good question, my gf never wanted persuade me that, but i weared down my hair 99% of time, and i not wanted persuade her too :).

I think you should do for him some updo, bun, and the braid more time, maybe he will like some, show him some picture of men with updo, or when walk on the road with each other and see man with updo, suggest he should try it too.

To wear his hair down more time i don't really know good solution, get of the hairtie from his hair, make compliments more often if it is down :), try to speak with some of your gf to make a compliment on his hair when they see it down :cool:

Thank you for the advice!

I just love men with long hair. It's just a waste not to do anything else than a ponytail with his beautiful hair. Hopefully he will wair it down or in a braid or updo more often in the future. We'll see.

Maybe he will do something nice for our wedding :)

Maybe it is that simple to just compliment him more often. I will certainly try!

Avvoltoio
January 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Thank you for the advice!

I just love men with long hair. It's just a waste not to do anything else than a ponytail with his beautiful hair. Hopefully he will wair it down or in a braid or updo more often in the future. We'll see.

Maybe he will do something nice for our wedding :)

Maybe it is that simple to just compliment him more often. I will certainly try!

I am happy if i can help :)

for me mading compliments would work to try and wear more updo :D, but i don't know your dbf :)

Highpony
January 2nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
I actually have a 14 yr old brother who has long blond hair. He wears his hair up in buns, high ponytail and even Side ponytail. It looks really good on him

bettylibertine
January 2nd, 2011, 12:40 AM
I definitely vote for a single braid or low pony :)